• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robert Downey Jr. on Iron Man 4: "Why give up the belt?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

.GqueB.

Banned
Why give up the belt? Because the third one was a piece of shit.

Pfft, wasn't his fault.

I doubt he'll walk away anytime soon. He gets to play the most fun character of the bunch and the attention is always on him. Whether it be the quips in the suit or the in helmet shots. Thor would probably be a close second since he seems to have so much fun with the character. The rest are nerds.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I just want them to make a good Iron Man movie again. Hell, even 2 got what Iron Man is right more than 3. I can barely call 3 an Iron Man movie.

Iron Man 1 and Avengers get it so right, and yet they continue to write these crappy scripts for their BIGGEST asset in his solo sequels. Hopefully the quality of Winter Soldier has upped everyone else's game.

Frog-fu

Banned
Iron Man 3 was fantastically entertaining, a great action film, and a gorgeous, elegant troll of both Chris Nolan's tiresome 9/11 obsession and canon-obsessed comic nerds in general. More from Shane Black, please.

Absolutely agree. I loved Iron Man 3, it was hilarious.

Kinyou

- Lame fight with Guy Pearce ultimately ended by Pepper somehow firing from a random arm that's not attached to any power source
Woah there. Watching him slip in and out of suits was highly entertaining. Much more interesting fight than what the first two movies had to offer.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Man... you totally sound like a "comic nerd who hates twists" when you complain about the suit, the kid and the kid-friendly script. Comic books are for everyone just like IM3, in wich you also can see people exploding and suffering, it's kinda darker than the first one. The PTSD is just to show that Tony acts like a "genius philanthropist" but is a man inside the armor, a thing totally resolved when he realizes he is a mechanic. The rest is about suspesion of disbelief (like the arm working for pepper, there are a million explanations for that but who cares) wich I think was done right in the movie.

It's not really PTSD if he can 'get over it' though, is it?

So either we have Tony Stark being so stupid he doesn't know what PTSD actually is, the writers being similarly stupid, or it's meant to be funny 'hah, look at the rich idiot who doesn't know what PTSD is.'

None of those work, at all.

It's just a needless obstacle for Tony to get over, with no pay off whatsoever.

BLACKLAC

Iron Man 3 was fantastically entertaining, a great action film, and a gorgeous, elegant troll of both Chris Nolan's tiresome 9/11 obsession and canon-obsessed comic nerds in general. More from Shane Black, please.

IM3 is the best IM and the best action sequences in the trilogy. Christmas bitches and fuck Mandarin! Trevor for life!

After winter soldier, iron man 3 is the best thing out of that studio by a landslide

It's also the only time I was surprised by a marvel studios film. The amount of creative freedom they gave black was great....if only it happened with wright :(

Blader

The idea, in fact, was ingenious.

Will never understand people being disappointed by the twist. Probably the best thing to happen to the character in his history of existence and thank god the movies have some balls to attempt stuff like this. I worry for the day where Feige and the MCU become cookie cutter films with the same format, because they try their hardest to be that.

No I agree, the idea was cool and it was a far more interesting take on the character than I was expecting. I just think the jokes were shitty.

Asbel

I'm one of the few who really likes both comic book Mandarin and movie Mandarin.

My gut feeling is that Trevor will become the real Mandarin through a body swap, which is common for the rings to do in the comics.

Talon

Downey sounds like he's cutting that goddamn Sting promo before he went Crow
'The Stinger/Downey may be a little out of your price range, NWO/Marvel'
'The only thing for sure, is that nothing's for sure'

If he starts hanging out in rafters like Hawkeye watch out
I don't understand this reference.

Vanish

I think the people who love IM3 just paint people who don't like it as 'comic nerds who hate the twist' when in fact:

- The plot is a cheesy Incredibles ripoff

- Tony doesn't bother to make any efforts to defend his home after giving his address to the Mandarin, despite having 30+ remote piloted suits available

- The Iron Patriot suit doesn't work when the President is in it but does moments later when Rhodey wears it (don't say it knows who Rhodey is, it worked fine when the bald guy wore it too)

- Iron Man movie never features him in a functional suit

- Tacked on cheesy kid segment in middle of movie kills pacing and adds nothing to story (why does the suit need to charge if its powered by the arc reactor? How is Jarvis being shut down and later fixed? Why does this movie break so many rules established in the previous two?)

- Lame fight with Guy Pearce ultimately ended by Pepper somehow firing from a random arm that's not attached to any power source

- PTSD storyline ultimately remains unresolved

- Kid friendly script doesn't allow Tony Stark to drink or deal with his drinking problem, which would have added more depth to PTSD storyline

Jeez I could keep going. The problem with Iron Man 3 isn't that they changed the character of the Mandarin, the problem is its a poorly plotted mess that features very little Iron Man action and another lame corporate white guy villain we've already seen in the previous 2 IM movies.

Thank you

Iron Man 3 was baller as feck. Number 4 after the trinity of Avengers, Winter Soldier and IM1 (maybe 5 if GotG lives up to hype). Always about the guy outside of the suit.

More RDJ is not a bad thing.

BigDug13

Despite what you think of the later movies, the fact is there is no other actor on the planet that is more suited for this role than RDJ.

keuja

IM3 was mediocre but RDJ was born to play Tony Starks.
The franchise wouldn't be the same without him and he knows it.

Betty

Banned
Get rid of Cheadle he's terrible in the iron man series

Oh he really, really is. He's a better actor than Terrance Howard, but he's utterly miscast in the role.

At least with Howard I could believe he'd want to pimp his suit out with a set of kick ass guns. Cheadle looks like the type of guy who would request non lethal equipment.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Oh he really, really is. He's a better actor than Terrance Howard, but he's utterly miscast in the role.

At least with Howard I could believe he'd want to pimp his suit out with a set of kick ass guns. Cheadle looks like the type of guy who would request non lethal equipment.
+1

Cheadle's way too straight-laced for the part. If Howard had kept the role, I guarantee you we'd be seeing build-up to a solo War Machine movie right now. With Cheadle it's not even in the conversation.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
IM3 was brilliant, and if IM4 is coming I hope it's directed by Black again.

Also lots of the complains are funny, seems like everyone forgot that the movie
is a recount of events being told by Tony to Bruce, and Tony is an unreliable narrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom