• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rugby World Cup 2011 - New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.
:)

I cried tears of joy, I allow myself to get so involved in rugby, probably too much over the past 14 or so years so much so that the heartbreak of other failures was always so hard to take.

But now its all just happiness. :D

ALL BLACKS

WORLD CUP CHAMPIONS!

Congrats to the AB!

I was disappointed the French didn't win but they still played incredibly well!

Was on the edge of my seat in the last half!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Curufinwe said:
I think rugby would be a better sport if they moved the goalposts to the back of the in-goal area. Too much of the game revolves around trying to earn penalty kicks anywhere in the other team's half. It should revolve around scoring tries.

That would screw up anyone playing at Murrayfield, where the in-goal area looks about a quarter-mile long.

Clegg

Spike6663 said:
Aside from Australia v. Wales this December, are there any other major international tests this side of the 2012 Six Nations?
I can't think of any. In Europe it will be the league and Heineken Cup (European Cup) from now until January.

The November internationals won't be held this year due to the world cup.

medrew

fabprems said:
I'm still so disappointed that France didn't win this match, but after I came in the thread I'm bitter to see that rugby fans don't think we deserve to win a world cup we're still seeking after all these years...

Even the NZ Herald who were bashing us all week (and all tournament) can recognize that we have lost with some dignity...
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby-world-cup-2011/news/article.cfm?c_id=522&objectid=10761339

I can feel some sympathy for France given that this is their third final and their third loss. But for this tournament, to have lost two pool games, and played like they had against Wales and to have the disarray in their camp with Lievremont it would have felt very odd for them to be victors. But then again none of that matters, what matters is who is left standing there at the end.
I wonder how Tonga feels. If they hadn't lost to Canada, how far could they have gone?

I've told anyone that will listen, if the All Blacks were knocked out I would have been supporting France. I think a lot of other Kiwis probably felt the same way. We admire, and are scared shitless of the French in World Cups.

Duki

Banned
JonStark said:
Oh :lol, thanks for your opinion expert :lol

Ah, the Internets.
u kiddin me

piri weepu was single handedly a 15 point swing in your favour

misses three easy kicks and literally nudged the ball with his foot into your hands to lead to your only try

without him being a massive vagina, the score is more happily nz's

its not like he missed difficult kicks like your guy's from 50m

but lmao your guy missed the easiest kick of the night so w.e

nz champions woo

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Mario said:
We just launched a competition to get Steam download codes for our Rugby Challenge game on the official Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/RugbyChallengeGame?sk=wall&filter=2

But, I always like to give GAF a little extra love :)

So another 3 codes available for you guys. Just post your pick on the score and winner of the final in the thread or PM it to me. I'll pick out the 3 that get closest and you get a code.

For an extra chance to win, do that here and post a backup prediction on the Facebook page.

Hopefully will help make the final even more exciting :)

Well, seeing as only 6 of you decided to play and nobody could have picked that result, all 6 of you get a download code. Check your PMs.

medrew

Mario, probably not the right place to ask this, but will there be an official roster update (for 360) come the Super 15?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
medrew said:
Mario, probably not the right place to ask this, but will there be an official roster update (for 360) come the Super 15?

No. Though there are plenty of people doing roster updates on our forums already.

Mario said:
Well, seeing as only 6 of you decided to play and nobody could have picked that result, all 6 of you get a download code. Check your PMs.

Thanks dude! Lol yea that scoreline didn't really go 'as predicted' its fair to say haha, but all along I'd take a 1 point win ANYDAY it was on offer let-a-lone in a World Cup final.

fabprems said:
I'm still so disappointed that France didn't win this match, but after I came in the thread I'm bitter to see that rugby fans don't think we deserve to win a world cup we're still seeking after all these years...

