• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

I loved this game seven hours ago and now I'm back to hating it...

Seriously, can someone delete it from my account?

lol Play less. Put the controller down after two or three bad losses. You obviously love the game but just get very frustrated with it. I feel the same way a lot of the time.

Grinchy

Banned
Damn, I just unboxed a Bubbly universal decal with the aerial goals certification. This looks nice. Maybe I should sell it while the value is high?

Unicorn

Damn, I just unboxed a Bubbly universal decal with the aerial goals certification. This looks nice. Maybe I should sell it while the value is high?

I got 1 key for ya!

Also, custom room browser would be amazing for getting into more silly matches easily.

Yes. It's worth 36-40. That cert probably doesn't add much. It's dropping quick so if you aren't attached you could sell it and buy it back later much cheaper.

Also got my hands on painted MDGA
vkpxNOr.png
Dig It

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah that looks so awesome painted.

I think Bubbly looks cool, but after seeing the price drop on all the other decals, I feel like it's smart to just unload it now and pick it up again later if I still want it. At least this way I can stash these keys and grab the new car when it inevitably gets cheap.

TheKeyPit

Banned
lol Play less. Put the controller down after two or three bad losses. You obviously love the game but just get very frustrated with it. I feel the same way a lot of the time.
I'm uninstalling it. There is a League starting in Germany on the 22nd. I'll probably get back to it then, but I don't even want to look at it right now.

Bollocks

solo 3's platinum1 is the fucking try hard zone. either someone ragequits or they intentionally won't ff and just grief and drag the game on for 7 minutes

Grinchy

Banned
The new Neo Tokyo looks kinda crappy. It just looks so washed out and dull for some reason compared to the regular one. Is it all the fog? Or did they really take an axe to all the textures? I can't put my finger on it.

Soulflarz

Banned
The new Neo Tokyo looks kinda crappy. It just looks so washed out and dull for some reason compared to the regular one. Is it all the fog? Or did they really take an axe to all the textures? I can't put my finger on it.

Too much visual noise gets mass hate from the community. They didn't want to repeat aquadome afaik.

Grinchy

Banned
Too much visual noise gets mass hate from the community. They didn't want to repeat aquadome afaik.

It's just weird because it already looked so awesome in the more complex shaped version.

I can't speak for other people, but what I hated about Aquadome wasn't its visual noise but its looks. The metal color that was used across the whole map looked like shit and it was just a big brownish rust-colored mess on the eyes.

If they just used a different color for the metal beams it wouldn't have looked so awful IMO.

Soulflarz

Banned
yeah I'm not sure visual noise is the right word

aquadome reminds me of if a bioshock structure was suddenly very shiny

that is to say, it looks very mediocre

Grinchy

Banned
So how much are the painted decals worth these days? I want to grab some Funny Book and Unmasked painted decals. Is it like 1 key each?

So how much are the painted decals worth these days? I want to grab some Funny Book and Unmasked painted decals. Is it like 1 key each?

Pretty much. Some people try to hardball for two keys on a popular decal or color. The hard part is just finding them. This is the secret right here.

TradeFinder

Put what you are looking for turn on notifications and be the first to a good deal. Tracks across all the trading websites, Reddit and a few Discord channels. Also a good way to see what people are selling and willing to buy items for. Not sure what color you are looking for for funny book but i got white once and it just wasn't very good. The painted color is the shading and colorful ones look best.

Came back again for more tonight. Played pretty damn well by my own standards and shut down a 2v1 in unranked in 30 seconds, was the best I've ever been for those 30 seconds.

Tried the Mantis too. Really like it. Bought it for 6 and sold for 7. Will definitely buy a white one when it's cheaper. Holy crap those white draco wheels arw fetching a price though. RIP white zombas.

Came back again for more tonight. Played pretty damn well by my own standards and shut down a 2v1 in unranked in 30 seconds, was the best I've ever been for those 30 seconds.

Tried the Mantis too. Really like it. Bought it for 6 and sold for 7. Will definitely buy a white one when it's cheaper. Holy crap those white draco wheels arw fetching a price though. RIP white zombas.

Yeah zombas have dropped about 10-20 keys since the dracos came out. I don't mind it though i was never willing sell them and they are still my faves. Draco's have a cool effect but they are a bit too metal for me.

Yeah zombas have dropped about 10-20 keys since the dracos came out. I don't mind it though i was never willing sell them and they are still my faves. Draco's have a cool effect but they are a bit too metal for me.

