• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhythm Heaven for DS!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It's not like she recorded tracks for the game or anything, she just did a commerical spot.

cw_sasuke said:
This game will get a big marketing push it seems....is it the right person ?

http://kotaku.com/5173698/beyonce-shills-for-rhythm-heaven-loves-guitar-hero
Gah, Kotaku. Why not link to the original article?
Beyonce talks 'Rhythm Heaven,' 'Guitar Hero,' and more: An exclusive Q&A about music and videogames
Mar 18, 2009, 07:35 AM | by Simon Vozick-Levinson

beyoncegames_l.jpg

Beyonce is already famous around the world as a singer-actress, but maybe it's time to add another word to her hyphenated title: gamer. I caught up with Beyonce recently on the set of a TV ad she was taping for the new Nintendo DSi game Rhythm Heaven (in stores April 5) and heard all about her favorite videogames. Read on for our exclusive Q&A.

EW: You just shot a TV ad for Rhythm Heaven, in which players tap a screen with a stylus in time with music. Have you been having fun?
BEYONCE: I have been having a great time. I've been rehearsing for my [upcoming] tour in stilettos and uncomfortable corsets, learning all these arrangements. Today I was playing the game with my socks on, on the couch, and it was very relaxing!

What are some of your other favorite videogames?
I like all the Wii games. Love Guitar Hero. This reminds me a little bit of a portable Guitar Hero, which is great, because I don't want to carry around a big guitar! Growing up, I liked Tetris. I even like BrickBreaker on the BlackBerry.

Are you better at Guitar Hero or actual guitar?
Guitar Hero! At one point I was learning to play guitar, maybe 10 years ago. I wrote "Dangerously in Love" on the guitar. I'm very upset with myself for stopping.

Would you ever consider creating your own Beyonce version of Guitar Hero or Rock Band, like other artists have?
Definitely. I would love to imagine people playing to my songs. I've actually played some karaoke games with the old Destiny's Child songs. It's so funny, because I don't get great scores. I'm like, "How is that possible?!" [Laughs]

What was the first game system you had when you were growing up?
A Nintendo. I would play Super Mario Bros. We weren't supposed to play it after 9 o'clock, and I would sneak and play all night. I loved it.

When do you do most of your gaming?
I am very busy, but I always have time sitting around sets and on tour buses and planes. Usually I use that time to do approvals and other things, but sometimes it’s necessary to take your mind away from all of that. So I make time.

Does this release have any of the original Tengoku GBA game? I have that on import cartrige but it would nice to be able to have them all in English menus and such.

starmud

she signed a green dsi, i wonder who its for...

the promo seems like a great way of selling the game here, but watching her abuse the screen ruffled my inner nerd, they should have told her to tap the screen, not HIT it @___@

Pyrokai

I'm pretty sure Beyonce is dangerous with a DS. In that video of her, the force she used to tap the screen with the stylus was PAINFUL to watch. That poor, poor DS....

pakkit

Banned
I'm trying to find some way to lead Beyonce's hard-touching with the stylus into sexual innuendo involving my penis, but I can't find a way to write it without either being too wordy, or suggesting that my penis is the size of a stylus (it's at least twice that in girth). Some help?

My work so far: I do suggest that Beyonce could furiously tap and grab hold of my long, not-stylus resembling erection in a similar fashion that she did with aforementioned stylus. However, I'm no misogynist, and I find her singing to be top-quality, it's just that her facial structure and pronounced curves stimulate my eyes in a sensual manner that I felt the urge to elaborate on. Also, to maintain within the parameters of this discussion thread, I am compelled to point out that I eagerly anticipate Rhythm Heaven.

Being a GAFfer is hard.

Mik2121

Man, I wish I knew where the hell I put my copy of Rhythm Heaven (japanese version). I lost it about 3 months ago.. and I think I just forgot it back in Spain when I went there for holidays (thanks god I forgot it.. at my house, so whenever I go back I might be able to find it..)

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
I'll be looking for scratches and dents in the commercial. Beyonce and her nephew DESTROYED that DSi.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Welp, the game is already leaked. I guess that's what they get for giving it out for free and way early in advance.

pakkit said:
I'm trying to find some way to lead Beyonce's hard-touching with the stylus into sexual innuendo involving my penis, but I can't find a way to write it without either being too wordy, or suggesting that my penis is the size of a stylus (it's at least twice that in girth). Some help?

My work so far: I do suggest that Beyonce could furiously tap and grab hold of my long, not-stylus resembling erection in a similar fashion that she did with aforementioned stylus. However, I'm no misogynist, and I find her singing to be top-quality, it's just that her facial structure and pronounced curves stimulate my eyes in a sensual manner that I felt the urge to elaborate on. Also, to maintain within the parameters of this discussion thread, I am compelled to point out that I eagerly anticipate Rhythm Heaven.

Being a GAFfer is hard.

:lol Deserves more credit. Well played, sir.

Diortem7

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Really enjoying this game so far, but FUCK the 2nd minigame (the chorus line). I must have tried it 15-20 times, without success. Very nearly caused me to shelve the game permanently. I learned that you can skip it if you talk to the Barista, and I've been through another ~10 minigames without any issues...

Hiltz

I admit, I suck at music rhythm games.

Despite that, I can't help but adore Rhythm Heaven's demo.

I'm still stuck on finishing Glee Club but the concept is so ridiculously awesome. I love that satisfying feeling you get when your timing is spot-on.

My brother heard the screams that the characters make and said "WTF are you playing? I couldn't help but smile and said "Rhythm Heaven, baby!" :D

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
GDJustin said:
Really enjoying this game so far, but FUCK the 2nd minigame (the chorus line). I must have tried it 15-20 times, without success. Very nearly caused me to shelve the game permanently. I learned that you can skip it if you talk to the Barista, and I've been through another ~10 minigames without any issues...

Count the beats.
It's not the game's fault you suck.

BluWacky

sprsk said:
Count the beats.
It's not the game's fault you suck.

Is there any level you'd call legitimately hard in the game? The only one I think is full-on difficult in Rhythm Tengoku Gold (don't know if it's in Rhythm Heaven but I assume so) is the one with the band where you have to play the final riff in all the different styles of music, because it's hard to guess which time signature they think the riff should be done in.

There's certainly nothing in any of them to match, say, the Slipknot level in Amplitude, which just makes no sense.

eznark

Banned
I played the Japanese version last year for a bit and that second thing (the goofy looking singing kids) was impossible for me to get perfect as well. I'm generally proficient at rhythm games so I'm hoping the limited English instructions will help me out a bit.

0OoO0

This game pisses me off so much. I just don't have any rhythm! I can't even beat the first stage and I've tried so many times :(

can't get a decent score at the third level in the demo with singing guys, It s soo hard!!
The other two guys were ">_>" most of the time :lol

Ikael

I cannot believe that you are having difficulties with the "3 tenors" part, it is one of my favourites and inmensely easy to grasp. I had a way harder time eith the spaceship one (you just have to figure out a huge part of the song by yourself). Oh, and the framer one. There were some geniuinely frustrant moments with the game, even if the good outshines the bad by a huge margin.

eznark

Banned
You can also load up your favorite web browser, go to your favorite importers web site, and buy the Japanese game.

Or you could just assume everyone is a pirate.

Ikael said:
I had a way harder time eith the spaceship one (you just have to figure out a huge part of the song by yourself).
whaat? the spaceship where you shoot asteroids? you just have to copy the pattern (rhythm) in which they appear and repeat it.

bryehn

eznark said:
You can also load up your favorite web browser, go to your favorite importers web site, and buy the Japanese game.

Or you could just assume everyone is a pirate.

I was actually curious. I didn't get to go to GDC this year so I missed out on the free copy and the demo wasn't up in Canada last time I checked.

gkryhewy

FYI, Amazon has a new deal where if you preorder Rhythm Heaven and a DSi at the same time, you get $10 off (so essentially RH for $15.96). Code HEAVEN10 at checkout.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
TimeKillr said:
The japanese original is MUCH, MUCH better. The singer in that version has absolutely NO emotion to her singing.. It's horrible. Ugh. :(

Uh I dunno about that, but it suffers from what a lot of translated music does which is trying to sing a completely different song in a totally different language while keeping the same rhythm and beat.

Which is to say, 9 times out of 10 its going to sound a little awkward.

TimeKillr

sprsk said:
Uh I dunno about that, but it suffers from what a lot of translated music does which is trying to sing a completely different song in a totally different language while keeping the same rhythm and beat.

Which is to say, 9 times out of 10 its going to sound a little awkward.

I fully understand the localization challenge and keeping the same beat and rhythm but at the same time you can have a little enthusiasm in your voice, you know? You're singing a song. She sounds like someone who's completely jaded about the entire song.

What are the monkeys chanting instead of kamo ne? I couldn't make it out (but it DID sound like the old kamo ne, which would be kinda weird...)

I played too much Tengoku Gold...

Top Bottom