• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

Bumhead

Banned
What's the actual purpose of the CPP?

I played tons of RE4 and 5 but for the life of me can't remember the actual benefits of a second analogue stick. Still trying to decide if the CPP is worth picking up yet.

They popped up in Mercenaries 3D and had their own little list you can peruse. I imagine it's the same in Revelations.

isJb03a4JCr7m.gif

Ooooooooh, excellent news. Love me some achievements that unlock content.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
So i can play this game without the grip thing they include? I have an extended battery and i expect that it will not work with that grip. Also cannot find the original battery......

Salvadora

Couple of questions before i decide to jump in,
-Is raid mode anything like Mercenaries?
-How is the difference between playing with CCP & Without it?

So i can play this game without the grip thing they include? I have an extended battery and i expect that it will not work with that grip. Also cannot find the original battery......

The grip thing is not included with the game, and the game plays totally fine without it. Download the demo if you have the chance; it's great.

Hahaha, the demo part is totally different than the same scene in the game. And when I say totally different i really mean it. Maps, objects and how you even play it.

Good job Capcom, good job...

And when you start a new episode it says "Previously on Resident Evil Revelations..." and it shows the story scenes with some amzing music that hype you until the last episode ypu did plot twist.
It feels really cool. Im loving the episode thingy.

Do they pop-up like 360 achievements? Are they on a separate menu you can check?

I love achievements that are well made, so this is awesome news.

Menu, although the only achivement that I have, for finding a secret thing, popped in the screen "You have found secret something..." But i didnt know it was an achivement until I got to the menu. Seems it gave me a green herb, or so the menu says.

Gomu Gomu

Just finished the demo. Holy shit that was amazing. It's exactly what I wanted from a new RE title. Loved it. Here's hoping the whole game is as tight and as tense as the demo.

Based on the demo, it seems that the game would be easier to control with the circle pad thingy. However it controlled fine without it. You could move and explore without much of a hassle. Seriously, go play the demo. I've heard GAF say good things about it, but I was doubtful. But boy, was I wrong.

branny

And when you start a new episode it says "Previously on Resident Evil Revelations..." and it shows the story scenes with some amzing music that hype you until the last episode ypu did plot twist.
That was something I actually really liked about Alan Wake, so I'm looking forward to seeing it in this game, too.

Just saw a commercial on television, and I realized how weird it is to see a commercial for a third party portable game.
Haha, is it? I didn't really second-guess the Birth by Sleep commercial. I wonder if I'll catch the Revelations one sometime.

moozoom

The more I play, the more I'm in love with the sounds and music of this game... There is a particular room I just entered with a great music theme, and it's really beautiful.

This game is completely redefining my standards concerning 3ds games...

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
That "Trace of Riddles" theme on the official site is incredible. Definitely hitting up the soundtrack for this game, asap.

gg Capcom

Wow, just wow.
Ive just beated the 3rd episode. Amazing.
The first boss in the game is already difficult in normal, killed me 3 times.

The sound is incredible, playing this with no lights and headphones is scary. The music is excellent, Im really liking some of the tracks. The "Previously in..." theme is my favourite, and the
opera staircase
theme is really cool. I hope we can get the soundtrack somehow.
The castillian spanish dub is top notch, even secondary chracters sound incredible.

Im even liking the story, some parts remind me a lot of the original games.
Jessica and Parker are also really likeable (Jessica's
police outfit with short hair in the Terraginia mission
is really cute :lol

Its really surpirsing seeing a, how can I say it, big like console game in a portable, the quality of all of it is thorugh the roof.

Probably will be heading out of this thread until it releases in NA. Just one quick question for those playing it:

Without getting too specific, how have boss encounters been so far? Anything really cheap, or do any fights have interesting, unique mechanics?

Now the embargo has lifted I can answer pretty much any questions anyone has, by the way. I know I was dodging some earlier in the thread, but now can answer.

My campaign completion time was 8:35:47.

Now the embargo has lifted I can answer pretty much any questions anyone has, by the way. I know I was dodging some earlier in the thread, but now can answer.

are there save rooms with save music themes?!! how about the 'what are u buying/selling' dude?

spoiler tag if necessary

Mafro

How do you guys like it being broken down into episodes???

Seems cool to me but some reviewers hated on it.

I really like it, its good for short pkay sessions if you want to play one episode at a time plus the recaps are pretty cool.

Also, there aren't any save rooms or typewriters. The game autosaves checkpoints throughout the episode.

And regarding upgrades, you collect upgrades and can use them at weapon boxes. It looks like they can be swapped out for another upgrade, so they aren't just one time use.

How many playable characters in Raid Mode? Are there more than the ones officially revealed? I also saw you at least get 2 costume for each character in Raid Mode. Anymore than that?

are there save rooms with save music themes?!! how about the 'what are u buying/selling' dude?

spoiler tag if necessary

Just to be safe spoilered in case people don't want to know - there's a clean-cut answer, though -
There are no save rooms, only autosaves throughout the story. The story is a strange mix of chapter-based modelled off a TV show - think Alan Wake - and Metroidvania stuff on the ship.

The game autosaves every time something major story-wise happens and every time a new chapter starts. Within chapters you can break out of where the story wants you to go and explore other areas of the ship. A key you get in Chapter 6 might open new areas in a place you were in during chapter 1, for instance - and there you might find optional stuff you might've missed including new weapons and upgrades - which brings me to shops. There are none.

There's no friendly merchant on the ship. Weapons and ammo are found lying around, and there's a pretty typical weapon upgrade system attached which lets you up the power of your favourite guns.

The ship is also littered with weapon boxes you can store weapons in, but not ammo. When you visit a box they all have the same contents, so you can store stuff at one end of the ship and pull it out at the other. You have to be at one of these to upgrade, too.

The weapon box stuff and upgrade stuff is only for Jill on the ship - other characters only use set weapons as their gameplay is more linear.

How is Raid mode?

The Eurogamer review sums my thoughts up on this well, but it's really good fun. It's a really great handheld mode with a lot of replay value, and generally feels higher quality than Mercs 3D, perhaps because the areas were built for the more substantial single player segments and then adapted.

Grakl

The Eurogamer review sums my thoughts up on this well, but it's really good fun. It's a really great handheld mode with a lot of replay value, and generally feels higher quality than Mercs 3D, perhaps because the areas were built for the more substantial single player segments and then adapted.

Cool, thanks!

I note your use of plural. Tell me more.

There's essentially three teams in the game where you play as one character with an AI partner. They were shown in the trailers. Still, spoilered them:
On the Ship: Jill / Parker
Elsewhere: Chris / Jessica
In the snow: Keith / Quint

In all cases you play as the first of those pairs, but...

Mild, vague spoilers but for later in the game:
Later on there's a bit of partner swapping and some flashbacks with different duos. Any time Jill is in the group you're playing as her, though, and she is the only one who has access to the weapon upgrade system and stuff.

Review from Nintendo Life (9/10):

Resident Evil Revelations is a truly impressive achievement, and the definitive ‘mature’ title on the 3DS. With production values worthy of a home console release, a significant volume of content, a blend of the series’ different game styles and a subtly evolved control system, this title feels like a tribute to and progression of the franchise. There are some downsides though, including spikes in difficulty and drops in frame rate that are occasionally jarring in contrast to the rest of the title. All the same, Revelations has something to offer Resi fans old and new – there are few experiences on the 3DS more engrossing or exciting.

http://3ds.nintendolife.com/reviews/2012/01/resident_evil_revelations_3ds

I've played just past the first boss. I'm really impressed so far. It feels like a mainline Resident Evil game and the ship parts remind me of REmake had it been in 3rd person.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
EuroGamer 8/10 Nice indeed :)

The most surprising thing about Revelations is how often it resists the temptation of its own set-ups; slowly inching forwards, you hear a door slam, or something scuttle around the corner, but there's nothing there. The reveal is nearly always held back until you're just about to relax - and in contrast to the ooze, its bosses are a freaky clutch of organic nightmares. One in particular, a chattering hag who screams and shouts as you track her through the ventilation, is scarier than anything in Resident Evil 5.

.......Raid is a great concept for 3DS, and Revelations executes it with conviction, style, and a hell of a lot of substance. The real hook is the combination of online co-op with a levelling and loot system. At the end of each run you're graded and are nearly always rewarded with phat loot and in-game currency. The kit can be used immediately, and the cash used to buy even more stuff from the shop (there are also special items that can only be bought with play coins, as well as StreetPass unlocks). I've played it for hours and there are still pages and pages of locked characters and gear.

from reading the review I get the impression that Re:R Campaign is good but not as great as RE:4 and that Raid mode is the major hook, giving longevity to the title, (apart from any OCD players who like 100% stuff), well maybe Raid mode is hear to stay and it sounds good enough to be it's own game but is included in the package.....Nice...

EuroGamer 8/10 Nice indeed :)

from reading the review I get the impression that Re:R Campaign is good but not as great as RE:4 and that Raid mode is the major hook, giving longevity to the title, (apart from any OCD players who like 100% stuff), well maybe Raid mode is hear to stay and it sounds good enough to be it's own game but is included in the package.....Nice...

As good as RE4 would be near impossible though. From what I've gathered, this is a spectacular return to form, bringing together a much refined gameplay system from RE4 with the style and feeling of the old PS1 games.

If Revelations is any indication as to how RE6 (or at least Leons campaign) is going to end up, then sign me up for maximum overhype.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So.............................. Any word of unlockable costumes?

The Eurogamer review hinted at unlockable costumes.

Eurogamer said:
Revelations' campaign feels like every great sequence is paired with a slightly botched one, but overall it just about delivers. Long after those twists and turns are a memory, however, you'll be running through the game's corridors with a pimped-out shotgun, a comedy costume and eyes on the prize.

Top Bottom