• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riverdale |OT| Teen Peaks (or: Archie's Weirder Mysteries) - Thursday, 9/8c on The CW

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
this show is amazing

do we have any gifs of Veronica doing her cheerleading bit at practice?

lawd

Pluto

So, any killer theories??
Yeah

Maybe Reggie was right and Jughead did kill Jason. Wasn't Jughead's and Archie's planned road trip in July 4th too? When Archie bailed Jughead ran into Jason wherever he was hiding. One thing let to another and Jughead put a bullet in Jason's head.

Reggie asked Archie if he had tapped some cougar ass this summer, he knew about Moose and Kevin (although Moose wasn't exactly subtle about it) and now he knows who killed Jason. Maybe always being right is Reggie's superpower.

Serious theory: Betty's dad!
I think it's pretty onvious that both Archie's mom and Veronica's das aren't around because each kid really only needs one parent to do parent/child scenes. Betty has bith parents around, why? Because to have a spare that can go to prison. Her mom is onviously hating the blossoms,

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I really hope it's not Betty's dad. I hate when shows have the killer be someone who is not even close to a main character.

I just watched the first two episodes yesterday after stumbling upon the trailer, and I'm glad I did.

I initially didn't even have this show on my radar because when I heard it was announced I thought it would be some cheery pre-teen show. After watching the first two episodes, I'm upset I have to wait another week just to watch more!

I love the casting for everyone, plus the dark and mysterious tone is right up my alley after having just finished Wayward Pines.

Can't wait to see what's next, hopefully they can keep it up.

Fancolors

I'm willing to bet the reason Jason died was some sort of magical ritual where he was supposed to come back stronger, but it went horribly, horribly wrong.

Or it's actually just his sister, because no one expects that.

Makonero

I'm willing to bet the reason Jason died was some sort of magical ritual where he was supposed to come back stronger, but it went horribly, horribly wrong.

Or it's actually just his sister, because no one expects that.

sabrina killed him

she needed to sacrifice him in order to become a witch

GavinUK86

this show is amazing

do we have any gifs of Veronica doing her cheerleading bit at practice?

lawd

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

sabrina killed him

she needed to sacrifice him in order to become a witch

yes x1000

Pachimari

So I remember back in the 90s there's this show about a witch named Sabrina, I don't remember much from it, but I do remember the main character. Would she be from the Archie comics? Or is this an entirely different Sabrina?

[edit] Just looked it up on Wikipedia, and holy shit, Sabrina the Teenage Witch really was based on Archie! I never knew! I always watched that show as a kid, I loved it back then.

GavinUK86

So I remember back in the 90s there's this show about a witch named Sabrina, I don't remember much from it, but I do remember the main character. Would she be from the Archie comics? Or is this an entirely different Sabrina?

[edit] Just looked it up on Wikipedia, and holy shit, Sabrina the Teenage Witch really was based on Archie! I never knew! I always watched that show as a kid, I loved it back then.

the melissa joan hart one? yup, same sabrina. she recently resurfaced in the new jughead comic so it'll be really cool if she shows up here on the show. the witch thing might be too supernatural for the shows tone though. unless jason's death actually turns out to be supernatural then that would be an interesting twist.

Pachimari

the melissa joan hart one? yup, same sabrina. she recently resurfaced in the new jughead comic so it'll be really cool if she shows up here on the show. the witch thing might be too supernatural for the shows tone though. unless jason's death actually turns out to be supernatural then that would be an interesting twist.
Yeah, the Joan Hart one. Would be cool to see her on the show, although with another actress of course. But haven't one from the Riverdale team basically confirmed there's no supernatural stuff in this thread? I thought he did so on the last or this page.

GavinUK86

Yeah, the Joan Hart one. Would be cool to see her on the show, although with another actress of course. But haven't one from the Riverdale team basically confirmed there's no supernatural stuff in this thread? I thought he did so on the last or this page.

not sure, i must've missed it if someone did confirm it. i don't think there will be that sorta stuff in the show, it seems more straight faced in tone. interviews with the showrunners are hinting at the possibility of sabrina showing up before the end of the season, so she might happen.

Pachimari

not sure, i must've missed it if someone did confirm it. i don't think there will be that sorta stuff in the show, it seems more straight faced in tone. interviews with the showrunners are hinting at the possibility of sabrina showing up before the end of the season, so she might happen.
This one I think?:

Riverdale isn't a supernatural (seriously, no CW pun intended) town. So no ghouls and goblins.

Alice Cooper is just that freaking bananas.

Fancolors

According to KJ Apa, Sabrina appears on the finale. And here the showrunner hints it's a possibility

“The one thing that’s tricky is, there will always be a genre, mystery element to this show, but it’s hard to introduce a supernatural element,” he said. “I think there’s a way to introduce Sabrina in a way that’s not supernatural, but she is, she’s a witch.”

Aguirre-Sacasa previously described a potential “Sabrina the Teenage Witch” series in the “Riverdale” universe as dark and in the vein of “Rosemary’s Baby.” In other words, nothing like the late ’90s sitcom starring Melissa Joan Hart. (The show aired from 1996 to 2003.)

“As dark as ‘Riverdale’ is, the vision for Sabrina is even darker,” he elaborated. “Riverdale is on one side of the Sweetwater River and Greendale, where Sabrina lives, is on the other. There’s sort of that mythic idea that on one side of the river there’s one reality and on the other side of the river there’s another reality. So who knows? But yeah, there’s definitely a universe where Sabrina pops up in Riverdale, or there’s a version of Sabrina that exists in her own witchy bubble.”

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
With the possibility of Sabrina and the hardon the show has for Twin Peaks it would be weird to me if we don't get anything supernatural, closing in on missed opportunity.

In any case, even if there aren't overt elements we can still get a crazy cult that believes in the supernatural. Or even low key magic stuff that leans on the bizarre.

Replicant

This episode hits a bit too close to home for me as it deals with a rift in friendship. I am surprised at how detailed it actually deals with the situations, down to jealousy of your friend's other friends.

Grazzt

Not interested in the love triangle, I wanna see more Kevin/Moose
/(Reggie?)
Even though I'm gay, I have to say Veronica is quite hot.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
ugh spoilers cmon man

i mean worth it for the veronica gifs god damn but plz

also where is raj???

friends.JPG

Briarios

Just got through the first two episodes ... like it so far. I'd be fine with some Twin Peaks style mysticism, even if it isn't the main thread.

Anyway, I have no idea who did it ... I do know the plan was for him to disappear for awhile and that he most likely couldn't have died when the shot was heard because he had been tied up. So, I think there is much more to what's going on ... the throwaway comment about a cult would be fascinating.

GavinUK86

Betty is the killer but it doesn't matter, the whole story was just Jughead's novel and not the 'real' town.

lol that would be an amazing twist

the final scene is jughead typing "the end" and looking up from a booth at pop's and saying, so, what do you think sabrina?

SRG01

Maybe Jughead's part of Sabrina's coven and has limited clairvoyance, hence him writing the novel as an all-seeing narrator?

HeavenlyE

Cole is doing a great job as Jughead, I loved that intense stare down with Archie

Also to all the comic readers, is it possible for Jughead to turn that love triangle into a rectangle and end up with Betty or Veronica? Has there been hints of that in the comics?

SRG01

Cole is doing a great job as Jughead, I loved that intense stare down with Archie

Also to all the comic readers, is it possible for Jughead to turn that love triangle into a rectangle and end up with Betty or Veronica? Has there been hints of that in the comics?

Not really. The most recent (er, a few months ago) comics have him as asexual, although he goes out on a date with Sabrina because she dressed up as a hamburger mascot for Pops.

I don't see them going for that in the show.

Axiom

Well in the comics, Jughead and romance have always been a rare thing. He started out as a 'woman hater' because he'd see the effect they have on guys like Archie and refused to participate - that's mellowed out over the past 80 years and he's dated and stuff but it's always atypical.
Lately he's more seen as asexual and it's a 'modern' reading that actually makes complete sense with his established characterization over the decades.

Of Betty and Veronica, Jughead has always been staunchly Team Betty as even without Archie, he sees what a good person she is (and how much better off Archie would be with her). Meanwhile he and Veronica have typically been like oil and water. I don't see it being that bad in the show, but he'd still be team Betty all the way.

This Jughead has been said to not be asexual, but I still don't see this guy making a first move.
So with the characters left, Ethel hasn't shown up yet to establish her crush, Sabrina isn't in it yet - so maybe one of the Pussycats, Midge or an attempted Cheryl Blossom seduction for shock value that leads to her liking him for real. I don't see any of the guys working, unless Archie discovers he's bi...which would make the square make the most sense.

Replicant

Archie is a complete ass in this episode. Some of the things he said are downright hurtful and inconsiderate to both Betty and Jughead.

While I personally wasn't feeling this episode as much as the pilot, I still ended up liking it. Veronica is just a really good character who can bounce off others well. I like that Betty isn't letting her mom influence her and got over her resentment for now at least. I also like how Archie finally decided to not let Miss Grundy control his actions. More Jughead is always good too.

Also, this cast looks stunning in pretty much every scene.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
they finished filming episode 13 in Vancouver and had a season 1 wrap party yesterday.

Top Bottom