• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar Games Announces 4 New Versions of L.A. Noire coming November 14, 2017

It mostly launch tax. Once the system has built up it's library and is a few years old it's much more difficult to justify a $10 or whatever price increase even if it is more expensive to use cartridges.

Pro-tip: this will get worse as the generation drags on, and even worse than that when next gen begins in roughly 3 years.

Games will always get bigger, and AAA game sizes have consistently outpaced non-disc media storage for the better part of 25 years.

Switch's tech is closer to the PS3/360 than it is to the PS4/XBO. I'm sure it will look/perform better than the PS3/360 versions but don't expect much else.
The Switch, particularly in portable mode, is much closer to the PS3/360 just in raw GPU power. The tech itself is actually slightly more modern than the XB1/PS4. There are other numerous advantages that the Switch has over the 360/PS3, so it will be interesting to see if the devs will take advantage of it.

lupinko

They really should've just remastered or ported RDR instead. :/

I'm guessing Team Bondi's work required less effort to port than Rockstar San Diego's.

Fredrik

lol Rockstar!

OTOH, is the game worth a play at all?
89 on metacritic
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/la-noire

If you haven't played it it's totaly worth a play-through, for me it was among the top 10 best games last generation. If you've already played it then it might not be worth it though considering how story heavy it is and you'll already know the story. But I'm going in day 1 anyway, I loved the game and I want to see the visual enhancements in 4K on XB1X.

Print_Dog

Played this all the way through on PS3. Will probably buy it again eventually. Never found those few remaining cars for that platinum. Hope they add some more quality of life features.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
This will sell on the Switch not sure how many units it will sell.

wouldn't sell as much as GTA V

Hopefully Bully and GTA V come to the switch

I wouldn't mind if the switch got a few more remasters. So long as they throw in a new game once in a while to.

jmizzal

I have GCU so it will be $39.99 on Switch for me anyways, prob will have a $10 cert from preordering Star Wars battlefront 2, it it will be $29.99 :)

Ridley327

What has Brendan McNamara been up to since 2011 anyway?

No one seems to know what he's been up to since Team Bondi was shuttered and Whore of the Orient was outright cancelled. Strangely enough, a chunk of Team Bondi managed to find work by helping out on Happy Feet Two.

KAP151

One of the worst games r☆ has made. Driving was horrible. Gameplay was horrible. Facial stuff was its only strong point.

Why.....

The_Balm

I'm pumped. I know it didn't get the best reviews, but it've want to play it. A remaster is just the thing to push me to get it.

Laieon

I'm down. Never got around to playing the original, but it always looked good. Definitely picking it up for Switch.

Drain You

Pro-tip: this will get worse as the generation drags on, and even worse than that when next gen begins in roughly 3 years.

Games will always get bigger, and AAA game sizes have consistently outpaced non-disc media storage for the better part of 25 years.

Can't tell if I'm picking up what you're saying, so I could be way off. Are you saying games have gotten more expensive over the past 25 years from a consumers standpoint or just that non-disc media will always be a step behind the size of AAA games.

Ok now that I typed that out I think you meant the latter, which I agree with.

On Topic - I was always interested in playing L.A. Noire and for whatever reason never got around to it. Ill have to check out the VR version at a friends house, might hold off on playing the whole game till I inevitably purchase a Switch.

Pif

Banned
Will probably get it on Switch even though I own a PS4/PC.

I wanna see that thing running on a portable. Ditto for Skyrim.

Dueck

Banned
I liked the game until
it became obvious everything you did throughout 90% of it was entirely meaningless.

Maybe the reason they are not bothering with a remaster of RDR is because is it "technically" playable on PS4 (thru PSNow) and XB1 (thru BC). Hell there's even a reprint of RDR GOTY edition with the Xbox One logo.

Noire is not and hasn't been available on PSNow or XB1 BC. Which by this logic, it means that we could also get MP3 remaster.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I'm gonna buy it, looks close enough to mafia II so I should be able to enjoy it.
Only it's nothing like it. There is very little shooting in LA Noire. Most of it is about driving around and investigating the crimes scenes. It's really great if you like games with heavy story focus but otherwise you may be bored. I for one loved that big Hollywood corporation conspiracy stuff and how all the bits and pieces came together at the end.

Kabanossi

One of the worst games r☆ has made. Driving was horrible. Gameplay was horrible. Facial stuff was its only strong point.

Why.....

If the game sells well Rockstar knows there’s demand for a sequel.

If a sequel is ever released I’m sure it’ll be a lot better than the first one.

Only it's nothing like it. There is very little shooting in LA Noire. Most of it is about driving around and investigating the crimes scenes. It's really great if you like games with heavy story focus but otherwise you may be bored. I for one loved that big Hollywood corporation conspiracy stuff and how all the bits and pieces came together at the end.

Most cases were resolved with a repetitive chase that always ended with you killing the perp. The homicide desk was literally cut and paste. The world was dead. Cole Phillips is one of the most shallow protagonists I can remember. He was surrounded by far more interesting characters that would be more interesting to play as.

Even the crime investigation scenes were completely uninspired.

In a goddamn game where investigation is the main conceit

MCN

Banned
But... why? Why this game, of all the games from their last-gen catalog? Why not Red Dead Redemption (which never had PC release to begin with) before it's sequel comes out, or even GTA IV?

Because RDR was a complete mess, coding-wise and it was more or less a miracle is ran at all on PS3 and Xbox 360. To make it work well on anything else would require a complete remake.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Most cases were resolved with a repetitive chase that always ended with you killing the perp. The homicide desk was literally cut and paste. The world was dead. Cole Phillips is one of the most shallow protagonists I can remember. He was surrounded by far more interesting characters that would be more interesting to play as.

Even the crime investigation scenes were completely uninspired.

In a goddamn game where investigation is the main conceit
Let agree to disagree. Loved the game. :)

jxN3

Red Dead Redemption really must be impossible to port.

I'm legit convinced we literally are never going to see another version of that game.

Because RDR was a complete mess, coding-wise and it was more or less a miracle is ran at all on PS3 and Xbox 360. To make it work well on anything else would require a complete remake.

I don't understand. Miracle it ran on ps360? It was running on the rage engine from GTIV.
Do you have any links regarding the this, like the coding was a complete mess? First I've heard of it.

People who are complaining that we won't get a RDR port. Remember we're getting RDR2 now :).

Top Bottom