• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen | Official Thread (PC/PC/PC/360) -- RPG from Gothic creators

nubbe

I'm playing the demo and I cant get past the big bird after the abandoned shack and catacomb.
I don't fancy the combat system :p

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Some of my screen shots from the last thread.
10hlieq.jpg

ddcabp.jpg

2vifotf.jpg

2rnyedg.jpg

2nk15lh.jpg

dnectt.jpg

35jxf1h.jpg

painey

I think I'm the only poor sod playing through on the 360. I just hit chapter 2 (I was unaware I was even in chapter 1 previously!) this is probably the most shoddy port of all time, but I enjoy the talking bits.

Deacan

painey said:
I think I'm the only poor sod playing through on the 360. I just hit chapter 2 (I was unaware I was even in chapter 1 previously!) this is probably the most shoddy port of all time, but I enjoy the talking bits.

I was planning to get the 360 version, but I can not justify paying for such a shoddy port, Even Two Worlds on the Xbox 360 looked allot better than Risen 360.

Binabik15

Is this playable with a gamepad on pc? I have a damaged wrist and playing with a mouse really starts to hurt over time :/

MacBosse

painey said:

I'm on the 360 too, and yes it looks ALOT worse on the 360 but I'm having fun with the game. It's a great adventure if you're the type of gamer than can look past some flaws and enjoy the good in the game.

Dennis

Banned
The lighting in this game is phenomenal.

Honestly right now I feel its up there with Crysis - its that good

BeeDog

Good lord, I was fighting this small puny stingrat on a small island, and I accidentally backed right into my first giant scorpion. Needless to say I pooped my pants and died.

Played the demo. Hmm, rather quaintly old fashioned (along with character models that are very average). Yet kinda' charming. I could buy this, but not for £35 which Steam wants. Absolutely no fucking way. Once it hits £20 I'll get it.

Edit: I thought maybe D2D might have it cheaper but it's not on the UK site.

Rad-

How the hell did the outsource team do the port that badly. Jesus, that's like a generation difference, or maybe even more. :lol

But really, it's sad. With AP pushed till next year and Divinity 2 coming later as well, I think this could've been a nice surprise cult hit on the 360. 360 has quite the WRPG fanbase after all.

Tonza

Slackbladder said:
Played the demo. Hmm, rather quaintly old fashioned (along with character models that are very average). Yet kinda' charming. I could buy this, but not for £35 which Steam wants. Absolutely no fucking way. Once it hits £20 I'll get it.

Edit: I thought maybe D2D might have it cheaper but it's not on the UK site.

If you don't mind a disc version blahdvd, play, shopto have it for pretty cheap.

£23.99 http://www.blahdvd.com/Games/Risen-PC/RISENPC/product.htm

I liked the demo too. But Im in the middle of Witcher still so I'll wait until I finish that before getting this.

Deacan

This game can be rather brutal, I enter a cave, only to find out I cant exit the way I came,
I find the exit only its guarded by 3 Wolves and a long drop each side.

I ended up running all the way to the first guy you meet, only to find out the guy is bloody Chuck Norris and kicks the wolves asses.

Oh and being a theif is great fun, if its not nailed down its mine.
Oh and a picture just as the lightning struck.
8xvk37.jpg

Dennis

Banned
Deacan said:
This game can be rather brutal, I enter a cave, only to find out I cant exit the way I came,
I find the exit only its guarded by 3 Wolves and a long drop each side.

Oh and being a theif is great fun, if its not nailed down its mine.
I love that it is brutal. It adds tension to the game - something I feel is lacking in many mainstream RPGs.

Yeah, I love sneaking into houses at night looting cupboards and chests. The sneak ability is a must else the inhabitants will wake.

Is anybody playing as a mage? If so are you seriously underpowered in combat or do you get powerful combat spells?

Solo

These screens make the world look like a more tropical, less generic Oblivion. Which I guess is to say it looks something like Morrowind but on the Oblivion engine.

Victrix

*beard*
I'm playing a Mage - I still whack lots of shit with my weapons, but that may change over time, as I'm slowly growing my mana pool, and mana herbs are everywhere for more potions.

Of the two spells you start with, Fireball is far more useful, as it does have light splash, and while it takes a little while to 'charge', you can run around while your dude warms it up.

The Magic Bullet is pretty terrible though, while you can spam it with left/right hand shots, you run out of mana quickly, and each shot seems to do way less than Fireball, despite being 5 mana vs 8.

About to go pick up the Frost spell, so I'll see how good that is, then decide to raise it or Fire.

I'm finally wearing enough armor that the indigenous wildlife isn't much of a threat anymore. Gigantic Scorpions and horrid war Mantis are though.

Dennis

Banned
TofuEater said:
Isn't this game also banned in Australia? :(
It is banned?

That is quite ridiculous. I have encountered absolutely nothing in this game that should in any way conceivably make a civilized country use the censor ban hammer.

Censorship is serious. And for this game? smh...

If this is banned something like 50% of all movies ought to be banned if they are going to be consistent about controlling their citizens right to media.

Australia? This is like some third-world tyranny type level of control here...

NIN90

DennisK4 said:
It is banned?

That is quite ridiculous. I have encountered absolutely nothing in this game that should in any way conceivably make a civilized country use the censor ban hammer.

Censorship is serious. And for this game? smh...

If this is banned something like 50% of all movies ought to be banned if they are going to be consistent about controlling their citizens right to media.

Australia? This is like some third-world tyranny type level of control here...

It's because you can use drugs in the game, IIRC.

Wonderfully deep game so far. I'm little over nine hours in, but I'm still in chapter one, and am already anticipating my second play-through.

Dennis

Banned
NIN90 said:
It's because you can use drugs in the game, IIRC.
Those are not real-life drugs.

Does Australia ban songs, books and movies that have references to real-life drug use ?

Durante

Note that the English translation sucks a bit. For example, in the very first dungeon there are some "Difficult chest"s. These are actually Heavy chests -- in German the word for both "Heavy" and "Difficult" is "Schwer". I thought this was hilarious (and a bit sad).

BeeDog

Durante said:
Note that the English translation sucks a bit. For example, in the very first dungeon there are some "Difficult chest"s. These are actually Heavy chests -- in German the word for both "Heavy" and "Difficult" is "Schwer". I thought this was hilarious (and a bit sad).

Yeah, there's some stupid stuff, but it's to be expected from a German game. :lol At least the dialogue itself is solid (aside from the stupid grammar errors in the subtitles).

Alright, some (I think?) end-of-chapter-1 questions (somewhat minor quest spoilers):

I'm supposed to talk to Mendoza in Esteban's name, and if I initiate the quest to follow him to the back of the Monastery, two quests that are still active (I think "Tilda's sons" or whatever it was called, and the "send the 3 brothers to the eastern temple") are cancelled. Therefore, I put the Mendoza quest on hold and reloaded.

Now, I'm trying to go and scout the road ahead to said temple, but it's incredibly hard. What would happen if I send the three brothers to the temple? They're currently resting outside Harbor Town.

painey

Durante said:

Also when you trade for Gold, the NPC says they will take XXX Gold, when really you are the one selling and they are giving you the gold. At first I was bemused, thinking I was being ripped off.

PS does anyone have the link to Gothic 1-3 collection for DD, I could swear I saw it before and it was £7 but now ive lost it

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Why do so many of the shots look like they have a dirt-esque urine filter?

Mr. Durden said:
Why do those screens look so bad? Is no-one playing at max settings or what?

Your eyes don't work?

Have you played the demo? The environments and lighting are simply stunning. There's obvious signs of the low budget production values, namely the general lack of geometric detail, the character models and the animation, but the technology is as good as anything out there.

Rokk

Neo Member
I just finished a run through of the demo. I didn't play Gothic 3 but I remember seeing / hearing all the man slaying boar stuff that was in there so it was with that in mind that I cautiously approached the only boar I found in the demo. Those stories exist for a reason, that pig beat the shit out of me.

Anyone else encounter that lone boar up on a ridge? I could 3-5 shot everything else I came across but I didn't dent that boar before he ripped me in half :lol

Game looks pretty rad though, I may pick it up in a few weeks.

NIN90

Rokk said:
I just finished a run through of the demo. I didn't play Gothic 3 but I remember seeing / hearing all the man slaying boar stuff that was in there so it was with that in mind that I cautiously approached the only boar I found in the demo. Those stories exist for a reason, that pig beat the shit out of me.

Anyone else encounter that lone boar up on a ridge? I could 3-5 shot everything else I came across but I didn't dent that boar before he ripped me in half :lol

Game looks pretty rad though, I may pick it up in a few weeks.

The boar is pretty easy. You just have to dodge a lot.

brain_stew said:
Your eyes don't work?

Have you played the demo? The environments and lighting are simply stunning. There's obvious signs of the low budget production values, namely the general lack of geometric detail, the character models and the animation, but the technology is as good as anything out there.
It looks like like an xbox game with great lighting added. Doesn't make it look good.

Dennis

Banned
Mr. Durden said:
It looks like like an xbox game with great lighting added. Doesn't make it look good.
Either you are trolling or you are having some kind of sudden-onset occular disability.
I am guessing trolling....

I really enjoyed the demo. It looks gorgeous and the sense of exploration was great. I will definitely be getting this soon. In anticipation, I installed Gothic 2 which I had laying around and never played, but man...the controls were very frustrating for me. Anyway, can't wait to pick up Risen.

DennisK4 said:
Either you are trolling or you are having some kind of sudden-onset occular disability.
I am guessing trolling....
Why would I troll a game almost no one cares about? No need for it.

Ok guess I'll say this in a different way. Oblivion is way older, and looks way better.

syllogism

Moses Donut said:
I really enjoyed the demo. It looks gorgeous and the sense of exploration was great. I will definitely be getting this soon. In anticipation, I installed Gothic 2 which I had laying around and never played, but man...the controls were very frustrating for me. Anyway, can't wait to pick up Risen.
Did you remap the keys? I recall it plays pretty much like Morrowind once you remap the controls.

syllogism

Mr. Durden said:

Ok guess I'll say this in a different way. Oblivion is way older, and looks way better.
Oblivion stutters/loads every 10 feet, you can't move around seamlessly, has awful LOD and popup which actually affects gameplay as they had to remove all the cool spells since their mess of an engine can't handle flight/levitation.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Victrix said:
I'm playing a Mage - I still whack lots of shit with my weapons, but that may change over time, as I'm slowly growing my mana pool, and mana herbs are everywhere for more potions.

Of the two spells you start with, Fireball is far more useful, as it does have light splash, and while it takes a little while to 'charge', you can run around while your dude warms it up.

The Magic Bullet is pretty terrible though, while you can spam it with left/right hand shots, you run out of mana quickly, and each shot seems to do way less than Fireball, despite being 5 mana vs 8.

About to go pick up the Frost spell, so I'll see how good that is, then decide to raise it or Fire.

I'm finally wearing enough armor that the indigenous wildlife isn't much of a threat anymore. Gigantic Scorpions and horrid war Mantis are though.

Where do you become a mage at, exactly? I joined the dudes in the Monastery (the Order?) and so far I've only learned staff fighting, and found a guy to teach me archery and pickpocketing, if I wish. Also got a guy to teach alchemy and another who teaches writing spell scrolls. Is magic something they teach you later?

Dennis

Banned
Mr. Durden said:

Oblivion looks way better than Risen? Ok maybe you are not trolling you really do have some vision problems...

Unmodded Oblivion looks better than this ?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Mr. Durden said:

Unless you are using extensive mods and texture packs Oblivion looks like shit compared to this game. You really should give Oblivion another look. I think a lot of people remember it looking better than it does today.

Anyway, I'm a bit into Chapter 3 now and some really cool stuff happened with the story. No crazy twists or anything, but the story is pretty entertaining. I'm up to level 22 now and have an awesome suit of "Captain's Armor" that prevents me from taking much damage from pretty much anything. I'm using a 96 damage warhammer along with my Rune Shield and tear through even the toughest monsters in two or three charged attacks. The combat has gotten significantly easier at this point.

Does anyone know where all of the axe trainers are? I only know of the one in the bandit's camp and the ogre in harbour town. I have my axe skill up to 7 and neither of those two can teach me a higher skill, but I can obviously level up the skill further. Are there other axe trainers out in the world or do I need to raise the remaining skill levels through items or something?

It's very fun. Question about the Don/swamp initial questline.

So, you have to find a way to get the Don's wife to give you clearance to see him. But in order to do so, it seems like the only way is to fight the leader of the fighters (forget his name). Are there ways of getting into the Don that don't involve an arena fight? Even if I just want to do the golden blade quest, I still need his sword fragment. Didn't have pickpocket at the time--does that work? The reason I ask is because he was fucking impossible to defeat.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Tokubetsu said:
Does this seriously work? 4870x2 here as well

I kid you not. I'm guessing YMMV based on the processor. Here is my contribution, the skeleton out of focus is my number one fan Fred whom I've grown very attached to.

risenh.jpg

Ok so imported the 360 version. Should be here soon. The fact that the graphics are gimped doesn't totally bother me. Then saw all these screenshots on the pc version and was like hmmmmm. Well ran into one copy at the story and on impulse bought it. Ok... so I figured well... let me download the demo and see how it runs on my box. Fairly well...and damn its pretty... So yeah going to be starting the pc version and then working my way to 360 version. DAMNIT!

So quick question. I was having a hell of a time parrying in the demo at the right moment. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this better or what to look for?

Top Bottom