• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar Games Announces 4 New Versions of L.A. Noire coming November 14, 2017

No one seems to know what he's been up to since Team Bondi was shuttered and Whore of the Orient was outright cancelled. Strangely enough, a chunk of Team Bondi managed to find work by helping out on Happy Feet Two.
Yeah I know a few of them ended up at Animal Logic doing movie special effects/animation (Lego movies, etc.), and some worked for KMM on the Mad Max movie. I guess a lot of the tech in L.A. Noire was kind of relevant to movies too, even beyond the normal similarities in some roles between game dev and movie work.

m00h

Banned
I want R* games on my Switch, but I couldn't care less about this game. I feel bad if I don't get this game, because it may negatively influence the future of the R* games on the Switch, but I also feel bad to get this game, because I really don't care about it and probably won't ever touch it. Quite a dilemma.

Switch's tech is closer to the PS3/360 than it is to the PS4/XBO. I'm sure it will look/perform better than the PS3/360 versions but don't expect much else.

Handheld mode, yes.. But not docked mode. Docked mode switch is 2.5-3x weaker than PS4 in GPU power at the most after you count mixed precision mode(if devs take advantage of it) and newer architecture than xbone/PS4.

Currently without a Switch but have been noticing it popping up more in stores in town, so I plan to get another one soon. I was tempted to watch a LP of this game but after the rumor popped up, I decide against it. Glad I did because I wanted to try the game but never had the chance to. Hopefully I can pick up a Switch again in the near future and get it.

I want R* games on my Switch, but I couldn't care less about this game. I feel bad if I don't get this game, because it may negatively influence the future of the R* games on the Switch, but I also feel bad to get this game, because I really don't care about it and probably won't ever touch it. Quite a dilemma.
Personally, If I was you, I wouldn't buy it in that case. Buying a game in the hopes of getting what you actually want is a waste of your money, especially on Nintendo systems as that rarely works out. Besides, I'd like to think Rockstar would know that just because a port of LA Noire may not sell well on the Switch doesn't mean their other games couldn't sell well

m00h

Banned
Personally, If I was you, I wouldn't buy it in that case. Buying a game in the hopes of getting what you actually want is a waste of your money, especially on Nintendo systems as that rarely works out. Besides, I'd like to think Rockstar would know that just because a port of LA Noire may not sell well on the Switch doesn't mean their other games couldn't sell well

That would be a rational way to handle it. But on the other hand, I would murder to see a GTAV Switch port, or even Max Payne 3.

Durante

I've never played L.A. Noire, but it seems like something that can be a good fit for VR. I'll certainly check that version out.

oti

Banned
Switch version costs 10 Euros more on Amazon Germany. Great...

I've never played L.A. Noire, but it seems like something that can be a good fit for VR. I'll certainly check that version out.

VR would be the only way I would consider re-playing this game to be honest. Sounds really cool.

VR would be the only way I would consider re-playing this game to be honest. Sounds really cool.
Also at the biggest Dutch retailer Bol.com

I'm not buying it with increased Switch tax.

Rellik

Something about Rockstar San Diego not knowing how the engine really worked after GTA IV, which made them break it.

They had to call the Benz.

And the Benz is no longer there so forget RDR.

Could be related to what @ZhugeEx was talking about on Twitter.

For those who always ask why, blame the price of game carts that Nintendo charge to publishers.

32GB carts are ridiculously expensive.

If a publisher wants to put a game on a 32GB cart on Switch it costs 60% more for them then it would for a 50GB Blu-Ray on PS4/XB1.

Your game needs to be less than 8GB (because 8GB carts are cheaper) if you want to make the same margin as PS4/XB1 Blu-Ray disc.

Will the PC version be updated with the new graphics?

No.

Mithos

32GB carts are ridiculously expensive.

If a publisher wants to put a game on a 32GB cart on Switch it costs 60% more for them then it would for a 50GB Blu-Ray on PS4/XB1.

I want to see the calculation of this with actual numbers, because is still seems like greedy publisher adds €/$10 because they "can" kinda thing.

OR a blu-ray disc/per disc is way way way more expensive then what people have claimed through the years here on GAF, and/or what I have thought because of that.

This is actually awesome news, I remember being blasted away while playing L.A. Noire, it is simply one of my favorite games from last gen. This will help the game get more recognition, and hopefully LA Noire 2 is in the works.

CamHostage

Because RDR was a complete mess, coding-wise and it was more or less a miracle is ran at all on PS3 and Xbox 360. To make it work well on anything else would require a complete remake.

Okay, so, then, let's do that.

If Rockstar got an outside studio to do just the Switch version of LA Noire (not confirmed, but somebody on this thread seemed to have info on development,) it's surely an even better investment of time and money to hire somebody for RDR on Switch/PC/PS4/Xb1. (Plus, how good is the codebase for LA Noire even? The studio that made it closed in a hurry, whatever Rockstar's internal teams had to do in intervention was done so long ago that documentation can't be strong on their side either, and that game had its share of nightmare development issues as well, so how did this port so easy?) I understand that Leeds and Toronto and seemingly every other Rockstar office on the planet is busy making GTA Online content (a good investment, to be fair), but somebody there is putting time into Noire, and bless them for the insanity of going against the GTAO business plan, but gain some sanity afterwards and put your efforts into cracking open and rebuilding RDR, please. Hire some folks and get this done. (BTW, start with Undead Nightmare if you wouldn't mind, maybe the "fun" part of RDR would be a better thing to bring back first since it'd get less scrutiny over being a perfect port?)

