• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelations coming to PS4/XBO

I have no idea why you think it'd be so expensive to port this game to Switch. Low cost ports of older games is one of the easiest ways to support a platform, Capcom has supported smaller platforms with more. Capcom should be wanting to help grow the platform that will in all likelihood be the successor to the platform that has had their most stable franchise for the past few years.

I have no idea why you don't think return on investment for all projects, even cheap ones, isn't a deciding factor in green lighting it. they simply won't make the money to make the game worthwhile right now. it'll eventually go to switch, because capcom port everything everywhere now it seems. but right now they decided it wasn't worth releasing.

ramparter

Banned
Instead of porting Code Veronica for PS4/PC/One, Capcom ports this...I mean, probably it's a port from the PC version, but why they decided to go with this instead of a proper RE game?

Well ask yourself which if the two is the easier to port?

tkscz

Barf.

One of the worst games in the series.

Disagree whole heartiedly. This game (at least the Jill sections) were what I've wanted sense RE:4. A perfect mix of the controls of new RE with the exploration/horror elements of classic RE.

Woah ok, physical release too? Very cool and strange. I guess Capcom are releasing all HD RE games on PS4/XBO. I know Switch posts are all over threads like this but it really is a shame Capcom haven't announced any Switch RE games, I would do unspeakable things for a portable RE4.

kc44135

That's cool, but for anyone who hasn't played it yet, I'd advise caution. This game was impressive by 3DS standards (it's still one of the best looking games ever released for it), but it really shows it's portable limitations when played on console. Aiming feels awful compared to any of the proper console RE's, melee is extremely limited, the Dodge mechanic sucks ass, enemies often just feel like bullet sponges, and for all the marketing talk about the game being a return to the series Survival Horror roots, it really isn't scary at all, nor does it have the structure and design of the classics and RE7. Much like Revelations 2, it's really just a linear action game with gameplay mechanics that don't compare very well to the mainline action games. All that said, it's cool they're porting it, and even if I'm not the biggest fan of the Revelations series, I'll still buy it. I am hopelessly obsessed with this series after all.

Jawmuncher

I'd thank god. really though I'd say they will pivot and make Rev the action series now the mainline has gone back to being good. Keep the trash in the trash heap :p

I would think if they decide to make action again, they'd just give it a new subtitle. No reason to reuse the Rev name, considering action RE fans don't really care for that series already.

Also action RE isn't trash, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Disagree whole heartiedly. This game (at least the Jill sections) were what I've wanted sense RE:4. A perfect mix of the controls of new RE with the exploration/horror elements of classic RE.

It's not scary though. It also probably has the worst designed monsters out of the entire franchise. And the ship is also really bland with no character. It's just all kind of bland.

Instead of porting Code Veronica for PS4/PC/One, Capcom ports this...I mean, probably it's a port from the PC version, but why they decided to go with this instead of a proper RE game?
I want Code Veronica with replaced models: Chris, Wesker and zombies from REmake and for Claire use the model from the Code Veronica-cutscenes (I mean the in-engine cutscenes, not the FMVs) which has more polygons than the one you steer outside her cutscenes.

I have no idea why you don't think return on investment for all projects, even cheap ones, isn't a deciding factor in green lighting it. they simply won't make the money to make the game worthwhile right now. it'll eventually go to switch, because capcom port everything everywhere now it seems. but right now they decided it wasn't worth releasing.

And yet they thought it was a good idea to port over Street Fighter 2 HD and port over the MT framework engine for just a dumb little first person mode.
The return of this port on PS4 and XBO isn't going to be high at all and the return for it on Switch would likely be higher than their SF2 port. Like I said, ports of old games are one of the easiest ways to support a system, especially if the system is easy to port to (all indications are that the Switch is very easy to work with) and the first year of new platforms are often filled with ports. Capcom skipping Switch for this just plain dumb, especially when they've ported bigger games to smaller platforms.

Jawmuncher

It's not scary though. It also probably has the worst designed monsters out of the entire franchise. And the ship is also really bland with no character. It's just all kind of bland.

That's where I sit with it.
It's not a bad game, but I wouldn't call it good either. It's the definition of mediocre. It just kinda exists as a game. For me I didn't hate my time with it, but I also have no care to go back to it. I've even beaten it multiple times just to see if my opinion would change about it.

Shiggy

Sales of the 3DS and Wii U Resident Evil games weren't really satisfying Capcom's expectations, so it doesn't come as a surprise they are taking a wait-and-see approach. They'll surely launch new Ace Attorney and Monster Hunter games on Switch, which are more targeted at Japanese players.

RootCause

I've already bought this on three platforms. Think I'll wait for a large price drop this time. Hopefully they bring the rest of the series to steam, ps4, and x1.

Opa-Pa

How was the last gen port of this? I enjoyed REv quite a lot on 3DS so I'd like to replay it in a definitive version.

Also everyone and their mother seems to call this bad/mediocre and I remember it being the first RE game I loved since RE4 so I'd like to see how wrong my perspective of this game is lol.

dolabla

Also disappointed they aren't bringing it to the Switch. I thought it was a decent game. Maybe at a later date? I hope they bring Origins Collection too since those two were GameCube games at one time.

kc44135

I've already bought this on three platforms. Think I'll wait for a large price drop this time. Hopefully they bring the rest of the series to steam, ps4, and x1.
It's likely only going to be $20 this time around y'know, just like the other REmasters they've put out. I really doubt they'd charge anything more than that for an HD port of a five year old 3DS game.
How was the last gen port of this? I enjoyed REv quite a lot on 3DS so I'd like to replay it in a definitive version.

Also everyone and their mother seems to call this bad/mediocre and I remember it being the first RE game I loved since RE4 so I'd like to see how wrong my perspective of this game is lol.

Well, there's nothing wrong with the HD ports specifically (although some folks disliked the laser sight being replaced with a generic crosshair). I think the main reason alot of people disliked the HD ports compared to the 3DS original is simply that the game doesn't hold up well as a console experience. It doesn't look or sound all that great, even if the HD version is a decent upgrade over the original. The story is incomprehensibly dumb (even by RE standards, it's pretty bad). The gameplay is also just really clunky and awkward compared to the mainline action games, and even Revelations 2. I don't like REV2 as much as most people seem to, but it's still a dramatic improvement in gameplay over the original.

kc44135

Yeah, that's actually pretty facepalm worthy. It looks like a very,very safe port to make ?

Yeah, it seems like a no-brainer, especially considering it was designed for a handheld (a Nintendo handheld, no less) in the first place. It seems​ like it would be a great fit, tbh.

KaneU

Have this on my 3DS and couldn't play it for more than one hour overall, the controls were pretty terrible on 3DS.

Top Bottom