• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Romancing SaGa 2 announced for PSV/iOS/Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkBeard

Apparently according to Wikipedia, the game was already remade for phones in 2011. Does that version look similar to this? And why is it being remade again? I know it's probably to help build hype for the eventual Vita game, but I'm curious what the difference is between this new remaster and the original port.

EDIT: It looks like it was on some limited service, although it's hard to find details on it. This is probably the first time to Android/iOS. Either way, it looks nice, and the art style is easy on the eyes.

Prelude.

Apparently according to Wikipedia, the game was already remade for phones in 2011. Does that version look similar to this? And why is it being remade again? I know it's probably to help build hype for the eventual Vita game, but I'm curious what the difference is between this new remaster and the original port.
It was probably for feature phones.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
For a mobile remake, this looks surprisingly great. Wish the FF/DQ ports got the same level of treatment. Call me interested, even in the mobile... moreso if they release the Vita version in the states.

I think what he means is that we barely get any non FF/DQ legacy titles from the Enix side. Square had revived these:
- SaGa
- Mana
- Front Mission (supposedly)

Whereas Enix only revived this:
- Star Ocean

They could have revived the Soul Blazer series at least.

O1zJ46v.jpg

kxxaTtF.gif

cy0zJto.png

Qwark

To be clear, this is different than the SaGa Vita announcement a while ago, as that is a new game in the series?

Or has it always been for SaGa 2 and this is the only SaGa game for Vita that we currently know about?

MilkBeard

Any16-bit RPG updated nowadays using the original sprites will look "RPGMaker," unless you're expecting them to throw in scanlines.

Yeah, I mean, you can completely remake any old school RPG in RPG Maker using the original graphics, or even newly created ones of a range of quality, so saying it looks 'like RPGMaker' is kind of funny.

To be clear, this is different than the SaGa Vita announcement a while ago, as that is a new game in the series?

Or has it always been for SaGa 2 and this is the only SaGa game for Vita that we currently know about?
Nope, this is separate, most likely to build momentum for the new SaGa game for Vita.

I hope this gets a western release.

It's been mystifying to me why Square doesn't localize the games that didn't come to the West during the classic 16-bit era and at least put them on Steam or something - maybe packaged with an emulator like Sega's Genesis games; no major porting expenses. Seems like fairly easy money, surely sales of "long-lost" jRPGs of the golden Squaresoft era would easily offset the costs of translation?

Final Fantasy Adventure.

Square Enix is currently being very, very kind to the Vita.

Wait, what?

Maybe I missed it, but... they're not doing the first one like this? Presumably because we already have the PS2 version? That's... unfortunate.

I just... I can't believe this looks better than FFV/FFVI...

Knurek

Maybe I missed it, but... they're not doing the first one like this? Presumably because we already have the PS2 version? That's... unfortunate.

I just... I can't believe this looks better than FFV/FFVI...

Well, Kawazu still works for Square. Sakaguchi doesn't. Of course they will care more for Kawazu games. :)

Wow, this looks visually stunning. How did they go from the FFV monstrosity to this? I wish they remade FFV and FFVI looking like this.

SkyOdin

Wow, this looks visually stunning. How did they go from the FFV monstrosity to this? I wish they remade FFV and FFVI looking like this.

Well, this might be based on a previous feature phone re-release, while the FFV and FFVI remakes were made from scratch for iOS. Square actually has a great history with its port efforts previous to FFV and FFVI, with great-looking iterations of FFI and FFII released on iOS based on older ports. The terrible looking sprites in FFV and FFVI iOS are a strange and unfortunate anomaly.

Anyways, I really hope that we get an English translation of this game. Romancing SaGa 2 is one of the few SaGa games that I have not played yet.

Sinople

The more I'm looking at the screenshots, the more I'm hyped. One of the best 16 bit RPG treated with the respect it deserves.
I hope they'll find a way to release a physical version for the Vita.
Next Live-A-Live please.

duckroll

Looks really good. Hope they do Romancing SaGa 3 as well, and take this chance to bring these older games to western audiences. SaGa will never die!

crinale

Looks really good. Hope they do Romancing SaGa 3 as well, and take this chance to bring these older games to western audiences. SaGa will never die!

I've posted previously in this thread but he is already hinting RS3. Now whether that gets localized is another story but we can be hopeful.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I get this feeling that they'll bring it over but will port it to PS4 PSN and price it at $19.99.

I want this on my Vita with tremendous urgency.

But this feels like the kind of thing that's totally up in the air. This is the sort of thing that compels me to tweet. Should I tweet?

Slime

Banned
I love my pixels, but I have to concede this looks better than a lot of these mobile-oriented remakes.

Hope this gets localized. RS 2 and 3 are the only SaGa games I still haven't played.

Happy to see the real thing making a bit of a comeback after Legend of Legacy turned out so wonky.

I am so glad that Vita is getting some love!

I hope for the most part that Square Enix keeps porting their mobile ports to gaming consoles!

Square2015

To those who have played RS2 and the rest of the SaGa series how does it compare? I've heard RS2 is the best in the series beating out even RS3...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom