• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 PC Version |UnOT| Bros before BOWs

Archon473

RE6 doesn't have the strongest atmosphere as far as the levels' set pieces are concerned, but the story is engaging me a lot. Playing the chapters in chronological order is making me wonder who and what everyone's talking about but encourages me to keep playing and find out. The combat and enemy design are the game's saving grace. I would easily recommend RE6 to anyone who enjoyed RE4 (I did not enjoy RE5; combat was faster than RE4 but the levels did not support the faster pace). The most important thing I learned in RE6 that I forgot played a role in RE4 was knowing when to avoid combat, either to retreat and collect myself or to ignore enemies and search for an exit. This is where the horror reveals itself; you will be under-equipped and ask, "Am I able to survive?" I have asked myself that question in almost every chapter. Obviously this is a video game and upon dying I have the option to continue, but while controlling my characters I do not want to put them in harm's way.

I know nothing about RE:Revelations so I cannot compare, but I will say RE6 is worth playing! Raid mode sounds cool, too. Here's hoping we'll have two new great RE games to play.

Lastly, I've never read into any game's plot, but the end to Leon Chapter 3 reminded me of the Biblical story of Adam and Eve. After Leon 3, Helena looks at the horizon beyond the catacombs and says, "He's cleansing the earth." I couldn't help but be reminded of Adam and Eve being cast out of Eden after they'd gained knowledge of their creation in the same way Leon and Helena learned of
Simmons' role in the C-Virus outbreak.
There was likely no relation intended but all the plot elements are there, haha.

Mr_Zombie

Christ, these QTEs are so damn annoying, it's something that never really bothered me in other games but here they are so badly implemented.

While I agree with you other points (especially vehicle sections, fuck them), I don't agree with this. Maybe it's different when you play on gamepad, but on mouse & keyboard, outside of few out-of-nowhere instant-death ones, all QTE were rather easy to do. Most of them even give you a pretty wide input window. My only complain is that there were a lot of them, even for really pointless stuff. For example, when you play as Sherry in Jake 4, at one point during a battle with Ustanak you have to start a truck; there's a single button QTE for that. There's no punishment for failing it - you just have to start it again. It's something that could be simply replaced by pressing an action button or better yet, just a simple cut-scene. And yet there's a QTE for that.

Also, did they change the climbing the rope QTE in Leon 5? Because when the game was released I remember reading a lot of complains about it, how it was hard to complete the QTE because you always had to have at least one trigger pressed. However, when I was playing it, I simply clicked LMB and RMB alternatively, not even looking at the QTE icons, and finished it without any problem.

GSR

Jesus, the sequence in Chris 5 where
you escape from HAOS
is awful. So many deaths by camera angle there.

Actual final boss/ending wasn't half bad though.

What's the best AA setting(with inspector)? Currently downsampling at 3200 x 1800 and with FXAA3HQ or whatever it is but many people seem to hate it.

Wouldn't mind turning down the resolution if there is a better option.

GSR

Finished Leon's campaign. I thought that final boss fight'd never end, but I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. That just leaves Ada's campaign.

Predator was pretty fun. I managed to win once as Ustanak.

The Survivors lobby I joined was uneven at 2v3, with me being in the two-man team. We didn't stand a chance.

Riposte

The thing about predator is that you win by having the most points. This means you are never truly on the side of your teammates, even when you are not playing as the enemy.

True, but I just like not having Ustanak kill everyone. Victory enough for me! But now that you mention it, I did win a few times in total points.

Jawmuncher

The thing about predator is that you win by having the most points. This means you are never truly on the side of your teammates, even when you are not playing as the enemy.

Yeah for me it definitely kinda kills the mode.
Though as dragonlife says if you can get past that it's still plenty fun.
Definitely a mode more suited to being a private match.

Played a bit more Survivors and it's fun when no one uses sniper rifles.

We kept getting people kicked from the game for no apparent reason/drops. Even I would get the "the host has ended the session" message in the menu, but would be invited back right after. Server issues ;(

Jawmuncher

Played a bit more Survivors and it's fun when no one uses sniper rifles.

We kept getting people kicked from the game for no apparent reason/drops. Even I would get the "the host has ended the session" message in the menu, but would be invited back right after. Server issues ;(

Never had issues with Snipers but I recall on 360 when I played everyone was agent for that magnum he starts with. Since it's almost a guarnteed kill

I wasn't complaining about it. In fact, that's a part of it I like.

Ahhh.

Hey, guys, I've made a GAF group for RE6 to make things a bit easier for us now that Survivors and Predator are out. Hopefully things go well and we can get some GAF games going eventually. The group will remain invite-only, but I've sent the first batch of invites already to people in my list.

Group link: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RE6GAF

I'll be gone till around 2-3 PM PST, so it'll take a while before I can approve any new invites.

If you've never joined a group, here are the positives:

- you can message anyone in the group without being friends (this is what makes things easier)
- you don't have to friend anyone if you're anal about who's on your list but can still play with them
- you'll see if anyone makes an announcement that a game is going
- stuff no one cares about, like possibly making new friends, etc.

I honestly don't remember if you can join via the link or if you absolutely need to friend someone who's in the group, but just in case it's the latter, feel free to add me so I can invite you: http://steamcommunity.com/id/dragonlife29 You can even remove me afterward! Just be sure to leave me a message if I'm offline that you want to be added. Or be friends with the others I invited and hope the domino effect goes in your favor.

Playing through Ada's campaign now. Just finished chapter 2 and it might be the best of the bunch. No need for fancy setpieces, huge explosions every 5 seconds and gimmicky vehicle sections.

ArjanN

Hey, guys, I've made a GAF group for RE6 to make things a bit easier for us now that Survivors and Predator are out. Hopefully things go well and we can get some GAF games going eventually. The group will remain invite-only, but I've sent the first batch of invites already to people in my list.

Group link: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RE6GAF

I'll be gone till around 2-3 PM PST, so it'll take a while before I can approve any new invites.

If you've never joined a group, here are the positives:

- you can message anyone in the group without being friends (this is what makes things easier)
- you don't have to friend anyone if you're anal about who's on your list but can still play with them
- you'll see if anyone makes an announcement that a game is going
- stuff no one cares about, like possibly making new friends, etc.

I honestly don't remember if you can join via the link or if you absolutely need to friend someone who's in the group, but just in case it's the latter, feel free to add me so I can invite you: http://steamcommunity.com/id/dragonlife29 You can even remove me afterward! Just be sure to leave me a message if I'm offline that you want to be added. Or be friends with the others I invited and hope the domino effect goes in your favor.

Added you as a friend.

Finished Ada's campaign. It dropped the ball a bit in the last chapter but it was my favorite part.
I loved separate ways in RE4 because it was cool to see the events of the game from her perspective and it worked well again here, she's a very cool character. I wonder if we'll ever see anything happen between her and Leon,
sexual tension between them was through the roof lol.

Gyrian

Nicely done, dragonlife!
Looking forward to easier Gaffer grouping when we go set up these new mode matches needing more than a second person.
(FYI Predator can be ridiculously fun with the right 3-4 players in the right map, much more compelling than a full game which can easily turn into an Ustanak turkey shoot.)

I still don't get why Capcom doesn't ease the new modes in. So here we have a weekend with a full blown Mercs event... at the same time they release Predator and Survivors.
We should've had this earlier, and something better synced to the new content now.

Finally, my new favorite laggy Mercs moment:
Getting bitten by a headless Zombie is one thing, but watching a headless J'avo perform his throat cutting machete taunt then plopping dead to the ground, now that is something. :D

Jawmuncher

Finished Ada's campaign. It dropped the ball a bit in the last chapter but it was my favorite part.
I loved separate ways in RE4 because it was cool to see the events of the game from her perspective and it worked well again here, she's a very cool character. I wonder if we'll ever see anything happen between her and Leon,
sexual tension between them was through the roof lol.

I really hope capcom gets in the act of tieing everything together. One of their biggest issues with RE is they keep adding and dont close their past items. Tool from RE2 to RE6 to figure out what's been going on with sherry that's pretty bad.

Riposte

Nicely done, dragonlife!
Looking forward to easier Gaffer grouping when we go set up these new mode matches needing more than a second person.
(FYI Predator can be ridiculously fun with the right 3-4 players in the right map, much more compelling than a full game which can easily turn into an Ustanak turkey shoot.)

I still don't get why Capcom doesn't ease the new modes in. So here we have a weekend with a full blown Mercs event... at the same time they release Predator and Survivors.
We should've had this earlier, and something better synced to the new content now.

Finally, my new favorite laggy Mercs moment:
Getting bitten by a headless Zombie is one thing, but watching a headless J'avo perform his throat cutting machete taunt then plopping dead to the ground, now that is something. :D

Unless people have become way better, you can still do good as Usta with a full game. It is not easy though. You just need to realize you are hardly invincible and pick your approach carefully. Even waiting around until items start spawning isn't a terrible idea.

Played some Mercs for the event. Anyone know if No Mercy counts. I think I just like it better.

I thought the same thing. It's weird to throw new modes out, making people want to play them more than the event currently going on. That said, finding random games is still hit and miss.

I'll aim for a GAF night tomorrow, consisting of Predator and Survivors. Let's see how it goes. I still definitely need to get some Mercs in for the event ;)

If I download these re-skins, do they show up if playing through campaign online?
If they're reskins for the campaign, they'll show up for you, yes. Other players won't see your reskins.

Jawmuncher

Unless people have become way better, you can still do good as Usta with a full game. It is not easy though. You just need to realize you are hardly invincible and pick your approach carefully. Even waiting around until items start spawning isn't a terrible idea.

Played some Mercs for the event. Anyone know if No Mercy counts. I think I just like it better.

Recall the event page said any mode counted.

Put it some Mercs time tonight. I've now got at least 1 S rank for each loadout on normal Mercs. Guess I'll see if I can do the same in No Mercy now. I also need to get some Duo time under my belt; been flying solo the entire time thus far. Maybe tomorrow afternoon. Give me a shout if you see me on!

Gyrian

Once you go No Mercy you can't go back.

I like No Mercy a lot, it's easily my favorite new Extra Mode.
But standard Mercs is still the standard for me. No Mercy is 75% pure panic mixed in with calculated retreating.
It's amazing for what it is, but the deliberate pace and strategy in regular Mercs still keeps me coming back after a ludicrous amount of hours. :D

I like No Mercy a lot, it's easily my favorite new Extra Mode.
But standard Mercs is still the standard for me. No Mercy is 75% pure panic mixed in with calculated retreating.
It's amazing for what it is, but the deliberate pace and strategy in regular Mercs still keeps me coming back after a ludicrous amount of hours. :D
It's honestly one of the reasons I'm a bit ambivalent about going for high scores. I would tear my hair out if I kept dropping combos (which I do) because enemies feel like they come from random places if you don't know the spawn points or the order.

Regular Mercs is precise; No Mercy is mostly mindless. They're both better in co-op, at least.

For people who are interested, I did some research into scoring with the L4D enemies. The witch gives a mere 100 points more than a bloodshot, and it does not count as a secret boss. I haven't tested the tank, but I imagine it's just a tiny score increase compared to a napad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-avMFGrG5NY - No Mercy Solo - Liquid Fire - 2302k - Leon1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQgwu_B0Yf0 - No Mercy Solo - Catacombs - 2197k - Nick

Good to know. Seems fairly minor in terms of score boost. Your videos are always fun to watch, though!

Jawmuncher

I'm definitely grabbing that Leon Mod.
Looks really good.

I love both Mercs and No Mercy but when playing regular mercs I have to put on the serious face during solo. Just because I don't know spawn orders so most of the time it's drop city for me.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Does this support crossfire and include all current DLC? I'm pretty sure it doesn't include all DLC but hopefully I'm wrong.

While not all of the current DLC is out, it all will be available and is slowly dishing out. Not to mention, all of the Mercs map DLC is free and automatically included in the game in the PC version.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Hey guys, thanks for the invite to Predator tonight. Never played it before and I had no idea what I was doing with Ustanak, but it seems fun with buddies. Sorry I had to bail after a few rounds, but my partner for Mercs showed up.

Pretty proud of us making it to the top of the legit scorers for High Seas Fortress Duo. Probably won't be able to hold onto that for long though, and I'm sure the console players have higher actual scores, but I'll bask in it for now!

Mr_Zombie

Yesterday either I was out of luck, or RE6 public games are wastelands. I tried searching for Mercs Duo - no games. No Mercy - no games. Siege? No games. Survivors? No games. :| So I ended up playing a campaign with some dude. It's hilarious to play the campaign with friendly fire turned on, especially if you do a lot of melee: when we were attacking monsters, very often one of us was also kicked by the other player :lol

I also played Agent Hunt a bit yesterday and I didn't really like it. Monsters (I played as J'avo with machete, zombie from the catacombs and rasklapanje) are really slow and hard to control, and unlike L4D, it's hard to set up a trap with them. I managed to kill one guy but I didn't really find that mode to be fun. Maybe it's better when you're controlling someone with ranged attacks or some kind of mini-boss who can't be killed with just few shots.