Even the NZ Herald who were bashing us all week (and all tournament) can recognize that we have lost with some dignity...
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby-world-cup-2011/news/article.cfm?c_id=522&objectid=10761339
The French showed they deserved to be in that game but the reality is, you'd already cashed in all your luck to just get to that stage. Squeezing through to the quarter finals when Tonga only needed a single bonus point to knock you out. Beating England after a brilliant first half and poor second half. Only just beating a 14-man Wales. Your luck had to run out eventually and it did.

I'd love to see France win the Cup but I think they'll need to work on their consistency to do so. Hopefully the next coach actually does his job properly because I haven't thought highly of the last few.

The ABs had a victory parade down Queen St in Auckland today. Apparently more than 200k people there. Sounded like it was awesome, pity I don't live up there anymore.

Tomorrow they're heading down to Christchurch and giving them a parade. Can't imagine how emotional it'll be for Cantabs and the players from down there. And then on Wednesday, Wellington get their turn.

medrew

they seem to be putting the number between 240-250k now.

i wonder how many people who were staying in the cbd had flights leaving this afternoon and were left trapped. why is that important, i don't know but i'm sure there will be a british rag saying 'all blacks held me captive' ;)

Hunter S.

Haha Glad they are giving parades to all the major cities. Glad the blacks won. They are my team now as long as America does not improve.

That was a horrible 2nd half to watch, but so glad the French did not win. The blacks deserved to win at home.

Really a shame I wont be seeing rugby for a long time. It was a good run.

imgres

Baltimore Ravens vs. Denver Broncos (-9)

If the experts are right, this game isn't even going to be close. Out of all the experts surveyed, Mike Freeman of CBS Sports is the only one who picked the Ravens.

Jason Kint@jason_kint
wow. @realfreemancbs is the only expert on the planet picking the @Ravens. What are we missing, Mike? cbssports.com/nfl/features/w…
9 Jan 13 ReplyRetweetFavorite
Who will win?

Denver
77.0%
Baltimore
23.0%
Total votes: 178
That is for good reason, considering Peyton Manning and Co. came into Baltimore and clobbered the Ravens 34-17 in Week 15 this season. The Broncos were merely flexing the muscle that has them riding an 11-game win streak.

This time Denver is home, even better-prepared and rested. While Peyton Manning has a history of first-game exits in the playoffs, it will be tough for the Ravens to overcome the odds.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Mario said:

Legend!!

Thanks a lot mate, downloading now and looking forward to giving it a go.

Soule

Belated congrats to the ABs for getting there, extra love to one of my fav players, Brad Thorn. Happy to see the big man add another feather to his illustrious cap

fabprems

medrew said:
I've told anyone that will listen, if the All Blacks were knocked out I would have been supporting France. I think a lot of other Kiwis probably felt the same way. We admire, and are scared shitless of the French in World Cups.

I've had some funny conversations about that this summer, I've been a month in NZ with friends and I have to say that Kiwis are awesome and so welcoming... What I've said earlier wasn't against the All Blacks, this is a dream team playing great rugby, it was more about the way France was perceive : either shitty or arrogant.

Duki

Banned
you fucking kidding me, dusautoir?

what the fuck how does kaino not win that? by far the best player all year and by far the best no. 6 in the world

they didnt even give it to genia? only other man who should even have been in contention

gtf out of here

G0DLIKE

Duki said:
you fucking kidding me, dusautoir?

what the fuck how does kaino not win that? by far the best player all year and by far the best no. 6 in the world

they didnt even give it to genia? only other man who should even have been in contention

gtf out of here

Seriously. Kaino should have won it easily.

Genia? Eh. Of the Aussies, Pocock's way more deserving. When he wasn't on the field, the Aussies looked a far worse team.

But yeah, Kaino's far more consistent than Dusautoir so I've no clue why they went with him. Seems like they're giving him it based off one game, even though they already gave him MOTM for it.

Clegg

The IRB player of the year award lost some of its prestige after Mc Caw won it in 09 even though he missed most of the season through injury.

That being said Dusutoir had a very good World Cup so I can understand why he won the award.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Kurtofan said:
Congratulations Thierry!
pretty much this

All blacks got team of the year and Graham Henry coach. Feel like this is an accurate indication of what happened.

