• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rifftrax [OT] Some Movies Have it Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enk

makes good threads.
Are these guys still riffing on the low-hanging fruit of movies that were designed to be riffed on, like Sharknado?

They're still doing a lot legitimately bad movies (see the previous five or so posts before this one). Sharknado was a rare intentionally bad film they riffed mainly for their live theatre shows.

I can't get that repeating guitar soundtrack out of my head...

It's been over a week for me and it's still ingrained in my brain along with its... its voice.

Welcome to RPTSD (Rollergator post traumatic stress disorder).

Slingshot save us!

B.K.

There's another new Bridget and Mary Jo short out. I'll be glad when Mike, Kevin, and Bill are done with the live shows. It's really hurting their output. They haven't done a new short in a few months. I don't want shorts from Bridget and Mary Jo. I want Mike, Kevin, and Bill. They're the main draw.

Enk

makes good threads.
Thought Miami Connection was one of their best live shows! The whole audience was really getting into it, even
offbeat
clapping along to the music. Even the short they did was one of funniest they've done.

Friends through eternity,
Loyalty, honesty,
We'll stay together,
Through thick or thin.

Friends forever,
We'll be together,
We're on top,
Cause we play to win!

ElTopo

Banned
Thought Miami Connection was one of their best live shows! The whole audience was really getting into it, even
offbeat
clapping along to the music. Even the short they did was one of funniest they've done.

Friends through eternity,
Loyalty, honesty,
We'll stay together,
Through thick or thin.

Friends forever,
We'll be together,
We're on top,
Cause we play to win!

Good to hear. Wasn't able to see it at the theater and I'm waiting for the VOD to come out. Miami Connection is slightly overrated as a so bad it's good film, but it has quite a few moments of insane wtf-ery.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I place Measuring Man in the pantheon of bizarre shorts characters. Alongside Mr. B, Coily, Norman (ugggggggh), Candy Lion, and that Supermarket Witch.

TOUGH GUY!

Enk

makes good threads.
Measuring Man so easily sets itself up with all kinds of creepy jokes. Definitely in the top tier of shorts they have done.

On a related note, I got into a Rifftrax mood last night and also watched their newest riff, Death Promise. It makes a great companion piece to Miami Connection in so many ways. It could easily be the Miami Connection of the 70s.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
thewizard_posterb8lu8q.jpg

It's up! Downloading now.

Enk

makes good threads.
On my way out to Nashville to see Rifftrax Live live tomorrow! If you see some shaven headed, beardy guy in the audience sitting next to a red head on the big screen that's probably me!

Joe Molotov

Bought a few Rifftrax during the Black Friday sale.

A Day of Thanksgiving - Alternate Title: FREEDOM ISN'T FREE, YOU RED COMMIE BASTARDS! This short never says "communism", but it's definitely about communism. Or at least about "some places" where "political gangsters" will break down your door and drag you away for "loving freedom." *cough*ussr*cough*

Total Riff-Off Episode 6: Brazilian Bigfoot - Not as good as the Demon Bat or the Mekong Flesh Eater, but the payoff is even more dubious. Whereas the first two at least had a logical explanation that was uncovered after minutes days of grueling research, the Brazilian Bigfoot was like "iunno, maybe it's this other extinct animal that we have no proof exists". Richard Terry, you've done it again!

Death Promise - This was hilarious. The riffing was decent, but the movie was so stupid that the jokes write themselves. This is Guy From Harlem level filmmaking, with an even worse story and less likeable characters. And much worse theme music, unfortunately.

Enk

makes good threads.
Bought a few Rifftrax during the Black Friday sale.

A Day of Thanksgiving - Alternate Title: FREEDOM ISN'T FREE, YOU RED COMMIE BASTARDS! This short never says "communism", but it's definitely ab
out communism. Or at least about "some places" where "political gangsters" will break down your door and drag you away for "loving freedom." *cough*ussr*cough*

Total Riff-Off Episode 6: Brazilian Bigfoot - Not as good as the Demon Bat or the Mekong Flesh Eater, but the payoff is even more dubious. Whereas the first two at least had a logical explanation that was uncovered after minutes days of grueling research, the Brazilian Bigfoot was like "iunno, maybe it's this other extinct animal that we have no proof exists". Richard Terry, you've done it again!

Death Promise - This was hilarious. The riffing was decent, but the movie was so stupid that the jokes write themselves. This is Guy From Harlem level filmmaking, with an even worse story and less likeable characters. And much worse theme music, unfortunately.

You should check out the other thanksgiving short they released, Dining Together. I found the riff on that the funnier of the two, but I still got lots of laughs from the "politcal gangster" aspect of the other.

Also Death Promise was a lot of fun. As I stated earlier in the thread it would make a great double feature riff with Miami Connection. I still need to check out the other Richard Terry riff offs.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Theater I'm going to tomorrow has assigned seating. Checked the website today there have been a grand total of 5 tickets sold for the theater.

It is on the outskirts of Denver though, and there are plenty of theaters in the city showing it.

