• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 0 HD |OT| I'm Rebecca! Let's do our best!

Pre-ordered last week, I havent played this game since probably 2006 or so and I was pretty happy with it overall if I remember correctly but I barely remember anything about it aside from the train sequence.

Timu

When I played it on Gamecube I did normal...and even that was tough, I can't imagine what hard would be like.

Jawmuncher

When I played it on Gamecube I did normal...and even that was tough, I can't imagine what hard would be like.

I remember using a guide and just telling myself back on GC (If it wasn't for this I would never have beaten it) Since laying down items is a big part, and can fuck you over if you're not careful.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
M3dr7a5.png

Man, I was planning on waiting until I finished my current REmake run before buying this. You guys got to me. Probably won't get to this for another few weeks, but I've never played Zero so I'm excited to finally give it a shot.

SURGEdude

Considering giving this a try. Played it at launch and was massively disappointed but these are different times. The lack of similar titles in recent years might make the flaws less glaring.

Bergerac

I play 0 fairly regularly on Gamecube so shouldn't be too much adjustment needed, though I recall I had Leech Hunter worked out a good ten years ago, and have since forgotten it so looking forward to working that pattern out again.

JayEH

Hey , it's that dog

Where is my bro Leon :p

My copy shipped from Amazon so it should be here tomorrow and I'll finally finish resident evil 0 and then replay REmake , it's been so long

Do I get any costumes from pre ordering off amazon ? Or was it GameStop only? Or capcom store only?

I haven't been able to find a definitive answer but gamestop and best buy both get the costumes and the capcom blog post said amazon would get it too. Not sure why it isn't listed as a bonus but I guess we'll find out tomorrow if it comes with it or not.

Melchiah

Yeah, Hard was really hard, I still remember.
Maybe I will start on Easy too, to get back into the RE Zero mechanics.
Hard is very hard in Zero, I can say that for sure, I completed it on GC.

Yeah, I'll go for the option that has the least chance of becoming a roadblock. After all, I'll probably play the game only once, and getting stuck would ruin the experience for me.

I thought they changed it for REmake HD?
Where Easy was actually easy.

Melchiah mistook the change in difficulty from the old RE games I guess.
Remake and Zero are equal, no regional differences or anything anymore.

To my recollection, and understanding, REmake's easy difficulty was the equivalent of normal in older REs. It's possible I remember it wrong, or just misinterpreted it back then. I did find it somewhat challenging on easy though.

Yeah, I'll go for the option that has the least chance of becoming a roadblock. After all, I'll probably play the game only once, and getting stuck would ruin the experience for me.

Likewise, would suck if the game would become to frustrating.

To my recollection, and understanding, REmake's easy difficulty was the equivalent of normal in older REs. It's possible I remember it wrong, or just misinterpreted it back then. I did find it somewhat challenging on easy though.

The overall difficulty in REmake was fairly decent on all levels.
I still remember when you had to chose between mountain climbing and hike walking, mountain climbing was only normal.
And normal was tough already especially with Jill, she was dead after 2 or 3 hits.

Jawmuncher

Ok here's the explanation.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/826290-resident-evil-hd-remaster/71039370

Melchiah

The overall difficulty in REmake was fairly decent on all levels.
I still remember when you had to chose between mountain climbing and hike walking, mountain climbing was only normal.
And normal was tough already especially with Jill, she was dead after 2 or 3 hits.

I played it with Jill, so that explains why she died so easily on mountain climbing, when I tried that difficulty level at first.

Zombies in that mode go down from like 1-2 handgun shots

That's certainly not how it was for me. Just checked my trophies, and I have them for both easy and very easy, so I guess I chose the hiking option.

I played it with Jill, so that explains why she died so easily on mountain climbing, when I tried that difficulty level at first.

I had the same problems, the first time I did play it on GC on release day.
I was pretty baffled, the challenge was great though.

That's certainly not how it was for me. Just checked my trophies, and I have them for both easy and very easy, so I guess I chose the hiking option.

Hiking would have been Easy then. Never played Remake on Easy though, always chose Normal or Hard.

Melchiah

Hiking would have been Easy then. Never played Remake on Easy though, always chose Normal or Hard.

Yeah, I think I'll go with the equivalent of that now as well. Only 25 minutes until it's unlocked.

I have to ask, what's with the answers within the quotes? =)

Yeah, I think I'll go with the equivalent of that now as well. Only 25 minutes until it's unlocked.

I have to ask, what's with the answers within the quotes? =)

Oh sorry, did that so it is better to follow to what I was answering to.

Well takes a little bit over here, it is 10:37 pm here.

Melchiah

Oh sorry, did that so it is better to follow to what I was answering to.

Well takes a little bit over here, it is 10:37 pm here.

No problem. =) At first I thought it was just some copy-paste mishap.

It's 23:39 here. Looking forward to play the game for the first time, after all these years.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Q: Yo, this game kind of sucks, LMAO
A: And while we’re on the subject of sucking: even a really good game might suffer by comparison if it were released between REmake and Resident Evil 4. Sure, RE0 looks inferior standing next to those two… just like almost every game ever made does (disclaimer: this is only the TC’s opinion. Please don’t fill this thread with a barrage of off-topic GOAT lists just because you like something else better). I personally believe that its release timing, coupled with a general unwillingness to manage inventory efficiently, has hurt the game’s legacy. Try meeting the game where it is, and you might have a better experience. YMMV, of course.

That just handwaves/excuses the shitty story (no, I'm not cutting Becky slack given her established "timeline" in REbirth), shitty inventory system (neat idea, but terrible execution), shitty partner system (they really couldn't have just allowed you more item slots for Rebecca?) and other factors that actively work against the system. 0 had massive potential when it was announced on the N64. But it seems like in the attempt to try to shake-up the formula of 3-4 previous titles, they went too far and lost the plot (heh) in that regard.

I'd still put it above Code Veronica (X) which also had similar issues, but I'm not exactly dying to replay them over and over and over and over... compared to 1-3.

Anyyyyway, it's gonna be mighty interesting to do a "no heal/hit" run. That's gonna be the Platinum stopper for 99% of people.

Melchiah

Curious too, Pack 2 seems to be missing in the PSN store.
Ah I see, I'm getting it for PC.

Yeah, the store page is blank, if I go there from the link in the game menu. Perhaps it changes once the game unlocks?

I only have laptop, so a console is a better option for gaming in my case.

DOWN

Banned
Anyone know if this game supports resolution higher than 1080p? Googling around I saw one article mention it has higher resolution than consoles but nothing else. REmake was locked at 1080p and you had to edit some config file which screws up the internal resolution.

I'd imagine pre-rendered backgrounds and the fact that this is cross-gen for some godawful reason means you are probably still locked at 1080p

FaintDeftone

I may grab the game. I didn't necessarily care for it back on the Gamecube but I wouldn't mind giving it another shot just to support old school Resident Evil.

Yeah, the store page is blank, if go there from the link in the game menu. Perhaps it changes once the game unlocks?

I only have laptop, so a console is a better option for gaming in my case.

Guess Capcom forgot to put it up on the store front page, or they ran into some issues.
I'm curious too though about the price. Makes sense especially when the laptop isn't that beefy.

I've always liked 0, even if it's definitely no REmake. I'm really happy with everything they've been able to pull off with this remaster. It looks absolutely gorgeous.

For first timers, zero is one of the hardest games in the series. I remember getting completely dead ended more than once in the training facility. Either go in with a guide, or go in expecting to potentially have to start over at least once.

Putting almost all of your bullets into a leech zombie before you realise how to deal with them is not a good idea.

posted in the other thread:

let's all play w/ tank controls =)

I'm going to be messing about with a steam pad to try and finally get something approaching my preferred controls in REmake where walking and running is on the right trigger. Tank style, naturally.

Melchiah

posted in the other thread:

let's all play w/ tank controls =)

From the OP:
Q: Let’s have an argument about the controls!
A: Naw, seriously, let’s not. I mean, I have a preference, and I think I’m right, but nobody gives a shit. People already think what they think.
controlschemeX.jpg

EDIT:
Guess Capcom forgot to put it up on the store front page, or they ran into some issues.
I'm curious too though about the price. Makes sense especially when the laptop isn't that beefy.

The laptop isn't very comfortable for gaming either.

I've always liked 0, even if it's definitely no REmake. I'm really happy with everything they've been able to pull off with this remaster. It looks absolutely gorgeous.

I'm going to be messing about with a steam pad to try and finally get something approaching my preferred controls in REmake where walking and running is on the right trigger. Tank style, naturally.

awe yeah, tanks style! i'm just curious how that's going to work for wesker mode.

Wesker seems awfully fast...

Melchiah

So you only use it for internet stuff?

Yep, and some other stuff. Tried playing Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs on it, but got fed up with not being able to set AA/FF and V-sync on Nvidia control panel. It always went back to the default settings. =/ But we're going off-topic here.

Kuraudo

Banned
Still i'm very curious about the costumes now. Seems like they're DLC, but that one piece of text suggets you might be able to unlock them in game.

They've been showing them off as part of the game without specifying extra purchases are needed. If it does turn out that they are DLC, then that seems pretty shady.

awe yeah, tanks style! i'm just curious how that's going to work for wesker mode.

Wesker seems awfully fast...

Wesker seems to break the whole game mechanics, the way he can boost his way through.

Yep, and some other stuff. Tried playing Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs on it, but got fed up with not being able to set AA/FF and V-sync on Nvidia control panel. It always went back to the default settings. =/ But we're going off-topic here.

Ok, that sucks, now I can understand you going for PS4 then, and you're right :p.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Wesker mode seems like dumb fun. I'm excited to unlock that mode. I wonder if there are extra costumes we can unlock for Wesker too.

Wesker mode seems like dumb fun. I'm excited to unlock that mode. I wonder if there are extra costumes we can unlock for Wesker too.

I'm just glad we're getting such a meaty unlockable. The goofyness sort of reminds me of Tofu. I know Leech Hunter has its fans, but I never really got into that one like I did Mercenaries or Third Survivor or Raid Mode or what have you.

Here you go.

My guess is because of the partner stuff such controls schemes are not possible?

Type C was Type E in the HD version of remake. It was in every gamecube release *but* Zero because of the partner controls etc.

I haven't begun to approach it yet, but I'm hoping I can get a steam config along those lines even if I have to map some stuff to the gyro to free up buttons. My biggest disappointment with 0 was always that you couldn't put walking/running on the right trigger. It *really* improves the tank controls.

Melchiah

Just started the game, and few quick thoughts about it... the control scheme D seems to work well with L1 for aim and R1 for attack. Will have to see how well solo/team works on touch pad. The cutscenes look pretty bad, and show the default costume eventhough you have other one on.

JPS Kai

This will be my first time going in, so I might go through on Easy then try for a sub-4 hour run in normal/hard or whatever you need for the unlockable weapons (if any)

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
This will be my first time going in, so I might go through on Easy then try for a sub-4 hour run in normal/hard or whatever you need for the unlockable weapons (if any)

Between Leech Hunter and clear rank, there are some good unlockables. Unlockables and their criteria are all listed in the OP

For those having a tough time achieving S-Rank, unlocking infinite ammo/magnum in Leech Hunter can definitely give players an edge

Melchiah

I just chose easy, and the first zombies went down with two shots. So it seems like it might be the same as REmake's very easy.

Top Bottom