• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhythm Heaven Megamix |OT| ft. 100+ Minigames, Story Mode, and more!

Once the game opens up later on it's pretty great, this is definitely my favorite in the series. As people mentioned, a pretty slow start.

Also for the first time I'm actually trying to do Perfect challenges because there's a real incentive for doing it. These are stressful.

Dr. Buni

This game is gigantic. I just checked the wiki page and the game actually opens up once you reach the tower, so many musics/games to play still.

By the way, at which point in the game does the challenge train become available solo?

Kinsei

Banned
This game is gigantic. I just checked the wiki page and the game actually opens up once you reach the tower, so many musics/games to play still.

By the way, at which point in the game does the challenge train become available solo?

Once you reach the tower.

Once the game opens up later on it's pretty great, this is definitely my favorite in the series. As people mentioned, a pretty slow start.

Also for the first time I'm actually trying to do Perfect challenges because there's a real incentive for doing it. These are stressful.

Just to be clear, there isn't anything to unlock by getting 100 on all of the songs? Having to do that would drive me fucking nuts, so I hope not.

pHand

Just to be clear, there isn't anything to unlock by getting 100 on all of the songs? Having to do that would drive me fucking nuts, so I hope not.

Correct, I believe someone on YouTube did it and confirmed that you don't receive anything for getting 100 on every song. There are badges for getting Perfect on all rhythm games, but nothing related to getting a 100 score.

Unlocked Love Rap, my favorite minigame, being able to play it in both Japanese and English is so awesome.

Edit: Yo, getting mascots changes the loading icon? Awesome!

Dr. Buni

I did NOT expect to tear up with this game's ending
and then laugh at Tibby falling from the skies again.

blamite

I really wish there was an easier way to buy the rest of the bonus games than doing challenge trains over and over again... There's still a whole bunch of games to unlock but grinding dozens and dozens of flow balls for them just isn't appealing to me at all right now.

Murugo

As great as this entry is I'm still sad they left out
Love Lab, DJ School, and Bon Odori, even though the characters make cameo appearances in certain places
. Now that the game is releasing internationally I wonder how likely DLC minigames are in the future.

Dinjoralo

Man, this is fun. I kinda miss doing the touch screen flicking on the DS, though, that felt really tactile and fun.

Also, OH MY GOD THAT GOAT IS ADORABLE.

I feel comparing the difficulty of the rhythm heaven series to EBA is weird. I've only found a select few mini games hard in the whole rh series but I have a great sense of rhythm (grew up in family of musicians and perform a lot) where as EBA is almost more reflex based since you have to quickly react and chase the points around the screen. You can also fail a lot easier in EBA since getting off the beat in that game on the higher difficulties is basically suicide where as in RH most games if you botch its easy to readjust and finish strong.

IMACOMPUTA

I absolutely love these games, but I sold my 3DSXL a while back. My only Nintendo system is a Wii-U.

I'm thinking about buying a 3ds to play this...
Is the 2ds complete crap? I haven't paid attention to 3ds in a while.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Damn Flock Step, can never get that jump right and then I get smacked when recovering---that and Power Calligraphy are difficult as fuck, the latter I can do the ' part as I've found hitting the button when the charge noise ends works, but the large stroke I can't nail.

Dr. Buni

I really wish there was an easier way to buy the rest of the bonus games than doing challenge trains over and over again... There's still a whole bunch of games to unlock but grinding dozens and dozens of flow balls for them just isn't appealing to me at all right now.
Just started playing the challenge train and I have to agree. Such a grind...
I absolutely love these games, but I sold my 3DSXL a while back. My only Nintendo system is a Wii-U.

2DS is the best system in the family as far as comfort is concerned. It just lacks the 3D feature, obviously. I have a regular XL, but I plan to buy a 2DS at some point.

Dinjoralo

Sorry guys, I have claimed the goat.

Oh yeah, and rhythm games are fun. Though I don't get why there are some games that let you use the D-pad for pressing stuff, and most only let you use A.

tesqui

After playing demo, I've realized these games probably aren't for me. I was barely able to pass the mini games they showed off. I can't imagine how hard it gets.

Hugstable

Banned
Flock Step, Super Samurai Slice and Spaceball were all really super fun back to back games. Charging Chicken normal had me on edge, got so close on the last one and didn't have more coins to use (I've been spending them too much on music tracks)

Dr. Buni

Yeah, I'll probably struggle regardless. I don't seem to have much rhythm if this game is any indication haha.
Fair enough. No game is for everyone, right? :D But if it means anyfin, when I started playing rhythm games my sense of rhythm was terrible and it has improved a lot with time!

tesqui

Fair enough. No game is for everyone, right? :D But if it means anyfin, when I started playing rhythm games my sense of rhythm was terrible and it has improved a lot with time!

Yeah, I was thinking if I messed with it enough I could get better. I love the whole presentation of the game, so that alone would keep me going.

pHand

I feel comparing the difficulty of the rhythm heaven series to EBA is weird. I've only found a select few mini games hard in the whole rh series but I have a great sense of rhythm (grew up in family of musicians and perform a lot) where as EBA is almost more reflex based since you have to quickly react and chase the points around the screen. You can also fail a lot easier in EBA since getting off the beat in that game on the higher difficulties is basically suicide where as in RH most games if you botch its easy to readjust and finish strong.

I got S ranks on all of the songs in Ouendan 2, in invisible mode. But Perfect Campaigns in Rhythm Heaven are the bane of my existence. And don't get me started on Challenge Trains.

For me, the difference is that EBA is more about the melody, and everyone knows how to hum along to tunes, whereas rhythm can be a more difficult concept to grasp for people who aren't musically inclined (such as myself). EBA is also far more forgiving with its grading system and has a more gradual learning curve since it has difficulty levels, which RH doesn't.

All that said, I don't think the perceived difficulty of RH should deter anyone from playing and enjoying the series. Tsunku has stated numerous times that the reason he makes the games is to help people improve their sense of rhythm. I'll never forget the time he forced the entire development team of the GBA game take dance lessons: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/brij/staff/index.html

Kinsei

Banned
I've hit my first wall, the challenge course called Extreme Sports. I've managed to make it to the second to last game in it but it goes so fast and you're only allowed to make two mistakes. I'm sure I'll get it eventually though!

Dr. Buni

Strangely enough I never had a problem with Air Rally, and of course, I love it.
Rhythm Heaven Fever was the first RH I played and iirc Air Rally is the first game that forces you to rely completely on sound cues. It took me a while to adapt.

I eventually purchased the DS game and found it much harder, damn you forced stylus controls!

Hylian7

I kind of want to do a Matthewmatosis style review of this game and the series in general. The only issue being no way for me to capture 3DS footage. Emulator works for GBA and DS, and I have an Elgato.

Anyway, I had been thinking about this: Nintendo actually made the right decision with how they handled this localization, even though it seems half-assed and released without any marketing. If you look at the localization staff in the credits, this game was localized by 6 people. The series has historically had low sales in North America. They even marketed the DS game fairly well toward a wider audience, having a commercial with Beyonce in it. It still didn't move copies. Generating interest in this series has proven to be a difficult task for Nintendo. More buzz about the game spreads via word of mouth and the internet (like GAF).

Localizing these games isn't exactly an easy task either. Rather than a direct translation, for any voiced audio, syllables have to match the Japanese version. This can lead to some awkward translations, but often they have been handled pretty gracefully. An example of this is Cheer Readers, where one of the phrases in the Japanese version (hyphenated for syllables) is "Let's-u-ev-ery-bo-dy-go". This is understandable in English, but wouldn't be pronounced this way, nor make much sense, so it became "Let's-go-read-a-bunch-a-books". An entire endless game, Manzai, was cut from the English version of Rhythm Heaven Fever for this reason. On top of that, songs with lyrics have to be translated to fit syllables, and you have to get a singer to perform it on par with the Japanese version. In the DS games, they had an issue with getting a decent performance on some of the songs, and most of the players liked the Japanese audio better. The NA version of the DS game didn't have dual audio, so players were stuck with the English audio. In Fever, NoA still committed budget, and had much better vocals overall. However the game!e still did not sell.

This brings us to where we are now, with Megamix. It feels like NoA only brought the game over because of it's small but vocal fanbase. It's clear the localization budget was much lower this time, just look at Lush Remix to see evidence of that. Vocals from previous games were used where applicable, meaning the same dubs from the DS game were used for Fan Club amd the Dazzles. For voice cues, new voices were recorded, and aren't exactly great delivery, but get the job done (I'm looking at you Space Dance). Most of the fans of these games had their minds made up already: they like the Japanese lyrics and cues better. None of the games had dual audio until now. NoA seems to get that only a minority wants this game, and likely would have imported the Japanese version if the 3DS wasn't region locked. So Nintendo kept that audience in mind with the dual audio and minimal localization effort. No matter how well an English version of Lush Remix would have turned out, fans would still rather have the Japanese version. I like to call this approach to localization the "Tokyo Mirage Sessions approach". That game is keeping all the Japanese voices and singing, all with English subtitles, menus, etc. It makes sense given the audience of the game generally has no problem with Japanese lyrics or Japanese speaking characters in a game that is about Tokyo. Rhythm Heaven is the same situation, English is the default, but most of the fans will switch to Japanese audio.

While I wish we had a retail release, I'm glad we got the game at all, as I would guess there was a slim chance of it coming to NA in the first place.

bobawesome

The demo was great but the Steam sale is coming up and I need to save money...

ounym.gif

If you are going to buy again go with the New 3DS. Is not just about the 3D alone, the New variety features more RAM and faster CPU's that make the systme more versatile and the experience overall better. The Miiverse works perfectly, you can watch 3D videos on Youtube, buy SNES games on the eShop if you are into that. Some games have extra graphical features or better performance also.

There's more control options with the added ZL/ZR and the C stick which is good enough for basic camera control. This makes it compatible with every game that used the Circle Pad Pro add on.

If you buy a New 3DS standard size you can customize the exterior appearance of the system to your liking even.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
the Glee Club stage is frustrating omg

I'd suggest switching to touch controls in the cafe for that stage. Almost every single minigame translated really well to buttons, except that one.
It doesn't have the flicks from the DS, but lifting the stylus is a lot easier for me than releasing the button for whatever reason.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Unlocked that quiz show game.

.......thank goodness the same final answer is the same each time (for the most part) & you can just YouTube it.

Q: Does the English version really feature dual audio?
A: All Western versions have dual audio. This is a first for the American release, but bear in mind that some English songs were changed to instrumental arrangements, despite being voiced in Japanese.
I'm not sure what this means. Can somebody please clarify?

No rush, I've got until October!?!?

Top Bottom