Enk

makes good threads.
ADB42435-A644-4112-9114-02BEA102F624_zpscur2prji.jpg

The real Ice Cream Bunny has made his presence and has been confronted with an imposter!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Amusing show. The Jack and the Beanstalk story was much better, and more riffable.

Everyone in my theater groaned when the Giant started singing for the third time.

Enk

makes good threads.
Loved the show! My favorite live riff of the four this year and even better than the original version! Jack and the Beanstalk, while still a terribly made short, was a far better production than Thumblelina, which to me felt like a Manos for children. The whole musical nature of it played well to the riffs. I also loved how all the previous shorts played very well into the main feature itself.

It was kind of surreal to see it performed all live after watching being streamed after all these years. We were sitting between a guy who runs MST3K streams on Second Life and a couple dressed up as Tom and Huck from the movie (even had a raccoon doll with them), and just a couple of rows behind the legendary Ice Cream Bunny! They still showed the movie trivia slides before the show and the footage of the line during the credits after.

There was a moment when Kevin quietly took out a bucket and began to poor water into it while holding his mic close where I was thinking "Oh god, the one live show I go to and my favorite riffer is going to accidentally electrocute himself to death"! Thankfully that was not the case. There isn't much extra to see from the live show compared to the theater streams. No after show signings and what not. Before they let everyone in, Kevin and Mike (no Bill strangely) ran through the line and shook everyone's hands, which is what you see during the end credits, and they handed out little squeezy Ice Cream Bunny figures when we walked in.

I did find it strange that the elephant in the room (MST3K reboot) was never once mentioned or alluded to. Oh well. Still a great experience.

B.K.

I wish the app would let you play shorts and movies from your library, instead of just playing the stand alone audio tracks. I haven't found a good web browser for my tablet yet. It would have been nice to have an app so I wouldn't have to worry about browser crashes every five minutes.

Enk

makes good threads.
This years Holiday movie....

http://www.rifftrax.com/i-believe-in-santa-claus

I Believe in Santa Claus. It's a French film.

Well that was a weirdly random movie. A case where the movie is funnier than the riff itself, but there were still a bunch of great jokes
"Th-they're dead?! They're both dead"
! My jaw was agape when Santa's
journey into Africa took a dark turn, while at the same time the kids were about to be eaten by a giant French cannibal
. I was also expecting
the whole thing to be the kid's dream, but no, they really did hop onto a plane to Finland

RetroMG

If you subscribe to their e-mail list, check your inbox. They sent out a free $10 code for Christmas

Oh man, that's awesome. Now do I use it to pick up whatever shorts I don't own, or to get that new Christmas movie? Decisions, decisions.

EDIT: Got a bunch of the Mary and Bridget shorts, since they're a nice change of pace.

EDIT2: I didn't add the gift card! I though the site would do it automatically! LOL well, I guess I can buy a few more now.

Trying to decide between Birdemic or Star Wars Christmas Special or Phantom Menace.

I think those are the three I've narrowed down to spend my Xmas credit on.

Has anyone had success using Youtube to sync just the jokes audio to less common/available movies like Birdemic or are you better off buying the Stream opt?

I'm bad at decision making, I'm having trouble picking riffs to buy with the credit.

Also, did just the jokes riffs go up in price? I haven't bought one in ages, I thought they used to be $2.99 or am I mistaken?

ElTopo

Banned
I'm bad at decision making, I'm having trouble picking riffs to buy with the credit.

Also, did just the jokes riffs go up in price? I haven't bought one in ages, I thought they used to be $2.99 or am I mistaken?

Rifftrax is very hit and miss for me but these are the absolute best Riffs:

Bloody Pit of Horror
Cool as Ice
Super Mario Bros
Ghost House
Rifftrax Live: Manos (natch)
Rifftrax Live: Xmas Shorts

Just the jokes:

Twilight 1
Batman and Robin
Batman Forever

Enk

makes good threads.
Ended up getting No Retreat, No Surrender with the $10 coupon. Haven't had a chance to watch it yet because of stupid Comcast data caps.

Rifftrax is the Humble weekly bundle this week!

$12 is more than worth it for Manos and SMB alone. (Even for just $1, the Nat Geo "Demon Bat" special is great fun.)

That's a really great deal and some of their best riffs are on there! Completely worth it for Birdemic, Manos, Demon Bat, and Measuring Man! I have yet to see the Super Mario Bros riff yet so I'll be grabbing it for that and the live shows I don't own yet.

B.K.

I've got some leftover Humble Bundle codes, if anyone wants them. Quote me for the codes and redeem them at rifftrax.com/humble

Batman Takes Over Episode 1

Measuring Man

Rifftrax Live: Manos - The Hands of Fate

Birdemic

Super Mario Bros.

Are videos from Rifftrax downloading really slowly for anyone else? I've got a 15mb connection and I usually download stuff around 1.7mb/s everywhere else, but at Rifftrax, stuff downloads only around 500-700kb/s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom