• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

Can the bad quality of sound be on purpose to allow more resources for the graphics? Or does having lower quality sound and stuff like that even help in allowing better graphics? I'm not very smart when it comes to how hardware works, so sorry if it's a stupid question.

Thoraxes

When you get hit, where's the health bar at...

I could swear I didn't see one.

Can the bad quality of sound be on purpose to allow more resources for the graphics? Or does having lower quality sound and stuff like that even help in allowing better graphics? I'm not very smart when it comes to how hardware works, so sorry if it's a stupid question.
Probably filesize reductions and to have more efficient audio processing I would guess. The music sounds better than the sound effects. (I used headphones)

zoukka

It's a way to save space. Whatever they decide to use that space on is their decision. Might be the FMV videos.

sfried

Uncompressed or not, it still sounds like shit, almost like it wasn't properly mastered for 3DS hardware specifically.
I really do not understand where you are coming from, unless you think RE4's sound effects sound like reused Hollywood stock gunfire to you.
Considering the 3DS has its own dedicated DSP for sound, I'd say not likely. The question is whether you are listening to it through the 3DS's regular speakers or not. If it's the former, then obviously you'll have something that doesn't sound as optimal as it can be.

That said, it sure doesn't sound compressed. In fact, it seems to match Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy in terms of audio quality.

Luigiv

I noticed turning up the 3D effect makes it look "bigger" like you can see much more

That's because you can see more. The stereo camera offset means that each eye can see a little bit more at the edges that the other can't, leading to an overall wider viewing angle than 2D.

Also turning on 3D allows you to judge sizes at different depths better, making everything going into the screen look bigger (and anything coming out, look smaller) than it really is on the screen itself.

MoogPaul

I loaded up the demo. I basically just hung out in the first room, getting a feel for the controls. Really liked what I felt and saw so I ended it there. Will be picking this up.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
When you get hit, where's the health bar at...

I could swear I didn't see one.

This is one of the bigger mistakes. We have the second screen for that kind of thing, why taint the main screen with that ugly and unhelpful red hue. It's not helpful and it detracts from the aesthetics.

pulga

Banned
Got two friends to play the demo. Both jumped and screamed the moment when 2 regenerators drop from the ceiling. So good.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
All the audio complaints are unfounded. I have my 3DS plugged to some nice Altec Lansing speakers. Unlike Mercenaries, the audio does not sound compressed.

This is so untrue. Both through the 3DS speakers and two pairs of headphones its painfully obvious how low quality the audio of gunshots and character sounds are. Which is strange, as voices seem to sound fine, and music is excellent. Trying not to offend, but maybe your standards are lower, or you just cant hear it, but as someone who is a stickler for audio quality I cannot unhear how bad so much of the game sounds.

Mercs had the exact same problem. Shots and effects sound tinny and low bit rate.

Thoraxes

This is one of the bigger mistakes. We have the second screen for that kind of thing, why taint the main screen with that ugly and unhelpful red hue. It's not helpful and it detracts from the aesthetics.

Ahh That makes sense. I had no clue when to use my green herb except for when a prompt came on my screen that told me to press A to use it.

I'm kinda disappointed in that too, now that I know.

Also yeah, the sfx are definitely underpar compared to the rest of the audio in the game. The music is great and so are the VA.

branny

Bad audio? What?

The Capcom opening logo sounds fine. The menu music sounds fine. The "Resident Evil...ReVeLaTiOnS" voice sounds fine. The menu selection sound effects are fine (the water sloshing noise is almost binaural). The "Jill waking up" FMV sounds fine. The ingame music and ambient sound are fine. Jill's speaking voice sounds ever so slightly compressed but nowhere near enough to warrant a complaint. Parker's voice sounds the way it does because he's speaking through an earpiece. Some more common sound effects (shuffling, monster melting, footsteps, bullets, etc.) are the same low bitrate sample-sounding crap that's been in the series forever now. Other stuff like draining the tub and picking up an item sound fine. When Jill meets Parker, their voices sound pretty decent--any weirdness is minor clipping brought about by the filter to make their voices echo. The demo's ending FMV sounds the same as any 360 game in terms of quality.

It's not gonna be flac or anything, but what's there sounds good. I don't understand the complaints. I don't have Mercs, but from what I've seen of YouTube videos, that's totally not the case here. This is acceptable. I wasn't fine with some games like P3P on PSP which has distractingly compressed voices.

Anyway, I finally got through Hell which ended up being surprisingly generous with ammunition. I love how item and enemy placements are noticeably different from Normal. Still feel uneasy relying on that dodging stuff, but this game seems like it's going to be pretty good. The gyro aiming has unexpectedly become one of this game's most interesting and immersing qualities for me. I like how you can customize the crap out of how you want to play this. I really don't feel like I'll need to get a CPP at all.

