• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retail copies of MGS: Ground Zeroes to include additional bonus content over digital

I would not be surprised if it is a code you have to redeem online anyways that is stuffed with the games instruction booklets and will be sold to the digital buyers separately for $10.

jackdoe

I feel like whatever they include won't justify that $10 premium. Also, why do I get the feeling that the actual story mission will last one to two hours with every other hour of content being modified missions based on the same map? Sure, that technically would offer hours of gameplay, but it would get boring real fast.

Batzi

Banned
Also, why do I get the feeling that the actual story mission will last one to two hours with every other hour of content being modified missions based on the same map?

Peace Walker was pretty much like that and I loved that game. In fact, I find it the most fun among all Metal Gear games in the series. It offered a lot more gameplay and the Extra Ops were so much fun specially when played with people!

It was already confirmed that the Side-Ops were going to be different than the Extra-Ops in terms of repetitiveness. You should not worry about that part much. Guys, there are games that have 15 hours of gameplay and are worthless. I'd rather have a rich experience than a long one.

AHA-Lambda

Whoever was in charge of marketing & promotion for Ground Zeroes really needs to be fired, this shit is getting as convuluted as a metal gear plot =/

Dysun

Your assumptions are based on nothing but hatred from other members on GAF. We don't know the length of GZ so saying 2 hours is nonsense and pure speculation while saying that a demo is 2 hours is plain stupid. Never heard of a demo having 2 hours of content.

We already know GZ is the one base camp infiltration mission. Whether or not it has you infiltrate the same base in a different pattern to rescue random hostage X, Y, Z doesn't change the criticism that it is a glorified demo devoid of content. This is MGS2 tanker mission-lite until shown otherwise.
I'll be happy to eat crow if I'm wrong, but come March I highly doubt it wont be the case

Alienous

Sean Eyestone stated in a Ground Zeroes walkthrough video recently that Ground Zeroes will have several hours worth of gameplay (along with side missions) and explicitly stated that it is "more than just a couple of hours." No one knows much outside of this at the moment, unfortunately. Hard to tell how much gameplay will be included in the final package, but Metal Gear games have always had a great deal of replayability at the very least -- for me, anyway.

EDIT: KP Alert podcast, not walkthrough video. Sorry.

I'm under the impression that it's several hours, including side-missions.

I've watched the reports and playthroughs, and I can't remember hearing anything about the main 'story' itself being multiple hours long. But you make it seem like it's been said that it's several hours long + side content length.

In fact I think Eyestone has been very careful to not overstate the length of the content. Several hours of gameplay seems to encompass all the side content, and even consider multiple playthroughs (time-trials).

Several hours for the 'main story' would be similar to the length of a single act in MGS4, and even that seems unlikely.

Batzi

Banned
We already know GZ is the one base camp infiltration mission. Whether or not it has you infiltrate the same base in a different pattern to rescue random hostage X, Y, Z doesn't change the criticism that it is a glorified demo devoid of content. This is MGS2 tanker mission-lite until shown otherwise.
I'll be happy to eat crow if I'm wrong, but come March I highly doubt it wont be the case

It will be more than 2 hours for the main mission. Sean Eyestone said that.

So, they sell Demos now...

Nice.

Gran_Turismo_5_Prologue.jpg

Goon Boon

Banned
If they want to sell this for $30/40 then I want either a Steam/PC copy as an option or the full version of Metal Gear Online 3.

Why the fuck do so many people keep acting like they know exactly how long the game will be?

It's quite simple: we don't know how long the main story mission is nor do we know how many side missions there will be or how long they will be.

Stop throwing out the 30 minutes/45 minutes/2 hours BS when we simply don't know yet. Just because Kojima described the game as being like the first 15 minutes of a movie where it sets things up and gets you engaged with the story doesn't mean the game itself will be 15 minutes long.

Averon

How much content will this game have? I'm getting the feeling it's just an over elaborate demo for TPP that Konami is charging $30-$40 for.

yuraya

I am bit confused. If I understand correctly there will be 4 different versions of ground zeroes?

1) PS3/4 hard copy (+exclusive content)

2) PS3/4 digital copy (+exclusive content)

3) 360/One hard copy (+exclusive content)

4) 360/One digital copy (+exclusive content)

or is the hard copy going to include digital exclusive content as well? So than its still only 2 versions?

Kojima needs to release a PC version that also includes exclusive content. Icing on the cake.

Alienous

It will be more than 2 hours for the main mission. Sean Eyestone said that.

Regarding Ground Zeroes

"How long is the game? Is it only one mission? Is it just ... like, one mission and done?"

"Very good question. The answer is no, it's not just one mission. There are several missions in Ground Zeroes, and we've shown of a few of them so far. I think we've shown off ... well ... at least a couple, some footage from night missions, some from the day missions and of course we now have the déjà vu. So ... we're not going to reveal the exact amount of missions at this point, yet, but rest assured that there's a good amount of gameplay in the Ground Zeroes package and it's not something you'll get through in just a couple of hours. You'll be playing for a long time, and if you want to really explore everything there are a lot of side missions, side objectives and if you want to do all of that, that, of course, multiplies your gameplay value. There's a lot to do, bottom line"

That's the latest comment I can find on the length and breadth of the content in the game. Nothing conclusive, and vague enough to be doubtful.

Batzi

Banned
I can't remember him being so specific, and I've watched a most of the KP Podcasts and all of the walkthroughs.

Are you sure about that?

I am at work so can't access gaming sites. For some reason Neogaf is not considered as a gaming site which is great! I am sure that he or someone mocked about the idea of it being only 2 hours and said that it was going to be much longer than this. When I say someone I mean KONAMI/KP staff. Kojima is not going to release a 2 hours game. Doesn't fit his profile or reputation. When they sat down and talked about releasing GZ as a separate game, they discussed that part trust me, in fact I bet you some of the employees even voiced their concerns regarding that matter. They work as a team, Kojima will take the employees concerns into account but I am sure Kojima had already planned it from the beginning and designed the game as a separate release a long time ago. Again, let's wait and see. We might be surprised by the amount of gameplay GZ will offer for that price tag.

Batzi

Banned
Regarding Ground Zeroes

"How long is the game? Is it only one mission? Is it just ... like, one mission and done?"

"Very good question. The answer is no, it's not just one mission. There are several missions in Ground Zeroes, and we've shown of a few of them so far. I think we've shown off ... well ... at least a couple, some footage from night missions, some from the day missions and of course we now have the déjà vu. So ... we're not going to reveal the exact amount of missions at this point, yet, but rest assured that there's a good amount of gameplay in the Ground Zeroes package and it's not something you'll get through in just a couple of hours. You'll be playing for a long time, and if you want to really explore everything there are a lot of side missions, side objectives and if you want to do all of that, that, of course, multiplies your gameplay value. There's a lot to do, bottom line"

That's the latest comment I can find on the length and breadth of the content in the game. Nothing conclusive, and vague enough to be doubtful.
That's what I was referring to. Yes, no one will reveal to you the exact amount of chapters in a game so Kojima won't do that. You're just going to have to wait.

And for others who are whining read this

Why the fuck do so many people keep acting like they know exactly how long the game will be?

It's quite simple: we don't know how long the main story mission is nor do we know how many side missions there will be or how long they will be.

Stop throwing out the 30 minutes/45 minutes/2 hours BS when we simply don't know yet. Just because Kojima described the game as being like the first 15 minutes of a movie where it sets things up and gets you engaged with the story doesn't mean the game itself will be 15 minutes long.

Mindman

So to recap, there's the following:

Exclusive content for PS3/4 and Xbox 360/One
Exclusive content for physical release

Shall we expect exclusive content for retailers soon? As well as exclusive content for a retailer specific special edition? Maybe there will be PS4/One exclusive content and then PS3/360 exclusive content. And to top it off, a Japan only PS4 bundle with exclusive content.

LOL, somehow I think there will be more truth to this than we might think.

todd360

Flip a switch? We can't just flip a switch and put all the EXCLUSIVE CONTENT! on both systems.

How was that? I'm practicing to become a gaming pr person

Blader

I fully expect them to include Peace Walker HD with the retail versions.

Because its been said repeatedly that this is just a prologue, appetizer, etc. to the main event. Comparisons have been drawn to MGS2's tanker and MGS3's virtuous mission, neither of which were longer than an hour.

For that matter, why would it be longer than two hours? There's only the one location and very little story to get through.

this will probably be the first MGS game I skip, something tells me to jump ship while I'm not emotionally invested in Kojima productions anymore. Not giving me ZOE3 was enough to stop caring.

Because its been said repeatedly that this is just a prologue, appetizer, etc. to the main event. Comparisons have been drawn to MGS2's tanker and MGS3's virtuous mission, neither of which were longer than an hour.

For that matter, why would it be longer than two hours? There's only the one location and very little story to get through.

It's been described as the prologue because it is just that: it sets up events for Phantom Pain which will be much larger. "Prologue" describes the relative length within the entirety of MGSV; it's a vague term in describing actual length. The story mission itself may be a couple hours, yes, but that doesn't mean the entire game is. Plus it's misguided to think it'll be identical to either the Tanker or Virtuous Mission, especially when we know GZ will include other content and given that they're taking a new and different approach for the series. The different ways to approach the missions I'm sure will add extra time anyway.

So yeah I'm pretty sure it won't be 30 hours long but I also don't think it'll be the kind of thing you beat in an hour and throw away. We just don't know at this point and people throwing around numbers disparagingly are just spreading more misinformation.

Sanke__

This is really starting to backfire on them.

So 40$ for something that will probably end up in TPP's package?

Yeah but the phantom pain wont be out for at least another year after this (at this point my money is on like spetember or october 2015) and by then this would only be $5-10 anyway

They get additional micro transaction options ? The way Konami are going it wouldn't surprise me if they chuck in micro transactions as well.

I'll be paying £9 or £15 for the digital. £40 for the retail.

I think I'm good.

Sharing your account with a friend and splitting the cost? Yup, that's the right way to video game.

It feels like the correct cost of the game, so we'll be happy if it ends up being a couple of hours long.

UberTag

If I can't get the entirety of Ground Zeroes without buying it on multiple platforms from multiple retailers and in multiple formats... well, you know what, I'd rather just not buy it at all.
Especially for what amounts to another GT5 Prologue.

Batzi

Banned
There's only the one location and very little story to get through.

One location correct. Very little story to get through, says who? Did Kojima say that? Did I miss something? Why are we assuming that the prologue story is going to be 15 mins? Because Kojima compared it to a movie's prologue? Are you guys kidding me? It was an example. The average movie length is barely 2 hours. Does that mean every game will have 2 hours of gameplay? And btw, a 2 hours movie manages to tell a full story. Imagine what Kojima can do with those 2 hours.

People for some reason don't quite understand what a prologue means. I wonder if their reactions would be different had he used the term "prequel" instead. Ground Zeroes is a prequel to The Phantom Pain. There! is that better now?

Regarding Ground Zeroes

Pretty much sounds like it's the one base area. The fact that he points out "night" and "day" missions as being different as well as the "explore everything" spiel just drives home the high likelihood that this shit is just a glorified demo. And that folks is a fucking sham.

majorscud

I'm not spending $40 on a glorified demo. I'll probably wait for it to hit the bargain bin, or at least until a sale puts it at the pricing of previous gen consoles.

Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare is charging $10 more ($40) for next gen over PC and 360, and it looks to have obnoxious micro transactions too.

I'm sorry, but I have trouble believing development on next gen is really that much more expensive than developing for PC which requires the developer to consider lots of hardware variations.

Batzi

Banned
I'm sorry, but I have trouble believing development on next gen is really that much more expensive than developing for PC which requires the developer to consider lots of hardware variations.

GTAV, a last gen game, costs $266M to make. Kojima Productions spent at least 4 years developing the FOX Engine and count the development time for MGSV (GZ+TPP) and the scale of the game that Kojima is aiming for and you should be getting a number close to that.

Top Bottom