• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band Rivals |OT| We're Still Putting The Rock Band Back Together

"Naked in the Rain" by Red Hot Chili Peppers doesn't want to install. If I press install, it disappears and says that "My Lovely Man" finished installing, and then "My Lovely Man" pop ups on the ready to install list...and then if I press to install that, it installs and then "Naked in the Rain" pops up again on the list. And it just loops around endlessly. "My Lovely Man" shows up in the game whether it's in the ready to install list or not, but "Naked in the Rain" never does. Heh.

Oynox

I am seriously surprised that there is a whole instrument bundle available for 100 bucks by now. Tempting. But right now I do not have the space to accommodate those drums. Some questions though:

How is the selection of games you can play with two guitars + microphone?

Is it possible to import songs from previous Rock Band games?

How much are new songs / song packs? Is there any exceptional good value?

I'm so happy most of the delisted content is coming back now, even if Electric Six is still MIA which is a bit shocking.

Also super stoked to stream RB3 tonight, its been a while since i played it.

FyreWulff

I am seriously surprised that there is a whole instrument bundle available for 100 bucks by now. Tempting. But right now I do not have the space to accommodate those drums. Some questions though:

How is the selection of games you can play with two guitars + microphone?

For this generation? Literally just Rock Band 4 for the guitars. GH Live has a different layout that makes the two games incompatible.

You can technically use the microphones on any other singing game, or other console Rock Bands, and GHLive and Rocksmith have singing but I think it's unscored so yeah

Is it possible to import songs from previous Rock Band games?
You can only export Rock Band 3 and Rock Band Blitz these days. 3 requires you to play the game on the previous generation and unlock a cheev (calibration works) then you can pay 15$ inside RB4 to get the entire setlist. Blitz is same way, load it up on last gen, trigger the download for the soundtrack, songs show up in 4.

Also if you find a -new- Rock Band Track pack for your matching console family, you can use the manual code off of it to get the songs off of it for RB4.

The entire track list from Green Day Rock Band is available as regular DLC in the store.

Select tracks from previous games are also being made available as DLC. Those are under the "Rock Band Rewind" label in the store.

How much are new songs / song packs? Is there any exceptional good value?

songs are 2$ US. the bigger the pack/album the better the value. Off the top of my head the London Calling album pack is an exceptionally good value, 18 songs for 20$ US (you have to buy Train in Vain separately). If you're just jumping in now the Rivals Launch Pack and the Harmonix Mega Pack would also be go-to buys.

Oynox

For this generation? Literally just Rock Band 4 for the guitars. GH Live has a different layout that makes the two games incompatible.

You can technically use the microphones on any other singing game, or other console Rock Bands, and GHLive and Rocksmith have singing but I think it's unscored so yeah
Oh I meant "songs" instead of games. Silly typo. Can you play every song with two guitars and microphone (as long as there is voice of course)?

You can only export Rock Band 3 and Rock Band Blitz these days. 3 requires you to play the game on the previous generation and unlock a cheev (calibration works) then you can pay 15$ inside RB4 to get the entire setlist. Blitz is same way, load it up on last gen, trigger the download for the soundtrack, songs show up in 4.

Also if you find a -new- Rock Band Track pack for your matching console family, you can use the manual code off of it to get the songs off of it for RB4.

The entire track list from Green Day Rock Band is available as regular DLC in the store.

Select tracks from previous games are also being made available as DLC. Those are under the "Rock Band Rewind" label in the store.
What a pity that you cannot import all games and even have to pay to import the songs from 3...

Why does the track pad need to be new? Because someone else could have used the code I guess?

songs are 2$ US. the bigger the pack/album the better the value. Off the top of my head the London Calling album pack is an exceptionally good value, 18 songs for 20$ US (you have to buy Train in Vain separately). If you're just jumping in now the Rivals Launch Pack and the Harmonix Mega Pack would also be go-to buys.

Thank you for your answers! Sounds tempting to pick it up now.

FyreWulff

What a pity that you cannot import all games and even have to pay to import the songs from 3...

The payment is there because of the music rights.. otherwise people could just pass around a single disc and export it for everyone, and the rights holders would never go for that. It is 15$ for 83 songs.. which is the cheapest 'pack' to date. We've always had to pay to export any of the games except for Blitz (Blitz songs rights were set up like you were buying a pack off the store since it was digital only)

Why does the track pad need to be new? Because someone else could have used the code I guess?

Yeah, it's a regular XBL/PSN code on the manual, so used runs the risk of an useless code.

Oynox

Alright, thank you both for your helpful answers. 100€ for the whole band pack sounds like a steal so I will probably pick it up soon!

Does anyone know how PDP handles distribution in Europe? I am a bit confused that in their US webstore the band bundle costs $200 but also there is a guitar only bundle for $90 and a second guitar for $70 available. German Amazon only sells a band bundle for 100€, but nothing else. I really need a second guitar though!

EYEL1NER

I saw the news that some delisted songs were available for download, so I checked.
I had the Metallica pack, the Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks pack, the Styx half of the Styx/REO Speedwagon pack, "Toxicity," "BYOB," "Under the Bridge," "Breaking the Girl," "Bang a Gong," "Jerk it Out," and some song by a band called Little Fish that I don't recognize. Hopefully we get more of them soon, though those take out a large portion of my delisted list. Here's hoping the 20-song free pack is next after they get the delisted songs working for everyone; I miss "Rob the Prez-O-Dent."

CloudWolf

"Naked in the Rain" by Red Hot Chili Peppers doesn't want to install. If I press install, it disappears and says that "My Lovely Man" finished installing, and then "My Lovely Man" pop ups on the ready to install list...and then if I press to install that, it installs and then "Naked in the Rain" pops up again on the list. And it just loops around endlessly. "My Lovely Man" shows up in the game whether it's in the ready to install list or not, but "Naked in the Rain" never does. Heh.

Yeah, Naked in the Rain is not working yet. It doesn't even show up for me.

Alright, thank you both for your helpful answers. 100€ for the whole band pack sounds like a steal so I will probably pick it up soon!

Does anyone know how PDP handles distribution in Europe? I am a bit confused that in their US webstore the band bundle costs $200 but also there is a guitar only bundle for $90 and a second guitar for $70 available. German Amazon only sells a band bundle for 100€, but nothing else. I really need a second guitar though!

Unfortunately, distribution in Europe is pure shit. I was looking for a Rivals guitar bundle for the longest time since I wanted a spare guitar once one of my Guitar Hero legacy ones break down, but eventually I just bought a cheap RB4 guitar pack. I think the single guitar pack and the band pack are the only ones available.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I didn't realize Rock Band VR was also doing DLC tracks.

I should pick that up someday, once I get a BT adapter for my desktop anyway.

FyreWulff

I'm guessing no crossover with console platform DLC.

Depends on what you mean. No crossbuy, but so far all of it's DLC has also been DLC or disk on the main Rock Band.

April:
Aerosmith – ”Angel"
Aerosmith – ”Crazy"
Aerosmith – ”I Don't Want to Miss a Thing"
Aerosmith – ”Janie's Got A Gun"
Aerosmith – ”Livin' On The Edge"
Aerosmith – ”Rag Doll"

May:
Green Day – ”Basket Case"
The White Stripes – ”Seven Nation Army"

3$ US each

komarkaze

I was browsing through the Music Store yesterday in the Recommended Songs section based on my library. In there, I saw links to Journey - Don't Stop Believing and RHCP - Californication, which are both delisted. The price doesn't list and when I clicked it, it said there was an error. The songs don't appear in the Music Store if you browse for them. But I have a feeling they are coming soon.

I was browsing through the Music Store yesterday in the Recommended Songs section based on my library. In there, I saw links to Journey - Don't Stop Believing and RHCP - Californication, which are both delisted. The price doesn't list and when I clicked it, it said there was an error. The songs don't appear in the Music Store if you browse for them. But I have a feeling they are coming soon.

Could just be a result of licenses being given back to people who already bought it and that could be a temporary by-product of that. Hope they do become available. "Californication" is one of my favourite DLC songs!

The app has updated, and it's honestly pretty great now. The big thing is the song list, what's available, what's in the challenge plus what you own, and it keeps track of stars as well. Plus apparently the songs owned being incorrect should be fixed in a future RB4 update.

C_9AiMeUIAAaHiW.jpg

Nice.

vg260

The app has updated, and it's honestly pretty great now. The big thing is the song list, what's available, what's in the challenge plus what you own, and it keeps track of stars as well. Plus apparently the songs owned being incorrect should be fixed in a future RB4 update.

Whoa. That is great. Finally a song list feature!

Gleethor

They already said this month would have more songs then last month so...
They'll have to release at least 5 songs next week for this to be true. Guess we'll see

Edit: the actual quote was May would have more *new* songs than April. Which means next week only needs 2 new releases for this to technically be true.

They'll have to release at least 5 songs next week for this to be true. Guess we'll see

Edit: the actual quote was May would have more *new* songs than April. Which means next week only needs 2 new releases for this to technically be true.

Oh, I read that wrong. Well I take that back then

So, looks like they've added all of the Chris Cornell tracks to this vocalist-themed week. The only thing that's not nightmare-onwards difficulty for vocals are the Soundgarden/Audioslave tracks. It's a small thing, but it's a nice little touch after the sad news.

R.I.P. Chris Cornell.

Finally got around to playing this week's DLC!

"Shout" - The Isley Brothers - [Guitar: Tier 2 | Bass: Tier 2 | Vocals: Devil Tier | Drums: Tier 3]
Expert Guitar: 218,915 | 100% Notes Hit (1031/1031) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 114,875 | 100% Notes Hit (610/610) Full Combo | Gold Stars

Stem Confirmation: To put it bluntly, no. This song has no seperated tracks whatsoever. Considering the age of the song it doesn't really surprise me. So yeah, if you're picky about stems stay away from this track.

DLC Impressions: This song being tier 2 on guitar is kind of confusing, there's plenty here that can slip you up easily. Most of the song is just alternating chord and single notes, with occasional chordy gallops every now and then. The chart slows down during the songs various intermissions, it's pretty solid overall on guitar! Bass is pretty repetitve, the bass consists of steady climbing up and down the fretboard with 3 single note flourishes every few measures, it's engaging enough for the duration of the song. Overall pretty solid, iconic song too so I'd say buy it.

FyreWulff

good review, Juke. I picked it up.

Also apparently somewhere between RB3 and 4 I learned how to alt strum fast consistently, so I can gold star White Winged Dove now. FC when

pacman85

That's 2 more songs off the VR setlist. Still plenty of good tracks from that setlist they can release over the next couple of months.

CloudWolf

music licensing is weird dot graphics interchange format

I doubt it has anything to do with music licensing though. These songs were both in Rock Band VR so the song rights were likely already fixed and unless the process became faster, songs need to be send to Microsoft and Sony at least a month before release. Sure, the second is no guarantee (see: Party in the USA), but that was an incredibly rare case.

FyreWulff

I doubt it has anything to do with music licensing though. These songs were both in Rock Band VR so the song rights were likely already fixed and unless the process became faster, songs need to be send to Microsoft and Sony at least a month before release. Sure, the second is no guarantee (see: Party in the USA), but that was an incredibly rare case.

believe it or not even if the song is already signed, they often can run into strange marketing/comarketing requirements/restrictions

Top Bottom