• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robert Downey Jr. on Iron Man 4: "Why give up the belt?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the people who love IM3 just paint people who don't like it as 'comic nerds who hate the twist' when in fact:

- The plot is a cheesy Incredibles ripoff

- Tony doesn't bother to make any efforts to defend his home after giving his address to the Mandarin, despite having 30+ remote piloted suits available

- The Iron Patriot suit doesn't work when the President is in it but does moments later when Rhodey wears it (don't say it knows who Rhodey is, it worked fine when the bald guy wore it too)

- Iron Man movie never features him in a functional suit

- Tacked on cheesy kid segment in middle of movie kills pacing and adds nothing to story (why does the suit need to charge if its powered by the arc reactor? How is Jarvis being shut down and later fixed? Why does this movie break so many rules established in the previous two?)

- Lame fight with Guy Pearce ultimately ended by Pepper somehow firing from a random arm that's not attached to any power source

- PTSD storyline ultimately remains unresolved

- Kid friendly script doesn't allow Tony Stark to drink or deal with his drinking problem, which would have added more depth to PTSD storyline

Jeez I could keep going. The problem with Iron Man 3 isn't that they changed the character of the Mandarin, the problem is its a poorly plotted mess that features very little Iron Man action and another lame corporate white guy villain we've already seen in the previous 2 IM movies.

Sums up my problems with the third movie as well plus the Extermis lava henchmen was Saturday morning cartoon tier.

I think the people who love IM3 just paint people who don't like it as 'comic nerds who hate the twist' when in fact:

- Tony doesn't bother to make any efforts to defend his home after giving his address to the Mandarin, despite having 30+ remote piloted suits available

- The Iron Patriot suit doesn't work when the President is in it but does moments later when Rhodey wears it (don't say it knows who Rhodey is, it worked fine when the bald guy wore it too)

- Tacked on cheesy kid segment in middle of movie kills pacing and adds nothing to story (why does the suit need to charge if its powered by the arc reactor? How is Jarvis being shut down and later fixed? Why does this movie break so many rules established in the previous two?)

- Lame fight with Guy Pearce ultimately ended by Pepper somehow firing from a random arm that's not attached to any power source

- Kid friendly script doesn't allow Tony Stark to drink or deal with his drinking problem, which would have added more depth to PTSD storyline

Jeez I could keep going. The problem with Iron Man 3 isn't that they changed the character of the Mandarin, the problem is its a poorly plotted mess that features very little Iron Man action and another lame corporate white guy villain we've already seen in the previous 2 IM movies.

Man... you totally sound like a "comic nerd who hates twists" when you complain about the suit, the kid and the kid-friendly script. Comic books are for everyone just like IM3, in wich you also can see people exploding and suffering, it's kinda darker than the first one. The PTSD is just to show that Tony acts like a "genius philanthropist" but is a man inside the armor, a thing totally resolved when he realizes he is a mechanic. The rest is about suspesion of disbelief (like the arm working for pepper, there are a million explanations for that but who cares) wich I think was done right in the movie.

oh yeah I forgot that's how it ended. well, he should go save Trevor then. I just want more RDJ Tony+Trevor.

My sneaking suspicion is that
The cinematic Mandarin is some form of AI or mystical presence tied to the rings, and that's why he's been around for hundreds of years. Trevor's reward and punishment is to become the Mandarin's new host body.

kswiston

Yeah, about that decline:

Iron Man $585,174,222

Iron Man 2 $623,933,331

Iron Man 3 $1,215,439,994

Maybe he meant quality, though I liked IM3 more than IM2. IM2 was probably my second least favourite MCU movie after Thor 2.

Honestly, I would be fine without an Iron Man 4. $1.2B probably means that we will get one, but Marvel should let other characters take the spotlight. Perhaps Cap 3 can hit that $1B mark on the back of Avengers 2 hype and the quality of the last film.

J10

Banned
Man... you totally sound like a "comic nerd who hates twists" when you complain about the suit, the kid and the kid-friendly script. Comic books are for everyone just like IM3, in wich you also can see people exploding and suffering, it's kinda darker than the first one. The PTSD is just to show that Tony acts like a "genius philanthropist" but is a man inside the armor, a thing totally resolved when he realizes he is a mechanic. The rest is about suspesion of disbelief (like the arm working for pepper, there are a million explanations for that but who cares) wich I think was done right in the movie.

You've made zero sense here.

FeD.nL

Could not have said it any better.

FStop7

Banned
I liked Iron Man 1 and Avengers.

Iron Man 2 and 3 didn't really do anything for me. The only redeeming quality is RDJ.

Full disclosure: I haven't seen Cap 2, yet.

Yup. Came to that realization the other day. The only Marvel movies I've actually liked are Iron Man 1 and Avengers. And I ----really---- like them. I like them so much that it kind of clouds my perception, because the reality is that the Iron Man sequels were bad, both Thors were mediocre, and Cap 1 was bad.

Sanjuro

Why does Iron Man have to be a generic white male though?

The new Iron Man should be a lesbian nazi hooker abducted by a UFO and forced into a weight loss program.

kswiston

Yup. Came to that realization the other day. The only Marvel movies I've actually liked are Iron Man 1 and Avengers. And I ----really---- like them. I like them so much that it kind of clouds my perception, because the reality is that the Iron Man sequels were bad, both Thors were mediocre, and Cap 1 was bad.

Cap 2 is up there with Iron Man and the Avengers. I liked Thor 1 and Cap 1 (at least parts of them), and Iron Man 3 was OK but the first Iron Man, Cap 2 and the Avengers are the standouts so far.

theWB27

Honestly...I don't see how anyone could not like Cap 2. Out of all the movies, Cap was the first one to REALLY show what the hero was capable of. The story is good, because of how it leaves the universe, and the action. My goodness the action is top tier. Evans throws them hands.

Gartooth

I kind of had the suspicion that he'd be happy to play the role after his contract is over, as long as Marvel and Disney are willing to pay up. I'm going to guess that the same goes true for a lot of the other cast members with the exception of Chris Evans who wants out.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Do they still have to insure Downey for tons of money on fear that he'll revert to being a heroin junkie?

Yeah, Iron Man 3 was disappointing. Fun, if you look at it in a certain way, but extremely disappointing for many fans of the character.

Sanjuro

Iron Man 3 was entertaining, and a far better film than the second entry in the series or other Marvel branded products.

If only Christian Bale felt the same way.

The bale-man is not interested in money which I applaud him on that end. However it has more to do with Nolan not being interested no more. Bale wants to be associated under one director definite universe so I respect that. ( that's what I think I could be wrong )

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. But based on your style, I wouldn't be surprised if you have a writing credit on IM3.

zma1013

why does the suit need to charge if its powered by the arc reactor?

I thought it was established that his suits no longer used his personal arc reactor in the 3rd movie, otherwise, how else could they all be flying around independently without him?

As for the pepper arm thing, well one could argue that since she is now an indestructible ball of energy, she shot the arm using her new super duper fire powers... but the whole pepper arc there was just silly regardless. FAAAAALCON PUNCH!!!!

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
I thought it was established that his suits no longer used his personal arc reactor in the 3rd movie, otherwise, how else could they all be flying around independently without him?

As for the pepper arm thing, well one could argue that since she is now an indestructible ball of energy, she shot the arm using her new super duper fire powers... but the whole pepper arc there was just silly regardless. FAAAAALCON PUNCH!!!!

The Pepper thing I can kinda forgive, but it's still silly and a very unsatisfying end to the fight.

From what I can see, all the remote suits are still powered by an Arc Reactor, they looked built in:

New-Iron-Man-3-Heartbreaker-Armor.jpg

im3hottoysmainarmors.jpg

The suit that keeps breaking needs to be charged even though the guy has an arc reactor in his chest, its just a weird leap of logic inserted only to give him a reason to kick around TN for 40 minutes and have a non-armored fight with Extremis henchmen and a really bad joke scene with a guy in a TV truck.

Also, those suits all fell apart like tinfoil to the extremis guys, which is pretty disappointing after we saw the Mark V take hits from frickin Thor and withstand them. Like I mentioned earlier, IM3 broke tons of rules set by the original to shoehorn in all these weird plot points. Just a mess of a movie, I'm continually surprised by how polarizing it is. Some people adore it.

Stronty

This. Each IM has got worse, for my taste anyway. I love the first one though.

Re-watched avengers 1 the other day, I just don't like it at all :( I'm sorry but it is not for me. Loki was great though.

IM1 had a solid to great story, but could have used a little more action. 2 and 3 especially have much more and maybe too much action, but the story isn't as strong. Are we at the point where audiences will be ok with mediocre stories as long as there is alot of action?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Man, I thought Shane Black did a great job, aside from the shakiness of the Extremis stuff conceptually.

I read the post above that points out all the problems and I just don't care about most of them. Tony not having a fully-working suit is a knock against the film? That was awesome and made for some really unexpectedly cool action scenes that were like straight out of an 80's action movie.

I agree. IM3 had a distinctive retro 80s-90s action/buddy cop film vibe film to it. You could tell that it was a Shane Black film, as opposed to the disjointed mess of a film that IM2 was.

OldRoutes

Also, those suits all fell apart like tinfoil to the extremis guys, which is pretty disappointing after we saw the Mark V take hits from frickin Thor and withstand them. Like I mentioned earlier, IM3 broke tons of rules set by the original to shoehorn in all these weird plot points. Just a mess of a movie, I'm continually surprised by how polarizing it is. Some people adore it.

