• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band DLC Announcements

FyreWulff

re: GonD prefabs. I finally got a cap card, so I decided to get actual good screencaps of them.

http://imgur.com/a/tet9z#0

sup john lennon

a5KHvl.jpg

edit: lol

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
No RBN due to holiday.

Official DLC:

Available on Xbox 360 Sunday December 30th, 2012; Wii January 2nd, 2013; and PlayStation®3 system January 8th, 2013:

* “Party Hard” – Andrew W.K. O
* “We Are Young” – Fun. ft. Janelle Monáe O
* “Tonight Tonight” – Hot Chelle Rae O
* “Raise Your Glass” – P!nk O

Price:

$1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points ™, 200 Wii Points™) per song

I would post partyhard.gif but we have strobe rules

So all pre-RB3 songs are discounted forever? I remember paying 160 for each over the years... Now that I got RB3 on the Xbox Live sale, so many songs are only 80 points... It's such a huge difference. So much better to build a huge library...

Hop

So all pre-RB3 songs are discounted forever? I remember paying 160 for each over the years... Now that I got RB3 on the Xbox Live sale, so many songs are only 80 points... It's such a huge difference. So much better to build a huge library...

They won't say forever, but they won't say when it'll end. So, probably forever.

FyreWulff

It's for "forever" but they aren't going to say forever because Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo could change the prices back at their discretion at any time

Mostly Microsoft

edit: Charron'd

I finally got to play around with a real keyboard using Rock Band as a guide. Many songs sound great even on Hard and on Expert they're obviously quite accurate. It's just hard to find the correct instrument on this keyboard, and sometimes the game cheats with key placements in dynamic songs.

Does anyone know if Piano Man is missing half the song? It doesn't sound right when I play it, even on what little of Expert I can do.

Edit: And ugh, the keyboard controller feels horrible after using a real one... gotta get myself a real keyboard and the adapter soon.

Hop

Does anyone know if Piano Man is missing half the song? It doesn't sound right when I play it, even on what little of Expert I can do.

What I do know is that left-hand playing isn't authored (due to the two-octave range). I don't have that song so I can't check what exactly they might've done, but Joel is a really good pianist so he probably does more with his left hand than just root chord rhythms. That would be missing in the chart and that would make it sound pretty lacking.

EYEL1NER

Party Hard came out? Man, I've gotta get that. I started listening to Andrew WK pretty late in the game (like last summer? lol), but his songs are certainly energetic.

Welp, it's a new year and hopefully there's some new Iron Maiden to come in it.
I'm listening to the Seventh Son album right now and I need more songs from in it this game. Preferably the rest of the album, but mainly 'The Prophecy,' 'Moonchild,' and 'The Evil that Men Do.'
Also some more songs off of Brave New World would be nice, now that we have 'The Wicker Man' from RB: Blitz.

Hop

This week in RBN:

Xbox 360 RBN Releases for Thursday, 1/3/2013:

Glam
ANKST – “Monument” (80 MSP)

Metal
All Shall Perish – “In This Life of Pain” (160 MSP)
Ava Inferi – “The Living End” (160 MSP)
My Ruin – “Highly Explosive” (80 MSP)
Sacred Mother Tongue – “Two Thousand Eight Hundred” (80 MSP)

PS3 RBN Releases for Tuesday, 1/8/2013 (North America) and 1/9/2013 (Europe):

Chaotrope - "The Hourglass Paroxysm - Part I" ($0.99), Metal
Chaotrope - "The Hourglass Paroxysm - Part II" ($0.99), Metal
Christina Marie Magenta - "Cold" ($1.99), Pop/Dance/Electronic
Deception of a Ghost - "These Voices" ($1.99), Metal
Halcyon Way - "Inversion" ($0.99), Metal
Halcyon Way - "The Age of Betrayal" ($0.99), Metal
Halcyon Way - "IndoctriNation" ($0.99), Metal
The Hamster Alliance (ft. The Giant Bomb Crew) - "Giant Bombstep: Reloaded" ($0.99), Pop/Dance/Electronic
Kink Ador - "Animal" ($1.99), Rock
Pythia - "Just a Lie" ($1.99), Metal
Steve Pardo - "This War Will Never Start" ($0.99), Indie Rock
Sweethammer - "Robots" ($0.99), Pop/Dance/Electronic
Tina Guo - "Forbidden City" ($1.99), Metal
We Set The Sun - "Cody" ($1.99), Metal
B.et.a and The Neon Panthers - "Queendom" ($1.99), Pop/Dance/Electronic

Official DLC:

Available on Xbox 360, Wii, and PlayStation®3 system (January 8th, 2013):

• Foster the People – “Pumped Up Kicks” O
• Foo Fighters – “These Days”
• Maroon 5 ft. Christina Aguilera – “Moves Like Jagger “ O

(These tracks will be available in Europe on PlayStation®3 system January 9th)

Price:

$5.49, £3.19 UK, €3.99 EU (440 Microsoft Points, 550 Wii Points™) for the “Foster the People Pack 01”
$1.99 USD, £1.19 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points ™, 200 Wii Points™) per song

Well that's shit

Oh well, next week is Great Balls of Fire, so there's that

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Wow. Just, wow.

On the other hand, just noticed This War Will Never Start hits RBN for PS3 this week so I'm happy for that.

They're apparently bouncing weeks between Blitz repeats and new tracks. So, 1/8 is all Blitz, 1/15 is all new, 1/22 all Blitz, etc. until they're all out.

Nowhere does it flat-out say they're running out of dlc entirely. Surely this isn't the first time they've released dlc for the entire week that was based off of something else like disc track packs (Country, ACDC)? I'd be really fucking bummed if it were true they're not doing dlc anymore, but since they said they're working on new IPs that gives me hope. That library is too ginormous not to do stuff with.

Hop

Nowhere does it flat-out say they're running out of dlc entirely. Surely this isn't the first time they've released dlc for the entire week that was based off of disc track packs (Country, ACDC)? I'd be really fucking bummed if it were true they're not doing dlc anymore, but since they said they're working on new IPs that gives me hope. That library is too ginormous not to do stuff with.

All out of Blitz, I mean.

AlexBasch

I got RB Blitz for free, but it's good that they're releasing the soundtrack as standalone tracks. Maybe they want to space out a slow month with that? It definitely looks less alarming than when they only released one song at some week.

I don't think this means they're out of DLC. At least, I hope not.

I was so excited about the potential of RBN, but it seems like the worthwhile releases are few and far between (for my taste, at least). I think the only tracks I've even bothered with were Band of Horses, and they're not even that fun to play. Such a bold and interesting endeavor on HMX' part, too bad it never really took off.

birdman

I've been so down on these recent DLC releases. Way too many Blitz songs.

Where have you been, punk?

A magical world of work where I wanted to make sure I wasn't dropping too much time into forum crawling. That, and I couldn't keep up with the other place.

I don't think this means they're out of DLC. At least, I hope not.

I was so excited about the potential of RBN, but it seems like the worthwhile releases are few and far between (for my taste, at least). I think the only tracks I've even bothered with were Band of Horses, and they're not even that fun to play. Such a bold and interesting endeavor on HMX' part, too bad it never really took off.

Sub Pop made a good effort with their RBN offerings (Sunny Day Real Estate in RB makes my day), but most everything else released doesn't interest me at all.

FyreWulff

There was already a week where it was just the songs from the OXM disc (Harmonix Pack 01). Another week that was just Country Track Pack 2. They also said upfront that Blitz's songs would be normal DLC.

They're not running out of DLC. Let's be honest, if they were about to run out of DLC they'd give everyone a heads up that RB's DLC support was ending. They're not going to really win here it seems, it's either get yelled at for supporting the Wii with the tracks or get yelled at for leaving the Wii behind on the tracks..

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I've been so down on these recent DLC releases. Way too many Blitz songs.

A magical world of work where I wanted to make sure I wasn't dropping too much time into forum crawling. That, and I couldn't keep up with the other place.
Good to hear you're fine. Drop by to say hi sometime.

Ridley327

There was already a week where it was just the songs from the OXM disc (Harmonix Pack 01). Another week that was just Country Track Pack 2. They also said upfront that Blitz's songs would be normal DLC.

They're not running out of DLC. Let's be honest, if they were about to run out of DLC they'd give everyone a heads up that RB's DLC support was ending. They're not going to really win here it seems, it's either get yelled at for supporting the Wii with the tracks or get yelled at for leaving the Wii behind on the tracks..

I'm not so sure about that anymore...

As I mentioned in a previous post, there is a lot that can happen with DLC on even a week to week basis so we don't like to comment on plans too far out. All I can say right now is what has already been outlined in the announcement and the FAQ, that we have DLC releases lined up for the next 3 months.

While we most definitely do want to make these songs available for the people that want them, this should most definitely be seen as a slow down of DLC. The first line in the announcement references a slow down in the DLC production pipeline, so while I totally understand that people want to stay positive, we should all be realistic about the state of things at this point.

They're definitely letting the community know that they should batten down the hatches just in case.

FyreWulff

I interpreted it as their usual statement of having a 3 month buffer of content.

But.. even if it really slows down or comes to and end though, the game still works and it was a hell of a run for DLC support on a console game. I don't think people really expected RB1 DLC to last more than a couple months out from it's release, let alone 3 years for RB1-compatible and 5 years for the whole franchise.

Ridley327

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's been an incredible run; I don't think any other game has had such a massive amount of content like this available for it. I'm just not going to pretend that we aren't seeing the end of the road. 2012 was clearly stretching it out as it was, especially when they started making Green Day available.

Stab in the dark:
worst case - Rock Band dlc ends, no more Rock Band games
life goes on case - dlc stays at this clip, Harmonix makes some Rock Band thing for next-gen Kinect
best case - Rock Band 4 for next gen, dlc gets renewed to it's glory days

They've said they're working on new IPs. My gut says no way they ignore that stupid large dlc library they have and will utilize it going forward.

FyreWulff

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's been an incredible run; I don't think any other game has had such a massive amount of content like this available for it. I'm just not going to pretend that we aren't seeing the end of the road. 2012 was clearly stretching it out as it was, especially when they started making Green Day available.

I'm still kind of surprised they dumped the rest of it all at once. I thought they were going to roll the albums out one at a time.

birdman

Do you think they'll try to stretch it out even further with another disc-based release?

FyreWulff

Do you think they'll try to stretch it out even further with another disc-based release?

They already shot down RB1/RB2 tracks being sold on stream. And they've already went through the last track pack that had songs not on the store, which was CTP2.

In theory I guess they could release those Schick Razor Pro Guitar songs.

birdman

They already shot down RB1/RB2 tracks being sold on stream. And they've already went through the last track pack that had songs not on the store, which was CTP2.

In theory I guess they could release those Schick Razor Pro Guitar songs.

I was thinking more on Lego Rock Band honestly. It's the only other spinoff game I can think of that they could possibly mine for DLC.

Ridley327

I was thinking more on Lego Rock Band honestly. It's the only other spinoff game I can think of that they could possibly mine for DLC.

We've had You Give Love a Bad Name, We Will Rock You and We Are the Champions released from LRB, so it's not without precedent. I'd have to think that Song 2, Ghostbusters, Life is a Highway, and The Final Countdown would be solid sellers for them.

vg260

We've had You Give Love a Bad Name, We Will Rock You and We Are the Champions released from LRB, so it's not without precedent. I'd have to think that Song 2, Ghostbusters, Life is a Highway, and The Final Countdown would be solid sellers for them.

I want Final Countdown with keys before RB goes away.

FyreWulff

So summary off memory

- Blitz song weeks were to get singles for cherry pickers and songs to Wii

- At least one more artist has a pack with their Blitz song

- Upcoming new-content weeks will have multiple pro guitar upgrades. They're aware that they've been having weeks with no pro, but due to company bandwidth and the small Pro community, they have to be be sure a Pro chart will return a profit

- No plans for RB3 songs playable in Blitz

- People were asking stupid questions so I just threw out one about Heir Kommt Alex, response to that was "international licensing issue, don't get your hopes up"

- Overall just setting expectations to not expect the 7-songs weeks of yore, especially with them making new games (none of which are related to Rock Band), they have less people working on Rock Band now and it's been 2 years since the game came out. I think it's essentially expect 3-song singles weeks a lot from here on out. I think they did mention there will be an artist release this year with 7 or so tracks in a pack. I might be misremembering that though.

- Didn't know the answer to if there's more Green Day Pro upgrades incoming or not.

Someone asked if a Valentines Day pack was coming out, Drake said "we're working on it", then Aaron changed it to "we have songs coming out the week of Valentine's Day" :p

- RBN will run as long as Microsoft allows the XNA pipeline to exist. If PS3 RBN support ends, it will definitely be before the 360 support ends since Harmonix has to manually submit those.

Hop

This week in RBN:

Xbox 360 RBN Releases for Thursday, 1/10/2013:

Indie Rock
Leadership by Assault – “Sober Up” (80 MSP)

Metal
Bluefusion – “KITTY! (ft. The Anime Cow)” (80 MSP) 2x
The Dillinger Escape Plan – “Parasitic Twins” (160 MSP)
My Ruin – “Vultures” (80 MSP)

Rock
Bright Midnight – “Floating Feather (Blue Day & Age)” (80 MSP)
Bright Midnight – “Liberation” (80 MSP)
Jerry Lee Lewis – “Great Balls of Fire” (160 MSP)
The Smartass Rascals – “Smartass Rascals” (80 MSP)

PS3 RBN Releases for Tuesday, 1/15/2013 (North America) and 1/16/2013 (Europe):

Serianna - "Inheritors" ($1.99), Metal
Serianna - "Fragments" ($1.99), Metal
Moving Picture Show - "A Bridge That Will Burn" ($0.99), Pop-Rock
Drugstore Fanatics - "The Distance" ($0.99), Alternative
John Parr - "Monday Night Football" ($1.99), Rock

Official DLC:

Available on Xbox 360, Wii, and PlayStation®3 system (January 15th, 2013):

• Rick Springfield – “Jessie’s Girl” O X
• Rick Springfield – “I’ve Done Everything For You” X
• Rick Springfield – “Don’t Talk to Strangers” O

(These tracks will be available in Europe on PlayStation®3 system January 16th)

Price:

$5.49, £3.19 UK, €3.99 EU (440 Microsoft Points™, 550 Wii Points™) for the “Rick Springfield Pack 01”

$1.99 USD, £1.19 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points ™, 200 Wii Points™) per song

17 Blitz tracks left to re-release.

espher

I am still wanting them to rerelease the Styx and REO Speedwagon stuff with harmonies and keys. "Roll With the Changes" with full harmonies and keys would be epic.

Not to toot my own horn too much, but if you're okay with doing a little bit of leg work, I've got a non-modded Xbox-friendly homebrew solution to the harmonies thing (though not keys, yet). Videos of the work to date are on YouTube under Rock Band: Harmonies Project, which also has links to other resources. It requires that you have the original DLC files and such and doesn't tamper with them, and requires that you are versed a bit in Xbox file mgmt software.

Top Bottom