• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riverdale |OT| Teen Peaks (or: Archie's Weirder Mysteries) - Thursday, 9/8c on The CW

GavinUK86

that was an amazing episode that touched on a lot of real stuff. damn, i was hoping this show would be good because i love the comics and it's not let me down yet!

Great ep. Dark Betty is my kind of wonderful.

I still think it's Archie's dad. He's keeping too tight a leash on Archie. He's scared of being caught.

I love guessing this stuff, it's so fun.
We all know it's Polly who escaped. Why else they stopped talking about her

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I'm gonna go with Reggie. Love triangle between Jason/Polly/Reggie, Polly chose Jason and planned to runaway with him, Reggie gets wind of this and decides to "help" Jason runaway with Polly but ends up killing him.

Joni

Imo season 2 is guaranteed. CW have renewed shows with much worse ratings. I'm honestly not sure how they decide renewals anymore or if they factor more online stuff with their app.
There are more factors, the biggest one being CBS versus Warner and the amount of episodes. The 100 S1 is the only situation comparable to Riverdale with the things we know. That is the lowest S1 Warner show they have renewed at 13 episodes.

The question remains: Who. Killed. Jason?

Bet GAF cant find out... ::HINT:: She/He/He/She has been on screen in the first 3 episodes. Good luck!

Hmmm. My money's on Ethel, but I don't know if she was on screen at all the first two episodes. My other suspect is Kevin. The whole tied up/tortured thing smacks of what the girls did to Chuck/relationship fuckery, which is why I suspect Ethel (that look on her face when she was watching them in the hot tub, offering up her house, AND having Cheryl say the #JusticeForEthel thing all scream to me that she's the killer), but something about Kevin. He's too nice, he's the Sheriff's son, he found the body, he's BFF with Betty and this all seems to revolve around Polly...

Prime Suspects:

Ethel
Kevin
Grundy
Betty (though I hope it's not this)

Sucks they turned a general really nice black character in Chuck Clayton into a one note misogynist asshole. Shit he's the only black male teenager in the show period with speaking lines for that matter.

bremon

Didn't like how over the top Betty went. Chuck is an asshole but wow, she went to a weird place. Makes it tough to be on Team Betty. Betty at Pop's was looking really good. No wonder Chuck got played like a fiddle; who could resist? Cheryl is a great character: I love to hate her. Jughead is my favorite, Archie is good but I don't like him getting rewarded for sneaking out and doing whatever he pleases. The Dilton revelation has me looking forward to next week's episode (as if I wasn't already). Grundy actress really sold the fear of "wtf is he going to ask me?" whenever Fred brought up Archie. Weird episode overall, but still enjoyable.

Animekatt

I'm loving this show so far. Used to read and collect the B&V comics during the 90s, so it's nice seeing this show's take on them. I've always been a Betty fan, but I'm finding myself rooting for Veronica.

Question: I've been watching the show on the CW app the following day (Fridays) and I'm wondering if my watching it on the app helps with the ratings?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
that episode was too fuckin good

im gonna need a gif of veronica walking away in that one piece though lawd 😅

Qr9SKRg.jpg

DominoKid

Sucks they turned a general really nice black character in Chuck Clayton into a one note misogynist asshole. Shit he's the only black male teenager in the show period with speaking lines for that matter.

could be worse. i recall another CW show killing the only black male teen (at the time) 3 eps in

Episode 3:

Definitely weaker than the previous episode. I am not a fan of what they did to Chuck. So he's not a friendly artist anymore, but a meathead jock who harasses girls? Full stop.

Dark Betty is more interesting than whatever Cheryl is keeping secret. When she came out in a wig and lingerie, I really thought she was going to murder Chuck with a butcher knife.

The issue with Riverdale is that there isn't any kind of good-natured friendships in the show, excluding Betty and Veronica.

Based on the episode 4 preview, the Grundy/Archie plot is going into a crazy, new direction. Please let it end next week. Grundy
or whoever the hell she is
isn't doing the show any favors.

And the show is gonna blow up because of Barb/Ethel. Mark my words.

Gin-Shiio

I'll say this show is getting better with every episode. At this rate I might start liking it for real! Jughead is by far the most interesting of characters, also doing the most interesting things. They should show more of him. The focus right now is very much on the girly only. I also am convinced the whole revenge setup was just for means of fanservice.

Rhoc

Im usually not really into stuff from CW at all. But this is kinda awesome i have to say. Watched all 3 episodes in one go and wanted instantly more. Come on let me binge its 2017.
Veronica is clearly the best character. CW got me on this one good job.

Briarios

I'm still enjoying it -- and, I really like the noir use of Jughead. I think Sprouse is doing a great job, if a bit underused ... but maybe that's a good thing.
“I'd love to stay, but I've got to shake down an evil adventure scout.”
is my favorite line from the show lol

cj_iwakura

I'm still enjoying it -- and, I really like the noir use of Jughead. I think Sprouse is doing a great job, if a bit underused ... but maybe that's a good thing.
”I'd love to stay, but I've got to shake down an evil adventure scout."
is my favorite line from the show lol

Mine is also from him.

It's called necrophilia, Reggie. Can you spell it?

I actually liked this episode more than the first two, also the first that I didn't feel oddly guilty about watching it.

That preview for the next episode though.

Another good episode

-Veronica not taking any of that slut-shaming was great. She really stole a lot of scenes this episode.
-That being said, Betty went to places I did not expect so fast this episode. She definitely has some psychological issues. I didn't even think as one poster mentioned that she could be hallucinating some of those scenes with her and her mom.
-On that topic, Betty's mom is despicable. I'm glad Mrs. Blossom slapped her even if they might be assholes.
- Archie's dad was a bit of a hypocrite but I'm glad he came around by the end. Archie might not have the most interesting subplots but he's such an earnest character it's hard not to like his scenes.
-A lot more characters were introduced and/or given more parts to play. The show needs to make Riverdale feel alive rather than simply focused on the small bubble of Archie, Veronica, and Betty, even if it is entertaining.
-Chuck was an idiot and an asshole although I do wonder what unintended consequences his removal from the football supposedly will have in the future.
-Josie spoke the truth in that practice room scene but she seems to have a bit of tension between the other Pussycat members
-I'm glad that they might finally nip the whole Grundy/Archie relationship in the bud.
- On that note it's cool to see Betty and Jughead have a dynamic as the school paper journalists.
- I'm once again stunned by how beautiful everyone in this show is.

Replicant

I hope they'll let Moose and Dilton have some friendly interaction. They're supposed to be best friends in the comic yet they stuck with him Reggie? Besides, it'll let the show move around different character not named A/B/V.

ZeroX03

Banned
It's nice that they've introduced a lot of the town folk, but they seem to be focused on the core four to start with. Josie and Reggie have their own books but are pretty one note in the case of Josie and Reggie's basically a background extra. There's a lot of room for exploration there. Also wondering if they'll cool off on the darkness because so far everyone other than Veronica and Kevin strike me as potential serial killers. In the good way of course.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Gimme more Ethel and Moose for the next episodes thanks.

Also do we know if Madge is in this?
Midge's name was in the playbook next to Moose's, so she might appear in a future season. The character has not been cast though.

HAN3Ukf.png

1rquGGi.png

I watched all 3 episodes and I really enjoyed it. Veronica is going to end up breaking Betty, that kind of sucks but I mean....Archie is kind of a douche, but Hell I love the mystery so far.

How the f do you mess up Reggie when the comics give you the best comic relief, which the show needs badly.

Reggie should be the mischievious prankster that he is, and in this day of youtube it would even make sense, his obsession with this. He should be funny, and his mission in life should be making Archie's life hell. Like blackmail him into doing all these silly things for you. Like he has to wear a dress to school one day. Or he has to bring Reggie food whenever he demands it, and straight from the comics insists on silly things, like a milk shake with no lumps.

This show so far, outside of the first episode perhaps, really is bad. It's crap. No humor. The narrative drive, the murder mystery, not a single human on the planet anyone cares about. It's bad. The soap stuff, and the Archie comics stuff is the only reason it's interesting, but that's not exactly what is driving the plot momentum.

