• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Capcom Prepping Dino Crisis Reboot? (OXM UK)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wish they would release the "real" Dino Crisis 3. Jetpack Dinosaurs in SPACE, except this time, it doesn't suck.

How on earth does one screw such an awesome concept up?

So they can reboot Dino Crisis but not give us a proper Street Fighter 5? Wouldn't SF5 even cost them less?

Oh well, beggars can't be choosers. As long as they make it like the first 2 and less like 3, I'm good.

Whompa

Capcom: "I'll save ya bro!"

I highly doubt this rumor, but that being said, it would be pretty convenient since Jurassic Park 4 is ramping up in development.

So they can reboot Dino Crisis but not give us a proper Street Fighter 5? Wouldn't SF5 even cost them less?

Oh well, beggars can't be choosers. As long as they make it like the first 2 and less like 3, I'm good.
How are you begging for a new Street Fighter already? Street Fighter IV is still an active game with more to give.

There hasn't been a real Dino Crisis since the PS1.

Xpliskin

QBcPCM3.gif

Raitaro

While I would be happy to eat my own words if proven wrong, I highly doubt Capcom will make a new Dino Crisis.

You know why? In the modern console space where most AAA games (assuming that is what we're talking about) are targeted at the 14/16 to 35 crowd. Military shooters appeal to that crowd, as do zombies and other horror monster featuring games. This is why Capcom is releasing their Resident Evil games as they are - with a focus on monsters / zombies and shooting.

Would a similar game with dinosaurs really appeal to that target demograpic or is this a case of the demograpic outgrowing creatures they loved as a child but which have now been replaced by more "adult" stuff? I don't know for sure, mostly because I myself DO still like dinos, but I can't see the majority of today's CoD / AC crowd dying for more dinos in games. Of course Capcom could indeed be willing to try upping the shooting and horror elements of the first Dino Crisis games even more to appeal to those folks in a new game, but at this point I'm having trouble seeing them invest heavily in a new AAA Dino Crisis because of the focus on dinos it would require.

Don't get me wrong: I would lap it up asap if they did release a new game, especially if it's similar to either RE4, Dragon's Dogma or - indeed - Dark Souls in combat and design but with heavy links to the first two games as well. So maybe I should forget what I said above: Capcom please DO make a new Dino Crisis for consoles and pc, and make it good.

This is something I'd love to see in a Dino Crisis reboot. I'd rather have something that's more survival horror like the first game. Considering Capcom's current state, I can't help but feel that if this thing takes off, it'll be nothing more than an action game where you shoot hordes of dinosaurs.

I don't mind the action angle so much. In fact, I was sort of looking at this in a Splinter Cell type of angle since that's somewhat what SORT is. Later, a Dino Crisis 2/RE4 gameplay progression wouldn't be a bad idea as it's difficult to limit dinosaurs into corridors/limited environments beyond one game, whereas RE could do just fine due to the limits of enemies and scenarios being only in imagination.

However, for this first game, I really want Capcom to just keep themselves under control and nail the concept and evolve from it. If Capcom can get these large teams focused at this stage where it's rather small in scope, then these team can [hopefully] adjust to larger scopes in succeeding installments. In that way, it will [hopefully] indicate to the powers that be in the franchise's development what made it successful and where to effectively foster growth within it.

I'm probably being too optimistic though in Capcom recognizing that.

Gaz_RB

Please god bestow a Dino Crisis reboot upon me.

When i was younger, my mom wouldn't let me play RE, only Dino Crisis haha.

Riposte

You want the new Dino Crisis to have lots of jank, a divisive reaction from both critics and the audience that all add up to hurting the brand? Again? You're gonna make Jawmuncher cry.
Worth if it means a continuation of RE6 style goodness. I'll be kind enough to leave the videogame politics to the people who prefer talking about them instead of playing them.

TreIII

While I would be happy to eat my own words if proven wrong, I highly doubt Capcom will make a new Dino Crisis.

You know why? In the modern console space where most AAA games (assuming that is what we're talking about) are targeted at the 14/16 to 35 crowd. Military shooters appeal to that crowd, as do zombies and other horror monster featuring games. This is why Capcom is releasing their Resident Evil games as they are - with a focus on monsters / zombies and shooting.

Would a similar game with dinosaurs really appeal to that target demograpic or is this a case of the demograpic outgrowing creatures they loved as a child but which have now been replaced by more "adult" stuff? I don't know for sure, mostly because I myself DO still like dinos, but I can't see the majority of today's CoD / AC crowd dying for more dinos in games. Of course Capcom could indeed be willing to try upping the shooting and horror elements of the first Dino Crisis games even more to appeal to those folks in a new game, but at this point I'm having trouble seeing them invest heavily in a new AAA Dino Crisis because of the focus on dinos it would require.

Don't get me wrong: I would lap it up asap if they did release a new game, especially if it's similar to either RE4, Dragon's Dogma or - indeed - Dark Souls in combat and design but with heavy links to the first two games as well. So maybe I should forget what I said above: Capcom please DO make a new Dino Crisis for consoles and pc, and make it good.

On the other hand? The new Jurassic Park movie is slated to come out next year. Short of an actual licensing tie-in, a Dino Crisis to try and feed into the hype the movie will create (like what the previous games did) is the next best thing for Capcom, which is why I could see them greenlighting a new game for that reason alone.

Now, beyond that, I'm just concerned more if the game will be any good. Kobayashi and his team could probably make a game with a great combat system if they were given the job, it's just everything else about the game that worries me.

If it's Japanese, I'll take one.

If it's another in the long line of franchises that met their end in Capcom's Western outsourcing abattoir, then no thanks.

Yes, because all that's wrong with Japanese gaming is Western outsourcing
/s

Please. I would argue that the overall classic RE and Silent Hill games were closer to what appeals in the West than the convoluted, sloppy shit we've been given. Guns /=/ West.

Please god bestow a Dino Crisis reboot upon me.

When i was younger, my mom wouldn't let me play RE, only Dino Crisis haha.

Same here. Luckily, Dino Crisis came with Nemesis to where I could finally explain to my folks that people were zombies because of a cold/virus instead of demons like they believed. Raised in a house where gore and violence wasn't bad as long as I knew it wasn't real stuff, and even some sexual content was allowable (mostly a bit of nudity in films). But demons? Completely off limits, despite the household not being religious in the slightest.

Worth if it means a continuation of RE6 style goodness. I'll be kind enough to leave the videogame politics to the people who prefer talking about them instead of playing them.

The gameplay was great, but not for RE6's level design, and it would be ridiculous in that form for Dino Crisis. It needs to be tightened up. Don't have the rolls and diving to the deck for no good reason or in places where it doesn't meld, while then forcing players to be nothing but wind-up robots in other. Do it like in Dark Souls with parrying and ripostes; player has to time it right to pull it off and entirely situational. Somewhat contextual in nature, but without the RE4-6 button prompts and relying on timing and animation observation.

I do want Capcom to make a game with RE6s gameplay though at some point in a new IP.

okayfrog

Banned
Trufax: Shu Takumi directed Dino Crisis 2
Trufax: Shu Takumi created the Ace Attorney series
Trufax: Shu Takumi has stated that he is working on a new Ace Attorney game that will be "completely different from past Ace Attorney games"

From these facts it can be easily determined that Shu Takumi's next game will be an Ace Attorney game starring a dinosaur attorney.

Asd202

Trufax: Shu Takumi directed Dino Crisis 2
Trufax: Shu Takumi created the Ace Attorney series
Trufax: Shu Takumi has stated that he is working on a new Ace Attorney game that will be "completely different from past Ace Attorney games"

From these facts it can be easily determined that Shu Takumi's next game will be an Ace Attorney game starring a dinosaur attorney.

Makes sense.

The timing would be perfect, Jurassic World coming out next summer will drive up the interest in any Dinosaur games.

Nothing more fantastic than abject consumer apathy and less sales than everything else in the franchise to date.

All that aside, the gameplay was phenomenal. It was a quality game, even if it wasn't what fans wanted/expected.

The first Dino Crisis was by far the superior game of the three. Tense, claustrophobic and NOT action-packed (which has ruined many third-person games like RE6).

Korigama

All that aside, the gameplay was phenomenal. It was a quality game, even if it wasn't what fans wanted/expected.
It was mediocre at best. Simply being an improvement over Ninja Theory's usual does not make anything about how DmC played even close to phenomenal, especially when far better alternatives existed even without accounting for the old games. Not meeting the franchise's standards only made it worse.

Jawmuncher

Well jurassic world movie is currently under production..

If this rumor proves to be real, I have a feeling JW was a big force in pushing capcom to greenlight a new DC game. Hell dinosaurs in general are back in swing more so than they have been in years.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
well... if this rumor true then the dinosaurs better be feathered dinosaurs (aka the true and only dinosaurs).

Barakov

Hmm... I really want to be excited about this but I'm afraid Capcom is going to give us the Dino Crisis they think we want rather than the one we really want.

liquidtmd

Banned
A Dino Crisis reboot in a classic fixed camera setting with pre-rendered amazing quality backdrops with a fine mix of puzzle and...ahh who am I kidding, Call Of Dino here we come

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
don't do this to me, this gen would be amazing if Dino Crisis, Onimusha came back ( as they were originally by the original Japanese devs not the westernising outsourced shit) and RE went back to REmake horror style, I would cry tears of joy if that happened.

Marcel

A Dino Crisis reboot in a classic fixed camera setting with pre-rendered amazing quality backdrops with a fine mix of puzzle and...ahh who am I kidding, Call Of Dino here we come

Call of Dino? Nah, too expensive. It'll probably be RE6 uneven jank-heavy gameplay, or Spark Unlimited "everything is dull as ditchwater" style.

Why does it have to be one or the other?

Dino Crisis or Resident Evil don't have to be fixed camera and pre-rendered background. A third person, over the shoulder angle could be effectively curtailed in ease of play through limited resources. The dinosaurs are relatively hardy in the series, and the emphasis on tranqs as in the original could cut on ammunition and ease. Give it Splinter Cell elements on keeping out of line of sight can further that identity of tactile play opposed to run and gun.

I do hope the puzzles, if included, are better implemented than some of the keys in the first and that annoying compsognathus puzzle in DC2. But this isn't RE and merely a lab facility if it's a remake of the first, so seeing anything more complicated than the cargo puzzle or anything in the vain of Spencer Mansion wouldn't be too welcome.

But yeah, so far Capcom hasn't given any indication they are dropping that "signature, over-the-top Capcom style". I'll have to find that quote from a Lost Planet 3 postmortem interview.

Edit: Here it is: http://kotaku.com/lost-planet-3-needed-more-crazy-capcom-style-moments-1442050433

At the same time, looking back, there might have been some value in incorporating...more "uniquely Capcom” Japanese-inspired types of gameplay into the title

Top Bottom