• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republican Debate 7 [Fox News] One does not simply win Iowa

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point, I'm not sure if Fox has the sway necessary to push Rubio on their viewers. A *ton* of them seem to be all-in for Trump, and this debate isn't going to change that a bit.

Could this be the beginning of the end of Fox News' dominance in Republican politics? Sadly, probably not, but I still love to see them squirm. Even Fox can't stump the Trump.

(Also, Trump obviously has someone on the inside over at Fox News. There's no way he would just drop out of the debate on short notice unless he knew *something* was up.)

Your implying fox has competition in republican politics?

The GOP candidates are ALL terrible in different ways but the complete and total humiliation of Santorum and Hickabee warms the heart of this gay dude!

Blader

Yep, the quality of Politico's journalism has been absolutely terrible this cycle. They've gone from the must-read place to an absolute mire of sycophantic, establishment wisdom opinions driven purely by a "It's a knife edge contest!" narrative.

I don't see what's so wrong with the reporting, other than that they badly need another round of copy editing.

The GOP candidates are ALL terrible in different ways but the complete and total humiliation of Santorum and Hickabee warms the heart of this gay dude!

I keep forgetting Santorum is even in this race. I don't think I've seen him on camera once this whole cycle.

At this point, I'm not sure if Fox has the sway necessary to push Rubio on their viewers. A *ton* of them seem to be all-in for Trump, and this debate isn't going to change that a bit.

They weren't able to sway people to Bush at all when they tried to do that.

At this point it seems unlikely anything would cause Trump to go down. Unless he has some huge controversy building, but that would have gotten out already.

He called them up on the stage like they were contestants in one of his beauty pageants or something

It was incredible, these guys went from being policy drivers just 4 years ago to being props at Trump's beck and call

Maledict

I don't see what's so wrong with the reporting, other than that they badly need another round of copy editing.

I keep forgetting Santorum is even in this race. I don't think I've seen him on camera once this whole cycle.

You must have missed their article on how Trump beats Hilary, which was honestly one of the worse pieces of journalism I've ever read. My favourite remains the not at all leading poll 'who would you prefer, a successful businessman and family man known for his charitable works, or an old woman who helped keep victims silent from her husband abuses?'.

And every article they write about the republican side is basically parroting the establishment line, with whichever establishment dream is currently favourite to beat Trump as the winner of everything. They've written so many 'Trump is doomed, xxx will win' articles by now I'm surprised they aren't just copy and pasting them. They basically went from upstart disrupters in political reporting to establishment stooges in 8 years which is pretty freaking impressive.

I don't know why it's not used more often. Or letting candidates bring their own video.

I want to see a debate that cites sources and clearly shows them to the audience.

CNN said on one of their morning shows that there's typically a clause preventing the hosts from using video flashbacks in the debate. I'm not sure why, but it seems this debate was an exception.

Blader

You must have missed their article on how Trump beats Hilary, which was honestly one of the worse pieces of journalism I've ever read. My favourite remains the not at all leading poll 'who would you prefer, a successful businessman and family man known for his charitable works, or an old woman who helped keep victims silent from her husband abuses?'.

I didn't miss it, I deliberately skipped over it. :lol

I don't read very many of their op-eds -- and most of the ones I do are not on the election -- I just check them for their actual news coverage.

And every article they write about the republican side is basically parroting the establishment line, with whichever establishment dream is currently favourite to beat Trump as the winner of everything. They've written so many 'Trump is doomed, xxx will win' articles by now I'm surprised they aren't just copy and pasting them. rhey basically went from upstart disrupters in political reporting to establishment stooges in 8 years which is pretty freaking impressive.

eh, I don't think that's really true. A lot of their insiders/analysts do seem to favor Rubio, but that's not really unexpected from Beltway Republicans, is it? And in any case, there are plenty of articles about how Trump and (now to a lesser extent) Cruz continue to dominate, with the most flattering things about Rubio usually limited to "...and he'll finish third!" Jeb is constantly steamrolled, for example, with last night's debate being the first time in months I've seen something close to praise showered on him -- though obviously that's his fault more than anyone else's.

Why would Santorum and Huckabee go to the Trump thing?

Makes it look like they are his bitches.

From the surface, I see it as them truly thinking they were supporting the troops, but I also think they were expecting something down the line. Either cabinet position (not like trump will win) or just in general. Pandering to a billionaire will probably at least get you something.

Also free media coverage.

Also, they are forever alone.

Rubio is so manufactured. He's a big ass phony.

Cruz is just a spineless coward. He's not presidential material. I'm surprised he slithered his way on to The U.S. Senate.

Chris Christie is such a blowhard. Dude is just selling wolf tickets.

Carson is hanging by a fucking single thread at this point. He sounds like he's been lobotomized.

Kasich is meh.

Rand is just there to get his brand out there.

Ted Cruz is as Latino as Jeb Bush.

Ted Cruz is even less Latino than Jeb.

Jeb made the effort to learn Spanish while Ted Anglo-Washed away all traces of Spanish in him, using the name Ted instead of Rafael Eduardo and never learning Spanish.

There is nothing Latino in Ted anymore aside from his last name

Ted tries too hard to over-compensate for being born in Canada and having a Spanish name.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I'm not sure if anybody else has mentioned it in this huge thread, but it is worth noting that Santorum and Huckabee are the two most recent winners of the Iowa caucus. I think all three of them knew exactly what they were doing.

lenovox1

I'm not sure if anybody else has mentioned it in this huge thread, but it is worth noting that Santorum and Huckabee are the two most recent winners of the Iowa caucus. I think all three of them knew exactly what they were doing.

Little did they know that Cruz would ether his own self when given enough route to play with.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
chrischristieloveshilf0jow.jpg

Oppo

Just finished uploading mine - 2 hours condensed into 30 minutes.

https://youtu.be/fGrNeeER7oE

With a special moment in there between Megyn Kelly and John Kasich.

thanks for the link. this allows me to watch the debates with only a single RadAway taken.

Megyn's eyelashes were so long that I swear I could feel a breeze from my monitor every time she blinked

edit - oh gods, Carson's schoolboy recital was the perfect end cap

RPGCrazied

Rand Paul won this time... which, wow, can't believe I said that, but he is the most sane person on the GOP side, maybe the Kaisch guy too.

4Tran

Old people in their nursing homes are going to have FOX News going still. Not a webpage or a radio program.
Limbaugh has more listeners than Fox News has viewers, and conservative talk radio is a much more important part of Republican populism than anything televised. That's why Trump's spats have only led to Fox News losing each time. The reason why it's seen to be more powerful than it is is because most of the other Republican/conservative mouthpieces are much less visible from the outside.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Just finished uploading mine - 2 hours condensed into 30 minutes.

https://youtu.be/fGrNeeER7oE

With a special moment in there between Megyn Kelly and John Kasich.

Thanks for making this. I didn't watch last night and this is much better than slogging through 2 hours.

Rand Paul won this time... which, wow, can't believe I said that, but he is the most sane person on the GOP side, maybe the Kaisch guy too.

Yea, I've been saying this for about the past month. I really only agree with his stance on NSA data collection but it's clear he's the most level headed and likable candidate up there.

Cruz is just a spineless coward. He's not presidential material. I'm surprised he slithered his way on to The U.S. Senate.

Carson is hanging by a fucking single thread at this point. He sounds like he's been lobotomized.

Kasich is meh.

What about Jeb? You didn't mention Jeb in your post. Did you forget about him?

ApharmdX

Banned
Jeb has a degree in Latin American Affairs, is fluent in Spanish, and has Mexican children.

Jeb is far more of a Latino than Ted Cruz.

El Jebe?

Rand Paul's response re: Ferguson was I think the best I've heard from any candidate, on either side of the aisle.

Yes. And his statements about national security and warrantless surveillance are the best of any candidate's.

As a progressive, if Rand Paul got the nomination, which he won't, but I would be extremely conflicted if he went against Hillary in the general election. His positions on criminal justice reform, national security, military intervention, and the war on drugs are far more progressive than Hillary's!

The problem with the Paul's is that, once you get to certain positions, they are a horror show. Particularly in terms of economics and the role of the free market.

I'm so tired of Chris Christie's "senators don't do anything, that's why you need a governor" shtick.

There's a good campaign strategy: ridicule on principal one branch of he government. Not "this particular Senate", but senators in general.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Early in the debate, Cruz attacked the moderators and got fucking booed.
Really? The audience finally quit buying that cop out he's been trotting out for several debates now? Better late than never.

I missed last night's, I'll have to watch a recap later.

Maledict

Jesus Christ, Rubio's closing remarks about faith (and his comment about the "saviour") were obscene. Not only are they completely contradictory to american ideals, but they are such a pathetic, obvious grasp at evangelical votes. Guess he really does need the third place in Iowa...

deadlast

Kasich is meh.

So Trump is the only choice.

Believe!
I said this before, Rand is the only one from the Republican side that's actually a sane person, who maybe has bad ideas but still..looks and sound like a legit candidate and not a circus.

Tom_Cody

Early in the debate, Cruz attacked the moderators and got fucking booed.

Really? The audience finally quit buying that cop out he's been trotting out for several debates now? Better late than never.

I missed last night's, I'll have to watch a recap later.
Cruz was trying to tell a Trump joke, but one of the moderators stepped on his set-up so it sounded really stilted by the time he got the punchline out.

jmood88

Cruz was trying to tell a Trump joke, but one of the moderators stepped on his set-up so it sounded really stilted by the time he got the punchline out.
I've seen people say that he was joking but it didn't come off as a joke at all. He sounded really whiny.

Adaren

It was meant to discourage the moderators/other candidates from attacking him, but it was also meant to be delivered as a jokes (since jokes are way more charismatic than just whining). So it was supposed to be both, until the execution fell flat anyway.

Trump won the debate. Rand Paul looked the most dignified and "sane" of the men onstage.
Rubio is too robotic, Cruz lost the debate the moment he complained about "mean questions" and Christie continues to come off as a thoroughly opportunistic, dishonest human being.

numble

Yeah, was gonna say. I remember when Politico launched, and it was basically the political equivalent of The Verge, except that The Verge was actually decent for a few months before it turned into an absolute pile.
You are thinking of Vox. Politico was in existence for 5 years before The Verge.

Alrus

I just got reminded about Cruz wandering around the stage at the end of the debate and nobody wants to talk to him. "Poor" him.

CsAbZeo.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom