• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republican Debate 10 [CNN] Super Tuesday Bros. Melee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except he doesn't keep it real; he does the exact opposite, in fact. When he's not being vague as hell as to what he plans on doing, he makes shit up and lies all the time. There's no part of him that keeps anything real.

He's literally the mirror image of a politician. He bullshits about everything and anything except for certain things politicians avoid saying out of decorum and mutually beneficial interests.

sangreal

Isn't his entire plan allowing insurers to sell across state lines which is not much of a plan? I mean all of the candidates agree with it, so how is that his entire plan. Isn't his plan essentially to make health care better and stronger (mechanics TBD).

he doesn't have a plan. He has only released plans for 5 issues, none of which are healthcare. Still, that puts him inline with every other repeal-and-replace republican

So yeah, "make helathcare grea again (mechanics tbd)"

but at least people won't be dying in the streets

Except he doesn't keep it real; he does the exact opposite, in fact. When he's not being vague as hell as to what he plans on doing, he makes shit up and lies all the time. There's no part of him that keeps anything real.

How is this different than Rubio, Kasich, Cruz, etc?

Trump at least has some populist ideas instead of spewing batshit insane policies that the other candidates are doing 100%.

Trump is the closest thing to a moderate the republicans have unfortunately. But regardless of who wins the republican nominee, Bernie should be able to beat them.
I see Hillary having a really tough time with Trump

Trump really seemed like the only sane one worth having even if he is so vague.

To Rubio and Cruz: Not everyone cares to be part of the Reagan revolution. They are just towing the party line in the same sense Americans hate about party politics. Conservative ideological purity will only get you so far on a national stage.

jmood88

How is different than Rubio, Kasich, Cruz, etc?

Trump at least has some populist ideas instead of spewing batshit insane policies that the other candidates are doing 100%.

Trump is the closest thing to a moderate the republicans have unfortunately. But regardless of who wins the republican nominee, Bernie should be able to beat them.
I see Hillary having a really tough time with Trump
It's not different than the other candidates, which was the point. People keep talking about him being so "real" when he's not doing anything differently than almost any other politician, he just directly insults people more and doesn't fake like he's humble.

Adaren

It's not different than the other candidates, which was the point. People keep talking about him being so "real" when he's not doing anything differently than almost any other politician, he just directly insults people more and doesn't fake like he's humble.

A large part of his "realness" stems from Cruz and Rubio doing their best to stick to the standard GOP stance on almost all of the issues (as shadowsdarknes pointed out). Meanwhile, Trump is clearly espousing opinions that originated in his own head, not in some GOP planning room (e.g. his various immigration plans, Planned Parenthood, Israel, etc.). And when people call him out on not having a standard GOP stance, he doubles down on them.

It might be calculated, but it definitely comes off as less calculated than Rubio/Cruz.

Calamari41

41 > 38
A large part of his "realness" stems from Cruz and Rubio doing their best to stick to the standard GOP stance on almost all of the issues (as shadowsdarknes pointed out). Meanwhile, Trump is clearly espousing opinions that originated in his own head, not in some GOP planning room (e.g. his various immigration plans, Planned Parenthood, Israel, etc.). And when people call him out on not having a standard GOP stance, he doubles down on them.

It might be calculated, but it definitely comes off as less calculated than Rubio/Cruz.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I definitely think this is an understated Trump advantage going forward. He doesn't have to sit there and defend unpopular GOP stances in the general election. He can pick and choose what will make people across all spectrums like him. I mean, how would Romney have done if he had been believably pro gay marriage, pro Planned Parenthood (minus the abortions), viciously anti-Bush and anti-Iraq, etc? I don't know if he would have won, but he certainly would have done a heck of a lot better.

Trump has no shot in the general, don't kid yourselves. Hillary is not going to let him bloviate unchallenged for months and months before taking him on. He'll probably do better than some expect, but he's not going to flip the states that matter.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Trump has no shot in the general, don't kid yourselves. Hillary is not going to let him bloviate unchallenged for months and months before taking him on. He'll probably do better than some expect, but he's not going to flip the states that matter.

Hillary should definitely be favored, without a doubt. But if Trump can flip some of the traditionally Democratic white blue collar union vote in the rust belt while seeing African American turnout down compared to the years when the popular first black president was running, well, he will be dangerous. 100% Latino turnout against him in California, Nevada, Colorado, and New Mexico won't change the map from 2012.

Hillary should definitely be favored, without a doubt. But if Trump can flip some of the traditionally Democratic white blue collar union vote in the rust belt while seeing African American turnout down compared to the years when the popular first black president was running, well, he will be dangerous. 100% Latino turnout against him in California, Nevada, Colorado, and New Mexico won't change the map from 2012.

I'm just not seeing how he gets to 270, though.

I'm playing with the electoral map - even if you flip PA, IA, and OH, which probably won't happen, Trump needs FL which has a heavy Latino population that, contrary to popular belief, is not all conservative Cuban voters.

Flip FL and OH and Trump still needs PA or IA, both of which have been blue since Clinton, IIRC.

He would have to flip A LOT of states all at once just to scrape by, and the demographics for those states mean that it's going to be hard for him to flip all of them.

Also remember that Trump's got white working class voters' economic concerns in mind, but the unions still love Hillary and she can pivot to talking in a broadly economic populist manner too (and she most certainly will) in the general.

lenovox1

It depends on what happens to Sanders' base.

Young people? What would happen among that voting demographic that would shape the race? I'm not seeing, logically, how Clinton looses Ohio, Pennsylvania or Florida, even if the youth and young adult vote dips to 1996 levels.

Future

Isn't his entire plan allowing insurers to sell across state lines which is not much of a plan? I mean all of the candidates agree with it, so how is that his entire plan. Isn't his plan essentially to make health care better and stronger (mechanics TBD).

His idea is that once insurance companies have to compete against each other across state lines then prices will naturally go down. That IS the crux of his plan. Still keep insurance companies, but drive prices downward by increasing competition.
What additional details are people expecting? What candidate has a more detailed healthcare plan than that?

Adaren

His idea is that once insurance companies have to compete against each other across state lines then prices will naturally go down. That IS the crux of his plan. Still keep insurance companies, but drive prices downward by increasing competition.
What additional details are people expecting? What candidate has a more detailed healthcare plan than that?

I still can't believe that part of the debate happened.

"What's your plan?"
"You'll be able to choose your plan!"
"But what's your plan?!"
"YOU'LL HAVE SO MANY PLANS TO CHOOSE FROM!!"

Like, I literally can't believe it. Did I misunderstand what was going on lol?

"What's your plan?"
"But what's your plan?!"

Rubio is smart enough to know allowing national competition won't pay for no pre-existing conditions. Trump also knows this, but is remaining vague on the rest of his plan, likely because he'll use it to pivot to the center a bit in the general.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Rubio is smart enough to know allowing national competition won't pay for no pre-existing conditions. Trump also knows this, but is remaining vague on the rest of his plan, likely because he'll use it to pivot to the center a bit in the general.

If I recall, Trump's answer to pre-existing conditions was that the insurance fat cats "can afford it." That's not too bad of an answer for the current political climate.

Ogimachi

"What's your plan?"
"But what's your plan?!"

It was a misunderstanding. Trump thought they were talking about the plans offered by insurance companies, while Rubio and the moderator were asking about his plan to replace Obamacare.
Trump even said "the companies will offer many different plans" or something like that.

This is his stance on health care, from one of his books:

I’m a conservative on most issues but a liberal on health. It is an unacceptable but accurate fact that the number of uninsured Americans has risen to 42 million. Working out detailed plans will take time. But the goal should be clear: Our people are our greatest asset. We must take care of our own. We must have universal healthcare.

Our objective [should be] to make reforms for the moment and, longer term, to find an equivalent of the single-payer plan that is affordable, well-administered, and provides freedom of choice. Possible? The good news is, yes. There is already a system in place-the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program-that can act as a guide for all healthcare reform. It operates through a centralized agency that offers considerable range of choice. While this is a government program, it is also very much market-based. It allows 620 private insurance companies to compete for this market. Once a year participants can choose from plans which vary in benefits and costs.

I think he may go that far in the general election, and it's still consistent with what he's been saying.

Future

If I recall, Trump's answer to pre-existing conditions was that the insurance fat cats "can afford it." That's not too bad of an answer for the current political climate.

Exactly. He is saying oddly what most people probably believe: insurance companies make a fortune because the climate they are in doesn't promote competition and they can do anything they want. Of course insurance companies say they can't afford pre existing, but they will say whatever they need to in order to preserve their fat income. Add competition to the mix and you might find they can afford it after all

Kasich's meek and overly-respectful routine is really irritating. He has never acted like that as governor.

Good golly geez

If Bernie can't beat Hillary, what makes you think he's more capable to handle the Republicans?

Not saying he's more capable of handling the republicans but you should know primary results are seldom indicative of general results. He may not be some democrats first choice but of course they'd vote for him over Trump. For example, you'd have to hold a gun to me for me to willingly vote for Hillary Clinton in a primary. Doesn't mean I won't vote for her in November.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Exactly. He is saying oddly what most people probably believe: insurance companies make a fortune because the climate they are in doesn't promote competition and they can do anything they want. Of course insurance companies say they can't afford pre existing, but they will say whatever they need to in order to preserve their fat income. Add competition to the mix and you might find they can afford it after all

Everyone in the country watches their premiums increase by double digit percentages every year while copays and deductibles go up, and they themselves aren't consuming any more healthcare year by year. People definitely know what's up, and it's not insurance executives/investors starving and living paycheck to paycheck.

Has anyone taken the scene from the Civil War trailer of Cap and Buck bodying Iron Man and put Cruz, Marco, and Trump's faces on? Because that's what I'd do if I knew how.

leDhQWi.gif

Looks like Trump with have some sort of a announcement today.

Wonder what?

Just another endorsement maybe?

Probably Texas politician. I'm guessing Texas senator John Cornyn lol.

Thank you.

Now that I'm sober and only have a light headache this morning, I like Rubio did a good job calling out Trump for his questionable history. All hail the anti-Trump!

No problem. Not my gif though, found it in poligaf. Not sure who made it.

Also remember that Trump's got white working class voters' economic concerns in mind, but the unions still love Hillary and she can pivot to talking in a broadly economic populist manner too (and she most certainly will) in the general.

They really don't. There is a lot of discontent in the union rank and file and it would be really easy for Trump to peel off the membership even if the leadership endorses Hillary.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
They really don't. There is a lot of discontent in the union rank and file and it would be really easy for Trump to peel off the membership even if the leadership endorses Hillary.

I would be shocked. To me, union folks voting republican is about as likely as KKK members voting for Obama.

Renji_11

I think the biggest issue I heard about the states lines it that like in the banking industry. Where all of the insurance companies will go to the state with the weakest regulations and rules and it could end up being worst than it is now.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I would be shocked. To me, union folks voting republican is about as likely as KKK members voting for Obama.

That's just it, though. They'd be voting Trump, not Republican. Trump has run against the GOP more than he's run against anything having to do with the Democrats.

The guy went into Bush Country (South Carolina) and, red faced, said essentially that Bush was responsible for 9/11. And then blew everyone else away in the state.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

Yeah, out of all the things to press Trump on, I'm baffled Rubio chose that one.

Also Trump be Trumpin' on Twitter right now: https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump?lang=en

6qSn6x1.png

HylianTom

Banned
I suspect he's repeating the "choke artist" thing in order to subconsciously associate Rubio with the other "safe establishment guy" who was supposed to win it all in 2012.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I suspect he's repeating the "choke artist" thing in order to subconsciously associate Rubio with the other "safe establishment guy" who was supposed to win it all in 2012.

It's a great brand to hit him with. I mean, yeah, Rubio is polling ahead of Hillary in too-early GE polls... but does anybody doubt that he would choke and fail to close the deal? He's running on the fact that he beats Hillary, and this cuts straight to the issue everybody subconsciously or consciously has with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom