• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhythm Heaven Megamix |OT| ft. 100+ Minigames, Story Mode, and more!

I'm glad hard coin flip doesn't actually require all 15 catches to be perfect since that would be damn near impossible, 15 catches in the games fairly lenient zone is pretty easy if you just tap the beat out since it always falls on the 3 of the second measure.

blamite

Aww man, I'm starting to get really bummed about all the songs that had that were instrumentalized instead of being given English lyrics... They could have been super good, too, even if the DS game's songs were a little iffy, the ones in the Wii game were GREAT and these songs totally deserve English versions of that caliber. What a disappointment! (the game is still awesome though.)

And I'll ask again for the new page, is the Wii Night Walk anywhere in here?

rpmurphy

For people who played the JP release, does it go back to the traditional grid menu system or am I stuck with having to move back and forth between dioramas to select a game?
There's a grid form selection in the museum, which is also where you'll go to play the unlockable rhythm games.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I don't think I can beat the coin game---I'm just not good at rhythm games it seems, tried for like an hour and spent tons of coins. Sad that my progress I guess is at an end already, thought I'd be able to pass by a decent amount before hitting a wall.

I don't think I can beat the coin game---I'm just not good at rhythm games it seems, tried for like an hour and spent tons of coins. Sad that my progress I guess is at an end already, thought I'd be able to pass by a decent amount before hitting a wall.

Since you can start each flip when you want to try using a stop watch (damn near every phone has one built in). You could also try downloading or using any number of app or internet metronomes and set the tempo during the free flip when the timer is still there.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
...they let me through the gate. :X

Fuck, I feel horrible now. I just don't have any rhythm, though I do okay at the normal games. I really don't *get* how to time the A press with the music.

...they let me through the gate. :X

Fuck, I feel horrible now. I just don't have any rhythm, though I do okay at the normal games. I really don't *get* how to time the A press with the music.

Every song in rhythm heaven and most music you hear is written in what is called 4/4 time. This means there are 4 beats per measure and a quarter note gets the beat. In layman's terms you can break up most songs in Rhythm heaven into a count of 1-2-3-4. Here's a good game from the wii version that is easy to figure out the counting on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k1XSC1xjA8

Basically you want to count 1-2-3-4 1-2-3-4 each time the thing bounces or the player shoots it into the rolling cogs. Try listening to the first section of this song and tapping your hand each time it bounces to the rhythm while counting the 1-2-3-4 patter out till you can feel that pulse in your body. Once you feel comfortable try having one hand tap the beat while the other presses a like you were actually playing it while still counting out that 1-2-3-4 patter. Finally once you feel comfortable at that tempo try at the faster and slower speeds. The song does a good job of transitioning you to each new tempo (how fast or slow each measure or 1-2-3-4 count goes) and once you feel comfortable try and listen for how the tempo change happens so that you can keep the tapping and counting going regardless of speed.

The coin flipping game as an example always has you catch the coin on the second 3 in the pattern (1-2-3-4 1-2-catch/3-4) so once you get comfortable tapping the beat and counting the rhythm the game becomes really easy. Megamix is nice in that on the bottom screen it shows if your press is slightly before on after the beat but the game still gives you credit as long as your in the ball park of the correct beat (in coin flips case the second 3 beat).

Hopefully this helps you a bit I used the same game for an irl friend who struggled like you and he's a lot better at RH now. The game does eventually throw in off beat button presses like in shoot em up but for now just trying to get the feel of the main beats will help a lot.

I can confirm you get orbs from completing multiplayer challenges.

I don't really understand the point of the multiplayer though. we were both just playing the levels at the same time. I guess that's about all it could be, though.

Berordn

I don't really understand the point of the multiplayer though. we were both just playing the levels at the same time. I guess that's about all it could be, though.

Even when Fever had multiplayer featuring separate characters for both players, that's all it really was.

The Europe news is bumming out so much. Rhythm Heaven is my favourite series ever, I don't think I can wait 4 months. :(

I guess I could replay the series for now.

pHand

Every song in rhythm heaven and most music you hear is written in what is called 4/4 time. This means there are 4 beats per measure and a quarter note gets the beat. In layman's terms you can break up most songs in Rhythm heaven into a count of 1-2-3-4. Here's a good game from the wii version that is easy to figure out the counting on

If you fail the tutorials enough, there's actually a visual representation of this on the bottom screen. It was particularly helpful for the "bosses" of Super Samurai Slice, which for the life of me I couldn't figure out.

And you just reminded me that non 4/4 time signatures are exceedingly rare in the series. The only ones that come immediately to mind are the witch waltz from the first game, and whatever the hell Donk Donk was from the Wii game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If you fail the tutorials enough, there's actually a visual representation of this on the bottom screen. It was particularly helpful for the "bosses" of Super Samurai Slice, which for the life of me I couldn't figure out.
I discovered this as well (same issue, had trouble figuring out the timing of the bigger enemies), which was SERIOUSLY helpful. Might actually help me figure out the more annoying ones like Love Rap or that ghost guitar one from DS.

Hmm, I THINK I figured out the Chicken Charge one, first two times I was short one beat, then 3rd was too long by a beat. Need to count to 16, then release on 17.

Dr. Buni

Mosdef.

And I don't know if it's been posted yet, but here's an awesome fan-made Rhythm Heaven anime intro that uses it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XbGoF3EmZA
Yes, you may cower in fear before your monkey overlords now. Although, mercifully, the Moai statues are nowhere in sight.
Good to know, it is one of my favorite games :D

And that is a pretty well made opening, a RH anime could be fun. Somefin silly like Azumanga Daioh, I bet.

rpmurphy

It's just a competitive mode. The meat of the post-game content and difficulty is in the challenge trains.

Vibed

How many vocal songs got changed into instrumental versions? For those, I can just swap over to japanese, right?

And you just reminded me that non 4/4 time signatures are exceedingly rare in the series. The only ones that come immediately to mind are the witch waltz from the first game, and whatever the hell Donk Donk was from the Wii game.

Donk Donk is still in 4/4, the thing is the part that trips everyone up (deet deet dah deet deet dah) is a triple IIRC which I think outside of Donk Donk the game/series never throws at you

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I haven't come across monkey watch yet but I hope it's a late game surprise.
Well, technically,
it's an unlockable in the shop

Also, looking at the unlockable mini-games.....

GBA = 3
DS = 3
Wii = 12

Damn, they really wanted to cram in most of the Fever mini-games, didn't they.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member

Seeing as the Fever games don't have re-drawn artwork, but the DS and GBA ones do, I guess they figured they might as well put in as many as they could.

I'm really enjoying this, but the new games are all so good that I'm disappointed it wasn't all new. I'm cracking up during LumBearJack and Blue Bear in particular. Blue Bear music is perfect.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So how many new games don't involve bears or fruit?
Super Samurai Slash? Tongue Lashing? First Contact? Sumo Stomp?

Speaking of Sumo Stomp, holy crap, this might be one of my favorite games, I couldn't help but laugh halfway through.

Edit: omg this damn intro for the first remix, let me skip it

Whoever decided what Rhythm Heaven needed was unskippable dialogue before each song and to make each song shorter on average so you spend more time in dialogue and less time in music should be fired.

Whoever decided what Rhythm Heaven needed was unskippable dialogue before each song and to make each song shorter on average so you spend more time in dialogue and less time in music should be fired.
I think the early songs are shorter so you have less time to mess up. After the third or fourth world they're all normal length.

A few other posters gave you some good advice but I would like to add.

Count out loud (for this, I count 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and etc...) When you catch the coin, don't stop counting. As someone mentioned, you'll catch on beat 3. Finish the count (4 and) then start again on beat 1. This will keep you in time for the whole round. Also, it might help to tap beneath the A button for every beat.

Counting out loud is extremely helpful. Our fingers/hands/arms/limbs can and will speed up, but if you are counting out loud, it makes it much easier to not lose the rhythm.

Well, technically,
it's an unlockable in the shop

Also, looking at the unlockable mini-games.....

GBA = 3
DS = 3
Wii = 12

I think that's probably due to the 3DS game apparently using the same engine as the Wii game, and therefore they'd be the easiest to port.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Is Monkey Watch in this game? Also, forever the best remix.

Every generic song intro reminds me of Monkey Watch and I immediately have a panic attack. I introduced all my friends to this game and all of them had issues with that song. It's a battle between MK8 and Rhythm Haven Fever every time people are over.

Top Bottom