• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band Rivals |OT| We're Still Putting The Rock Band Back Together

zulux21

gah I forgot rock band would let you buy packs that you owned songs from.

bought a few songs with the 20% off code I was sent and one of the foo fighters packs (the 6.50 one) I already owned 2 songs from so I ended up paying the whole pack price for 2 songs (that were the two I was just okay with I wanted the other two and forgot I had them >.<)

completely negating my 20% off coupon due to the overpay
:/

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I wish I had the option to revert the audio mix to how it was at launch with crowd singalongs that you could actually hear. I like the new sound mix, but hate the fact that you can barely hear the crowd sing on some songs like Green Day for example. At launch, you were able to hear the crowd sing just fine. Now? lol

Right, here's this week's DLC impressions, stem confirmations, and first playthrough scores!

"Shape of You" - Ed Sheeran - [Guitar: Tier 2 | Bass: Tier 0 | Drums: Tier 3 | Vocals: Tier 4]
Expert Guitar: 144,650 | 100% Notes Hit (683/683) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 36,275 | 100% Notes Hit (201/201) Full Combo | Gold Stars

"Promise Everything" - Basement - [Guitar: Tier 1 | Bass: Tier 2 | Drums: Tier 3 | Vocals: Tier 1]
Expert Guitar: 227,800 | 100% Notes Hit (702/702) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 148,457 | 100% Notes Hit (715/715) Full Combo | Gold Stars

Stem Confirmations: "Promise Everything" is legit, all of the tracks are seperated with no affect to the quality of the overall track when missing notes, and no muffling whatsoever so that's 3 of 3 RBVR songs so far that have proper stems! "Shape of You" is also legit! Took a while to figure that one out because there's a ton of background noise, but the vocals give it away, so yeah, both tracks are a safe purchase this week!

DLC Impressions: "Shape of You" kinda surprised me on Expert Guitar. Whilst most of the song is slowly strummed chords moving up and down the fretboard there are actually a couple of really interesting sections, the first being an alt-strummed string of single notes with little hammer-on flourishes between lane changes, and even a slight pause to try and catch you off! The second interesting part consists of short bursts of alt-strummed single notes and 3 note chords. Overall not as bad as I thought it'd be. The bass on the other hand is fucking dull as dishwater. A long pause at the beginning and then slowly strummed single notes after that. The only mildly interesting part being the occasional 3 note hammer-on up the fretboard every now and then. Snoozefest!

"Promise Everything" was pretty rad for a punk song though. Lots of 3 note chord strumming up and down the fretboard with some occasional 2 note chord alt-strumming. And a really fun section halfway through that has you quickly strumming single notes up and down the fretboard as the notes snake about. Overall pretty solid, and a fairly short song so nothing outstays it's welcome. Bass is really fun as well, loads of single note alt-strumming with little flourishes in between like 4 note intermissions travelling up and down the fretboard and a few time signature changes as well. Overall, definetly the strongest of the 2 songs this week. Basement are such a good punk band so it's nice to finally get them in the game!

So yeah, overall a pretty solid week. Whodathunkit?

Best Guitar: "Promise Everything"
Best Bass: "Promise Everything"

bought a few songs with the 20% off code I was sent and one of the foo fighters packs (the 6.50 one) I already owned 2 songs from so I ended up paying the whole pack price for 2 songs (that were the two I was just okay with I wanted the other two and forgot I had them >.<)

You're supporting HMX, good on you!

You're supporting HMX, good on you!

Congratulations!
K3GMT8J.gif

The full list of songs coming to the Rock Band 4 DLC Library this month is as follows:

Hall & Oates – “You Make My Dreams”
Kaleo – “Glass House”
New Order – “Bizarre Love Triangle”
Oasis – “Champagne Supernova”
The Pretty Reckless – “Heaven Knows”

And Rewind tracks including:

Avenged Sevenfold – “Beast and the Harlot” (First appeared on Rock Band 3)
Blondie – “One Way or Another” (First appeared on Rock Band 2)
Lynyrd Skynyrd – “Free Bird” (First appeared on Rock Band 3)

406DLCRect.png

Nothing for me this week, but get One Way or Another if you don't already have it.

I'll get Champagne Supernova, Heaven Knows, and maybe Bizarre Love Triangle this month.

MrNelson

Banned
I mean, I guess it's cool that they're future proofing some of those Rock Band 3 songs, but I don't know why anyone would buy them now since the export is still available.

vg260

Hall and Oates is the first song in a couple months I'm interested in. Still prefer Out of Touch, but this is good too. Hoping for stems, but them not picking this for their first pack has me skeptical.

I haven't been paying attention to the game in a while, but with their big layoffs and them still not putting the expired tracks back up, I'm getting nervous about the game's future. Are they still waiting for all the Sony Europe exports first?

MrNelson

Banned
I haven't been paying attention to the game in a while, but with their big layoffs and them still not putting the expired tracks back up, I'm getting nervous about the game's future. Are they still waiting for all the Sony Europe exports first?
They've said before that the expired tracks are not dependent on the exports being out and that they're working on both simultaneously.

pacman85

Are they still waiting for all the Sony Europe exports first?
Yeah, they said they wanted exports out everywhere before they even begin trying to get delisted songs back on any platform so who knows when (or should I be saying "if" at this point) we will get delisted songs back.

vg260

Yeah, they said they wanted exports out everywhere before they even begin trying to get delisted songs back on any platform so who knows when (or should I be saying "if" at this point) we will get delisted songs back.

Huh, so which info is correct? Sounds like there still some confusion.

pacman85

Huh, so which info is correct? Sounds like there still some confusion.
I'm pretty sure my information was from HMXJosh in a reddit post/comment. I don't have a link to that comment though, but if I find it, I will link it back here. I though they just had limited resources to work on stuff like that isn't really making them any money but I hope MrNelson is right on this and I am wrong though, so if he has any links/sources to back up what he is saying then by all means let's go with his theory haha.

pacman85

I haven't been paying attention to the game in a while, but with their big layoffs and them still not putting the expired tracks back up, I'm getting nervous about the game's future.
Yeah, I'm kinda wondering what we should expect as well. This is also the first RB3 track they have made a RB Rewind weekly DLC song too. So hopefully they haven't exhausted all of the Lego, RB1 and RB2 tracks already and are having to move onto RB3 tracks because they can't get any more new DLC (other than what they got this month and for RBVR). Hopefully that's just the conspiracy theorist in me thinking that. All I know is all of this seems eerily similar to when they were winding down DLC for RB3 in April 2013.

FyreWulff

Actually surprised Rock Band 3 tracks are already getting relicensed. But then again you need to own a prev gen console to get them.

Free Bird will probably sell a lot.

It's probably just easier to rerelease active export singles with the current gen submission back end.

pacman85

But hasn't all the on-disc stuff been released at this point? We finally got RB2, Lego and Green Day in Europe.
Well if that's the case, then I guess this whole discussion doesn't really matter and whoever is working on getting old DLC into RB4 should now be working on the delisted songs. Here's hoping they come soon!

But hasn't all the on-disc stuff been released at this point? We finally got RB2, Lego and Green Day in Europe.
Track Pack 2 and the 20 RB2 Bonus tracks are all that remain export-wise that haven't been fixed elsewhere. The bonus tracks were briefly available for purchase. It added the TP2 songs to my download list. Given how I already own both on another account, the convenience of having to switch would be nice, but we'll see if anything is entitled when they get released. And we're also waiting for those mythical Rock Band EU bonus songs. Dunno how many of those we'll get.

Then we're onto the delisted stuff.

I'll pick up You Make My Dreams, and I'm happy that they've confirmed Champagne Supernova as dlc, so I'm HYPE.

Now, Bizarre Love Triangle. I've grown up listening to this version-

https://youtu.be/FOUMm-GBOI0

Which is the superior version imo. So obviously I'm gonna be upset. But I'll still pick it up.

ryan299

Anybody know why I can't buy the Rock Band export key on xbox.com? Just keeps giving me a sorry it can't be completed error. Can't find it on the 360 either

pacman85

Anyone else in the US on XBox One unable to buy things in the Music Store within Rock Band 4? When I click on a song to buy it and it typically brings up the XB1 payment method screen where you pick how you want to pay, it just kinda comes up and goes away after a bit without letting me purchase the song. Quite annoying. I can still buy songs within the XB1 Store on the console or on the web at xbox.com but I would prefer to buy them in the game so I can get them off my wishlist, etc.

Here's this week's stem confirmations, first playthrough scores and DLC Impressions for the week!

"You Make My Dreams" - Hall & Oates - [Guitar: Tier 1 | Bass: Tier 2 | Drums: Tier 0 | Vocals: Tier 4]
Expert Guitar: 91,741 | 100% Notes Hit (328/328) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 78,452 | 100% Notes Hit (377/377) Full Combo | Gold Stars

"One Way Or Another" - Blondie - [Guitar: Tier 4 | Bass: Tier 3 | Drums: Tier 3 | Vocals: Tier 3]
Expert Guitar: 172,366 | 100% Notes Hit (684/684) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 144,427 | 100% Notes Hit (620/620) Full Combo | Gold Stars

Stem Confirmations: "One Way Or Another" was an RB2 export previously so that's confirmed to have legit stems. "You Make My Dreams" unfortunately isn't. There's a muffling over the entire track when missing notes on any instrument, although due to the minimalistic sound of the track it doesn't sound too bad but it's a shame that this is the first Hall & Oates track in the game that features DIY stems. So that's 1 out of 2 this week.

DLC Impressions: Despite it's low tiering, the guitar was a bit more fun than I had anticipated. I was expecting spaced out chords throughout but it gets quite bouncy with double strums switching from single notes to chords and even hammer-on chords, there's even a bit of alt-strumming at one point to catch you out. Overally, pretty solid. Bass is pretty jaunty too, bouncing between note lanes as you strum a few notes at a time. So yeah, overall for a piss easy song, it gets a thumbs up from me!

"One Way Or Another" is a blast on guitar. Constantly switching between single notes and chords throughout it never really stops, the breakdown at the end is pretty sweet as well with erratic zig-zagging all over the fretboard. Worthy of a tier 4 in my opinion. Pretty good! The bass is pretty good too, but it's a lot more repetitve with basic single note sustains moving back and forth slowly, there is some alt-strumming at one point to mix things up though. So yeah, overall a great guitar chart and a solid bass chart. So yeah, I'd recommend both tracks this week. Even though "You Make My Dreams" is pretty easy overall the charts are more than engaging enough plus the song is catchy as fuck!

Best Guitar: "One Way Or Another"
Best Bass: "You Make My Dreams"

vg260

Love some Hall and Oates, but I'm done buying non-separated tracks. I can't remember the last DLC I bought, maybe Aerosmith? I wish they would stop releasing all the tracks they probably passed on previously due to quality issues (no stems) and just release fun music that sounds decent and works properly with the game engine. It seems they are on hard times, and I love what they've done over the years, but it really does feel like a shell of the former quality now, and my patience is getting a bit thin. I'm still not going to buy sub-par content. Surely there's still some fun music with actual stems they can get.

Vimes

I hope this is the start of more game-related cheap licenses. Always wanted stuff like Pentakill, The Black Mages, or Daisuke Ishiwatari. Only thing we've had in the past to my memory is Still Alive.

I hope this is the start of more game-related cheap licenses. Always wanted stuff like Pentakill, The Black Mages, or Daisuke Ishiwatari. Only thing we've had in the past to my memory is Still Alive.

RBN had a few stuff, Super Meat Boy for one, maybe VVVVVV, that might have been a dream.

I'm just waiting for some songs from Transistor. I mean, c'mon, you can't tease us with Impossible in Amplitude and then not put The Spine on Rock Band. It's not fair.

Love some Hall and Oates, but I'm done buying non-separated tracks. I can't remember the last DLC I bought, maybe Aerosmith? I wish they would stop releasing all the tracks they probably passed on previously due to quality issues (no stems) and just release fun music that sounds decent and works properly with the game engine. It seems they are on hard times, and I love what they've done over the years, but it really does feel like a shell of the former quality now, and my patience is getting a bit thin. I'm still not going to buy sub-par content. Surely there's still some fun music with actual stems they can get.

On the plus side, due to how gameplay is centered around track seperation in RBVR and Dropmix, we know these songs will at least have stems when they hit RB4!

Dropmix
"Take Over Control" - Afrojack (Ft. Eva Simons)
"I Don't Like It, I Love It" - Flo Rida (Ft. Robin Thicke, Verdine White)
"The Mother We Share" - CHVRCHES
"Barbra Streisand" - Duck Sauce
"Sexy And I Know It" - LMFAO
"Say My Name" - Odezsa (Ft. Zyra)
"La Mordidita" - Ricky Martin (Ft. Yotuel)
"Temperature" - Sean Paul
"Bangarang" - Skrillex
"Scenario" - A Tribe Called Quest
"Bust A Move" - Young M.C

"It's Tricky" - Run DMC

Rock Band VR
"Pull Me Under" - Dream Theater
"Freewill" - Rush
"Use Somebody" - Kings of Leon
"Casual Party" - Band of Horses
"Bored to Death" - Blink-182
"Mother Mother" - Tracy Bonham
"You & Me" - The Hunna
"Glass House" - Kaleo
"Circles" - Pierce the Veil
"True Confessions" - Blondfire

"I Am Alive" - Twin Atlantic
"I Will Wait For You" - Mumford & Sons
"Birds" - Colplay
"Postone" - Catflish And The Bottlemen
"The Starting Line" - Quitter
"Church Bells" - Carrie Underwood
"Maps" - Maroon 5
"Sweater Weather" - PARKS
"Heaven Knows" - The Pretty Reckless
"Float" - Switchfoot
"Alive" - The Temper Trap
"Grand Canyon" - The Wind And The Wave

"Ain't it Fun" - Paramore
"Black Seas" - Arctic Horror
"Rebel Heart" - The Shelters
"Champagne Supernova" - Oasis
"Cirice" - Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOrXKiSy8ZY
"Counting Stars" - OneRepublic
"Gold on the Ceiling" - The Black Keys
"Lights Out" - AudioDamn!
"Running With The Wild Things" - Against The Current
"Promise Everything" - Basement
"To My Romeo" - Spirit Kid (NO LINKS FOUND)
"(You're) Breaking Up" - The Black Cheers (NO LINKS FOUND)

Vimes

RBN had a few stuff, Super Meat Boy for one, maybe VVVVVV, that might have been a dream.

I'm just waiting for some songs from Transistor. I mean, c'mon, you can't tease us with Impossible in Amplitude and then not put The Spine on Rock Band. It's not fair.

Oh yeah, now that you mention RBN, one of my favorite songs in the whole RB library is Warmachine. Man that's gonna be missed when I finally upgrade to RB4.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat

Nope, not a dream. I got to work on both of those. I wish any level of RBN stuff could come back, even if it's not stuff I worked on. There were a lot of cool songs.

CloudWolf

You know what's weirder than You Make My Dreams not having stems? The fact that for some reason the intro of the song is completely missing.

Top Bottom