Teknoman

Wow Hell mode is pretty nice. Still trying to get a handle on dodging and how/when you can melee something. The subweapon button works nicely (shoot to stagger, run and stab, change positions and repeat). The abyss infected look really nice in action too. Spiky ones are creepy.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
My only complaint is how close the camera is to Jill. I know it's been like this since RE4, but it's really annoying.

Bumhead

Banned
Wasn't it confirmed that the audio in the demo was compressed intentionally?

I'm sure I read that somewhere. Might be wrong though. The audio sounds OK to me other than the gun shots, which are pretty feeble. I can't remember them sounding that low quality in Mercs 3D (or even the Revelations demo on Mercs 3D) so maybe certain elements are toned down for the demo?

Either way, its the only low point in what is an otherwise exceptional demo. Excited for this game. I so hope there are loads of unlocks/multiple run through opportunities.

PKrockin

This demo... woah. Why the crap do I still see posts complaining that classic RE is dead, Capcom betrayed them, etc? Do people ignore 3DS games just because they're on a handheld or something?

Got two friends to play the demo. Both jumped and screamed the moment when 2 regenerators drop from the ceiling. So good.
I'm dumb, I even jumped on my second time through.

This is so untrue. Both through the 3DS speakers and two pairs of headphones its painfully obvious how low quality the audio of gunshots and character sounds are. Which is strange, as voices seem to sound fine, and music is excellent. Trying not to offend, but maybe your standards are lower, or you just cant hear it, but as someone who is a stickler for audio quality I cannot unhear how bad so much of the game sounds.

Mercs had the exact same problem. Shots and effects sound tinny and low bit rate.
Yeah, there is definitely a problem with some of the audio. I'm no audiophile AND I played with headphones, and even I noticed some things sounding bad, though in hindsight I don't remember what they were. I hope it is just compression for the demo.

In case any one is interested, the 15th Anniversary stream is live now and they are showing off Raid Mode

EDIT:
Also showed off a double barrel shotgun called "Drake" (the best I could comprehend)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gotta say, hell mode is cool. I'm glad it's not a simple difficulty increase, but altered encounters and different item distribution. It's interesting really. It made the game a little bit more action focused, but also a lot more tense, thanks to unexpected appearances of enemies.

Actually, I think hell will be more enjoyable for a second playthrough, when you've already played through the game and think you know what the encounters are. Three changes in this demo were
no two regenerators dropping from the ceiling, but instead one rushing from the right, a surprise second regenerator coming up from behind when you'd normally first see the spiky guy, and the elevator rush.
These would be tense in game as is, but having played it prior and very consciously not expect an enemy only to have one jump out makes it all the more exciting.

G_Berry

Banned
This game along with the positive impressions has me really jonesing for a 3DS.... but the Vita is so close and I want MK!

I don't know what to dooooooooooooo :(

wrowa

The sound is great if playing without earphones. However, if played with earphones it suddenly sounds tinny.

Glass Joe

Really liked the demo. Some thoughts:

- The game is a lot prettier than I expected. Probably the best I've seen on 3DS.
- Full 3D ("very strong" via the options) is really impressive but potentially taxing on the eyes. I was occasionally confused visually with camera zooms so currently have it at "strong" now and it looks great for me.
- Didn't know about moving with L while aiming. I noticed this could be done with gyro, so I went with that and "very slow" aiming. Seemed serviceable and "good" even, but weird. I'm not sure gyro is for me or not, I might just have to get used to it. So next go I'll try the default again next time.
- Normal was pretty hard. I liked the tension / stress of not having much ammo and knowing there's trouble up ahead.
- Not sure about the item scanner. It felt like I was spending too much of my time scanning (like Metroid Prime) since some items are completely hidden and have to be uncovered.
- I miss the run button. I know it's supposed to be analog now but full speed seems slow.

Despite those complaints, I was really impressed. If the reviews show it's a good, full sized game like RE4 this will be a purchase.

Darkside Chronicles looked pretty good too, but not as good as this.

with the 3d set to the maximum it's really, really impressive.

branny

I'm still playing the demo over and over.

This kind of game is perfect for the 3DS. Playing Silent Hill: Origins proved to me that handheld horror-ish games work because they're rather intimate (face close to screen, earbuds, etc.). Here, stuff like the really impressive 3D depth (on the strongest setting) and first person gyro aiming (my preference) feel like they're combining to suck me in even more. The generally claustrophobic areas and tense encounters in Hell certainly don't hurt, either.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Definitely an impressive looking demo. I do hope the scale of the environments increase a bit as it felt overly confined (though perhaps that is the focus of this game), but it was still pretty impressive.

Visuals are definitely the best I've seen on 3DS (technically).

EatChildren

Definitely an impressive looking demo. I do hope the scale of the environments increase a bit as it felt overly confined (though perhaps that is the focus of this game), but it was still pretty impressive.

Visuals are definitely the best I've seen on 3DS (technically).

The bump mapping mixed with the really brilliant lighting, and AA in 2D mod, is quite incredible. Looking over the balcony at the foggy dining room, for example, is simple gorgeous.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The bump mapping mixed with the really brilliant lighting, and AA in 2D mod, is quite incredible. Looking over the balcony at the foggy dining room, for example, is simple gorgeous.
That volumetric fog there is nicely done itself. I'm wondering if it's using the dedicated hw feature.

BTW, game has astounding IQ in 2D mode. That's what handheld games should look like.

EatChildren

That volumetric fog there is nicely done itself. I'm wondering if it's using the dedicated hw feature.

'Gaseous object rendering' is a function of PICA200, so it could be that.

Luigiv

BTW, game has astounding IQ in 2D mode. That's what handheld games should look like.

The IQ looks pretty good in 3D too. No AA but everything is still sharp an clean. Maybe I just think that because I've been playing through TotA, which is a blurry mess.

That's because you can see more. The stereo camera offset means that each eye can see a little bit more at the edges that the other can't, leading to an overall wider viewing angle than 2D.

Also turning on 3D allows you to judge sizes at different depths better, making everything going into the screen look bigger (and anything coming out, look smaller) than it really is on the screen itself.

yep. i've said this to people before, like the 'gimmick' or not, 3D unquestionably provides you with more visual information. the difference in FOV really stands out with 'very strong' on full 3D slider.

Gotta say, hell mode is cool. I'm glad it's not a simple difficulty increase, but altered encounters and different item distribution. It's interesting really. It made the game a little bit more action focused, but also a lot more tense, thanks to unexpected appearances of enemies.

Actually, I think hell will be more enjoyable for a second playthrough, when you've already played through the game and think you know what the encounters are. Three changes in this demo were
no two regenerators dropping from the ceiling, but instead one rushing from the right, a surprise second regenerator coming up from behind when you'd normally first see the spiky guy, and the elevator rush.
These would be tense in game as is, but having played it prior and very consciously not expect an enemy only to have one jump out makes it all the more exciting.
hell mode reminds me of playing RE:make for the first time, which is a very very good thing.

Sadist

Hope those scenario-changes in the game won't influence my initial excitement about the game.

The demo hyped me even more.

There is a thing in hell mode that's perplexing me:
you can unlock a scannable object on the ceiling of the second library room: however, if you try to shoot where the shine is, nothing happens. Is just a bug on the demo or I almost uncovered some semi-secret sheningan?

There is a thing in hell mode that's perplexing me:
you can unlock a scannable object on the ceiling of the second library room: however, if you try to shoot where the shine is, nothing happens. Is just a bug on the demo or I almost uncovered some semi-secret sheningan?

I think that item is on the second floor and the fact that it shines it just an unfortunate clipping bug. I don't think you're supposed to see the blinking from that room.

wrowa

On another forum a person who has access to a German review copy of the game confirmed that the final game will have all of the different dubs on a single cart.

Taking this into consideration it seems unlikely that the audio quality will be improved in the final version.

I think that item is on the second floor and the fact that it shines it just an unfortunate clipping bug. I don't think you're supposed to see the blinking from that room.

This could explain also why you can scan the same object on the first library room, if you aim at its direction...

Pezking

The sound is great if playing without earphones. However, if played with earphones it suddenly sounds tinny.

No, it sounds awful without earphones as well.

I love the demo, but if the final game features the same sound as the demo, it's by far the worst sounding game I got for the 3DS. eShop-games included (just compare the voices in "Mighty Switch Force" to this, the difference in clarity is incredibly obvious).

Pretty disappointing, because the rest of the presentation is top notch.

bumpkin

I love how when Jill is talking to Parker, her mouth doesn't move >__>
I noticed that his don't move either. Little disappointing, but it is what it is I guess. I'm just a stickler for details when the game has a $50 price tag because of "console-quality production value." Show me a recent console RE game where the mouths don't move when characters are talking...

I'm still buying it. I'm so their bitch.

Yep, blows my mind

I mean, how is this even possible when say SM3DLand sounds just fine?

Anth0ny

So I played the demo last night.

WOW. That sums it up pretty well.

This is what Resident Evil 5 should have been. I can honestly say I had more fun with this demo than I did with all of RE5.

It really is what the fans were asking for: keep that RE4 feel but incorporate the classic RE feel at the same time. Mission accomplished. "This door won't open for some reason..." "Do you want to empty the tub?" CLASSIC!

I tried to play in 3D (and even cranked up the special Revelations 3D in the options), but it just made my head hurt and looked bad in motion, like usual. But it looked really good in the cutscenes. Although I won't be playing the game in 3D, I think it's safe to say it has the most effective 3D effect out of any 3DS game.

Basically, I can't wait to get my hands on this. I'll be there day 1. This is the true RE5, and I hope RE6 follows in this game's footsteps. Assuming the game doesn't go all action-y, and the only horror was contained in this demo =P

My only nitpick: the game really does feel trapped on that tiny 3DS screen. I hope they release it in 1080p on the Wii U along with other 3DS games, PSP to PS3 style. That would be great.

Top Bottom