• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: AFHV S9

Putzweg

So this weekend i decided to continue my marathon run of the complete AFHV series.The 9th season of the show turned out to be a breaking moment in many ways. What makes it special is its place just between the Saget and Bergeron-era.

Background:
*First of all Saget was replaced with Fuentes and Fugelsang. The hosting team would however only last 1 season before the Bergeron era took over.
*The original theme song "The Funny Things You Do" was revised to a instrumental.
*New announcer with Harnell replacing Owens.
*New segment Bad News, Good News.
*Twice as long (44 mins instead of 22)

Result:
*The new hosts turned out to be a fiasco earning the show record low ratings.
*Bergeron taking over (the rest is history).

My view:
About the studio: The early Bergeron era studio with no chair (although sofas) was not that big of a difference! So i dont get the criticism of the studio being confusing. All in all the studio setting was fine.

A small picture showing glimpses of the new studio:
afv5.jpg

About the hosts
: Fuentes and Fugelsang got a lot of undeserved critic. Filling in the shoes of Saget was always a impossible mission for two untried rookies but you can really notice that in the latter half of the season their chemistry started getting better. Having the show being 44 minutes didnt help them either since it ruined the masterful pacing of the previous seasons.

Highlights
(in chronological order, my favorite three clips): E2 clip 4 (the goldenretriever chasing the scooter), E8 (the elderly womans birthday cake, AFHV nerds will notice this clip returned 4 seasons later! By misstake maybe?) and E9 (the graduation ceremony and the stage dive)

All in all. I give this season a pass. Its not as good as the early Bergeron era or the later Saget seasons but its fine. The new theme was much better since the lyrics to the old song was stupid anyway.

Top Bottom