• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

Luigiv

Sure, but what is the capacity of the card? 4GB? High-fidelity sound effects don't take up much space. I wonder what happened.

I think you missed the 6 voice tracks part. 4GB is less space than a single layer DVD. How many games do you know feature more than 2 languages and fits within a single layer DVD with room to spare? That's what I thought.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I always mishear Veltro for Velcro and then I think they're silly because they can't even tie their own shoelaces.

areal

I think you missed the 6 voice tracks part. 4GB is less space than a single layer DVD. How many games do you know feature more than 2 languages and fits within a single layer DVD with room to spare? That's what I thought.
Do you think that noticeably degrading the audio quality so that more languages can be included is a good decision? I really wonder if that's the case here though. How much space do you think is required for high-quality sound effects in a game like this anyway?

Luigiv

Do you think that noticeably degrading the audio quality so that more languages can be included is a good decision? I really wonder if that's the case here though. How much space do you think is required for high-quality sound effects in a game like this anyway?

Well it's not just the voice track. Combine that with the numerous FMVs, the normal mapped textures, the music, the code. It's undoubtedly a tight squeeze, every MB they could have shaved off would have counted.

Luigiv

I know its been discussed but why is this 50 dollars?

Capcom's official excuse is the 4GB cartridge but I think production costs and the weak American dollar had a lot to do with the decision too (I can't imagine the 4GB carts being more than a few dollars more expensive than the 2GB ones).

M3d10n

I really do not understand where you are coming from, unless you think RE4's sound effects sound like reused Hollywood stock gunfire to you.
Considering the 3DS has its own dedicated DSP for sound, I'd say not likely. The question is whether you are listening to it through the 3DS's regular speakers or not. If it's the former, then obviously you'll have something that doesn't sound as optimal as it can be.

That said, it sure doesn't sound compressed. In fact, it seems to match Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy in terms of audio quality.

Sound effects need to be loaded into RAM too and they can't be streamed like voice over or music, otherwise there would be a delay when playing them.

This is a great demo, this game will be mine. It feels closer to RE4 than the old formula. Maybe being able to look at the map in the menu would help, or some semblance of inventory management (RE4 actually did a great job in this area). The map has a linearity to it, mostly a straight shot with a side-path here and there to explore, though that may just be because it's a demo. Honestly though, I enjoyed RE4 a lot, so I'm not doomed to hate it if it doesn't go with the old formula.

A few quirks:
I kept pressing A by mistake and wasting my health items, and only used one when I actually needed it once at the end. Combat feels great, and felt a lot like RE4. The lack of ammo supplied in the demo was just right. I love scanning for items, but scanning enemies while they're still after me is even better. Is there going to be an eventual dossier on these enemies like in Metroid Prime, or a research bonus like Bioshock? What's with the scanning?

It looks like there are going to be a lot of 3DS games that make me choose between 3D or gyro controls, and it sure is irritating to have to go without one or the other. The 3D is a little less beneficial, but still cool enough to miss.

I'm kind of expecting a RE4 port for the 3DS now.

Luigiv

This is a great demo, this game will be mine. It feels closer to RE4 than the old formula. Maybe being able to look at the map in the menu would help, or some semblance of inventory management (RE4 actually did a great job in this area). The map has a linearity to it, mostly a straight shot with a side-path here and there to explore, though that may just be because it's a demo. Honestly though, I enjoyed RE4 a lot, so I'm not doomed to hate it if it doesn't go with the old formula.

A few quirks:
I kept pressing A by mistake and wasting my health items, and only used one when I actually needed it once at the end. Combat feels great, and felt a lot like RE4. The lack of ammo supplied in the demo was just right. I love scanning for items, but scanning enemies while they're still after me is even better. Is there going to be an eventual dossier on these enemies like in Metroid Prime, or a research bonus like Bioshock? What's with the scanning?

It looks like there are going to be a lot of 3DS games that make me choose between 3D or gyro controls, and it sure is irritating to have to go without one or the other. The 3D is a little less beneficial, but still cool enough to miss.

That is because it's a demo. Didn't you notice all the locked doors?

Cynosure

The only RE games I've played were zero and 2. They were fun, but I never got into the series. I was never really interested in Revelations, but after playing the demo, it's become a day 1 buy.

As someone that never played and heard so much praise, I really hope this happens.

That is because it's a demo. Didn't you notice all the locked doors?
Of course I did. I said I will reserve judgement, but the overall layout still seemed less free-roaming than the old games, even with the locked doors considered. Just look at the entire layout right before you reach the second floor. It seems to favor the major branching of RE4 over the more realistic floor plans of past games. I would be a lot less skeptical if we could study the map at our leisure, and the lack of such a feature makes the map layout seem rather irrelevant, and to me that indicates a less complex focus.

Like I said, I know this is a demo, but if the final game doesn't open up rather significantly in comparison, I will consider it to be pretty linear even with those locked rooms considered. I will wait and see, and I will probably enjoy the game either way. I really hope I'm wrong, but this is the vibe I get. *shrug*

demonkaze

Wondering what Zavvi is like for getting games to you on release day (in UK here) as If there's a chance it won't arrive on release day I'll just order from somewhere else and get the CCP at another time. I wan't this next week.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I honestly didn't find the graphics to be terribly impressive. The jaggies coupled with the tinny-ass sound effects (the music sounds fucking great, though) left a poor impression. I'll still be buying it Day 1, however.

wrowa

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I honestly didn't find the graphics to be terribly impressive. The jaggies coupled with the tinny-ass sound effects (the music sounds fucking great, though) left a poor impression. I'll still be buying it Day 1, however.

The IQ is kinda rough, I think. The dithering is also pretty noteably.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Wondering what Zavvi is like for getting games to you on release day (in UK here) as If there's a chance it won't arrive on release day I'll just order from somewhere else and get the CCP at another time. I wan't this next week.

I cancelled my Zavvi Pre-order....
got it from Amazon instead plus the CPP have to pay like £20 more

GDGF

Soothsayer
Loving this demo. Had a few good scares :)

Didn't think this would be a day one, but it is.

Don't think I'll be needing a CPP though. Getting by just fine without it.

I loved the demo and I actually felt uneasy playing it which is a relief due to Resident Evil not being scary for a long time. One thing I was wondering about is if they ditched the over the shoulder view for aiming?. I guess the first person aiming works but I do prefer the over the shoulder view.

On the negative side the scanner could be a bit of a hindrance, but I like that you can scan from afar and don't have to be that close to the objects you scan. I did enjoy it in Metroid Prime, but I dont find it as fitting in this game (so far as the demo goes). It is just a minor gripe to be honest.

The 2D antialiasing smooths it out a lot.

storafötter;34428786 said:
I loved the demo and I actually felt uneasy playing it which is a relief due to Resident Evil not being scary for a long time. One thing I was wondering about is if they ditched the over the shoulder view for aiming?. I guess the first person aiming works but I do prefer the over the shoulder view.

On the negative side the scanner could be a bit of a hindrance, but I like that you can scan from afar and don't have to be that close to the objects you scan. I did enjoy it in Metroid Prime, but I dont find it as fitting in this game (so far as the demo goes). It is just a minor gripe to be honest.

You can do 3P aiming in the control options.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The only RE games I've played were zero and 2. They were fun, but I never got into the series. I was never really interested in Revelations, but after playing the demo, it's become a day 1 buy.

As someone that never played and heard so much praise, I really hope this happens.

It would be glorious. One of the greatest TPS games ever, portable? Sign me up.

You can do 3P aiming in the control options.

I guess I must have overlooked it as I only saw the type controls. I think I will try the demo again on hell mode then and switch the controls.

I just tried hell mode and wow that was quite fun and intense. I like how you get access to another weapon alongside with the different enemy placement. I noticed on the room before the dining room (with the bookshelves) I could scan something above me but couldnt reach to grab it. I wonder what kind of item it was.

sfried

This is so untrue. Both through the 3DS speakers and two pairs of headphones its painfully obvious how low quality the audio of gunshots and character sounds are. Which is strange, as voices seem to sound fine, and music is excellent. Trying not to offend, but maybe your standards are lower, or you just cant hear it, but as someone who is a stickler for audio quality I cannot unhear how bad so much of the game sounds.

Mercs had the exact same problem. Shots and effects sound tinny and low bit rate.
I recognize Mercs definitely had compressed sound, but REvelations Demo had higher samples. But yeah, I agree that voices and music sound great. The Ooze sloshing sound does sound low quality.

King_Moc

Banned

In my experience, useless. I've ordered 2 games from them before. On was a pre-order and they dispatched it a week after it launced.

Still getting it from there though. I'll happily wait a week for a £15 saving.

I'm finding I'm able to make a lot more of my shots count with the slide pad verses gyro control, which makes 3D mode quite playable. Gyro play is still cool enough to make switching worthwhile though.

storafötter;34428786 said:

You can change the aiming in the options menu.

Teknoman

Its probably been said, but wow the surround sound on the 3DS is pretty nice for a handheld. When you swing open a door, it actually sounds like it opens towards your side. For lack of a better way to explain it, its like being enveloped in a sound bubble.

Found this same effect happening on Pilotwings and Star Fox. Still cant predict a stagger + melee combo attack as well as I should.

pulga

Banned
Its probably been said, but wow the surround sound on the 3DS is pretty nice for a handheld. When you swing open a door, it actually sounds like it opens towards your side. For lack of a better way to explain it, its like being enveloped in a sound bubble.

Found this same effect happening on Pilotwings and Star Fox. Still cant predict a stagger + melee combo attack as well as I should.

Which headphones are you rocking?

Has anyone discovered any secret unlocks once you beat Hell mode? I mean like things in the level that weren't there before. I honestly found Hell mode not that bad. If they hadn't given you the SMG and plenty of ammo for it, that might've been a real ball-buster. I suppose a no-SMG run would be interesting, then the usual sort of knife-only, no-killing type runs could follow.

Bumhead

Banned
Anyone played this with the CPP yet? Is it an improvement over the default controls?

I'll inevitably buy a CPP eventually but not sure if I should do it now.

Boney

Banned
Just realized you have ammo caps with each weapon, the game didn't let me pick more machine gun ammo, so I checked the inventory and it seems you can have, without counting the loaded amount

30 gun bullets
20 shotgun shells
80 machine gun bullets

Just realized you have ammo caps with each weapon, the game didn't let me pick more machine gun ammo, so I checked the inventory and it seems you can have, without counting the loaded amount

30 gun bullets
20 shotgun shells
80 machine gun bullets
Yeah, and a max of 5 health herbs to, which seem to heal you 100% no matter how close to death you are. The inventory is a major disappointment, it is just so streamlined. Hopefully some of this is demo-exclusive.

30 gun bullets
20 shotgun shells
80 machine gun bullets

Yeah, from the way the game handles the inventory it has to have these caps, I think. I assume that'll be upgradable, though.

Yeah, and a max of 5 health herbs to, which seem to heal you 100% no matter how close to death you are. The inventory is a major disappointment, it is just so streamlined. Hopefully some of this is demo-exclusive.

I was actually quite pleased with the way the inventory worked. I mean, has anybody ever actually enjoyed mixing herbs? Or rotating 3D models of random items?
Ok I did used to enjoyed rotating the items but I can't say I'll miss the old inventory system

Boney

Banned
Yep, I like this inventory as well so far, but we'll see how it goes.

As for ammo upgrades, seeing the game is of episodic nature, such ammo caps shouldn't be a big problem if designed appropriately, and guns will have updatable clips so that's something.

branny

I love scanning for items, but scanning enemies while they're still after me is even better. Is there going to be an eventual dossier on these enemies like in Metroid Prime, or a research bonus like Bioshock? What's with the scanning?
It was mentioned earlier that you get an herb if you reach 100%. It's actually a pretty interesting risk/reward mechanic because you'll get a bigger payoff for being more daring. It also gives the opportunity to snag some extra help if you run into trouble.

Top Bottom