Yeah I've got a few items that I don't tend to worry about prices with too, they were always something I was going to want. Tbh I'm not big on the Draco's either. I really like the tire effect but the center itself is boring. As a result I think a cheap set of white K2's will do the job a lot better when the price falls since the tire effect is white by default.

Grinchy

Banned
Pretty much. Some people try to hardball for two keys on a popular decal or color. The hard part is just finding them. This is the secret right here.

TradeFinder

Put what you are looking for turn on notifications and be the first to a good deal. Tracks across all the trading websites, Reddit and a few Discord channels. Also a good way to see what people are selling and willing to buy items for. Not sure what color you are looking for for funny book but i got white once and it just wasn't very good. The painted color is the shading and colorful ones look best.

Wow, I had no idea about that site. I was just using RLTracker, Reddit, and the Steam forum when I was trying to do some trades. This site just shows you everything in one place. Very nice.

And yeah I was watching a youtube video with all of the colored decals and the colored Funny Books definitely seemed to look the best. I'm really not sure which ones I want yet, but I'd like to grab a couple along with a couple of the Unmasked for the Dom GT.

edit- Oh and I'm really glad I sold my Bubbly decal for 39 keys yesterday because the price has already dropped quite a bit just today.

rafaelr

Goldrush LAN Day 2 is live.

Lot of big names playing 1v1 on lan. Commentary on the couch by known casters including Johnnyboy. So great to see these guys putting ones on the map. It really is such a great game mode and fun to watch. A lot of freedom for mindgames and aerobatics.

i´ve watched the vod for day 1 so far - gotta say this is probably the best RL esports event i´ve seen. having the players there to talk and analyze their games adds so much and they go into details i´ve never heard discussed on an rlcs stream. also, the atmosphere´s great, lots of jokes and funny banter (and this highlight from day2). hopefully there´ll be lots more to come.

Wow, I had no idea about that site. I was just using RLTracker, Reddit, and the Steam forum when I was trying to do some trades. This site just shows you everything in one place. Very nice.

And yeah I was watching a youtube video with all of the colored decals and the colored Funny Books definitely seemed to look the best. I'm really not sure which ones I want yet, but I'd like to grab a couple along with a couple of the Unmasked for the Dom GT.

edit- Oh and I'm really glad I sold my Bubbly decal for 39 keys yesterday because the price has already dropped quite a bit just today.
Well done. Making that money.

i´ve watched the vod for day 1 so far - gotta say this is probably the best RL esports event i´ve seen. having the players there to talk and analyze their games adds so much and they go into details i´ve never heard discussed on an rlcs stream. also, the atmosphere´s great, lots of jokes and funny banter (and this highlight from day2). hopefully there´ll be lots more to come.

It was really great to watch. I always say it but the RL community reminds me so much of the FGC. Such a tight knit passionate group of players. RLCS is awesome but seeing them sitting on the couch sharing their knowledge and love for the game was a great thing to watch.

J. Bravo

My GF and I are moving cross country to San Diego, and I haven't played a significant amount of RL in a week. I'm not sure when I'm gonna be able to justify paying for internet. I'm gonna be so so so bad when I can finally play online again lol.

Edit: otoh, maybe I'll play some other games!

My GF and I are moving cross country to San Diego, and I haven't played a significant amount of RL in a week. I'm not sure when I'm gonna be able to justify paying for internet. I'm gonna be so so so bad when I can finally play online again lol.

Edit: otoh, maybe I'll play some other games!
But you are gonna be in the home of rocket league man! You can meet Psyonix!

Is it just me or is the market saturation shrinking crate by crate? Maybe I'm just having bad luck with the items I'm looking for but I swear each time a new crate comes out it seems less of each item is reaching the market as I'm finding the same names over and over now.

Only reason I ask is I'm kinda worried about the painted Mantis. Figure it's going to sell well due to it's hitbox but I'm relying on the price going down not up. At least the Draco has taken top spot though which gives me a bit less concern.

Is it just me or is the market saturation shrinking crate by crate? Maybe I'm just having bad luck with the items I'm looking for but I swear each time a new crate comes out it seems less of each item is reaching the market as I'm finding the same names over and over now.

Only reason I ask is I'm kinda worried about the painted Mantis. Figure it's going to sell well due to it's hitbox but I'm relying on the price going down not up. At least the Draco has taken top spot though which gives me a bit less concern.