What Thierry managed in that final earns him some accolades I think and not just man of the match.

Mael

Good show at least...
Too bad that it ended up that way.
And to think that mere months again Lievremont was compared to Domenech...
Then again our rugby players ARE waaaaaaaaay better than our football players.
I mean at least the national league is not a bore for all to see.

And congrats to the winners.

medrew

Clegg said:
The IRB player of the year award lost some of its prestige after Mc Caw won it in 09 even though he missed most of the season through injury.

Huh, what are you talking about?
It's based on international games. The window for the award is based on the Autumn tests through to the tri-nations. So in McCaw's case it was Nov 08 - Sep 09. He played in 11 of the 14 tests.

medrew

Not a good day for the French.

Allegations Pepe spat at a photographer at lunch, and now video footage has been shown of Rodrigue intentionally headbutting and raking McCaw's eye in the 77th minute.

If I was Welsh I would have a molotov cocktail in my hand at Warburton's treatment.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
medrew said:
Not a good day for the French.

Allegations Pepe spat at a photographer at lunch, and now video footage has been shown of Rodrigue intentionally headbutting and raking McCaw's eye in the 77th minute.

If I was Welsh I would have a molotov cocktail in my hand at Warburton's treatment.

I couldn't see who that was.
All blacks handling it with class, no official complaint.

Pretty much a shame for an otherwise great game. Guy should be disciplined hard by the french. The altercation with the reporters and spitting on them doesn't help much, would suck to tarnish an otherwise outstanding attempt by the french at winning the cup.

medrew

They just showed a couple of different angles on tv, so it will show up on youtube sooner or later.

part of me hopes McCaw retires in the next couple of years. He's a really smart guy and has achieved everything there is. I'd hate to see his head get messed up from all the hits it takes. I get nervous every time he takes a knock.

edit: just realised i misspelt Rougerie

m3k

just wanted to belatedly post my happiness at the all balcks winning

the past two world cups were especially painful for me but i imagine it has been much worse for those supporters that are older than i. I also feel for the french but i have always liked the french and respect them more for the challenge they always hand the all blacks... hopefully they are the next new nation to win the world cup... they play rugby the right way when they get their shit together

player of the year is a consolation prize i thought most people considered kaino the best player and he had an excellent tournament as well

oh well hes young so yeah congratulations to dusautoir, good player, good leader

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
medrew said:
They just showed a couple of different angles on tv, so it will show up on youtube sooner or later.

part of me hopes McCaw retires in the next couple of years. He's a really smart guy and has achieved everything there is. I'd hate to see his head get messed up from all the hits it takes. I get nervous every time he takes a knock.

edit: just realised i misspelt Rougerie

completely busted

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/5851214/McCaw-plays-down-eye-gouge-as-video-released

video included.

Richie should retire right now. it's the perfect time. 103 games (or 102?) is a shitload of matches. The only way is down after this, plus his foot is shot. He should start changing into a sports involved person like Sean Fitzpatrick.

catfish said:
completely busted

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/5851214/McCaw-plays-down-eye-gouge-as-video-released

video included.

Richie should retire right now. it's the perfect time. 103 games (or 102?) is a shitload of matches. The only way is down after this, plus his foot is shot. He should start changing into a sports involved person like Sean Fitzpatrick.
Ew, please no. At times in the media, Fitzy's barely recognisable as a NZer, spouting off tabloid bullshit about the ABs regardless of whether it's true. Sure he's just playing to his audience, as that's where he lives and makes his money these days but for an AB legend, it's shameful.

Anyway, the face gouging is pretty disgraceful. Lucky for him, nothing will ever come of it because of the IRBs stupid citing rules (same as Elsom's insane attack on Conrad Smith in the semi). And yet they'll never fail to give out huge fines for players wearing branded mouth guards or when teams cross their 10m line while the haka's going on. Protecting sponsors and making sure there's no pre-match confrontation is clearly more important than stopping outright dirty play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom