• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider Gameplay (Gamescom 2015)

Fractal

Banned
Problem being there's nothing to move on to, because the type of game TR used to be literally doesn't exist anymore in modern games.
That's a good point... still, I think it's odd to see people complaining about a sequel to a reboot not returning to the old formula.

Newsflash: Very few people want the grid back. The things people want from TR now are not necessarily tied down to old TR, heck they can be said about any game. TR was a game I'd expect to get lost in, with cleverly hidden secrets and memorable level design. What about that is archaic? Crystal can have their gritty third person shooter, but I don't see why that inhibits anything.

Of course I am being quick to judge, I wish we would have seen more traversal gameplay instead of stealth/action.
I never called or considered the ideas behind the classic TR games archaic (though their mechanics aged really badly), but it seems the industry, or in this case CD thinks there isn't a sizable market for such games anymore.

slade

Demo was crap. She should have been spotted any number of times even on the easiest setting. Not a good way to show off a game if they had mods enabled to make getting through the demo easier.

I realize it's opinion just like I have mine, it's just old seeing the same tired mass murder comments in my eyes I guess.

The new Tomb Raider is a TPS, and a lot of people love it. I guess the few that don't is fine they just usually shit up any thread about it. I guess kinda like what I am doing now with my annoyance so I should stop and just talk about the footage.

The only thing that looked bad to me was the AI for sure. Hopefully that can be worked on before release.

Yeah, definitely hoping to see that AI smarten up a bit.

RagnarokX

That means the franchise simply isn't for you anymore, so it's best to move on. I have my share of franchises where I also didn't like the reboots and new directions so I moved on and looked elsewhere. Disappointing as it may be for you, the old TR isn't coming back.

Move on to what? Tomb Raider was pretty unique as a 3D platformer that put a lot of emphasis on challenging navigation of dangerous environments and solving puzzles.

It doesn't hurt to stand up for what you like. This trailer does look slightly better than the last footage. I mean, at least they showed an actual trap; even though it's a scripted cutscene. So objecting to the direction they are going is having some kind of impact.

Another thing I found amusing was at E3 people were posting this screenshot as an example of the tombs being back in Tomb Raider:
SdPZ6gJ.jpg

and I was like "it's probably gonna be like in the last game where everything just falls apart around you while you run along scripted paths."

And then in this trailer they show that you are chased through this area by a helicopter as everything falls apart around you, lol.

Cyborg

Looks good, to bad I need to wait till it comes out on PS4. But then again this isnt a game that I want to play on day one. Enjoy it Xbone owners!

x-Lundz-x

Wooo, looks awesome.

Since I'm getting an X1 for QB, I might wind up getting this game anyway rather than waiting for the PS4 version.

I have both, and I bought my XB1 specifically for QB, along with the other exclusives. I'll be playing this day 1 on XB1 and maybe even PS4 when it releases there too.

Cannot wait.

RedAssedApe

Banned
hopefully tombs aren't just rooms this time...but the little tease they showed kind of makes me think they will be similar.

RagnarokX

I wish Crystal Dynamics would just make Tomb Raider Anniversary 2. Crystal make their beat TR games when they have a CORE game to base on.

They only made Anniversary because Core already started making their own version and pitched the idea to Eidos. Eidos was like "Great idea! Security, show Core the exit. Crystal, make their game."

RoKKeR

As somebody who isn't too concerned about the legacy/title of the game, I think it looks solid on it's own. Will probably pick it up in January or something.

Fractal

Banned
Move on to what? Tomb Raider was pretty unique as a 3D platformer that put a lot of emphasis on challenging navigation of dangerous environments and solving puzzles.

It doesn't hurt to stand up for what you like. This trailer does look slightly better than the last footage. I mean, at least they showed an actual trap; even though it's a scripted cutscene. So objecting to the direction they are going is having some kind of impact.

Another thing I found amusing was at E3 people were posting this screenshot as an example of the tombs being back in Tomb Raider:
SdPZ6gJ.jpg

and I was like "it's probably gonna be like in the last game where everything just falls apart around you while you run along scripted paths."

And then in this trailer they show that you are chased through this area by a helicopter as everything falls apart around you, lol.
Typically I'd agree with you, but as far as I'm concerned, here we are dealing with a lost cause. A drastic reboot which switched the focus of the series to combat has already happened, and now we're getting a sequel which seems to be equally, or even more combat oriented. It's true they mention puzzles and tombs occasionally, but to me it seems they aren't serious about it, and are more about throwing the fans of the old games a bone. Like you noticed, at one moment they tease us with an intriguing looking tomb, and in the other, you get a scripted chase scene, a chopper and a ton of explosions.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Also when they made Anniversary there was no Uncharted to try and copy.
This is exactly why I said fucking Naughty Dog fans. But I got a feeling you're just trying to push my buttons on purpose and aren't serious.

Also Uncharted completely ripped the platforming mechanics from Tomb Raider Legend, which in turn was pretty inspired by the Prince of Persia games. For those that don't remember, "this is POP not Tomb Raider!" was the thing instead of Uncharted back in the Legend days.

Garlador

Typically I'd agree with you, but as far as I'm concerned, here we are dealing with a lost cause. A drastic reboot which switched the focus of the series to combat has already happened, and now we're getting a sequel which seems to be equally, or even more combat oriented. It's true they mention puzzles and tombs occasionally, but to me it seems they aren't serious about it, and are more about throwing the fans of the old games a bone. Like you noticed, at one moment they tease us with an intriguing looking tomb, and in the other, you get a scripted chase scene, a chopper and a ton of explosions.

As a Resident Evil fan, I share your pain immensely. Almost everything you said could almost be said for the Resident Evil series, including choppers, explosions, and scripted QTE chases.

From the pinnacle of survival horror:
tumblr_l748asDM4r1qcwtmwo1_400.jpg

To generic, scare-free action game:
resident_evil_5.jpg

However, Capcom at the very least hasn't entirely forgotten about traditional Resident Evil, and they have made great strides towards moving back towards survival horror lately.

Perhaps the Tomb Raider franchise will follow suit. This game is giving me heavy shades of RE6 (the "me too!" entry of copying every popular trope and feature short of tossing in the kitchen sink), so maybe after this game the pendulum will eventually swing back in the other direction and we'll one day, some day, get a Tomb Raider game about tombs again.
lara-croft-tomb-raider-anniversary-20070330103134349-000.jpg

sublimit

Banned
so maybe after this game the pendulum will eventually swing back in the other direction and we'll one day, some day, get a Tomb Raider game about tombs again.
lara-croft-tomb-raider-anniversary-20070330103134349-000.jpg

As I Wanna Be The Guy said before Anniversary was Crystal's best effort because it was based on a great game made by a different company.Actually all the changes Crystal made in Anniversary when compared to the original were all for the worst.

I don't believe that Crystal Dynamics knows anymore how to make a true Tomb Raider game.

RagnarokX

Oh, I know they aren't serious about. They did the same song and dance with the last game saying that there would be tombs but never showing any of it and in the end what we got were 6 optional one-room puzzle tombs, like 4 puzzles that were part of the main game, and a bunch of scripted no-skill necessary traversal.

This footage shows more tombs, but let's look at what happens.

Lara is in a jeep being chased by an attack helicopter. The helicopter shoots at the jeep and the jeep crashes. Lara climbs out and is knocked over a cliff by the exploding jeep where you probably have to press a button to not die. Lara is chased by the helicopter through the canyon she fell into and eventually she comes upon a cool ancient ruin. Unfortunately there is no time to do thoughtful platforming because the helicopter is shooting up the place and everything is falling apart. Eventually she gets into an entrance where she lights a glowstick and cinematically slow walks through the tunnel and reacts to skeletons and stuff. She breaks through a wall into what could be a more promising section, but the next thing we are shown is Lara walking forward and she reacts in a cutscene to a blade trap falling from above. Next she is shown swimming through a tunnel and then what looks to be a cutscene or QTE sequence of her being swept away through a current where she has to grab walls. She climbs out of the water into this area:
oGigelg.jpg

where she finds a sarcophagus.

So it seems like the same kind of ADHD non-stop action stuff from the first game, but dressed up to look more Tomb Raider-y. Maybe the parts they skipped in the trailer have more thoughtful challenging non-cinematic platforming and stuff. I'm not holding my breath, but it's possible.

And not everyone that liked the first game would necessarily be happy if this is the case. A lot of people who defended that game did so under the premise that "it's an origin story, so it's okay that the 'platforming' and puzzles suck! The next game will have more player agency!" even though the first Tomb Raider back in 1996 went balls to the wall straight away and pioneered the 3D era and the origin excuse apparently didn't apply to Lara's ability to kill hundreds of people like Rambo. So maybe there will be more of a backlash if this game doesn't pay out on that promise.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't recall the original reboot thread being this extreme on both sides of the debate. Amazing the intensity that amplifies when there is a perception of exclusivity.

Garlador

I don't recall the original reboot thread being this extreme on both sides of the debate. Amazing the intensity that amplifies when there is a perception of exclusivity.

Oh cut that out. I own an Xbox One and LOVED the game on 360 and I still think it's a bizarre choice that I liked in SPITE of the emphasis on wholesale mass execution, not because of it. These issues were there long before the exclusivity happened.

And there was PLENTY of extreme responses to the reboot, both then and now, if not more so from Tomb Raider purists. It was a controversial game then, and it's a controversial game now.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
As I Wanna Be The Guy said before Anniversary was Crystal's best effort because it was based on a great game made by a different company.Actually all the changes Crystal made in Anniversary when compared to the original were all for the worst.

I don't believe that Crystal Dynamics knows anymore how to make a true Tomb Raider game.
Remember how they turned the T Rex fight in to a generic boss fight ending in a quick time event? Oh god.

reKon

Banned
haven't watched this yet, but I'm currently playing through the 2013 one for the first time on PC and the dialogue really isn't that bad. I mean it's no Uncharted, GTA, or Red Dead, but it's better than Gears of War I think in that regard.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Funny how for the second straight conference, they show the opposite of what should have been shown??? *smh*

Fredrik

Sooo good :)

My wallet has been crying rivers ever since CD took over Tomb Raider.

Previous game.
Xbox 360 edition, day 1.
100+ fps PC edition, Summer Sale day.
Definitive PS4 edition, day 1.

This one.
XB1 edition, day 1.
Definitive PS4 edition? day 1.

reKon

Banned
Sooo good :)

My wallet has been crying rivers ever since CD took over Tomb Raider.

Previous game.
Xbox 360 edition, day 1.
Definitive PS4 edition, day 1.

This one.
XB1 edition, day 1.
Definitive PS4 edition? day 1.

The game is good so far from what I'm playing so far on the PC version, but god damn...

It's not THAT good of a game to be triple buying, lol...

Get over your crush on Lara please

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I do wonder where the series would be today if Eidos just let CORE finish and release their Anniversary game. Would it have been good? Would it have been well recieved? Theoretically that could have been the comeback game for the series at the time and maybe CORE would have kept the series. The leaked trailer for it looked sweet.

Garlador

The game is good so far from what I'm playing so far on the PC version, but god damn...

*looks at face*
Lara_ROTTR_Cover.jpg

... I double-dipped last time too.

RagnarokX

Remember how they turned the T Rex fight in to a generic boss fight ending in a quick time event? Oh god.

That just killed all interest in the game as that was the scene they decided to focus on pre-release.

In the original Tomb Raider it was amazing. You step out into the valley and kill some raptors. Then, suddenly, the ground starts shaking and off in the distance you see the T-Rex emerging from the darkness. Holy shit! And then you run for your life.

What they did in anniversary is an prime example of Crystal Dynamics' design philosophies. They are so proud of this cool thing they made and they don't want the player to fuck that up so they take control away from player and turn it into a cutscene. But now there's no gameplay, so they put in button prompts so that the player feels like they are still involved. Then they put you in an arena and force you to fight the T-Rex as a boss fight where you have to beat it by performing a QTE a certain number of times. What made the original encounter so amazing was that it wasn't a boss fight. They just threw this giant killer dinosaur at you out of nowhere and you could deal with it however you wanted. CD tries really hard to make things FEEL and LOOK epic or cool instead of just letting them be epic or cool, and in turn they suck the game out of the game.

To be fair at least they showed gameplay this time instead of automated cinematic set piece garbage.

Did they? Read my synopsis. All they did was show a bunch of cinematic scripted sequences where Lara is chased by a helicopter while things break apart around her and she slow walks through a narrow passage. The only difference between this and the footage at E3 is what's causing things to fall apart and make Lara walk slow.

Wait, the OP's video links to a trailer. Apparently you're talking about a different video.

Okay, I just watched the gameplay footage and it's no different from the gameplay they showed at E3 and the reboot. Lara killing a bunch of dudes. I see the glowing white walls and ledges are back.

sublimit

Banned
That just killed all interest in the game as that was the scene they decided to focus on pre-release.

In the original Tomb Raider it was amazing. You step out into the valley and kill some raptors. Then, suddenly, the ground starts shaking and off in the distance you see the T-Rex emerging from the darkness. Holy shit! And then you run for your life.

What they did in anniversary is an prime example of Crystal Dynamics' design philosophies. They are so proud of this cool thing they made and they don't want the player to fuck that up so they take control away from player and turn it into a cutscene. But now there's no gameplay, so they put in button prompts so that the player feels like they are still involved. Then they put you in an arena and force you to fight the T-Rex as a boss fight where you have to beat it by performing a QTE a certain number of times. What made the original encounter so amazing was that it wasn't a boss fight. They just threw this giant killer dinosaur at you out of nowhere and you could deal with it however you wanted. CD tries really hard to make things FEEL and LOOK epic or cool instead of just letting them be epic or cool, and in turn they suck the game out of the game.

Nailed it.

big_z

really surprised Microsoft is sticking with that release date. the game is going to be awesome but they really need to give fallout its space.

Looks exactly the same as the last one.

we haven't seen much yet so who knows maybe well get more raiding. the last game was excellent though so even if the gameplay experience is similar its not a big deal.

Fredrik

Lol I know ;)

But I'd be doing the same for other games I like that get the same evolutionary treatment:

Early awesome exclusive console version
->
secondary cheaper PC version come later in higher res and smoother framerate and possibly modding capabilities
->
final updated definitive console version with bonus stuff and smooth framerate

It's just that most multiplat games gets released the same time on all platform so I just choose the PC version by default for the higher framerate. Sony has kind of been doing the same with Last of Us, Uncharted, God of War etc, but they never appear on PC too.

Mman235

I do wonder where the series would be today if Eidos just let CORE finish and release their Anniversary game. Would it have been good? Would it have been well recieved? Theoretically that could have been the comeback game for the series at the time and maybe CORE would have kept the series. The leaked trailer for it looked sweet.

I'm still hoping what was done of Core's Anniversary gets leaked sometime; if it's shit everyone will just say "told you so" and move on with no harm done, and if it's good then fans get another partially-finished good game to enjoy (albeit with the depressing realisation that Core didn't need to die in that case).

KevinCow

Banned
Yep, that certainly looks like a sequel to Tomb Raider 2013, with all the good and bad implications that comes with.

I enjoyed the last one, so I'll probably check this out once it comes to a platform I own.

Pimpbaa

Looks amazing, can't wait to play it. I really don't know how people can like the old pre Crystal Dynamics tomb raider games. The first and second games were good for the time, but the sequels after that were trash. Janky ass games where Core Design failed time and time again to make any meaningful advancements in the series. Crystal Dynamics nailed the action in the last game, it just lacked puzzles. If they manage to get in at least some Uncharted level puzzles in this game, it should be great.

Gameplay wise this might be closer to Uncharted than it is to the original Tomb Raider, but TR 2013 was already a better Uncharted than any Uncharted game I've ever played (and I played all of them except the Vita one) so I can easily see RotTR be the better gaming experience when compared to Uncharted 4, if 4 is as linear and corridor-like as the other 3.

Also, heavy action is nothing new to a Tomb Raider game, just remember TR2.
They just need to get the action-exploration-tomb/puzzle ratio right, and this might not only be "the better Uncharted" but maybe also a good Tomb Raider, possibly, dare I dream, even dethrone Anniversary or the original as the best Tomb Raider yet. But that's a loooong shot.

Top Bottom