Hattori

Banned
Only it's nothing like it. There is very little shooting in LA Noire. Most of it is about driving around and investigating the crimes scenes. It's really great if you like games with heavy story focus but otherwise you may be bored. I for one loved that big Hollywood corporation conspiracy stuff and how all the bits and pieces came together at the end.
that's actually what I like about GTA/Mafia games, just driving around and progressing the story

Okay, so, then, let's do that.

If Rockstar got an outside studio to do just the Switch version of LA Noire (not confirmed, but somebody on this thread seemed to have info on development,) it's surely an even better investment of time and money to hire somebody for RDR on Switch/PC/PS4/Xb1. (Plus, how good is the codebase for LA Noire even? The studio that made it closed in a hurry, whatever Rockstar's internal teams had to do in intervention was done so long ago that documentation can't be strong on their side either, and that game had its share of nightmare development issues as well, so how did this port so easy?) I understand that Leeds and Toronto and seemingly every other Rockstar office on the planet is busy making GTA Online content (a good investment, to be fair), but somebody there is putting time into Noire, and bless them for the insanity of going against the GTAO business plan, but gain some sanity afterwards and put your efforts into cracking open and rebuilding RDR, please. Hire some folks and get this done. (BTW, start with Undead Nightmare if you wouldn't mind, maybe the "fun" part of RDR would be a better thing to bring back first since it'd get less scrutiny over being a perfect port?)

I don't think development works at all like you are assuming. Just because LA Noire had a turbulent development, doesn't mean it's code is a mess. It's very likely and possible that RDR's code is a cluster fuck, and beyond saving, which would also explain why it never got a pc version. They'd essentially have to rebuild it, which then becomes a cost/reward situation. Is it worth all of that money and effort to recreate a port, especially with a RDR2 on the way? Whereas LA Noire was likely far less difficult and expensive to port, and thus far less risky. It's not an either/or situation.

Is Base reliable? Screw paying £45 for the game on Switch if I don't have to.

EDIT: On a side note, that box art is snazzy. Really weird seeing it on a Switch box as well.

Yeah I got Super Bomberman R and 1 2 Switch from them at launch without any trouble.

I quite liked LA Noire, surprised to see the gaf hate.

We tend to have game pricing 1-1 in my experience. I’d expect $29.99 maybe $35 at the most. That £29.99 includes VAT (sales tax) remember.

I might pick up a physical copy for 30, never got to play the dlc, at the least. Shame burglary and Bunco aren't being added. Could have raised the price for that.

CamHostage

I don't think development works at all like you are assuming ... They'd essentially have to rebuild it, which then becomes a cost/reward situation. Is it worth all of that money and effort to recreate a port, especially with a RDR2 on the way? Whereas LA Noire was likely far less difficult and expensive to port, and thus far less risky. It's not an either/or situation.

Unless/until Red Dead 2 has zombies in it, there's reason to crack that codebase open on RDR and see what's salvageable or replaceable. They're going to eventually have to port it to iPhone one day or another anyway...

BFIB

I will probably get this on the Switch. I played it on the PS3, but skipped the DLC, but some word of warning to people who have never played this. Do NOT marathon this game. I felt it played a lot better if I'd do a case a day. The repetition here is real, which actually makes this a really good choice for the Switch in shorter sessions.

I'm really baffled about this announcement though.

andthebeatgoeson

I will probably get this on the Switch. I played it on the PS3, but skipped the DLC, but some word of warning to people who have never played this. Do NOT marathon this game. I felt it played a lot better if I'd do a case a day. The repetition here is real, which actually makes this a really good choice for the Switch in shorter sessions.

I'm really baffled about this announcement though.
Good to know.

Olengie

93fgCnp.jpg

I want this to be the box art.

Bandit1

Noir is one of my favourite film genres and Shenmue is my favourite game.
I'm going to love this game, right?

Haven't played Shenmue, but being a fan of film noir, for me it was awesome just getting to see L.A. recreated in that time period. Aesthetically everything is spot on, the clothes, the cars, the products, everything. Gameplay wise it's a little mediocre, but serviceable. The story kind of has its ups and down but I really enjoyed it, and it definitely has many of the hallmarks of film noir. If you've never played it certainly give it a shot!

Something about Rockstar San Diego not knowing how the engine really worked after GTA IV, which made them break it.

They had to call the Benz.

Didnt the GTA4 / RDR engine primary get made at R* San Diego?

So many bad stories came out of that studio during that time. I think it was less technical impenitence and more just mismanagement and burn out from months and months (and months) of crush and a rotating door of talent.

Great game, will get it when it's cheap.

Hopefully this means RDR and GTA4 will make their way over as well but I ain't expecting it.

Didnt the GTA4 / RDR engine primary get made at R* San Diego?

So many bad stories came out of that studio during that time. I think it was less technical impenitence and more just mismanagement and burn out from months and months (and months) of crush and a rotating door of talent.

It was mismanagement, that's why they had to call in leslie benzies to help produce the game. L.a Noire and max payne 3 suffered similar situations

Ricker

Probably been posted but wheres the reel of bloopers and glitches for this game...it's like 10 times worst then Andromeda and I dont think that will ever get a remaster in a few years...lmao,what a weird decision.

Top Bottom