• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider Gameplay (Gamescom 2015)

Ok, I was really put off by this demo, this looks like a really solid video game, but this hardly resembles tomb raider anymore, the brutality in the first game was fine because it was a mirror of that setting and its inhabitants, but lara stealthing around a camp and committing the last of us style finishers is not tomb raider, im fine with the third person shooting, but this is too much. I'm still excited for this and I'm going to play it this november, but I really hope those tombs are more than just the one room excursions they were in 2013. Hopefully stuff like this isn't a huge aspect of the game.

pastrami

Not hard to figure it out.

Lara the mass murderer lololol. Comments come in waves whenever the game is shown. It's jsut getting old.

It's just nice to know a lot more people like the new Tomb Raider then people stuck in the 90's thinking games need to be the exact same 20 years later.

If you want to call people out, call people out. This whole talking about other people without talking to them thing just adds nothing to the conversation.

Anyways, looks like more Tomb Raider. Which means that I probably won't enjoy it much, even if I think it has some solid ideas.

jbttwin

f7Oiq6O.gif

Omg

Haven't watched the demo yet, but holy fuck. Just...what? Lmao

ASIS

I wasn't crazy about TR 2013 but for some reason I really liked the trailer... It's getting harder and harder to resist an X1 right now.

Good job MS!

geordiemp

Enjoyed the last tomb raider.

This looks more of the same with TLOU crafting shoved in....No harm in borrowing good ideas...they all do it.

Even the power ups looked same as last game. I am OK with that

Ok, I was really put off by this demo, this looks like a really solid video game, but this hardly resembles tomb raider anymore, the brutality in the first game was fine because it was a mirror of that setting and its inhabitants, but lara stealthing around a camp and committing the last of us style finishers is not tomb raider, im fine with the third person shooting, but this is too much. I'm still excited for this and I'm going to play it this november, but I really hope those tombs are more than just the one room excursions they were in 2013. Hopefully stuff like this isn't a huge aspect of the game.

The first game I can kinda understand it was about survival and desperation. ROTR seems like she REALLY enjoys killing those guys.

hawk2025

I'm past the whole "it's not Tomb Raider" thing (unlike what some people said here, for me it's not about returning to the super-early Tomb Raider games, but even the Anniversary/Underworld years, which were a great balance of fun exploration and more linear progression), which I'm guessing is not coming back.

This looks fun, if somewhat unremarkable in the current gaming scenario. I'll happily give it a shot.

Not hard to figure it out.

Lara the mass murderer lololol. Comments come in waves whenever the game is shown. It's jsut getting old.

It's just nice to know a lot more people like the new Tomb Raider then people stuck in the 90's thinking games need to be the exact same 20 years later.

It is hard to figure out, actually. You called people out.

Own up to it.

I realize it's opinion just like I have mine, it's just old seeing the same tired mass murder comments in my eyes I guess.

The new Tomb Raider is a TPS, and a lot of people love it. I guess the few that don't is fine they just usually shit up any thread about it. I guess kinda like what I am doing now with my annoyance so I should stop and just talk about the footage.

The only thing that looked bad to me was the AI for sure. Hopefully that can be worked on before release.
If you realize it's their opinion, it is not faux-outrage. Moving the goalposts to "but the MAJORITY loves this, who cares" is hardly a smooth transition, by the way.

x-Lundz-x

It's their opinion. Not sure why you're being so obnoxious about it. Having a game that involves exploration and puzzle-solving doesn't mean that people are stuck in the 90s. I don't think the game looks terrible, but it isn't like this style of gameplay is anything new or inventive either.

I realize it's opinion just like I have mine, it's just old seeing the same tired mass murder comments in my eyes I guess.

The new Tomb Raider is a TPS, and a lot of people love it. I guess the few that don't is fine they just usually shit up any thread about it. I guess kinda like what I am doing now with my annoyance so I should stop and just talk about the footage.

The only thing that looked bad to me was the AI for sure. Hopefully that can be worked on before release.

I realize I must have struck a nerve with you but I'm not going to sit here and have a back and forth about it. My post was hardly that serious. Move along please.

Ralemont

not me
The first game I can kinda understand it was about survival and desperation. ROTR seems like she REALLY enjoys killing those guys.

Good. The most interesting part of Tomb Raider 2013 was Lara progressively becoming more aggressive. Like calling out that she was "going to kill all you bastards" and that they should "run because I'm coming for you!"

Then they did the Martin Sheen Apocalypse Now blood scene and I was like, holy shit, Lara is losing her mind.

They backed off it a bit at the end, which I think is a mistake.

Just a mish mash of every successful AAA game they could find.

Collectibles everywhere? Check
Weapon and equipment upgrades? Check
Skill tree? Check
Optional Stealth? Check
Brutal takedowns? Check
Scripted events where main character falls every 10 seconds only to grab something? Motherfucking CHECK!

There is nothing original left in this series. Its like someone looked at the highest selling games of a year and tried to copy what they thought people liked in them. I dont think I have ever seen a game more soulless.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Throwing around bottles to distract enemies from their routines, sneaking around with a bow and arrow, gameplay that encourages you to use stealth takedowns, definitely not The Last of Us.
Fucking certain vocal section of Naughty Dog fans that assume Naughty Dog invented everything. There, better? The Last of Us invented none of this, nor is it the only modern game to use these gameplay elements. In fact with the exception of object throwing for distractions the last Tomb Raider game did all of this.

And now for my opinion of the gameplay. It's not what I want. Quality exploration, platforming and puzzle solving is nowhere in sight. It's clearly an action game and the focus is on the combat. Even the look guys the game has tombs segment at the end sbowed nothing of value. All I saw from those tombs was linearity and not anything interesting. I don't need tombs in my Tomb Raider game. I need compelling exploration focused gameplay. Look at levels like Venice and Opera House from TR2. No tombs there. It's the gameplay and level design that made those levels so compelling. Just saying hey look tombs is not reassuring. Don't just give me tombs to raid for tbe sake of it. Give me compelling Tomb Raiding gameplay whether that takes place in a tomb or not.

But I do think for what it is the game will be good just like the reboot was. It's just not the Tomb Raider game I want.

Anarion07

Just a mish mash of every successful AAA game they could find.

Collectibles everywhere? Check
Weapon and equipment upgrades? Check
Skill tree? Check
Optional Stealth? Check
Brutal takedowns? Check
Scripted events where main character falls every 10 seconds only to grab something? Motherfucking CHECK!

There is nothing original left in this series. Its like someone looked at the highest selling games of a year and tried to copy what they thought people liked in them. I dont think I have ever seen a game more soulless.

You're a little late, all those points were in TR2013 too

ironcreed

Banned
It looks like what I loved about the previous game on a much larger scale and with more tomb raiding. In short, it looks amazing.

I enjoyed the first one, though there are times it got silly, and the overblown death scenes. This looks more of the same developed gameplay which is good for what it was. But I feel it isn't really Tomb Raider... its more a new third person action adventure IP with a female protagonist with developing aggressive tendencies.

I think it wouldn't get half the shit it does if it didn't ride the Tomb Raider name (but would it sell half as well?), and this reboot franchise kinda deviates too far from the original games in the gameplay style to use it.

We haven't seen any freakin' Tombs gameplay yet and proper puzzles, why can't they give a brief demo preview of one of those (they're supposed to be structured or complex in the new game, so say the devs, so a small part would be good to show and alleviate some concerns, rather than focus on killing soldiers). The most we get is a little montage glimpse, I'm hoping they're decent and I can feel like I'm playing a bit of old school tomb raiding. hopefully some new tomb footage comes before release.

That was pretty bad.

I liked the previous one so I'm still looking forward to playing it. But it's weird that the area they decided to show was the one that looks like every other stealth game ever. Give her a hood and it could have been Assassins Creed

I hate to say this, because I adored the last one...but the more I see of this game, the less I'm excited for it.

I'm still expecting to enjoy it and will definitely be picking it up...but when it was announced I had something else in mind.

I think it was partially that initial cinematic trailer. It was stylized in such a way that made me expect this game to be dripping in style and a step past the last one.

Anyway, like I said, expecting to enjoy it, but no longer expecting to have my jaw dropped.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Fucking Naughty Dog fans. The Last of Us invented none of this, nor is it the only modern game to use these gameplay elements. In fact with the exception of object throwing for distractions the last Tomb Raider game did all of this.

And now for my opinion of the gameplay. It's not what I want. Quality exploration, platforming and puzzle solving is nowhere in sight. It's clearly an action game and the focus is on the combat. Even the look guys the game has tombs segment at the end sbowed nothing of value. All I saw from those tombs was linearity and not anything interesting. I don't need tombs in my Tomb Raider game. I need compelling exploration focused gameplay. Look at levels like Venice and Opera House from TR2. No tombs there. It's the gameplay and level design that made those levels so compelling. Just saying hey look tombs is not reassuring. Don't just give me tombs to raid for tbe sake of it. Give me compelling Tomb Raiding gameplay whether that takes place in a tomb or not.

But I do think for what it is the game will be good just like the reboot was. It's just not the Tomb Raider game I want.

Hey.....lol.

Edit: Not really, but it will probably save you from a ban.

Still finding it hard to suspend my disbelief that a 120lb woman can beat, stab, shoot and murder dozens (if not hundreds) of mostly men who are twice her size. It only works if you can believe that these hardcore professional security personnel had no training of any kind and then had frontal lobotomies before starting the job.

Stealth AI hasn't progressed since Metal Gear Solid. And I still want TR to be about exploration, adventure and puzzles. There is a whole and satisfying game that can be made out of those concepts. "Mass Murder Sim #47, Now With Tombs!" just doesn't light my fire.

Fucking Naughty Dog fans. The Last of Us invented none of this, nor is it the only modern game to use these gameplay elements. In fact with the exception of object throwing for distractions the last Tomb Raider game did all of this.

the one thing that remind me of TLoU is the quick real time crafting, not sure if previous TR had that though. and bottles having multifunction as distraction or melee finisher also remind me of TLoU.

honestly, the demo looks like what I imagine TLoU sequel would probably play like. not a bad thing of course gameplay wise, I love TLoU. just not sure the violent tone is what I expect from Tomb Raider. although the previous game are very violent as well.

tbd

Personally found 2013 extremely boring but yeah, this will probably be my Uncharted fix this generation on PC.

Omg

Haven't watched the demo yet, but holy fuck. Just...what? Lmao

What is so crazy about this gif? I think I'm not seeing it.

Gamescom footage looked so much better than the E3 demo. Still surprised that someone thought mountain climbing would be a good choice for E3.

jelly

The level design needs to be more organic and less map maker. I can imagine the dev selecting a box, placing it there, medium bush from Assassins Creed 3 there and there. It's too sign posted, low quality rather than a natural, somewhat logical environment.

I'm sure the game will be fun like the last one with new places and scenarios but it's very much a similar experience and design which is a bit underwhelming and if the last one is anything to go, a one play through roller coaster but I would like to enjoy multiple times.

No water ripples! Water tech is the best next gen eye candy.

Still finding it hard to suspend my disbelief that a 120lb woman can beat, stab, shoot and murder dozens (if not hundreds) of mostly men who are twice her size. It only works if you can believe that these hardcore professional security personnel had no training of any kind and then had frontal lobotomies before starting the job.

Lara Croft has not killed a single woman yet since the reboot. I wonder when that happens.

Ralemont

not me
In other words, it shows the badass she has grown into coming from the last game. I'm more than down with that.

Yeah, I'm down with predator gives-no-shits Lara. Also really hoping we get mud-camo like the last game, and a bonus mode where an actual Predator hunts us/is hunted by us.

dex3108

In other words, it shows the badass she has grown into coming from the last game. I'm more than down with that.

That is not Lara Croft. She was badass before this mass murder simulators. She was smart, agile, cool, with iconic pistols that she rarely used. You don;t need to make character ultra violent to be badass.

Throwing around bottles to distract enemies from their routines, sneaking around with a bow and arrow, gameplay that encourages you to use stealth takedowns, definitely not The Last of Us.
Yes, The Last of Us created all those mechanics. No other game in the history of video games featured mechanics like that.

Fractal

Banned
The game has changed, there is already a whole game to tell these people that the Tomb Raider of PS1 is no more, they need to get over it.
True... the Tomb Raider of old is dead and gone, the franchise was rebooted and as far as I know, the point of a reboot is to take a franchise into a new direction. If you don't like it, simply ignore it... the old formula based on puzzles and exploration isn't coming back.

Fbh

Yeap she is definitely enjoying killing those poor enemies

0yP1Vbc.gif

Well there is nothing wrong with her enjoying it or not feeling bad about it.
But I hope they reflect that sort of personality in the Cutscenes, or just don't make her even mentioned it.

The problem with the previous one wasn't violent Lara. It was that the Lara from the cutscenes and the Lara from gameplay acted like completely different people

sam777

These mechanics were in the TR 2013 game that came out before TLOU, so do some research before making bullshit statements.

Well there is nothing wrong with her enjoying it or not feeling bad about it.
But I hope they reflect that sort of personality in the Cutscenes, or just don't make her even mentioned it.

The problem with the previous one wasn't violent Lara. It was that the Lara from the cutscenes and the Lara from gameplay acted like completely different people
I bet it will be treated the same.

ironcreed

Banned
That is not Lara Croft. She was badass before this mass murder simulators. She was smart, agile, cool, with iconic pistols that she rarely used. You don;t need to make character ultra violent to be badass.

Well, many of us love this new Lara and the reboot of the series. It sure as hell plays better than the old games and this one is going to have a heavier emphasis on tombs as well, so it is all good for me.

Finn

I get the complaints, especially because my favorite thing about OG Tomb Raider was, y'know, raiding tombs, but I'm still eagerly anticipating ROTR.

Fletcher

Considering I never liked the OG tomb raiders much and love the Uncharted series, these games are right up my alley. Pretty excited for this game.

Top Bottom