Anyway, if anyone want to play some Mercs or whatever later this day I'm in. I'm in the NeoGAF RE6 group as (who would have guessed) Mr_Zombie. ;)

For people who are interested, I did some research into scoring with the L4D enemies. The witch gives a mere 100 points more than a bloodshot, and it does not count as a secret boss. I haven't tested the tank, but I imagine it's just a tiny score increase compared to a napad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-avMFGrG5NY - No Mercy Solo - Liquid Fire - 2302k - Leon1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQgwu_B0Yf0 - No Mercy Solo - Catacombs - 2197k - Nick

So intense, I shat bricks when the Rasklapanje stomped you. The ending in the Liquid Fire run was so sick too.

Davey Cakes

Just started the X360 version of the game, after getting it as part of the Resident Evil 6 Archives for cheap.

Haven't even started any campaign yet. Just played the introduction and a couple of rounds of Mercenaries to tweak my controls as desired and get a feeling for the gameplay.

Am I the only one who finds the introduction to be kind of obnoxious? Just throws all of that action movie craziness at you, along with some tutorial stuff and a bunch of QTEs. I'm going to play the game, obviously, but to be honest I don't think the game did well with first impressions. Felt very messy and overambitious right from the start.

Suddenly the opening of RE4 seems like the best thing ever.

Hey guys, thanks for the invite to Predator tonight. Never played it before and I had no idea what I was doing with Ustanak, but it seems fun with buddies. Sorry I had to bail after a few rounds, but my partner for Mercs showed up.

Pretty proud of us making it to the top of the legit scorers for High Seas Fortress Duo. Probably won't be able to hold onto that for long though, and I'm sure the console players have higher actual scores, but I'll bask in it for now!
Oh, that was you! Good to know your GAF name now. Anyway, yeah, Predator can be extremely fun on both sides.

Wow, congrats. That's pretty impressive!

jediyoshi

Am I the only one who finds the introduction to be kind of obnoxious? Just throws all of that action movie craziness at you, along with some tutorial stuff and a bunch of QTEs. I'm going to play the game, obviously, but to be honest I don't think the game did well with first impressions. Felt very messy and overambitious right from the start.

Yep. If you manage to see the whole game out and then make your way through leon's opening again, regardless of quality, it's definitely the odd one out.

Gyrian

I enjoyed Assignment Ada. Then I tried to play Chris' campaign.

What is this shit?

Chris' felt to me like the largest departure from what we're used to.
It wasn't my favorite campaign, gameplay-wise, but it's still rather fun with a good co-op partner.
Please tell me you're not doing these alone. ;_;

Have you guys seen this?

One of the crazier Mercenaries strategies that I've ever seen. He uses all the chainsaw guys to take out everyone else. It's worth a watch if you haven't seen it!

Call it a byproduct of a high level run, since the top scores demand that you keep special monsters alive to the very end (where the kill is worth a lot more in points).
Dealing with the one is actually fairly easy, but you can see this player getting a bit nervous at times with all 3 chainsaws at once, haha.
The moment where he gets randomly tripped by that firefighter zombie was pretty damn tense!

For the fans of Mercenaries: have you guys played Arcade Action in Alan Wake's American Nightmare? I'm curious what you guys think about it since it's basically Mercenaries in the Alan Wake world.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What is this shit?

That's my thought for the whole game bar finishing Ada and Leon's chapter.

Jake's was alright-ish, but nothing mindblowing and Chris' was just terrible.

I play like one or two chapters a week and then have to stop because the mechanics (that are rarely explained if ever by Capcom) just repulse me along with the new enemies. :/

It sucks, because there's potential for an okay game here but too many design decisions that ruin it.

Jawmuncher

For the fans of Mercenaries: have you guys played Arcade Action in Alan Wake's American Nightmare? I'm curious what you guys think about it since it's basically Mercenaries in the Alan Wake world.

I played it. It isn't bad but it just lack the charm of Mercs. After awhile it just gets tedious IMO.

Have you guys seen this?

One of the crazier Mercenaries strategies that I've ever seen. He uses all the chainsaw guys to take out everyone else. It's worth a watch if you haven't seen it!

I use a similar technique in onslaught.

I played it. It isn't bad but it just lack the charm of Mercs. After awhile it just gets tedious IMO.
Yeah, I agree. It was fun until you unlock the Nightmare stages... I don't think I ever beat a single one of those. Still, it's a pretty decent extra mode since the gameplay in American Nightmare was fun.

Top Bottom