• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider Gameplay (Gamescom 2015)

Harlequin

I never understand this complaints.

Is she suppose to open a tomb every 5 minutes for the game to be called Tomb Raider? There is a story and a bunch of gameplay to be had before the reveal of the Tomb and its contents.

He puts it better than i did

It's not about whether she's actually in a tomb, it's about the gameplay that TR fans tend to associate with tombs and other ancient interiors: challenging platforming, puzzle-solving and exploration. Also about the atmosphere and mood: mysterious, quiet, solitary, adventurous... This had none of that.

Ledhead

Definitely getting a Rambo vibe hahaha. Game looks good, but it's not looking so good that I will mind the one year wait for PS4

Because it is the game reveal, they don't need to show you everything and it was in the bloody trailer.
Showing one tomb and a puzzle isn't showing everything. Unless there is literally only five minutes worth of tomb raiding in the game. What are you even arguing? Short glimpses as opposed to a gameplay segment.

SerTapTap

Christ, they really took the violence and ran with it. Nathan Drake would blush. I laughed when they threw up a grid of tomb pictures to be like "hey guys there's tombs as well"

Glad to see the faux outrage over the direction of the new Tomb Raider is alive and well.

Literally impossible for people to have enjoyed the original games or legitimately dislike the new ones

RefigeKru

Banned
I swear the noise cue for completing that molotov was near exactly the same as from Last of Us.

But being serious, I enjoyed the first Tomb Raider on Xbox but this doesn't really get me going.

Fbh

I never understand this complaints.

Is she suppose to open a tomb every 5 minutes for the game to be called Tomb Raider? There is a story and a bunch of gameplay to be had before the reveal of the Tomb and its contents.

He puts it better than i did

I'm not a super fan of the franchise but the whole demo just seemed weird
The video looked like every stealth game ever. Bushes to sneak around, insta kills from the back, some sort of poison, aereal takedown that for some reason is super silent, marking enemies and taking them out at the same time, throwing bottles to distract enemies, etc. It's the type of gameplay you see in almost every modern game with stealth mechanics.
They should have focused on what sets the franchise apart, they should have shown more exploring and platforming and puzzle solving and mix it up with some action.

Take Lara away from the short trailer at the end and you are left thinking "Looks Tomb Raider"
Take Lara away from that gameplay demo and you are left thinking "Is this a new Assassins Creed?"

SerTapTap

I said this in the live thread but it probably got lost. Enemies look borderline deaf and blind. And as someone else said, the level design could be a bit more natural and less "gamey". Still not entirely sold on this. Need to wait to see how much of the game is stealth-shooter-lite and how much of it is survival and tombs.

Proper stealth kind of requires enemies be inhumanly stupid. Actually sneaking up on people is way too difficult to be fun in a game environment.

Tripolygon

Banned
It's not about whether she's actually in a tomb, it's about the gameplay that TR fans tend to associate with tombs and other ancient interiors: challenging platforming, puzzle-solving and exploration. Also about the atmosphere and mood: mysterious, quiet, solitary, adventurous... This had none of that.
The game has changed, there is already a whole game to tell these people that the Tomb Raider of PS1 is no more, they need to get over it.

Garlador

As good as the game looks, and it DOES look good, you pretty much nailed it.

That sense of awe and isolation as you walked into a giant puzzle tomb, a playground of platforming, puzzle-solving, and atmosphere. They challenged your mind far more than your trigger finger.

I do legitimately miss that and the last game barely scratched that itch.

Proper stealth kind of requires enemies be inhumanly stupid. Actually sneaking up on people is way too difficult to be fun in a game environment.

People still complain that the impossibly unfun and unfair AI seen in very early Last of Us demos didn't make it into the game. People don't know any better.

KingBroly

Banned
A lot of the Tombs they showed looked like the same ones over and over but from different angles and during different times of day to me. I hope I'm wrong. Plus, the idea that they have to actually promote Tombs as a selling point is sad as hell.

Harlequin

The game has changed, there is already a whole game to tell these people that the Tomb Raider of PS1 is no more, they need to get over it.

Maybe. But it's hard to let go of something you love. (Although, to be fair, the Tomb Raider of PS1 days has been lost ever since the franchise got taken away from Core.)

Journey

Banned
In terms of TFLOPs, yes, PS4 is only around 40% more powerful, however, in terms of pixel fillrate PS4 is nearly twoce as powerful.

25.6 Billion pixels/sec vs 13.6 Billion pixels/sec
(32 ROPS x 800 MHz) vs 16 ROPs x 853 MHz)

Which is why the PS4 has an easier time handling games at 1080p, I believe that's where fillrate is important, the reflection of that being games running 900p vs 1080p, the higher resolution also requiring the difference in computation power, which pretty much boils down to the difference between the two consoles. What the PS4 does at 1080p, be it as amazing looking as TW3 or Batman: AK, the XB1 handles it pretty much the same at 900p. There will never be a game that looks twice as good on PS4 vs XB1, we can't even say something looks 30-40% better because it has 30-40% more pixels; you just can't ignore all of the brilliant lighting and other engine effects that form the full make-up of a game, or also ignore the rest of the puzzle like the CPU which is a bottleneck for both.

RedSwirl

I'm sorry, and I know this is just what they have to show on a press conference stage, but that looks like it could be basically any other blockbuster action game.

Ninjimbo

I said this in the live thread but it probably got lost. Enemies look borderline deaf and blind. And as someone else said, the level design could be a bit more natural and less "gamey". Still not entirely sold on this. Need to wait to see how much of the game is stealth-shooter-lite and how much of it is survival and tombs.
Expect more stealth shooter. Honestly, the people expecting a bigger focus on tombs are probably going to be disappointed. There will probably be more tombs but I'm not expecting it to be the main focus. The focus is going to be on combat, set-pieces, and atmosphere like the last game and that is fine by me.

The combat is looking ace. Lara transitions from water, to ground, to air, it looked so smooth. That's what I liked about the previous game. I'll take more gamey environments personally. Designing stuff to look natural is a gateway to designing boring. I would gladly take both of course, but if I have to take one, give me the one that sparks my imagination and let's me be creative.

Ushay

The rings look pretty good. Love this kind of thing. I winder what they've done with the narrative this time.

ghibli99

Glad they're not showing too much of the tombs, since discovering those and solving them is a lot of fun. I'd rather see environments, animation, performance, etc. vs. seeing someone play/solve a tomb. I think the game's going to be fantastic, but maybe that's just me; I'd rather be an optimist who is wrong than a pessimist who is right.

gamerMan

Wow. The stealth combat reminds me a lot of Last Of Us but much deeper. It looks much more fluid than the Uncharted games. I love the tactical aspect of it which allows for a bit of exploration. Lara can scale trees and other objects to get a better vantage point. If they nail the exploration in the Tombs this could be amazing. Super excited for this because it is going to feel completely different from the last game unlike most sequels.

RefigeKru

Banned
I'm sorry, and I know this is just what they have to show on a press conference stage, but that looks like it could be basically any other blockbuster action game.

You're not wrong.

Skulking through a darkened enemy base, stealth takedowns and shotgun flurries. Occasional parkour moves and untold dead.

It's easy to see why people hark on about the Tomb Raiding aspect. Much of what was shown in the last two clips of this game you'll find readily available somewhere else.

Christ, they really took the violence and ran with it. Nathan Drake would blush. I laughed when they threw up a grid of tomb pictures to be like "hey guys there's tombs as well."

Exploding heads!

Nice Lara, I think you beat Nathan in the race towards ultra-violence.

I'm expecting her to be the drinking blood of the final boss.

x-Lundz-x

Where is this faux outrage? Do you have anyone to call out?

Not hard to figure it out.

Lara the mass murderer lololol. Comments come in waves whenever the game is shown. It's jsut getting old.

It's just nice to know a lot more people like the new Tomb Raider then people stuck in the 90's thinking games need to be the exact same 20 years later.

Akainu

meh. So that guy heard the can being throw but not the guys screaming from arrows to the back of the head?

They should make a ninja game or something.

Ralemont

not me
Awesome. The Flying Knife Kills will be a nice supplement to my bow massacres.

Wow. The stealth combat reminds me a lot of Last Of Us but much deeper. It looks much more fluid than the Uncharted games. I love the tactical aspect of it which allows for a bit of exploration. Lara can scale trees and other objects to get a better vantage point. If they nail the exploration in the Tombs this could be amazing. Super excited for this because it is going to feel completely different from the last game unlike most sequels.

I agree. I was a big fan of the gameplay in TR2013 and this looks like an evolved version of both that and the Last of Us. Excited.

Tripolygon

Banned
Millions of fans bought Resident Evil 6 too.

That doesn't mean millions of people were a-okay with it.
Millions of people were ok with it, it reviewed well with both critics and user score. I have come to realize that outrage on forums does not correlate with actual regular consumer opinion, especially when it comes to gaming.

Million of consumers who enjoyed it>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>your outrage.
What is that supposed to mean? I was jokingly responding to someone calling my criticism of this game fake.
Well apologies then. Most criticism of this game are nonsensical.

Garlador

Millions of people were ok with it, it reviewed well with both critics and user score. I have come to realize that outrage on forums does not correlate with actual regular consumer opinion, especially when it comes to gaming.

I'm one of those people that loved it and bought it and then bought it again on PS4.

... But that doesn't mean I didn't have criticism of certain parts or some decisions. You can love a game and not love every decision made regarding it.

I loved it... and STILL think there were too few tombs and too much bang-bang shooting.

Maedhros

Looks like any other crap generic third person shooter, with cover and stealth.

I was expecting more tomb raiding. Well... I'll probably get this on Steam someday, just to have an option to Uncharted.

Lara the mass murderer lololol. Comments come in waves whenever the game is shown. It's jsut getting old.

It's just nice to know a lot more people like the new Tomb Raider then people stuck in the 90's thinking games need to be the exact same 20 years later.

It's their opinion. Not sure why you're being so obnoxious about it. Having a game that involves exploration and puzzle-solving doesn't mean that people are stuck in the 90s. I don't think the game looks terrible, but it isn't like this style of gameplay is anything new or inventive either.

Drayco21

Interesting Rise of the Tomb Rambo is pulling on Last of Us mechanics, but not surprised considering how much the last one was trying to be Uncharted.

I just wish they were making it Tomb Raider.

ps3ud0

Such a shame the Tomb Raider IP has gone in this direction, I really thought after what CD said about larger puzzles/tombs we would see more of it but what we saw today was just more of the same from the last game.

Take Lara out of the game and its pretty generic (its like high street does Naughty Dog), the game as its presented is fine - just expect more from the TR IP because it was far more special in its original form. Got time til launch to showcase what made Tomb Raider, Tomb Raider so theres some hope!

ps3ud0 8)

You have your opinion and I have mine. Like that is what's happening, not "faux outrage".
Also I didn't know games needed third person shooting or to be exactly the same as old games.

Demoskinos

I just want a super cut of Lara stabbing dudes in the dick while Rihannas "Bitch Better Have My Money" blares in the background.

RefigeKru

Banned
I'm one of those people that loved it and bought it and then bought it again on PS4.

... But that doesn't mean I didn't have criticism of certain parts or some decisions. You can love a game and not love every decision made regarding it.

I loved it... and STILL think there were too few tombs and too much bang-bang shooting.

Gangnam style is the best song ever.

Billions of views >>>>>>>>>>>>> Your favourite song.

dex3108

f7Oiq6O.gif

HardRojo

Damn my comment wasn't posted because my phone decided to act up the moment I pressed post.
Basically I think CD hasn't learned a thing from the previous game and are making the same mistakes. I wish they made the RPG mechanics (upgrading) a lot more worthwhile. Less is more approach should be important there, it's useless having several "skills" when in actuality few of them matter.

Not sure how having more exploration and less straight-up killing is having a mindset stuck in the 90s? Nathan kills too but Lara seems to be heading toward ultra-violence with some minor exploration.

The skills and abilities are tied to XP from killing enemies so it encourages the player to kill everything in sight.

Top Bottom