• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

I give you shooting galleries (overall enemies in REV1 - Oozes especially - were awful), but give me the support cast from REV1 over the one from REV2 any day. REV2 has strong main cast (Barry, Claire, Moira, Natalia and Alex), but really weak and forgettable supporting cast. Pedro, Gabe, Gina (lol, should I even care about her death?) and even Neil were so boring and generic that I found it hard to care for them at all.

I totally disagree with enemy designs. For the most part you're just fighting really generic zombie enemies in R2 as opposed to all the different type of ooze which were really unique and creepy - sea creepers being one of my favs. Even the wolf enemies were so much cooler than R2's pig-dog things.

In R2's defense I did hate the scagdeads and hunters, plus Revenants were awesome. Dhurglas and glasps looked unique too (even if you hardly saw glasps lol). None of them can beat scarmigliones though :p

Mr_Zombie

Rev2's characters might not be memorable but at least they aren't obnoxious either.
Rev1 played the
"He's dead, oh wait! He isn't!" card with every single one of them which was lame as hell. In Rev2 not only do they die, but they die by your own hand. Having Claire being forced to kill her ex-colleagues certainly was much more effective story telling than whatever shenanigans the clowns in Rev1 were up to. Not only didn't I care when they supposedly died, but I was disappointed when it turned out they didn't, though by the the third time they pulled that stunt it was hardly a surprise anymore.

I disagree. By the end of the game I liked most of the cast in REV1 even though most of them were obnoxious; and when
Parker "died", I did care about him.
In REV2 the supporting cast is just a bunch of people that (apart from that one awesome quote by Pedro) wasn't memorable at all; they could as well be just random NPCs and not actual characters.
Claire being forced to kill them would be effective if we - as the player - had a history with them, know them better. I don't care about Claire feelings, and it's not like she agonized over her former colleagues that much either. Even the scene between Claire and Neil didn't have enough pay off given the history between the two and the implied feelings.

I totally disagree with enemy designs. For the most part you're just fighting really generic zombie enemies in R2 as opposed to all the different type of ooze which were really unique and creepy - sea creepers being one of my favs. Even the wolf enemies were so much cooler than R2's pig-dog things.

No, no, don't get me wrong, design wise they were great - creepy, uneasy, slimy. But gameplay wise Oozes were really boring as standard enemies, especially compared to previous RE entries (zombies, Gonados, Majini). And since you could perform melee attacks only after you stun them, and stunning them required you to shoot off both their arms, they weren't even fun to play with.

I disagree. By the end of the game I liked most of the cast in REV1 even though most of them were obnoxious; and when
Parker "died", I did care about him.
In REV2 the supporting cast is just a bunch of people that (apart from that one awesome quote by Pedro) wasn't memorable at all; they could as well be just random NPCs and not actual characters.
Claire being forced to kill them would be effective if we - as the player - had a history with them, know them better. I don't care about Claire feelings, and it's not like she agonized over her former colleagues that much either. Even the scene between Claire and Neil didn't have enough pay off given the history between the two and the implied feelings.

No, no, don't get me wrong, design wise they were great - creepy, uneasy, slimy. But gameplay wise Oozes were really boring as standard enemies, especially compared to previous RE entries (zombies, Gonados, Majini). And since you could perform melee attacks only after you stun them, and stunning them required you to shoot off both their arms, they weren't even fun to play with.

Well, at the end of the day what matters to me is that Rev2 had me hooked every step of the way while in Rev1 I barely cared about what was going on, every new character (except for Parker who was OK I guess) annoyed the hell out of me.
In Rev2 the main cast (both returning and new characters) were great, the villain was incomparably better, the plot and the way it was presented, combined with the setting and atmosphere just made everything come together very nicely, as a huge RE fan I just had a smile on my face every step of the way.

We agree on the enemies though, the fights are definitely much more dynamic.

They knew what Rev1 did right and expanded on it and the result speaks for itself.
They dropped those goddamned shooting/turret section, took the template they used for Jill's parts and went even further with the focus on atmoshphere, tension, puzzles, resource management and survival. Boss fights are incomparably better designed. The gameplay was fine-tuned. The story is simpler but more effective and both the plot and the characterization nail that mix of cheese and awesome that is perfect for a RE game.

Quite frankly I can't recommend the game enough.

Just beat it.

It was so good, damn. Much better than Rev 1 in terms of atmosphere and gameplay. The music felt lacking, honestly, which is a big deal for me personally because Rev 1's OST was great.

I got the bad ending and, looking online to see how to get the good one, I'm mad that I fucked up that part because I seemingly
switched back to Claire somehow. I know for a fact I was trying to do it as Moira because it gave me strong RE6-Chris-campaign vibes. I must have run out of time, too, or something.

Neiteio

Just beat it.

It was so good, damn. Much better than Rev 1 in terms of atmosphere and gameplay. The music felt lacking, honestly, which is a big deal for me personally because Rev 1's OST was great.

I got the bad ending and, looking online to see how to get the good one, I'm mad that I fucked up that part because I seemingly
switched back to Claire somehow. I know for a fact I was trying to do it as Moira because it gave me strong RE6-Chris-campaign vibes. I must have run out of time, too, or something.
Oh man, you MUST go back for the good ending. If you liked the game with the bad ending, you'll fucking ADORE it with the good ending.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I'm still unable to to do events in PS4-land. Maybe that just isn't getting fixed :/

Seemed like I could connect every once in a while, but now I never can.

Oh, well, the prizes aren't very good anyway (except for the top tier stuff)

Oh man, you MUST go back for the good ending. If you liked the game with the bad ending, you'll fucking ADORE it with the good ending.
Ha. I went for it immediately after I posted, actually. I'm glad I could just do half of chapter 3 and then just jump straight to 4.

shmoglish

The Raidmode is so much fun. Played 2 hours with a stranger and we made good progress. Is the complete Raidmode available in Episode 1?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm about to get this game started. Do you guys have any tips for a complete wuss like me?

Switching characters is pretty important, and honestly a bit OP once you figure out how to exploit it. Then the challenging thing becomes your limited inventory space and juggling all the ammo and items you're building up and not using.

Mr_Zombie

I'm about to get this game started. Do you guys have any tips for a complete wuss like me?

For combat go: headshot -> switch to Moira and hit the enemy with a crowbar -> do a follow-up kick with Claire. Later you will also be able to buy ability to hit enemies that are already down on the floor. Buy it.

EDIT: Actually, it's headshot -> kick with Claire -> switch to Moira and hit the enemy with a crowbar while it's on the ground.

If you want to secure some ammo (especially in Claire's chapter), buy the Unholstered skill. It allows Claire and Barry to use their weapons (without wasting ammo! it's basically free shots!) while you're controlling Moira or Natalia. And since Moira's crowbar is really powerful against basic enemies (especially if you upgrade it via skills), you will be able to survive most fights playing only as Moira with Claire backing you up from time to time (especially helpful if you equip her with shotgun, so that she pushes enemies back).

And of course, if you play as Moira or Natalia you will be able to spot hidden ammo, items and collectibles.

Plasma

Banned
Has there been anymore news on if there will be more episodes coming in the future? I know some people found some references to more content in the files but I'm wondering now if that is just stuff for the events.

Gren

I just barely finished the 15th mission. Largely thanks to fire ammo/extended burn, it wasn't too hard until the 14th & 15th stage, what with all the spongy Executioners, Napads, etc. I fucked on the first two days & wasted time killing all the enemies even after the exit appeared (force of habit).

This weekly was much, much better than those lousy "giant enemy" ones. Not only are they *incredibly* boring to do, but on PC, cheaters pretty much decimate the lifebars in mere hours. If possible, they need to implement a per-round damage cap like the Ur-Dragon from Dragon's Dogma. But it's probably not even worth it.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Here's a challenge....get through all of Code Red with Pedro using *ONLY* his default skills(NO inherited ones), solo, obtain all completionist medals and do it while signed in(so you're at Lvl 90 and the enemies are at Lvl 105)

Good luck, have fun, and don't break your controller ;)

Gradon

I know some people found some references to more content in the files but I'm wondering now if that is just stuff for the events.

What was on the disc? Is there a compilation of what was found? Because I would love more content for this game. Also what implies there is more episodes? I'd think only costumes/characters were hidden.

Anybody here up for some co-op Raid Mode, with an emphasis on collecting all medallions per stage? I've been doing that with great success solo so far (Level 34 now, I think), but I'm sure it would be more fun with another player. I believe I'm up to Gauntlet V.

SeanTSC

Immediately spend points on Upgrading the Crowbar and Bricks. They turn the secondary characters into total Badasses even on the higher difficulties and are the best early points you can spend, imo.

Gren

Hey dragonlife GGs. Lemme know if you ever want to play some levels again.

After playing off & on for several weeks, I'm finally about to finish Code Red. Just have the final boss fight left. I'm pretty happy with my current skills build, so even if the Wesker DLC goes on sale, don't think I'll be getting it for his evade cancel skill.

Will probably hang up Raid Mode for a while after this, unless they add different stages later on. Maybe pop in to try and get the Bloody Gina skin (fat chance).

So campaign duplicate weapons is apparently fixed on PC according to patch notes. Haven't checked it personally yet though.

...Man I hope they reveal new DLC soon, getting thirsty for some new stages/characters.

Gren

I would prefer more stages. I dread the thought of having to grind out another character to my liking. So help me god if they even add a STARS skin for Jill (lvl 1) :p

Unkle

Yo guys, I received a code to play Resident Evil: Revelations 2 back when the full season was released and I'm only getting around to it now (sacrilegious, I know) but I've encountered a problem:

The code was for NA, and given the fact my main account is European I downloaded the whole game on my alt NA account with the aim of then just playing it through my main European account like you can with most titles. That's where the issue rears its head; upon starting the game I'm treated to a PS4 screen telling me that ''There is no content'' before then bringing me to the main screen. I can play the first episode in its entirety but the rest of the episodes are locked. Comparatively, the whole game can be played on the alt NA account. It may sound nit-picky but I wouldn't mind getting the progress on my main account but if it's not possible then no problem but I'm just curious since I've done this sort of thing with the likes of The Evil Within among others.

Does anyone know what's up?

Thanks!

You'll have to replay the game all the back to Episode 3.

When the QTE starts after you defeat monster Neal, switch to Moira and have her grab the gun .
This will lead to the good ending.

Made the same mistake. Tbh its stupid that the ending relies on such an uninformed choice.

So will it overwrite the stuff I did after that bit or can I go back change it and continue playing off where I left off. I'm still in chapter 3.

ArjanN

Made the same mistake. Tbh its stupid that the ending relies on such an uninformed choice.

So will it overwrite the stuff I did after that bit or can I go back change it and continue playing off where I left off. I'm still in chapter 3.

You' only have to replay Claire's chapter 3. The latest version of any choice you make is the one that's saved.

YAAAAYYY they've added
worst outfit
Jessica in the game!!
Wish she wasn't a costume swap for Gina (dat terrible voice), also her wetsuit or even the snow gear look so much better on her. Still, will be great to play as someone new when I eventually pick this game up again. Palette swap for Lottie too.

l_55767c422acae.jpg
l_55767c46b723b.jpg

Love that they're giving us free new content.

I've given up hope on the Vita version. I really should get the remainder of episodes on PS4 to see what the hubbub is about since I had a pretty decent time with the first ep. Bloodborne is stealing all my time at the moment though.

Those of you that like this so much is it like a RE5 situation where the game is kinda mediocre in singleplayer but amazing in coop, or was it a good singleplayer experience throughout the campaign as well?

Gradon

I've given up hope on the Vita version. I really should get the remainder of episodes on PS4 to see what the hubbub is about since I had a pretty decent time with the first ep. Bloodborne is stealing all my time at the moment though.

Those of you that like this so much is it like a RE5 situation where the game is kinda mediocre in singleplayer but amazing in coop, or was it a good singleplayer experience throughout the campaign as well?

Co-op mode is walking simulator with some small abilities for the second player.
It's fun to experience the story with someone else though, I experienced it with my boyfriend.
The singleplayer is ace and this game has the best story in the Resident Evil series imo.

Co-op mode is walking simulator with some small abilities for the second player.
It's fun to experience the story with someone else though, I experienced it with my boyfriend.
The singleplayer is ace and this game has the best story in the Resident Evil series imo.

Thanks, I'll def get it then. Hard to get buddies over for for extended gaming sessions now and my significant other is not down with scary games.

Kuraudo

Banned

Nope, it's the opposite of RE5: Rev 2 is great in single player, kind of dull in coop.

JJD

So it seems Capcom and Sony fixed the license issues the game had.

I received a message from Sony on my PS4 and when I tried to restore licenses it actually worked this time!

I could also download chapter 1 of the game and the throwback raid maps from the PS4 for the first time since I bought the damn game.

It's only 3 months late guys, but good work. I was afraid they were never going to fix it.

So did the patch on PS4 finally fix the weapon dupe glitch that corrupts your save? The patch notes said something about Barry's EX weapons being fixed, whatever those are.

I stopped playing after Claire's chapter in episode 2 when I found out about the glitch and would love to finally get back to it since I've already spoiled the crap out of it by playing Raid.

ArjanN

I am very ok with this, as much as I loved RE5's co-op I'll always take a well crafted single player experience over the coop.

I don't agree at all though, I think the co-op in REV2 is much more interesting than RE5 where you were just an extra gun.

The AI character also works much better than in the RE5 single-player.

When did they put in an FBC Jessica Costume? <3

Yesterday/today.

Top Bottom