• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar Games Announces 4 New Versions of L.A. Noire coming November 14, 2017

silva1991

I'm happy about it as a Switch owner and a Rockstar junkie but I can't really be that happy because it's not Bully 2. An exclusive Bully 2 on Switch is my dream.

I'm certain a brand new Bully with high end visuals won't even be on the Switch lol.

I think there was a rumor thread about it like a month ago.

Which reminds me I think Bully is cheap as fuck on PS4 store and I need to grab it.

Tohsaka

Loved the original, in for either PS4 Pro or Switch with some caveats.

1. 60 FPS and downsampling on PS4 Pro (HDTV only for me)

OR

2. 720p/30fps and 1080/30fps when docked for Switch

It won't be 60FPS, even the PC version is locked at 30. Unlocking it messes with the lip sync and physics, supposedly.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well they're porting a PS360 title that can run on Switch but they haven't announced any graphical enhancement, so i don't think there is a chance of having them on board with their new titles that are designed for PS4 and xbox One.

It's a nice step but i hope they'll put out an exclusive title like GTA Chinatown Wars instead of scaled down titles.
That's probably true. Still, I'd be happy just having Vice City, RDR and Bully on Switch so I can play them on my bed.

jett

D-Member
Shouldn't need to be a test. L.A Noire is one of Rockstar's successful IP pillars next to GTA and RDR due to selling over 6 million copies. At least according to Take Two.

Really, a pillar? Bro pls. It sold well because nearly every anything slapped with the Rockstar name seems to sell well.

It won't be 60FPS, even the PC version is locked at 30. Unlocking it messes with the lip sync and physics, supposedly.

You're right. I wonder how would the VR version work if the faces are captured at 30fps. Here's hoping the raw footage of faces are captured at higher fps but they didn't utilize them for the original PC port.

Really, a pillar? Bro pls. It sold well because nearly every anything slapped with the Rockstar name seems to sell well.

They still want it to be a big franchise. A sequel is definitely in the works. I hope it's developed by a Rockstar studio though.

jett

D-Member
You're right. I wonder how would the VR version work if the faces are captured at 30fps. Here's hoping the raw footage of faces are captured at higher fps but they didn't utilize them for the original PC port.

They still want it to be a big franchise. A sequel is definitely in the works. I hope it's developed by a Rockstar studio though.

In the works by who? Team Bondi doesn't even exist anymore.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Yes please... No more fucking LOADING

Seriously. The way I see it, it's just a matter of porting the PC version with a few important points to address.

1) 60 FPS
2) Fix the artificial loading (and improve load times in general where possible)
3) Include all of the DLC content

MattyG

Banned
I'll play again on Switch if it runs well and looks good. It's kind of fucking wild that this is something coming to Switch, really. If you told me I'd be able to play this and Skyrim on a handheld in 6 years back then I would've been like nah, you're full of shit.

Seriously. The way I see it, it's just a matter of porting the PC version with a few important points to address.

1) 60 FPS
2) Fix the artificial loading (and improve load times in general where possible)
3) Include all of the DLC content
Still haven't played it on PC because of the loading...

Always been fairly interested in this game, so I'll likely pick up the Switch version.

I wonder if Rockstar will port over GTAV as well. I wouldn't be interested in it but I'm sure a ton of other people would be.

Genuinely surprised this thread is so long considering how poorly received this game is and how little people seemed to care about it... Are people this happy that Rockstar is supporting the switch with a throw-away remaster of a dead franchise that never was?

Mario and Xenoblade are coming out this fall Switch owners -- please don't waste your time and money on what is likely to be a full priced remaster when you've got better options. And definitely don't buy this game based on the hopes of getting a RDR or GTAV remaster. If they were going to port one of those exponentially more popular series, they would have chosen that versus LA Noire.

Fat4all

Banned
I always really liked L.A. Noire, I've been looking for an excuse to replay it not too long ago.

Hopefully this means they are considering a sequel or some sort.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Hahahawut?

This is just the.... strangest fuckin thing. there were a couple bright points in this game but overall it was monotonous as fuuuuuuuuuck...

honestly really enjoyed watching mah dude elevate in the police force. From beat cop to homicide but the game itself for the most part felt.... kind of shite? Like there are only a few things I can actually remember super well about it.

Late game spoiler talk:
The last Killer was a flamethrower dude who picked up a serious pack of PTSD in WW2 right? Like accidentally killed civilians and stuff clearing out caves or something? Am I remembering that correctly?

and as mentioned a few times so far - I don't feel this Face Tech is gonna age super well. All those weird af "I think your lying" speeches in glorious 4k ...

Option 1. Unsure
"Well Janice we did find his brand of smokes in your house. We know you guys were seeing each other before he got hired at BigStrong Iron ... are you sure he didn't contact you?

Option 2. Suspect she's a liar
"YOU FUCKING HARLOT! I've been dealing with dames like you ALL MY LIFE! I know you cheated on him! And stole your fathers retirement watch to buy the gun! I'll Kill You!!!"

this game lol

jmizzal

Genuinely surprised this thread is so long considering how poorly received this game is and how little people seemed to care about it... Are people this happy that Rockstar is supporting the switch with a throw-away remaster of a dead franchise that never was?

Mario and Xenoblade are coming out this fall Switch owners -- please don't waste your time and money on what is likely to be a full priced remaster when you've got better options. And definitely don't buy this game based on the hopes of getting a RDR or GTAV remaster. If they were going to port one of those exponentially more popular series, they would have chosen that versus LA Noire.

Poorly received?

The game has a 89 metacritic score, 7.8 user score with over 1,000 reviews
And on Steam it has a "very positive" score with over 10,000 reviews

Just cuz there are a bunch of vocal people on gaf that dont like the game doesnt make it poorly received, there are plenty of people in this thread that like the game.

I for one think its one of the best games of last Gen

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
FUCK THAT. THIS IS ONE OF THE WORST GAMES I HAVE EVER PLAYED IN MY LIFE. OUT OF ALL THE GAMES YOU COULD HAVE MADE A NEXT GEN VERSION OF,
YOU CHOSE THIS? JESUS CHRIST, WAS LESLIE BENZIES THE ONLY ONE IN THERE WITH HALF A FUCKING BRAIN??????

FUCK YOU, ROCKSTAR. FUCK YOU. I AM IN A FULL-ON VISCERAL HATE MODE, AND I NEVER GO INTO IT, BUT THIS GAME IS THAT FUCKING BAD.

And fuck you, Brendan McNamara.

It's a terrible game.
Yeah but it's a third party game on the Switch.

Tookay

This whole thing reeks of T2 needing a game this holiday, but not wanting to expend their resources solely on the Switch with a GTA V port and not wanting to remaster RDR (because it's either held together by duct tape or because it would eat into RDR2's sales).

So we're left with... this.

Switch version will be mine. No way I'm not taking part in this iconic movement.

Who is left, now that we have Rockstar and Bethesda on Switch?

Late game spoiler talk:
The last Killer was a flamethrower dude who picked up a serious pack of PTSD in WW2 right? Like accidentally killed civilians and stuff clearing out caves or something? Am I remembering that correctly?

yeah in fact he was under the command of Cole in the war and Cole made him kill the civilians that made him start down the path of him going mad, Cole is not a good person

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Will buy, got pretty into the PS3 version but darn did it make my OG FAT go into overdrive, probably why it died.
So I'm looking forward to revisiting LA.

Poorly received?

The game has a 89 metacritic score, 7.8 user score with over 1,000 reviews
And on Steam it has a "very positive" score with over 10,000 reviews

Just cuz there are a bunch of vocal people on gaf that dont like the game doesnt make it poorly received, there are plenty of people in this thread that like the game.

I for one think its one of the best games of last Gen

Review scores (especially aggregate) are not the end-all, be-all of reception... MGS4 and MGS5 have both received a 94 and 95, respectively, on Metacritic. Most people would agree that both of those review scores do not accurately reflect the quality of the game, and most people would also dock at least 10 points off of each to more accurately reflect the quality of the game.

LA Noire reviewed well but it's actual reception is not accurately reflected in it's Metascore. If you want to hang your hat on a Metacritic score and you personally liked the game, that's fine, but using that in order to gauge reception is a fairly weak foundation to build upon.

NastyBook

"I like your ASSSS!"

"You're lying, Morgan!"

No PSVR support is duuuuuuumb, though.
zWVbK.gif

jmizzal

Review scores (especially aggregate) are not the end-all, be-all of reception... MGS4 and MGS5 have both received a 94 and 95, respectively, on Metacritic. Most people would agree that both of those review scores do not accurately reflect the quality of the game, and most people would also dock at least 10 points off of each to more accurately reflect the quality of the game.

LA Noire reviewed well but it's actual reception is not accurately reflected in it's Metascore. If you want to hang your hat on a Metacritic score and you personally liked the game, that's fine, but using that in order to gauge reception is a fairly weak foundation to build upon.

Did you miss where I gave you user reviews too

I'll play again on Switch if it runs well and looks good. It's kind of fucking wild that this is something coming to Switch, really. If you told me I'd be able to play this and Skyrim on a handheld in 6 years back then I would've been like nah, you're full of shit.
Wasn't too hard to believe when Vita existed. Switch is definitely a sizeable step up from that, but the evidence was there. Even some of the stuff on IOS at the time signaled we were getting somewhere interesting with mobile tech.

On topic, I'm in for the Switch version assuming it also gets the appropriate new upgrades it can handle. Not being 1080p docked would definitely be a shame, but I play in handheld mode most of the time anyway. Maybe this rerelease is a bigger overhaul than I'm expecting. Hopefully 720p in handheld mode (not too much to ask).

Releasing at the same time as the other versions gives me hope for a good price. This wasn't really something people seemed to be asking for either.

Edit: Damn, $40 for XBO/PS4 $50 for Switch. I was hoping they'd all be $40 ($32 with gcu).

https://www.rockstarwarehouse.com/store/tk2rstar/en_US/pd/productID.5132672400

EDarkness

So the switch port is not enhanced graphically or running at 1080p?

Honestly, I hope that isn't the case. The NS should be able to run the game at 1080p if they didn't do anything to it.

I don't know if we will ever see anything Manhunt related again after the controversy with Manhunt 2.

It's a shame, too, because I really liked Manhunt 2 and it would be great to play it again with all of the motions without the red overlay every time an execution is performed.

joe_zazen

Well of course, having Rockstar on board is promising. I wish it would have happened with a better game, but it is what it is.

Promising that all rockstar games are going to have to be able to run on something with 1/2 the power of an og x1 and 2 Gb of ram for the next 5 years? Boo.

Top Bottom