• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESOGUN |OT| It's about kicking ass, and voxels

I haven't made it past veteran, but i'm usually making at least 4m+ a level, especially if I keep my multiplier up.

One of the recommendations that I would give is that you pick an area for each keeper and hold it before they arrive. The keepers spawns are not random and are always the same type and seem to appear close to the same spot each time. I've been thinking about the human pickup locations as partitions separating the board into left and right. After I rescue a human I know where and what the next keepers are and I essentially camp their spawn. That being said the enemy spawns are not random either so I've been taking a mental note that if I'm camping/holding one part of the screen at certain intervals I need to boost over to the other side of the screen to kill enemies in order to keep my multiplier up.

So for each keeper spawn I'm noting: location, type, are they part of a multi-keeper spawn?(if so which do I go after first, special kill instruction (ie. have to shoot keepers from behind to save the human), and do I have to abandon the human for a second in order to not get abandoned on one side of the screen without enemies to kill that makes me loose my multiplier.

Man this is a fun game.

Oh no no, it took longer than a day, it goes all the way back to Life Force on NES. After you get the hang of moving the ship around and shooting things, every game that comes afterward is just a variation on what you already know and the focus is on tweaks you can make to get good at that particular game.

If you really want to get better, I can offer a few general tips. The most important is probably learning the enemy patterns. The way I go about that is starting from level 1 after each game over, and keep that up until I can beat the game. It's kind of inefficient in this game since there's a level select, but trust me, you'll be really good at the earlier levels by the time you're done. Also, keep your gaze focused around your ship rather than the mass of enemies when there's a lot of action going on. You'll know what enemies are spawning and what their movement patterns are soon enough if you restart from scratch after a game over, so you'll be able to tell what that little blob at the edge of the screen is without focusing on it just by the way it moves around on the screen.

As for Resogun-specific stuff: After each phase and the start of a new level you have a grace period of 5 seconds or so where your multiplier timer is stopped as long as you don't kill anything or pick up/drop off a human. Use that to your advantage in areas where it can be tricky to keep your multiplier going (beginning of level 3 is the only one I can remember atm) and let some enemies spawn and get close before you start shooting.

Great places to use overdrive: The BEST place is on the level 3 boss. With a 15x multiplier on veteran, using overdrive on the big gray cube it spits out is worth ~15 million points or so. If your multiplier isn't maxed out, you can just hang out for a while and build your multiplier up shooting grey cubes, then hammer on the boss until he spits out another and then OD. I pretty much only use OD as a point generator. It really does net a lot of points if you have a high multiplier and get a lot of enemies to shoot, so I use it that way instead of as a backup boost button.

Use only as much boost as you need! This is especially true with Phobos, since it is a sitting duck for a long time if you get caught up in trying to save humans on the opposite side of the ring or blowing through those long formations of ground turrets. Boost is your primary method of escaping bad situations in the later levels.

Bombs: LOL I dunno. I occasionally use them to keep multis going, but more often hoard them and blow them all on the later levels. Sometimes I even game over with one or two left in reserve like I can take them with me to the afterlife or something. I'm bad with bombs.

Boss stuff: On the level 2 boss, get right down on top of each panel between the turrets to take them out, then skirt along the perimeter between turret shots to move to the next one. It's way easier than hanging on the outside as the boss plays keep away with the remaining panels. Once he changes forms, get on the top or bottom of the screen, run away, and dodge bullets by changing speeds. When he exposes the green spots you can take the first one out and boost to the other side and get the other before he goes back into spaz mode with Phobos.

Oh, and RELAX! Every enemy in the game has a pattern, while you can move anywhere you want at any time. It's kind of like a puzzle in that way, and the goal is getting yourself into positions that you can escape from and taking things out in order of priority. I'm not fast enough to play twitch games, and thankfully Resogun is NOT a twitchy super-fast reflexes MLG4LYFE kind of game, at least on veteran and below. It's kind of this perfect mix of tense and exciting but not frustrating. You can get really good at it just by treating each game like a learning experience.

There's lots of little stuff that really doesn't have any right answer (when to save/not save humans, which ship is the best, etc), but hopefully some other folks will hop on and share some of their insights (I'm looking at you, JoeFenix!).
Thanks a lot for these tips! I had bumped up to veteran but decided to drop back down to the normal difficulty until I get the hang of keeping my multipliers up.

I can't get a good feel on when the best time to use the bombs are either so I've been using them when I'm stuck too far away from a group of enemies to keep my multiplier up too :lol

I'm sure that's a total waste but I've been pretty desperate to get my score higher.

Isn't JoeFenix the SSDHD master as well? It's great how different these games are but the skills are transferable.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
My god this game is straight up crack. Sooo damn satisfying. The PS4 is my Resogun playing machine haha.

see5harp

BZUkivJCQAEFxmA.jpg

JoeFenix

sMP1SYl.jpg

Bullets, bullets EVERYWHERE!

Was so close to unlocking that Hero difficulty, I REALLY want to see what it is, the leaderboards are empty for it.

JoeFenix

Holy shit dude! You'll need to do a stream at some point so the rest of us can watch the brilliance.

Upgrading my internet to fiber on Wednesday so I can stream, I have a capture card and am buying a HDCP stripper so I'll be able to do some 720p/60fps!

Fun times!

Damn Joe, nice!

What's needed to unlock Hero?

If it's anything like unlocking Master difficulty you just need to beat the highest available difficulty on 1CC. I was almost at the final boss :(

Enemies shoot out bullets when you kill them on Master so it gets incredibly intense on the later levels. This might be my favorite Housemarque game, want to give it more time but this is just glorious!

see5harp

Yea doing one level on master was enough for me. It makes using the big ship a bit tougher because you have a lot less escape ability with the slow boost recharge. The big ship is by far the best ship to take down bosses though. An overcharge from that ship (which charges much faster than the other ships) just melts them.

sMP1SYl.jpg

Was so close to unlocking that Hero difficulty, I REALLY want to see what it is, the leaderboards are empty for it.

I'm proud of you, fellow Canuck!

Just wait until I get my PS4 tomorrow! PLEASE tell me you have the footage of those last 15 minutes!

JoeFenix

I'm proud of you, fellow Canuck!

Just wait until I get my PS4 tomorrow! PLEASE tell me you have the footage of those last 15 minutes!

Thanks man! Maple syrup forever!

I'm sorry to say that I don't have the footage though :(

It's not a once in a lifetime run or anything, the score ceiling for Master is WAY higher than 80 million, this was a pretty slopster run honestly.

I'll get my stream setup in the next couple of days so hopefully I'll get the chance to record an even better run!

Thanks man! Maple syrup forever!

I'm sorry to say that I don't have the footage though :(

It's not a once in a lifetime run or anything, the score ceiling for Master is WAY higher than 80 million, this was a pretty slopster run honestly.

I'll get my stream setup in the next couple of days so hopefully I'll get the chance to record an even better run!

I'll wait for that stream. Good stuff man

This game is easily my biggest time sink. Every time I boot my Ps4 this is undoubtedly the first game on.

TheExodu5

Banned
If it's anything like unlocking Master difficulty you just need to beat the highest available difficulty on 1CC. I was almost at the final boss :(

1CC as in 1 Credit Clear? Didn't need that to unlock Master. I did a full playthrough on Veteran with multiple restarts and I unlocked it.

Pixels

sMP1SYl.jpg

LOL! I literally just looked at the leaderboards and thought whoa I wonder how that joe guy did it.

JoeFenix

1CC as in 1 Credit Clear? Didn't need that to unlock Master. I did a full playthrough on Veteran with multiple restarts and I unlocked it.

Hmm, now I'm even more intrigued! I guess since I always restart if I lose all my lives I just assumed you couldn't continue to unlock Master.

What the hell is this Hero difficulty then? I must know!

sMP1SYl.jpg

Damn! Nice work. Number 2 is not even close.

What a great weekend. It has been a constant struggle putting down Resogun and/or Killzone with some Need For Speed and Contrast on the side.

XJF

Beat on Vet and got all humans! All I have left is 15x, 1CC, and Plat!
Veteran was mind numbing! Dat 4th board!

lol51

Just got the trophy the "The true RESOGUN starts here...". Finishing Mefitis felt so good and rewarding.

Tried the share feature too. Hate that it only uploads to facebook, but I used a chrome addon (FVD Video) that downloads facebook videos and just reuploaded it to youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mscD8heTjZw

The quality isn't that good, but hey thats probably what happens when it processes through Facebook->Youtube.

Xevren

Think I have had more fun with my own little mini game of seeing how far I can throw humans with boost+throw into escape pods.

Raxus

I platinumed Resogun this morning. If any of you need help getting the experienced campaign without dying just add me. I am College_boy on PSN.

FluxWaveZ

Well, I'm pretty glad about having made the top 10 in Experienced (for now):

Wasn't particularly going for it (wanted that 1cc trophy). On to bigger and better difficulties!

Oh, and Canada represent.

see5harp

urgh, I can't do the last level on experienced or veteran :(

Try Phobos or the crazy homing guy. The last boss you basically wanna just keep moving and use dash when necessary. As long as you've gotten most of the upgrades you should get it eventually.

d0c_zaius

godley joe dominating my leaderboards for life

game of the launch for me, no doubt. but housemarque always delivers. currently at 15 mill.

mollipen

• Keep your multiplier up
    Some humans will only be released if you have your multiplier high enough at certain parts of the level. These are the ones people seem to be having the most trouble with.
    Basically, if it's high enough, your multiplier will flash and extend a line from the top of the screen to the human it unlocks.
    If your multiplier is too low, that human will be lost instantly with an accompanying sound effect.

...oooooooh.

Voxels? Really?

I had an inventor about 10 years ago tell me that voxels were going to be THE thing. I nodded my head and laughed. Nothing ever happened. Textures & 3D mapping won out. Or maybe Minecraft is the revolution?

I dunno. Explain it to me.

Top Bottom