• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhythm Heaven Megamix |OT| ft. 100+ Minigames, Story Mode, and more!

Well, technically,
it's an unlockable in the shop

Also, looking at the unlockable mini-games.....

GBA = 3
DS = 3
Wii = 12

Damn, they really wanted to cram in most of the Fever mini-games, didn't they.

At risk of debate, I have to guess that is the case because not only do Fever games look the best, they are arguably the best on average; for me, Fever's mediocre levels are fewer and far between than its predecessors (though I think Rhythm Heaven is the only one with serious problems).

Also, I'm really, really disappointed that the ping pong stage is back. Not every stage from RH isn't back, and frankly, that means that they left out a better stage than the ping pong one.

Robin64

Find this so hard to get Perfect. I'm usually really good at other rhythm games, but this one is super extra picky with timing.

Kinsei

Banned
Find this so hard to get Perfect. I'm usually really good at other rhythm games, but this one is super extra picky with timing.

Perfects or getting a score of 100? I don;t think the latter does anything so you don't have to worry about it.

Dr. Buni

Probably not, Rhythm Paradise is really difficult for me and I perfected all EBA levels. The difficulty level kind of hurts my joy with the game, yet I buy them again and again lol.
Rhythm Heaven is indeed more difficult than Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents, but I don't see what this have do with the user probably not liking the game.

Berordn

Also, I'm really, really disappointed that the ping pong stage is back. Not every stage from RH isn't back, and frankly, that means that they left out a better stage than the ping pong one.

Honestly I'm more bummed about Dog Ninja returning than Rhythm Rally. DS had so many good games that it feels weird that they'd include a weird one-shot like that over something like Moai Do-Wop (which would be the shit with button controls).

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly I'm more bummed about Dog Ninja returning than Rhythm Rally. DS had so many good games that it feels weird that they'd include a weird one-shot like that over something like Moai Do-Wop (which would be the shit with button controls).

You leave Dog Ninja alone. That shit is my jam.

I'm enjoying getting the chance to play some of the GBA games that I missed out on. It means this game is actually like 50% new content for me.

monkey watch is my worst nightmare

I never had any problem with it. My personal nemesis was and still is Air Rally (but I love it).

Y'all are crazy. Those are two of my all time favorites. I can go back and nail them every time.

Boney

Banned
Same. Dog Ninja is awesome. Ghost Guitar to me is the most questionable DS choice when you got stuff like Drum Duel you could add.
Yeah ghost guitar is the shittiest game of all the series, but whatever, I can deal with it. I got fan club back

Javier

After finishing Story Mode I'll say my favorite game is LumBEARJack. Great music and fun game, despite being incredibly simple. Got 97 on first try.

joedick

The trailer said this is the first Rhythm Heaven with 4 player multi. I thought Fever supported 4P, I was thinking of picking it up as a party game. Is that not the case?

Berordn

The trailer said this is the first Rhythm Heaven with 4 player multi. I thought Fever supported 4P, I was thinking of picking it up as a party game. Is that not the case?

Fever only goes up to 2 players, and only for a very small subset of games. It's a great game but it's not a party game.

Pandy

Did anyone post the EU info earlier in the thread? It isn't in the OP yet.
From Nintendo UK Twitter:
Nintendo UK ✔ @NintendoUK
Rhythm Paradise Megamix comes to stores and Nintendo #eShop for #3DS on 21/10. #NintendoE3

Physical, baby!

meppi

Did anyone post the EU info earlier in the thread? It isn't in the OP yet.
From Nintendo UK Twitter:

Physical, baby!

So damn late, but fuck yeah on physical!

MbFXxzU.gif

i liked the DS and Wii versions and really liked the 3DS demo. And i think it's worth the 30 US price... in physical form.

Nintendo should learn to use their own online store for games that they consider to have a limited appeal. i have sincere interest in this game and Fatal Frame but it has to be a physical copy at the suggested price.

Can someone tell me how the 4 multiplayer works? Simulatneous or taking turns?

maxcriden

It starts out much easier than those games.

Megamix is geared toward newcomers in many ways. Easy and short games in the early portion, the new grading system is more transparent, unlockables now don't all require getting Perfects... etc.

Oh yeah, the grading curve is much more fair. If you have any rhythm, you should OK everything. I gotten Gold on stuff I missed some beats which rarely happened in the older games.

Thanks all! Much appreciated. I have zero rhythm so I will hope for getting OKs with less hair-tearing effort than in the DS game.

Simultaneous. Everyone plays a game at the same time and they're scored at the end.
Althought simple, it could be interesting. People that have some trouble maintaining Rythm can be thrown off by the rivals talking. Most be a really fun social game to play.

Download play of course i guess?

Berordn

Althought simple, it could be interesting. People that have some trouble maintaining Rythm can be thrown off by the rivals talking. Most be a really fun social game to play.

Download play of course i guess?

It supports it, but I have no idea if it works for the whole of challenge train.

nukedeggs

I just powered through and beat the first Remix and I gotta say

Coin Toss I was totally fine with, but that fookin duck car game killed me. I tried so many times and even failed on the Saffron version that the gatekeepers took pity on me and let me through. The shame.

That said this is a blast so far, I was disappointed at first because the songs seemed a lot shorter but then after I cleared a few it got longer so I'm satisfied.

Also I hope Cheer Readers is back in!

Hylian7

This was probably already posted, but this was pretty hilarious (and a GAF shoutout). I missed this on Wednesday at least, as I wasn't watching during the RHM stream.

https://youtu.be/FkrhQiB6sbA?t=737

"So, are you ready? NeoGAF listen up, check this out, I'm being told that we are launching Rhythm Heaven Megamix right now."

Loving the game so far. The bottom screen definitely helps with improving timing.
Yes, indeed.

Does it pops when you make lots of mistakes or just in practice mode, i can't remember.

Also what people prefer touch tap or button? i ask because i really miss the drag and tap of the DS entry.

The 3D effect was usefull for the games involving hitting rapid objects like the baseball and ping pong ones.

Hylian7

Yes, indeed.

Does it pops when you make lots of mistakes or just in practice mode, i can't remember.

Also what people prefer touch tap or button? i ask because i really miss the drag and tap of the DS entry.

Button, by far. The flick motion worked for some games, but for others was just more tedious. Rhythm Rally was particularly frustrating with it.

Also I'm glad the games I hated aren't here. I'm looking at you Moai Doo Wop, Love Lizards, and Shrimp Shuffle.

Nachos

Been super busy, but I'm going to sit down and get the OT fixed up in about an hour.

Anything to add beyond the EU release info and control scheme correction?

Dr. Buni

Yes, indeed.

The 3D effect was usefull for the games involving hitting rapid objects like the baseball and ping pong ones.
It pops if you mess up the timing frequently.

So far I am liking most games, except Clappy Trio (poor man's Glee Club), Airboarder and the second gate mini-game was kinda bland. From the new games, Tongue Lashing is the best so far.

Berordn

It pops if you mess up the timing frequently.

So far I am liking most games, except Clappy Trio (poor man's Glee Club), Airboarder and the second gate mini-game was kinda bland. From the new games, Tongue Lashing is the best so far.

Don't be hating on Clappy Trio just yet. It's a returning GBA game but the first take on it is very much a beginner entry.

Hugstable

Banned
Only played DS Rhythm Heaven and didn't get far at all (not much a fan stylus controls for Rhythm games outside of maybe Ouendan!), but I've completely fallen in love with this game. Even with it having a majority of games from previous versions, it's pretty much all new to me and I can't get enough. In Songbird Land and seems like I only have 1 or 2 Lands left. I see that there os a challenge mode though and extra minigames in the shop, so that should keep me coming back

Don't be hating on Clappy Trio just yet. It's a returning GBA game but the first take on it is very much a beginner entry.

Clappy Trio and Choir Boys are the only levels I can't get Superb score and gold stars on! They're driving me craaaazy

Dr. Buni

I know, but I didn't like it on the GBA either. x) Still, can't complain as some of my favorites are back (Air Rally <3). Hopefully Ringside is present, too.

Kinsei

Banned
The challenge train is so much fun. I really hope it becomes a series staple.

The goat is a total asshole once it reaches level 20. Stop moving dang it!

Shiggy

Rhythm Heaven is indeed more difficult than Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents, but I don't see what this have do with the user probably not liking the game.

Oh, was thinking of it more as in "you probably won't like it based on that you like EBA".

Zeeman

I loooved EBA, hated Rhythm Heaven DS and loved Rhythm Heaven Fever. Rhythm Heaven is definitely harder than EBA, and the mechanics really aren't similar. Give the demo a try, it'll give you a good sense of how the game works (but it gets much much harder)

I think the bottom screen really helps you actually improve your sense of rhythm. I've been terrible at Dog Ninja for years and now I know it's because I was too early.

blamite

Uggggghhh, Space dance is just the worst. Way too unpredictable and the controls are such a pain. Seeing a second version of it appear just now was totally disheartening.

pHand

The challenge train is so much fun. I really hope it becomes a series staple.

I love the idea of the challenge train in theory, and its similarity to a certain other series from the same developer isn't lost on me. But I've never been a fan of endurance challenges, and I hate that a single game that you're bad at can prevent you from moving on. It just seems like a waste for them to make the most noob friendly game in the series, only to lock the best content behind very difficult challenges. Even the easy ones aren't very forgiving.

is there even a game coming after this, especially with Tsunku's condition?

Tsunku's still producing, even after the operation. Don't think he'll be singing anytime soon, but he's only actually sung one track for the series.

Worst case scenario, he could always pass the role on to someone else, or Nintendo could just decide to continue without him as they own everything Rhythm Heaven but the music Tsunku composed (but I can't see that happening out of respect to him). But the series is still doing well in Japan so I'd be very surprised if it doesn't continue (its fate in the west is less certain lol).

I haven't gotten that far yet, how did they translate that one?
"And pose" "Let's sit down" "Pu-pu-pu-punch"

It's pretty easy.

Speaking of which, is anyone else finding this game super easy to get perfects/superbs in? I think it might just be because I've played most of these before, but I only didn't superb like four games on my first try and I'm almost done. Skill stars are really difficult tho.

Top Bottom