All of these can be explained with comic book logic, but I'm sure you're not interested in that.

It made the movie entertaining, whatever the reasons, and it doesn't break anything from the rest of Iron Man's movies. I strongly disagree with you.

My sneaking suspicion is that
The cinematic Mandarin is some form of AI or mystical presence tied to the rings, and that's why he's been around for hundreds of years. Trevor's reward and punishment is to become the Mandarin's new host body.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiet. That'd be awesome.

I loved Iron Man 3.

All of these can be explained with comic book logic, but I'm sure you're not interested in that.

It made the movie entertaining, whatever the reasons, and it doesn't break anything from the rest of Iron Man's movies. I strongly disagree with you.

Hmmm? It wasn't even comic book logic, they explain it in the movie.

IM3 spoilers
The suits aren't very good because he's just throwing ideas at a wall and seeing if they stick, basically. None of them are fine tuned like the ones he's been using in the other movies.

Remember, he's doing these in the middle of the night on no sleep because of PTSD, he's basically just trying to keep himself occupied.

Slayven

Movies + Ultimate universe stuff? Comicbook Iron Man has been sober longer than most of us have been alive.

Shit I just looked up when demon in a bottle hit, yep even before I was born and folks consider me an old man. Ultimate Universe is the worse, except for Spiderman.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. But based on your style, I wouldn't be surprised if you have a writing credit on IM3.

Good grief, you guys. At least he was addressing the points in the post he was responding to.
I'm sorry for my language limitations and I shouldn't have posted an incomplete response. The double "-" are my responses.

-- I have to rewatch The Incredibles. I think that the plot is in the typical style of Shane Black and it reminded me of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

-- He hadn't the time to think about that and it wasn't ready

--The President hadn't any basis about how to use it? Maybe there was a simple lock? Do you really care about this?

--This is based on your expectations. The movie was good for what it was and I loved the concept of him failing whenever he used the suit. There are also two scenes with the it are the best in the series. I've read many Iron Man comics with even less suits and weapons (those were bed though).

-- Again, did you expect a dark movie? The kid part was unexpected and stupid on purpose. A Last Action Hero moment. I agree that it may have dragged the movie, this is one of the problems with it: it's a little too much "Shane Blackey".

-- I loved it! The suits, the setting, the tattoos, the idea of the exploding armor. Maybe the armor used the energy inside her or whatever Tony invented. I find it believable and over the top... this movies were never realisitc. He built Iron Man inside a cave.

--PTSD was a little silly but the director used it to make Tony a fragile character. A little useless yeah.

-- PTSD didn't have anything to do with the Bottle Demons. The movie wasn't about that story arc... and the Kid friendly movie (kiddy like every other Marvel movie) had many deaths and was fun. It didn't feel forced, that's what I mean.

I think that you aren't wrong but neither I am. We see the movie from different angles, you had different expectations.

My issue with IM3 wasn't that the Mandarin wasn't the real villain, my issue was that the real villain was Guy Pearce's dumb, shitty character. The reveal was funny, I guess, but they didn't really follow it up with anything good.

Maximus.

Why would he turn down so many millions from a movie every couple years? It's more if Marvel wants him to continue making that much money from them. They are probably worried other actors will demand similar contracts if he continues his ways I'm sure.

I've liked every iron man---one and three especially---so I'd be down. It'll be really interesting to see how this pans out, Marvel is pretty stingy in terms of paying it's actors but RDJ basically IS Tony Stark.

Iron Man 1 is the best, Iron Man 3 could have been so fucking awesome if wasn't for
Trevor reveal
...that wreck the the whole movie for me..

I liked Iron Man 1 and Avengers.

Iron Man 2 and 3 didn't really do anything for me. The only redeeming quality is RDJ.

I agree with your post (except for the Avengers bit, i didn't like that movie either), i can't see anyone else inside the Iron Man suit... now if they could somehow come up with something as good as the first Iron Man movie, that'd be hella sweet.

LosDaddie

Banned
Good. RDJ is perfect for the role. Keep him on board.

But....IM2 & 3 are the only MCU movies I don't own. Enjoyable, worth seeing in the theaters, but not movies I care to own.

.GqueB.

Banned
IM1 had a solid to great story, but could have used a little more action. 2 and 3 especially have much more and maybe too much action, but the story isn't as strong. Are we at the point where audiences will be ok with mediocre stories as long as there is alot of action?

I guess. The Transformers movies are a good indication of that and I'm guilty as charged since I've been there for all 4. It's so rare to have both. James Cameron, IMO, is the only director that can tackle both pretty well consistently.

Narratives have gotten too convoluted these days and action sequences are starting to lack tension. If you're gonna lack tension you need to dial up the cool or you've completely lost me. Avengers pretty nailed this. They were never in any real danger but that last sequence was cool as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom