• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUINER |OT| We Were Never Friends

pa22word

^multi dash seems weirdly broken on the standard kbm layout due to aiming and marking being on the same cursor, so at the end of the dash your character swivels in that direction, kind of defeating the purpose of the dash in the first place. The only way I've gotten any practical usage out of it is to shield immediately out of the last dash that way if the dash is tight I don't end up getting shellacked immediately as I attempt to turn around. They could probably fix this with some kind of directional system during dashes that lets you focus the player in a direction coming out of a dash with wasd, but as it is it's super wonky and I try not to use it much.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
As for that, I personally feel that hit&run is usually the way to go. The thing I basically never touched though is that sort of slow motion predefined dash (I forgot the actual name), the one you trigger by keeping the button pressed and picking the actual space you want to move to.
The idea is awesome on paper, but the gameplay is so frantic I find it super hard to implement that mechanic in my combat options.

Yeah, it's the latter one that's the problem, and you're exactly right. If it stopped time completely, i could see it being way more useful.

I suspect I'm not looking at it in the right way though.

Definitely a shotgun coupled to some very quick reactions. One shot between each dash

That's worth a shot.

Um. No pun intended.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
^multi dash seems weirdly broken on the standard kbm layout due to aiming and marking being on the same cursor, so at the end of the dash your character swivels in that direction, kind of defeating the purpose of the dash in the first place. The only way I've gotten any practical usage out of it is to shield immediately out of the last dash that way if the dash is tight I don't end up getting shellacked immediately as I attempt to turn around. They could probably fix this with some kind of directional system during dashes that lets you focus the player in a direction coming out of a dash with wasd, but as it is it's super wonky and I try not to use it much.

Even if that were fixed (I'm on PS4 so can't say I've noticed it), on paper, I'm not sure what the best way to actually apply it in game. :D The 'shotgun rush' idea sounds good, but seems a little situational.

Aklamarth

DemWalls said:
The background in the Story section of the official site is also gorgeous, too bad it cannot be easily saved.

This one ?
3BHm8ZB.png

drotahorror

Interesting read, good post.
As for that, I personally feel that hit&run is usually the way to go. The thing I basically never touched though is that sort of slow motion predefined dash (I forgot the actual name), the one you trigger by keeping the button pressed and picking the actual space you want to move to.
The idea is awesome on paper, but the gameplay is so frantic I find it super hard to implement that mechanic in my combat options.

There's a boss that just melee's you and is much faster than you. The slow motion dash was the only way for me to beat him after several tries. The fight made me realize how valuable that dash could be.

Mdk7

There's a boss that just melee's you and is much faster than you. The slow motion dash was the only way for me to beat him after several tries. The fight made me realize how valuable that dash could be.

Is it the one in the first part of the game?
The one that
briefly goes away and then attacks by bombing you
?

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

aoe stun perk every time he lands you use it beat the crap out of him he cant attack and jumps away to throw more grenades lands then you repeat
it makes all the bosses a push over because you can use it like 20 times before recharging

drotahorror

aoe stun perk every time he lands you use it beat the crap out of him he cant attack and jumps away to throw more grenades lands then you repeat
it makes all the bosses a push over because you can use it like 20 times before recharging

True, never used it. I smashed that boss by kiting him with the slow time dash move. Surely that grenade stun doesn't work on hard, but like I said, I never tried it.

pa22word

Any chance of this game being on the switch? I really want to buy it but gut feeling is telling me to wait for switch version...
I don't think devolver has put anything on switch yet, but I may be wrong. They're pretty good at answering stuff on social media so id just ask them.

datsunzep

This game is oozing with style and substance. Having a blast with it so far. Playing it on normal and it's challenging, but not overtly difficult like the IGN review implies.

Mikado

Having a lot of fun with this, although I'm dying quite a bit hah. At least I like how quick it is to respawn. So far at least the checkpoints work well; it's not possible to zerg an encounter. One really has to "solve" each one. The fact that you can respec at any time really plays into that. Nothing has felt unfair.

Kills are very satisfying. I've read that some people were experiencing hitches? I haven't seen anything that looks like a technical issue (even playing on an ancient AMD 5870). Maybe some players are confusing the brief (intentional) slow-motion reaction time that happens when picking up weapons and some kills for unintentional framerate loss?

A lot of the guns (like almost everything that's not the shotgun) seem sort of useless so far? But maybe I just have terrible aim ha.

Johndoey

Banned
Some of the incidental writing when you're in the hub is rough and the text boxes look really out of place, but those are my only two issues so far. The character art is fantastic and cutscenes are well directed.

Is the game fun/smooth to play? Action games with bad controls are one of the most annoying things to me.
The controls are moreso unorthodox instead of legitimately being bad, lack of button configuration notwithstanding. They're very responsive and I suspect such complaints from reviews might largely stem from an assumption RUINER would function like your average twin-stick shooter; similar claims had occured with FURI as well, for example. Can't comment on keyboard / mouse though.

Wozman23

So, how do the Nex Machina junkies (MrS, Crab Milk Mickey, Hispanicguy...) feel about this one?

I'm interested in it, but I think I'll probably just be disappointed after coming off of one of my favorite twin sticks ever. (Plus, I'm already set for Cuphead!)

Nzyme32

Quite happy I chose the "developer recommended" Hard difficulty. It is hard, but working through the tutorial section got me up to speed and that has made the game great fun after trying the Normal difficulty briefly

dugdug

Banned
So, this is a weird thing, but, I feel like the cut scenes should have had voice-acting in them.

That kinda thing never bothered me before, but, for some reason, these scenes look like they should have it. I have no real explanation for why that's bothering me, either, but, it is.

Mikado

I feel like it's not entirely fair to put this in the "twinstick" category.

I mean sure you can aim independently of where you move, but it's not like - say - a Geometry Wars or an Assault Android Cactus.

Like (especially) when using the dash feature, it's not the standard twinstick thing where you basically just run away from the cluster of mobs while shooting into it. Instead, you're encouraged to dash into danger. To stretch an already overused comparison, it feels more like Bloodborne than Dark Souls. And possibly even more like Ninja Gaiden (OG Xbox) than Bloodborne.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Just blasted throughthe the tutorial and it runs and plays great. Seems like a solid 60fps and - playing on PS4 Pro at 1080p - has a super clean IQ, which makes me suspect it might be down sampling from a higher resolution.

Anyone able to confirm?

So, how do the Nex Machina junkies (MrS, Crab Milk Mickey, Hispanicguy...) feel about this one?

I'm interested in it, but I think I'll probably just be disappointed after coming off of one of my favorite twin sticks ever. (Plus, I'm already set for Cuphead!)

It’s really not the same beast. Much more in the vein of Dead Nation mixed with Baldur’s Gate Dark alliance (with some Hotline Miami for good measure). Yes it uses a twin stick control configuration but I think labelling it a twin stick shooter is misleading because it conflates it with games like Nex Machina. It’s great, it’s just not quite like that.

Barrylad

Neo Member
So, this is a weird thing, but, I feel like the cut scenes should have had voice-acting in them.

That kinda thing never bothered me before, but, for some reason, these scenes look like they should have it. I have no real explanation for why that's bothering me, either, but, it is.
Totally with you. It's a little jarring. For such a stylish game, some voice acting would be the cherry on top.

I'm really enjoying this, two hours in. Deaths can feel a little random but the combat is fun overall.

Loving the sense of style, and hoping the story delivers in the second half. It's all breadcrumbs early.

Also hoping the soundtrack or a playlist shows up on Spotify soon.

Melchior

This game surprised me it's pretty good. I have a ton of nitpicky things though. The biggest killer is after finishing a round or wave and it gives you the score that screen is gone in a second. And 90% of the time I'm looking away so I completely miss the score since it pops up and then disappears so quickly. It's really annoying.

MrS

Banned
I'd say Huey is spot on. The shooting feels a little off at times but there's a lot here to enjoy. It doesn't hold a candle to Nex Machina in terms of pure gameplay/gameplay loop but the systems and the world are fun and the combat is quite enjoyable and strategic at times. The power-ups add a lot of variety to combat and you can switch them on the fly which is nice. Definitely check it out, it's a solid game and worth the price imho.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Really feel like I have no idea how this game wants me to play it.
Shooting feels imprecise because you always have to be on the move since everybody uses firearms and your gun is dry after a couple of seconds- Melee on the other hand seems super unreliable. No idea if I just don't understand how the dash works but 50% of the time I end up swinging in the wrong direction, usually followed by me getting blasted in the face and dying. So I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to use the melee.
Made it through the first area but I'm not really sure what to think of this game so far.

Also it feels really weird that there is no voice acting at all. Kinda unexpected and it makes the story cutscenes feel really....silly. (Also the writing isn't great)

Mikado

Was about to pick up the OST for this today, but it looks like there's some issue on the steam store and the OST files don't download/exist?

Currently at 22 out of 23 negative reviews for the OST (due to not working).

Hope that gets resolved soon.

Just started it this morning. It's pretty fun despite being a bit hard at times. Loving the style and art direction. Definitely feel the inspiration of Otomo. Really wish it had voiced cutscenes.

chefbags

I hope the clothing company that made clothes based on Hotline Miami is also doing a line for Ruiner.

The cyberpunk feel is soo good in this game. And I want Her's jacket lol.

Johndoey

Banned

Yeah the way the cutscenes are presented really do feel like they should have VO.

When I saw how the multi-dash functioned I figured I'd go with M/KB controls as being able to quickly and accurately tag dash points seemed ideal, but isometric style movement orientation is something I have a hard time getting used to with WASD, so I went back to controller and it's fine.

This is such a minor complaint but it bugs me with how stylish this game is that words in text boxes will wrap to the next line once they've been typed out long enough to hit the end of the line.

Love the aesthetic and feel of it all though, and the encouragement to experiment in skill point allocation. The bodies stick around too! Glee! I love that in games.

Melchior

Beat the game on Hard Mode. It was pretty good. It took about 5~hours did all except 1 side quest. I'm really bummed out there wasn't a final score at the end of the game. It kinda made no sense since you get scored for every fight but nothing at the end. Ran into a few glitches at the end that made me die which was a bit of a bummer but again there was no end game stat screen so it didn't really matter. I was eager to see it too.

Endo Punk

You folks weren't kidding, this game is insanely hard to the point of frustration at times, if it wasn't satisfying overall I would have quit. Glad you can take back skill points and put it on other enhancements. The Cyberpunk feel is palpable, and the soundtrack goes a long way towards that. Beat
Trafficking
last night, I always love returning to Rangkok, more personality in that place than entirety of most AAA games.

Vitor711

Hi all - the game isn't hard, the shooting is fundamentally broken.

It has a soft lock that engages when you right stick aim to enemies. Helpful, right? Not at all actually - bullets are slow moving projectiles and enemies move. YOU CANNOT LEAD SHOTS.

When looking at mini-boss health, they actually go down super quick with a stream of damage. The issue is, most people will be aiming correctly and missing, making them seem like bullet sponges. Since you cannot lead your shots in this game by default, it's maddening and frankly a little broken.

Combined with off-screen enemies due to arenas that are slightly larger than your screen real estate and it's death by a thousand cuts.

pa22word

Hi all - the game isn't hard, the shooting is fundamentally broken.

It has a soft lock that engages when you right stick aim to enemies. Helpful, right? Not at all actually - bullets are slow moving projectiles and enemies move. YOU CANNOT LEAD SHOTS.

When looking at mini-boss health, they actually go down super quick with a stream of damage. The issue is, most people will be aiming correctly and missing, making them seem like bullet sponges. Since you cannot lead your shots in this game by default, it's maddening and frankly a little broken.

Combined with off-screen enemies due to arenas that are slightly larger than your screen real estate and it's death by a thousand cuts.

Turn off the soft lock then. I played with it on for about 15 mins before I reached the conclusion you did and canned it.

Top Bottom