• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider Gameplay (Gamescom 2015)

That is not Lara Croft. She was badass before this mass murder simulators. She was smart, agile, cool, with iconic pistols that she rarely used. You don;t need to make character ultra violent to be badass.
In what world is the gameplay shown "ultra violent"?

And the new Lara is not smart and agile? I'd call using her agility to flank enemies and using stealth to take them out quietly rather than backflipping while dual wielding pistols, pretty smart and agile

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Looks ok, I guess.

I'm tired of seeing of poor stealth mechanics in AAA games though. She's sneaking around and throwing bottles in plain sight of enemies 10 feet away, come on.

Ralemont

not me
That is not Lara Croft. She was badass before this mass murder simulators. She was smart, agile, cool, with iconic pistols that she rarely used.

Sounds exactly like new Lara.
bow or gtfo

Seriously though, this isn't ultra-violence, and this isn't the old Lara Croft.

Solid point raised above about gameplay/cutscene dissonance though.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
This looks like a true sequel to the reboot. So, I'm not sure why people are complaining about tone.

It's the shit framerate that should be raising concerns. Or was my twitch stream stuttering?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
You ruined your entire argument by starting this way.
It's copying Uncharted, it's copying TLOU is a very common thing I see all the time. There is this false perception that Naughty Dog invented everything. I see it all the time and it annoys me every single time. I think people should be capable of understanding that point even if you're a ND fan that does not have that mindset. I am one of them. I enjoyed TLOU as much as the next guy.

Fucking Naughty Dog fans. The Last of Us invented none of this, nor is it the only modern game to use these gameplay elements. In fact with the exception of object throwing for distractions the last Tomb Raider game did all of this.

People are going to give you shit for the bolded part but, I agree.

I agree that this looks more like Far Cry 3 than TLoU. Either way, this demo is even worse than the post-E3 one. Enemies are dumb and blind, and even after they spot Lara she has enough time to calmly dispatch two of them, just a few feet away from her, without firing a shot.

It's copying Uncharted, it's copying TLOU is a very common thing I see all the time. There is this false perception that Naughty Dog invented everything.

It's not a question of inventing, but it sure feels like CD plays the latest ND games while making a checklist of things they totally should put in their next game as well.

Elios83

Game looks pretty disappointing to me.
Yeah they changed the formula with the reboot and it's clear that real tombs and classic gameplay based on environmental puzzle solving is not coming back.
But while the 2013 reboot at least had a pretty interesting setting with the japanese island, here it looks like Lara is basically fighting soldiers in standard military camps and the likes.
Snowy settings (like those in the E3 demo) are also pretty boring to me (just like underwater sessions). Gameplay has nothing peculiar, it is just more of the same already seen in the previous title and in other games. Overall it simply seems a direct cross gen sequel to the 2013 reboot with a less interesting setting.

Finalow

they managed to show awful AI (unless they explain during the story that those enemies are actually blind or deaf, or both), how2be stealth by pressing 2 buttons and a generic camp full of generic enemies with a never seen before "flamethrower boss'' at the end.

looks great!

I was excited for Tomb Raider 2013 with it's initial reveal but then I hated almost all of the pre-release hype - "Lara Croft falls down a lot and kills dudes" was not a game I wanted to play, and it was all they showed.

But when I actually played the game, I really enjoyed it. It's still not what I want from Tomb Raider, but I enjoyed it from start to finish. Quality action game.

I was hoping that the sequel would be different. However all signs are pointing to more of "Lara Croft falling down a lot and killing guys" which is fine, but I'm still hoping that the game tries new things and it's just the marketing that's the same.

Once again I've went from being quite excited for Rise of the Tomb Raider to being really down on it. It feels like deja vu. Which is weird because I know I'm going to really enjoy Rise.

Tripolygon

Banned
Fucking Naughty Dog fans. The Last of Us invented none of this, nor is it the only modern game to use these gameplay elements. In fact with the exception of object throwing for distractions the last Tomb Raider game did all of this.
Well you are certainly that guy now.
People are going to give you shit for the bolded part but, I agree.
Saying blank developer or blank company copies blank developer/company is not exclusive to Naughty Dog fans. Every shooter is call of duty and every platformer is Mario, i've heard this even on Gaf, and bloodborne is not a new IP, it is dark souls 3.

Garlador

You know what this game needs?

Dinosaurs.
t-rex-tomb-raider.jpg

I seriously love fighting savage beasts (especially the large and reptilian kind) over savage men any day of the week.

Fractal

Banned
Well there is nothing wrong with her enjoying it or not feeling bad about it.
But I hope they reflect that sort of personality in the Cutscenes, or just don't make her even mentioned it.

The problem with the previous one wasn't violent Lara. It was that the Lara from the cutscenes and the Lara from gameplay acted like completely different people
Exactly, that was my biggest complaint from the previous game... I remember laughing at the scene where you run and gun through the shantytown, then end up in some chopper cutscene, and Lara starts whining about a dead pilot and some minor wound. Made the story a total joke.

But if they show Lara as a confident and a somewhat ruthless character this time around, it could work.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
This looks like a true sequel to the reboot.

Well some of us didn't like the reboot, at least the parts they are expanding on. I don't want to play Far Cry with my TR. I don't want to mass murder bad guys. I guess TR is just not the franchise I grew up with anymore, they are trying to take a little of each other popular franchise and slam Lara in it for the hot chick factor.

Rembrandt

Banned
i'm not buying her flying off that roof with knife in hand and not getting spotted by the dude right across from it, but it looks so damn good. i'm ready for it. i might need to finish my second playthough of the first.

At this point why call it Tomb Raider? :(
Few tombs, laughable platforming and no puzzle solving.
But you can do da stheltz, hide booby traps into dead bodies and more pickaxe in the face action!

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
At this point why call it Tomb Raider? :(
Few tombs, laughable platforming and no puzzle solving.
But you can do da stheltz, hide booby traps into dead bodies and more pickaxe in the face action!

Because it's a known franchise, that alone will sell a lot more copies than if they renamed it.

Fractal

Banned
Well some of us didn't like the reboot, at least the parts they are expanding on. I don't want to play Far Cry with my TR. I don't want to mass murder bad guys. I guess TR is just not the franchise I grew up with anymore, they are trying to take a little of each other popular franchise and slam Lara in it for the hot chick factor.
That means the franchise simply isn't for you anymore, so it's best to move on. I have my share of franchises where I also didn't like the reboots and new directions so I moved on and looked elsewhere. Disappointing as it may be for you, the old TR isn't coming back.

Ralemont

not me
I hope they add the ability to re-stealth after being spotted. Never being able to lose enemy aggro was pretty annoying.

Jawmuncher

You know what this game needs?

Dinosaurs.
t-rex-tomb-raider.jpg

I seriously love fighting savage beasts (especially the large and reptilian kind) over savage men any day of the week.

That really is what the game needs. All that violence but with dinosaurs would be crazy.

Yeap she is definitely enjoying killing those poor enemies

0yP1Vbc.gif

This gif remind me of that Splinter Cell gif with the text "stealth" the worse part is that there is another solider like 5 mts away of that and doesn't hear a body falling and taking out someone. Also I think the AI had issues with peripheral vision.

Man this video really turn me off from the game. Now maybe I will get it on PC on a steam sale or something next year.

Saying blank developer or blank company copies blank developer/company is not exclusive to Naughty Dog fans. Every shooter is call of duty and every platformer is Mario, i've heard this even on Gaf, and bloodborne is not a new IP, it is dark souls 3.

That wasn't his point though. It's the people acting like everything in TLoU has never been done before.

Anyway I don't know if I am "excited" for this. I got Tomb Raider 2013 and I did like it but, I am not sure I want to play this one immediately. Might wait a bit.

Also like people said "Where's da tombs?"

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Good. The most interesting part of Tomb Raider 2013 was Lara progressively becoming more aggressive. Like calling out that she was "going to kill all you bastards" and that they should "run because I'm coming for you!"

Then they did the Martin Sheen Apocalypse Now blood scene and I was like, holy shit, Lara is losing her mind.

They backed off it a bit at the end, which I think is a mistake.

I agree with this post. I mean

xvsaBg.gif

Sez

Problem being there's nothing to move on to, because the type of game TR used to be literally doesn't exist anymore in modern games.

I hope someday they make a spinoff where the focus is to explore tombs, adventure and platforming. Haha =(.

Tovarisc

I came into this thread for Tomb Raider and got some 3rd person covershooter where you slaughter brainless enemies in mass.

Nimby

Banned
That means the franchise simply isn't for you anymore, so it's best to move on. I have my share of franchises where I also didn't like the reboots and new directions so I moved on and looked elsewhere. Disappointing as it may be for you, the old TR isn't coming back.

Newsflash: Very few people want the grid back. The things people want from TR now are not necessarily tied down to old TR, heck they can be said about any game. TR was a game I'd expect to get lost in, with cleverly hidden secrets and memorable level design. What about that is archaic? Crystal can have their gritty third person shooter, but I don't see why that inhibits anything.

Of course I am being quick to judge, I wish we would have seen more traversal gameplay instead of stealth/action.

sublimit

Banned

And now for my opinion of the gameplay. It's not what I want. Quality exploration, platforming and puzzle solving is nowhere in sight. It's clearly an action game and the focus is on the combat. Even the look guys the game has tombs segment at the end sbowed nothing of value. All I saw from those tombs was linearity and not anything interesting. I don't need tombs in my Tomb Raider game. I need compelling exploration focused gameplay. Look at levels like Venice and Opera House from TR2. No tombs there. It's the gameplay and level design that made those levels so compelling. Just saying hey look tombs is not reassuring. Don't just give me tombs to raid for tbe sake of it. Give me compelling Tomb Raiding gameplay whether that takes place in a tomb or not.

But I do think for what it is the game will be good just like the reboot was. It's just not the Tomb Raider game I want.

You pretty much nailed it. Too bad that most people won't read past the first sentence of your post.
As annoying as this trailer was for its clear emphasis on all the wrong things i know that even if they had included more tombs that wouldn't have changed anything.We know that there are tombs in the game just like they were in the previous one.Maybe this time around they are bigger too.This is not the problem.
The problem is that the gameplay basis remains exactly the same as in the previous game.Same controls,same magnetic platforming,same XP system,same emphasis on shooting,same emphasis on narration and cinematics.The settings in Crystal Dynamics TR games are nothing more than beautiful vistas with no serious threats (other than enemies),no hidden deadly traps,no risk at platforming and exploring and therefore no real feeling of accomplishment from moving from one area to the next.You are just a tourist (guided by the game designers) to witness the next visual spectacle,the next emotional cutscene,the next shooting area and the next "tomb" to solve a puzzle that Lara would have given you its solution a million times by then through her constant talking to herself (and the player).
Everything they have showed so far points that this is nothing other than Tomb Raider reboot 2.0. It has nothing to do with the old Tomb Raider experience we fans knew and loved.

Bliman

Banned
What a beautiful game.
The difference in graphics in consoles seems closer then their specs suggest.
After a while you start to see the trend what developers use to wow the public. This time it is water and especially rain and mud (tomb raider , MGS , Uncharted,...).
Now for all those that are saying that it isn't tomb raider anymore, I think it stems from the extra power they now have.
In the time of the Playstation the restriction of the console meant that everything was more set in stone( :) ) and it made all areas more like tombs. Now they can open it much more.
Also the statements of dumbness of the enemies I don't understand. Isn't this game a bit like Uncharted a over the top Adventure Game. It's a bit like in movies where they shoot with a arsenal of weapons against the hero and they all miss off course.
At times it looks wonderful and I am looking forward to it.

Zophar

These mechanics were in the TR 2013 game that came out before TLOU, so do some research before making bullshit statements.

Saying a game features a near identical mixture of mechanics =/= saying a game invented those mechanics. What a ridiculous leap to stuff words in my mouth.

Folks are sensitive as hell in this thread, lordy.

If this is trying to depict a realistic scenario then it stands to reason that some of the men she's killing have played video games.

Yet when this random bottle smashes 10 feet away from them none of them think: "I'd better check behind me. I remember playing this scenario in loads of games and it always ends up with someone getting stabbed in the temple. Unload your guns into the bushes lads, there's a thin chick in there and she's trying to kill us all!"

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
the one thing that remind me of TLoU is the quick real time crafting, not sure if previous TR had that though. and bottles having multifunction as distraction or melee finisher also remind me of TLoU.

honestly, the demo looks like what I imagine TLoU sequel would probably play like. not a bad thing of course gameplay wise, I love TLoU. just not sure the violent tone is what I expect from Tomb Raider. although the previous game are very violent as well.
It looked just like the reboot to me just with a few more options and more stealth focus. But then I wouldn't be surprised if every part of that gameplay could have been handled with pure shooting like the reboot. I'm expecting it to be more of a choice thing. Either stealth it or just shoot everyone in the face with arrows like the reboot. Tbe game still has regenerating health, right?

I don't mind the violence. I was definitely one of the people askng for gory death animations to return after the lack of them in the Legend trilogy. But as for how Lara inflicts gore on enemies maybe it's a bit much I dunno. I don't love it but I'm not really bothered. To be honest I just wish there was less combat in general.

Tripolygon

Banned
What a beautiful game.
The difference in graphics in consoles seems closer then their specs suggest.
After a while you start to see the trend what developers use to wow the public. This time it is water and especially rain and mud (tomb raider , MGS , Uncharted,...).
The difference has always been exactly as the specs on paper suggest and no more closer than they were at the start of this gen. Whatever game runs at 900p on Xbox One will likely run at 1080p on PS4 with a few features turned higher or turned on and or a bit better fps. Visually it might look the same but for people interested in these difference they are noticeable.

Top Bottom