• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retail copies of MGS: Ground Zeroes to include additional bonus content over digital

Roto13

What are we complaining about exactly? Sounds like the retail version is going to come with some physical thing. Like a special edition. Maybe a case for both Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain and something.

Konami marketing team or whoever is responsible for the whole "ground zeroes exclusives for everyone" needs to get slapped on the face. This is just stupid.

The whole concept is stupid honestly.

They should have just released MGS V as MGS V without all this Ground Zeroes bullshit.

RangerBAD

Konami needs to prove to us GZ is worth the price point versus TPP that is a full game and not a "prologue". Kojima's phrasing is making this game look very slim.

SegaShack

How long is the game supposed to be? It won't be over in 3 hours will it?

I don't see anything wrong with charging more for a next gen version, even though it is kinda stupid.

Roto13

art book/soundtrack would be logical

No, it's definitely DLC that could be included with the download version, because publishers prefer to make people buy retail games because of the smaller profit margins. Don't you see?

mechphree

From my understanding, this game is just a glorified demo for MGS Phantom Pain. Gaf is this true? All i've been hearing is it's prequel to MGS Phantom Pain and nobody knows exactly how long it is.

Don't they take a bigger cut on digital, so why would they not want to encourage digital sales...

It's probably pressure from retailers to make the physical version more appealing than the digital. This is also a lot of the reason why digital games cost the same as physical on consoles too.

KingJ2002

what the hell konami?

Xbox & PS versions will have different content

then you split that up between digital and retail

while your at it... throw in exclusive content if they bought it at different retailers

I hate this gen's business practices so much.

kadotsu

Banned
I'll just wait for the inevitable all inclusive Ground Zeroes + Phantom Pain complete collection that has neither platform nor retail/digital exclusive contend bullshit attached.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
From my understanding, this game is just a glorified demo for MGS Phantom Pain. Gaf is this true? All i've been hearing is it's prequel to MGS Phantom Pain and nobody knows exactly how long it is.

It's a tutorial.
$40 for a tutorial.

Jack cw

What an absurd idea of a release policy. This is insane... As if MGS was that important. After all this I'm tempted to skip GZ and wait for the definitive phantom pain.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Is anyone actually winning from all these absurd exclusive console/retailer bonuses when everyone's getting something? It's just a fucking trainwreck.

RPGCrazied

I hate it when developers use the word "soon". SE has used that word on occasion and going months without saying a word. Thankfully this comes out in a few months. Surely we will know by the end of the year.

Another thing that will suck if review embargo's won't end until after the game is released, and ends up being really short. I don't want to pay $29.99 for a 2 hour game.

RangerBAD

I personally feel that way based on what we've been shown. There is certainly room for me to be wrong.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES will begin hitting retail stores beginning March 18, 2014 for the Xbox 360 games and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. The game will be available in retail stores nationwide on current generation systems for the MSRP of $29.99 or via download for $19.99. For Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, and PlayStation 4 systems, the game will be available for the MSRP of $39.99 for the retail version or via download for $29.99.

What the hell? There's 4 different price points, 4 different versions, and literally each version has different content. WHAT IS THE PURPOSE?! There's so many SDK that it should be impossible to pull any statistics from them. This shit makes me wish MGS stayed exclusive. Less bullshit.

halfbeast

Banned
so, that's like exclusive retail content then. is it the same exclusive content for both consoles or separate exclusives additional to the already announced exclusive content? is there some next-gen exclusive content to complement the exclusive contents we have so far?

And we didn't get into the pre-orders bonus yet!

post-19224-Fuck-This-Fuck-That-Fuck-Those-x2GP.gif

I mean, it's supposed to have side missions, including the platform-exclusive ones we've seen trailers for, but the way Konami's been describing it, it certainly doesn't sound like Ground Zeroes will have a considerable amount of total content.

All this exclusive content/retail edition bonuses nonsense is driving me crazy!

i-cannot-brain-today-i-has-the-dumb-cat.jpg

Can't everyone get an equal share of the Metal Gear pie and have the same content across all platforms?!?

RangerBAD

I mean, it's supposed to have side missions, including the platform-exclusive ones we've seen trailers for, but the way Konami's been describing it, it certainly doesn't sound like Ground Zeroes will have a considerable amount of total content.

I'm not sure if it's side missions with new maps or just side objectives on one or two maps.

Im officially confused right now..
First platform holder exclusives, now physical copy exclusive in before preorder and store exclusive. Konami you dun goof.

TMNT

Banned
The industry is clearly going through a transformation. Unfortunately the gamers of today are the guinea pigs of the publishers schemes until a standard comes into play. Until that point, we'll continue to see game content being spread amongst multiple distributors, spread amongst different versions, etc.

It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Sean Eyestone stated in a Ground Zeroes walkthrough video recently that Ground Zeroes will have several hours worth of gameplay (along with side missions) and explicitly stated that it is "more than just a couple of hours." No one knows much outside of this at the moment, unfortunately. Hard to tell how much gameplay will be included in the final package, but Metal Gear games have always had a great deal of replayability at the very least -- for me, anyway.

EDIT: KP Alert podcast, not walkthrough video. Sorry.

Dysun

Konami and Kojima are off their rocker. These shenanigans are only making me want MGS V less. Absurd pricing now with exclusive content and a box for a 2 hour demo, someone stop me from getting too hyped lol

RangerBAD

Sean Eyestone stated in a Ground Zeroes walkthrough video recently that Ground Zeroes will have several hours worth of gameplay (along with side missions) and explicitly stated that it is "more than just a couple of hours." No one knows much outside of this at the moment, unfortunately. Hard to tell how much gameplay will be included in the final package, but Metal Gear games have always had a great deal of replayability at the very least -- for me, anyway.

EDIT: KP Alert podcast, not walkthrough video. Sorry.

It probably will be if you're aiming for a Platinum/100%. lol

JKRMA

Banned
Ouch, $40 for ps4 version:( So no comments on the lenght other than PP being 300 times largers than GZ which will be $60. So $20 more for a game 300 times larger does not reflect well on the value of GZ...

It probably will be if you're aiming for a Platinum/100%. lol

XD Well, I would play through the game a million times anyway. I've done it with every other Metal Gear title! Seriously, though, I like the idea of practicing infiltration in more than just one way. That kind of stuff will really keep me coming back.

Konami and Kojima are off their rocker. These shenanigans are only making me want MGS V less. Absurd pricing now with exclusive content and a box for a 2 hour demo, someone stop me from getting too hyped lol

Wait wut, i haven't been following this game but really 2 hours..?

Batzi

Banned

Your assumptions are based on nothing but hatred from other members on GAF. We don't know the length of GZ so saying 2 hours is nonsense and pure speculation while saying that a demo is 2 hours is plain stupid. Never heard of a demo having 2 hours of content.

Phades

Exclusive console content.
Exclusive Boxed content.

Cant wait for the exclusive retailer content. Lets keep this stupid train rolling.

Its a fucking 2/3 hour demo for crying out loud.

Actually now that I think about it maybe it might come with some kind of MGO beta? That would actually make sense and not be completely shitty.

I'm starting to get the impression that if all the content would be unified it could have been a "full" normal retail release title.

Top Bottom