It took white endo two months and a new crate with a car to hit under 40 keys? Yeah it's gonna be awhile. Other colors will drop but white will remain pricey for some time.

This had me stressed.

Took it in overtime though.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm hoping the 20xx value drops a lot because it's the only universal decal I want.

I might grab a Dominus MGDA though, it looks quite nice

It took white endo two months and a new crate with a car to hit under 40 keys? Yeah it's gonna be awhile. Other colors will drop but white will remain pricey for some time.

This had me stressed.

Took it in overtime though.

True. I didn't watch the prices of Endo towards the release of the nitro crate but it sure did take a while. At least now it's at around 30 but I'll probably be waiting a while for the Mantis to fall to the same. I've been thinking about the other colors to be honest but I struggle finding one I'd be happy with on both teams. The freedom of white working with any primary makes it too attractive, but the black looks too close to stock.

I'd love a purple or something but eventually I'll end up getting sick of being locked to a color and lose value selling it for a white one. If only those Zomba's never released we'd be picking these up dirt cheap XD

I'm hoping the 20xx value drops a lot because it's the only universal decal I want.

I might grab a Dominus MGDA though, it looks quite nice

It's at 28-29 and bubbly is already nearing 30. I know 20xx will overtake it soon. No clue if it goes back up a few or stays where it's at. It's a really good decal there won't be a new one for awhile. I would be surprised if it keeps dropping but who knows.

True. I didn't watch the prices of Endo towards the release of the nitro crate but it sure did take a while. At least now it's at around 30 but I'll probably be waiting a while for the Mantis to fall to the same. I've been thinking about the other colors to be honest but I struggle finding one I'd be happy with on both teams. The freedom of white working with any primary makes it too attractive, but the black looks too close to stock.

I'd love a purple or something but eventually I'll end up getting sick of being locked to a color and lose value selling it for a white one. If only those Zomba's never released we'd be picking these up dirt cheap XD

That's why I like white wheels and boosts. Universal. If there was a really good black wheel aside from uncommon I would consider it. I used Black Sunbursts for a very long time.The black Neo-thermal boost is nice as well.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I seriously watched the video and went right into ranked and made a conscience effort to try enter goal defending position like that whenever possible. Of course it's hard to break a habit immediately but I'm working on it. But tonight is one of my derp nights, so best I get back to work anyhow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA87OomG27g

IMPLEMENT THIS
I beg of you
I can not tell you how many people were proper 1150 GCs s3 and did not do this. No one does this in mid rank of even subjectively high. It's essential, please watch and implement to your game.

The better your positioning the better you are.

This x 1000. So many people (even in GC) are such shitty defenders and the root problem is almost always poor positioning vs mechanics. They either don't rotate to goal in first place OR they do it the wrong way -- powersliding into middle (hate this!) OR cutting rotation short so they have less awareness of teammate/s behind them (not to mention making easy saves more difficult)

And video doesn't touch on this but if you already have someone tending goal set up similarly behind the far post so you can drive up it and over goal to defend backboard passes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA87OomG27g

IMPLEMENT THIS
I beg of you
I can not tell you how many people were proper 1150 GCs s3 and did not do this. No one does this in mid rank of even subjectively high. It's essential, please watch and implement to your game.

The better your positioning the better you are.

Huh... I mean I do this a fair bit anyway, but it'd never occurred to me that it's the prime defensive position for some reason. Gonna have to try make a habit of doing it almost all the time.

Pejo

Oof, I'm nowhere near as good as the average player on GAF, but I thought I was doing pretty ok online. I was getting a lot of 1st and 2nd place on my team, winning a fair amount of games.

Then last night sometime I got bumped into Veteran from Pro, and back to the absolute shit scraping bottom of the barrel I go. It's pretty incredible that I'm only near the middle/bottom of the pack, and you see the kind of skill that I've been seeing in just random unranked.

A couple times I even got some great players on my team and I felt like I was contributing nothing. I just did my best to not run into them and played defensively.

It's kinda a cool thing though, because now I have a whole new set of skills to work on.

Also got into trying trading out for the first time on RLtracker. Had no idea freshly purchased keys were on a 7 day cooldown and ended up looking like an ass to a guy I was trying to trade to. You live and learn!

By the way, I'm probably late to the party, but if anyone wants a Breakout Type-S, I'd gladly trade one for any of the other import bodies.

Oof, I'm nowhere near as good as the average player on GAF, but I thought I was doing pretty ok online. I was getting a lot of 1st and 2nd place on my team, winning a fair amount of games.

Then last night sometime I got bumped into Veteran from Pro, and back to the absolute shit scraping bottom of the barrel I go. It's pretty incredible that I'm only near the middle/bottom of the pack, and you see the kind of skill that I've been seeing in just random unranked.

A couple times I even got some great players on my team and I felt like I was contributing nothing. I just did my best to not run into them and played defensively.

It's kinda a cool thing though, because now I have a whole new set of skills to work on.

Also got into trying trading out for the first time on RLtracker. Had no idea freshly purchased keys were on a 7 day cooldown and ended up looking like an ass to a guy I was trying to trade to. You live and learn!

By the way, I'm probably late to the party, but if anyone wants a Breakout Type-S, I'd gladly trade one for any of the other import bodies.
Your title rank (veteran, pro, etc.) is just based on the amount of time you play. It will go up as you get exp from playing games and has zero effect on the quality of opponent and teammate you see. MMR (matchmaking ranking) is the number that matters, and that changes based on whether you win or lose a match. Your MMR is different for each playlist, including unranked. One way to look at ranks (Silver I, Gold II, etc.) is that they each represent a different MMR threshold. For example, in ranked 2v2s a Gold I rank has an MMR of 590 to 611. Go down enough and you'll change rank to a Silver III, go up and you'll change to a Gold II.

Also, you will always find players who seem a lot better than you, even after you've played literally 1,000+ hours. Try not to focus on what they can and can't do, just work on improving your game slowly and playing as much as you can while still having fun. Good luck in the grind!

Pejo

Your title rank (veteran, pro, etc.) is just based on the amount of time you play. It will go up as you get exp from playing games and has zero effect on the quality of opponent and teammate you see. MMR (matchmaking ranking) is the number that matters, and that changes based on whether you win or lose a match. Your MMR is different for each playlist, including unranked. One way to look at ranks (Silver I, Gold II, etc.) is that they each represent a different MMR threshold. For example, in ranked 2v2s a Gold I rank has an MMR of 590 to 611. Go down enough and you'll change rank to a Silver III, go up and you'll change to a Gold II.

Also, you will always find players who seem a lot better than you, even after you've played literally 1,000+ hours. Try not to focus on what they can and can't do, just work on improving your game slowly and playing as much as you can while still having fun. Good luck in the grind!

Is there a way to see your MMR in the game? I didn't even know that the metric existed.

Soulflarz

Banned
yep, don't look at title if it's not colored.

Ik people who hit top 10 leaderboards as pc starting players who hit it in 60s and ik rocketeers who aren't out of gold.

As for the post defense, it's also all but required to save powershots. I can't tell you how often I just powershot a guy whos sitting centerish and then rebound or let a teammate- it's ridiculously hard to clear to one side when looking straight at the ball when compared to sideline defending.

Edit: to put it into perspective- say youre sideways in net, pick any centerish spot. Say I powershot it very high and fast. You're almost always going to hit it straight up at best in your clear attempt. As such, I can rebound it. You want to avoid creating bad defensive situations.

Just curious if anyone else does something I've started using a lot recently. So instead of front flipping into the ball I've started using the neutral double jump as I make contact for long clears. It's something I never really used until I started getting used to flicks, but I find I can get some real nice clears and passes out of it and for some reason it seems like the other team often don't see it coming and expect a much lower shot. Anyone else use this? Is it a bad habit, say less power etc?

I don't wanna get too used to doing it if it's actually gonna be a worse option, but it seems to be working out for me.

Soulflarz

Banned
Just curious if anyone else does something I've started using a lot recently. So instead of front flipping into the ball I've started using the neutral double jump as I make contact for long clears. It's something I never really used until I started getting used to flicks, but I find I can get some real nice clears and passes out of it and for some reason it seems like the other team often don't see it coming and expect a much lower shot. Anyone else use this? Is it a bad habit, say less power etc?

I don't wanna get too used to doing it if it's actually gonna be a worse option, but it seems to be working out for me.

Need more context- driving straight usually works.

Need more context- driving straight usually works.

Oh right, yeah I've only really been using it for straight on clears to get that extra bit of height. Anything with much of an angle I figure you probably can't get the power to push it anywhere but forwards and up. I've been trying go for...I dunno sort of a midair flick when trying for a sharper angle and height, but it's only an option with slower moving stuff or if you're travelling the same way as the ball.

Never really tried much of either of these before learning a bit of ground play.

Top Bottom