Pointless, and bad show. Taking so much time to be true to comics, but it's also this emoed out dreary show that randomly is not true to the comics also, so why the obsession with getting certain dynamics right for no reason?

ZeroX03

Banned
How the f do you mess up Reggie when the comics give you the best comic relief, which the show needs badly.

Reggie should be the mischievious prankster that he is, and in this day of youtube it would even make sense, his obsession with this. He should be funny, and his mission in life should be making Archie's life hell. Like blackmail him into doing all these silly things for you. Like he has to wear a dress to school one day. Or he has to bring Reggie food whenever he demands it, and straight from the comics insists on silly things, like a milk shake with no lumps.

This show so far, outside of the first episode perhaps, really is bad. It's crap. No humor. The narrative drive, the murder mystery, not a single human on the planet anyone cares about. It's bad. The soap stuff, and the Archie comics stuff is the only reason it's interesting, but that's not exactly what is driving the plot momentum.

Pointless, and bad show. Taking so much time to be true to comics, but it's also this emoed out dreary show that randomly is not true to the comics also, so why the obsession with getting certain dynamics right for no reason?

I mean you clearly haven't read the thread at all, where the reception is overwhelmingly positive and people seem quite interested in the murder mystery.

You can dislike the show all you like, but don't pretend that because it isn't the comics it isn't appealing to people.

Also a crossdressing gag probably isn't the kind of thing this show would go for, quite the opposite really.

There is something with the jock storyline that is bothering me, what is the point of a scorebook if half the guys are just making it up? Some entries say scored so you have to assume something happened there, but in Veronica and Ethel's case, those were just lies. It doesn't make any sense for those to be included in the scorebook as well.

There is something with the jock storyline that is bothering me, what is the point of a scorebook if half the guys are just making it up? Some entries say scored so you have to assume something happened there, but in Veronica and Ethel's case, those were just lies. It doesn't make any sense for those to be included in the scorebook as well.
Guys lie, and you're in direct competition with your boys? Yeah you're going to say shit to keep up, don't want to look like you're slacking. You saw the cocky attitude of the coaches son, you think he is the type to let his "alpha" title slip? Absolutely not.

Bluth54

I think it would make less sense if some of the guys weren't lying about some of their sexual conquests to get points and try to impress the other guys.

ZeroX03

Banned
Teenage guys lying about sexual conquests?

Guys lying about sexual conquests?

Guys lying about sex?

Guys lying?

Absurd.

bremon

Yep, I think many people can relate to high school aged guys lying rampantly about themselves and how "impressive" they are in any number of ways. Many grow out of it, and some don't.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The real mystery is: Is that a picture of another picture with the girl covered in maple syrup or an app filter?

Bleepey

I didn't like episode 3. Like it seemed so random. Like the sticky maple shit came from nowhere and it seems so.... Well... Illogical. Maybe it's cos I see slut shaming as stupid and counter productive or whatever. Also the bit at the end with the black dude under Veronica's heel could be taken the wrong way. And I say this as a black dude who has liked the toes of a fair few girls. I am not saying the show writers meant malice and yeah the scene could have been done the exact same with a white character. It just made me feel a bit weird. It's fairly minor on they'd and scheme of things but I prefer this show when it's more of a murder mystery but the fan service I find kinda distracting whether it's the lesbian kiss or dark Betty shit. I guess this is what feeling old is like.

Blues1990

While we haven't seen much of Dilton, I was expecting a modern update of the character to be that of embodying all the stock nerdy stereotypes. What I didn't expect was for him to be a hardcore survivalist, with a touch of nutty. Guy is straight up unsettling.

Beartruck

So...does the show get better? My wife and I watched the first episode and she just fell asleep 20 minutes in. What they're going for doesn't really gel for me at all. Everything in the first episode felt like something I'd seen in some other teen media 1000 times, and their occasional eyewink at using those tropes didn't change the fact that they used those tropes.

Top Bottom