• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

Cartman86

Banned
I was actually quite pleased with the way the inventory worked. I mean, has anybody ever actually enjoyed mixing herbs? Or rotating 3D models of random items?
Ok I did used to enjoyed rotating the items but I can't say I'll miss the old inventory system

Rotating? No, but mixing yeah. Hell I liked Tetris.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The demo's great. I this truly represents the mood of the entire game, Revelation's going to be the spiritual successor to RE4.

However, I heard that it's far more action focused later on, so it porbably doesn't. Either way, can't wait for next week.

depward

Rather enjoyed the demo. Definitely cemented my desire to pick the game up when it is released.

Question: melee moves. I was able to pull one off after I slashed a monster. I could not shoot in the leg + melee ala Mercs 3D. Can you not melee after shooting?

Just went through hell mode. I got to the elevator after 10 tries and though I could relax.

DING!

Elevator full of enemies.

Pretty fantastic overall. After some consternation over the controls, I'm finding that they work pretty well with some practice.

What's all this about knife slash stuns and combos, etc?

I'm thinking about canceling my super cheap Zavvi pre-order and buying it in store when it comes out. After the great demo and mostly decent RE6 trailer I can't wait to play a new Resident Evil. :I

Not sure if posted, Revealations began as Resident Evil 5:

Development kicked off after Capcom decided to make Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D first, and use that game to build up experience with the 3DS hardware. The development team started by running Resident Evil 5 on the 3DS. Impressed by the impact it had, the team moved on to developing Mercenaries 3D. At the same time, Revelations was developed in parallel, with experience gained from both games benefiting one another.

Link

Man the gyro controls are excellent...but gotta get used to using the stick...I can't use gyro on a bus if someone's sitting next to me -_-

they probably also don't want to publicly admit they abandoned the PSP.

I think it's pretty obvious they abandoned the PSP without them saying anything...unless you're one of those people who think Revelations started as RE:pSP which is laughable because I doubt that game got past the concept phase

Its probably been said, but wow the surround sound on the 3DS is pretty nice for a handheld. When you swing open a door, it actually sounds like it opens towards your side. For lack of a better way to explain it, its like being enveloped in a sound bubble.

Found this same effect happening on Pilotwings and Star Fox. Still cant predict a stagger + melee combo attack as well as I should.

The best game the 3DS has in sound department, and that really makes a good use of the surround sound is Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy.
Im still fucking amazed every time I play the game with my good headphones.

Link

That doesn't necessarily mean anything more than that Capcom produced an RE5-based tech demo to show off MTFM internally, though. 3DS certainly couldn't run a particularly faithful port, so I doubt that Capcom ever seriously considered attempting one.

Bear

Really enjoyed the demo. It was pretty short but I think I'm sold on the game, it feels like a good mix of RE4 and some classic RE elements. I mainly played it in 3D, but it looks really impressive in 2D mode with AA.

MooMoo

I just knife-melee'd a zombie guy to death. Felt so good. Admittedly, I'm going to miss the whole 'shoot to stun enemy -> melee' that RE4/RE5 used so frequently. I don't mind the change though, as I can definitely understand the rationale as to why melee isn't activated so easily in this game.

Mafro

Wondering what Zavvi is like for getting games to you on release day (in UK here) as If there's a chance it won't arrive on release day I'll just order from somewhere else and get the CCP at another time. I wan't this next week.
I've only ever used them once for a preorder and it didn't turn up until the middle of the next week after launch. For normal orders it's anything from 3-4 working days, but I remember when I ordered The Witcher 2 it took them a week to dispatch it (despite being in stock) and another week for it to finally arrive.

watershed

Banned

Link

There's a lot more good stuff at the link such as:
Since Kawata still hears from many people that the Resident Evil remake for the Gamecube is the best game in the series, it was decided that Revelations would similarly focus on the fear element.

This is the first time a Resident Evil game has had a Japanese voices recorded for it, and the decision was made because the team wanted Revelations to feel like a foreign TV drama.

Music for the game was recorded using orchestrated instruments, with a focus on the piano in particular.

watershed

Banned
As interesting as that sounds, the people that lament the direction the series is taking are likely to dismiss this game because it's on a handheld.

If that's the case the game's sales will suffer for it and the future direction of the RE series will suffer for it.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
- Capcom decided on the story taking place in a ship so they could make use of its sense of limited space

- Variation like snowy mountains and coasts were added because nothing but the inside of a ship would lack change

- Kawata says that “the story is extremely voluminous and packed full of ideas”

- The team didn’t focus on the fact that it was for a handheld; they just made a full-on Resident Evi

- Capcom tried making graphics like for a home console rather than a handheld

- Nakanishi says that the essence of Resident Evil is that it’s a “Survival Horror Game” and that it’s “bioreal”

- Kawata wonders why they didn’t give Revelations a number on the title as it’s a true-as-can-be Resident Evil game from head to toe.

Breakdown of information from the Iwata Ask interview here.

PKrockin

As interesting as that sounds, the people that lament the direction the series is taking are likely to dismiss this game because it's on a handheld.

dude, didn't you get the news? if it's not on a 60" TV it's not a REAL game.

Also, how do you unlock the other modes/difficulties? I beat the demo... do you have to scan everything?

It was mentioned earlier that you get an herb if you reach 100%. It's actually a pretty interesting risk/reward mechanic because you'll get a bigger payoff for being more daring. It also gives the opportunity to snag some extra help if you run into trouble.

Resident Evil is back to being a Real Time Strategy game.

If that's the case the game's sales will suffer for it and the future direction of the RE series will suffer for it.

Its too bad, ive entered some hours ago the thread that people were talking about what they wanted to get a true RE and nearly any one was talking about RE Revelations, but here comes the funny thing, they were asking exactly for things that Revelations is bringing to the table.
Its sad really, as it seems is going to be ana amzing game if the demo is any indication, but some poeple will pass becuase s for a handheld, doesnt have a number besides the title and/or is for a Nintendo system.

Koyuga

Turned on gyro controls, now I'm never turning them off. Gave me flashbacks to when I first booted up RE4 Wii Edition, this could be the biggest revolution to handheld shooters.

Its too bad, ive entered some hours ago the thread that people were talking about what they wanted to get a true RE and nearly any one was talking about RE Revelations, but here comes the funny thing, they were asking exactly for things that Revelations is bringing to the table.
Its sad really, as it seems is going to be ana amzing game if the demo is any indication, but some poeple will pass becuase s for a handheld, doesnt have a number besides the title and/or is for a Nintendo system.

Wouldn't be the first time this has happened coughACECOMBATcough

Hopefully the sales number wont be repeated as well

Turned on gyro controls, now I'm never turning them off. Gave me flashbacks to when I first booted up RE4 Wii Edition, this could be the biggest revolution to handheld shooters.

So it's never been explored before but...gyro controls for 3DS fps? Hmm? They could mix it with the wii pointer's bounding box idea so you wouldn't have to turn 360 to actually spin around, only within a small window. I think it could work REALLY well!

GDGF

Soothsayer
So it's never been explored before but...gyro controls for 3DS fps? Hmm? They could mix it with the wii pointer's bounding box idea so you wouldn't have to turn 360 to actually spin around, only within a small window. I think it could work REALLY well!

Say what you will about High Voltage Software, but when they finally show up on the 3DS scene (beyond the Conduit 2 demo) I expect to see more ideas such as this.

Hopefully we'll hear something at E3.

Koyuga

In theory, you could just have motion to fine tune aiming in fps games... I think that would be better then turning the system all the time. Would definitely like to see more shooter on 3ds if they take advantage of this feature.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Hm, that sounds interesting, but I'm not sure how great that would actually be. I feel like it wouldn't work out as well as you think it would, but I would like to see someone try it as an optional control method in an FPS (lol, an FPS for a 3DS hasn't even been tried yet).

In theory, you could just have motion to fine tune aiming in fps games... I think that would be better then turning the system all the time. Would definitely like to see more shooter on 3ds if they take advantage of this feature.

So gyro controls would be the equivalent of iron sights almost?

Are the people using gyro controls playing in 3D? Every time I tried using the gyro controls in OoT3D it kept breaking the 3D for me.

jackdoe

Are the people using gyro controls playing in 3D? Every time I tried using the gyro controls in OoT3D it kept breaking the 3D for me.
With such a narrow viewing angle for the 3D, the only way not to break it is if you play on a swivel chair. With OoT3D you could turn it off when making tricky arrow shots for the mini games and then turn it back on for regular gameplay. You can't really do the same in this case.

I didn't have any problem in OoT 3D with gyro aiming with the 3D on full blast. Granted I used the gyro to assist me a little bit along with the slide pad not as the sole method. I thought it worked very well even with me laying in bed, I could do it without any issues.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So it's never been explored before but...gyro controls for 3DS fps? Hmm?
It's been explored, on iOS. Without the bounding box that is. Games like Modern Combat 3 have that. But they have shit defined sensitivity settings and stuff which makes it all feel crap and at best is there just to fine tune virtual stick (gaaah) aiming. Rage HD has the right sensitivity (seems 1:1 so you do have to spin around to look behind you, but it feels right and is fun for single level plays) but it's a rail shooter. You have the same type of control in Asphalt 6's garage, it's a racing game but lets you view your cars etc in a 3D building. The controls sit somewhere between Rage HD and Modern Combat 3. It's not 1:1 like Rage so you don't have to spin around but it's also better paced and slower than MC3 so it's easy to control it like that and move around without issues. The crosshair is always at the center of the screen in all these implementations (except the last, no crosshair at all, no shooting). So yeah it can work right and feel good but not for extended play. Though adding Wii pointer style mechanics might make it more workable in such cases at that point I'd rather use the Wii pointer... But I guess this might be an okay alternative. Probably not with 3D on for most people, and probably never to be considered superior to dual analog like the pointer is though, for the lack of comfort. It might be suited to slower paced exploration games and other immersing experiences, not pure action or multiplayer.

Just played the demo. Luckily I got a bunch of real world shit that I have to throw money at, otherwise I'd be picking this up as soon as it hits stateside. Very engrossing.

After playing them demo I can see myself playing with the Gyro controls most of the play through and only use the 3D during cut scenes.

Top Bottom