• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Capcom Prepping Dino Crisis Reboot? (OXM UK)

Why does it have to be one or the other?

Dino Crisis or Resident Evil don't have to be fixed camera and pre-rendered background. A third person, over the shoulder angle could be effectively curtailed in ease of play through limited resources. The dinosaurs are relatively hardy in the series, and the emphasis on tranqs as in the original could cut on ammunition and ease. Give it Splinter Cell elements on keeping out of line of sight can further that identity of tactile play opposed to run and gun.

I do hope the puzzles, if included, are better implemented than some of the keys in the first and that annoying compsognathus puzzle in DC2. But this isn't RE and merely a lab facility if it's a remake of the first, so seeing anything more complicated than the cargo puzzle or anything in the vain of Spencer Mansion wouldn't be too welcome.

But yeah, so far Capcom hasn't given any indication they are dropping that "signature, over-the-top Capcom style". I'll have to find that quote from a Lost Planet 3 postmortem interview.

Edit: Here it is: http://kotaku.com/lost-planet-3-needed-more-crazy-capcom-style-moments-1442050433

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aside from the nostalgia factor, fixed camera angles in scenes would force certain suspenseful encounters similar to how camera angles are used in horror movies for surprise. That was very intentional in early survival horror games and I don't think it's necessarily a negative element.

Jawmuncher

Could Capcom Vancouver possibly be working on it?
Pretty sure we don't know what they are up to after Dead Rising 3. Recall there being murmurs of a sci-fi IP in the works over there.

Lockon

If real, hope its not like dino crisis 3. No jetpack, not in space, but I might take cyborg dinosaurs though...

Neff

Yes, because all that's wrong with Japanese gaming is Western outsourcing
/s

Please. I would argue that the overall classic RE and Silent Hill games were closer to what appeals in the West than the convoluted, sloppy shit we've been given. Guns /=/ West.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but personally I'm happy with everything Capcom has done internally during the last gen, while their Western-developed efforts left me cold.

If they can promise me a game with Japanese aesthetics and design sensibilities, then I'll be very happy with that.

Riposte

Don't have the rolls and diving to the deck for no good reason or in places where it doesn't meld, while then forcing players to be nothing but wind-up robots in other. Do it like in Dark Souls with parrying and ripostes; player has to time it right to pull it off and entirely situational. Somewhat contextual in nature, but without the RE4-6 button prompts and relying on timing and animation observation.

Let me get this straight, you are complaining about RE6's free-movement rolls while invoking the name of Dark Souls. Dark Souls... rolls. Are you being serious right now? Moreover, RE6 already has a timed counter mechanic that is, if anything, more often relevant than the parry mechanic in Dark Souls outside PvP.

We are truly in the height of the "Make it like Dark Souls"/"The Dark Souls of..."(people pretend to know why Dark Souls is good) era!

Dahbomb

OMG I BELIEVE!!!!
Another mediocre western developer to helm the remake, prepare for disappointment, yeah!
I don't get posts like these....

Getting a remake is better than not getting a new Dino Crisis at all. The last legitimate Dino Crisis game was 2 generations ago! At this point a remake is all they can do.

It's not like the DMC situation where the last game was less than 5 years ago and was the most successful game in the series. In the case of DC, the last game was a legitimate flop and it was more than a decade ago. This is one situation where a reboot is almost necessary to inject some life into the game series.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aside from the nostalgia factor, fixed camera angles in scenes would force certain suspenseful encounters similar to how camera angles are used in horror movies for surprise. That was very intentional in early survival horror games and I don't think it's necessarily a negative element.

Didn't mean to have it sound like it's a negative element, but now that we are on that subject I do find in some ways it's a crutch and not primarily fitting for enemies that are as agile and primal as the dinosaurs in Dino Crisis.

One of the issues of the game was that the way you could avoid zombies in the first few games wasn't present in Dino Crisis for most instances. With the level of bullets required to down them or the tranq only working to down them for a second early on with no way of stepping around or over the toothy bastards, the fixed angles went from delivering suspense to providing continuous frustration. It didn't break the game by any means, but it demonstrated some of the limitations the game had.

Suspense could easily transferred to OTS view. RE4 did well in portions that it bothered to approach suspense. Dark Souls is third person with a following camera and has plenty of suspense. Evil Within seems to be aiming for that angle as well.

Jobbs

Banned
I feel like a "running from scary dinosaurs" type survival horror game is an area that's really neglected and hasn't even been properly attempted since Dino Crisis. Would LOVE to see this.

Gonna go against the the tide and hope it's like RE6. Can you imagine doing tactical slides under a velociraptor?

Don't break my heart Capcom.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but personally I'm happy with everything Capcom has done internally during the last gen, while their Western-developed efforts left me cold.

If they can promise me a game with Japanese aesthetics and design sensibilities, then I'll be very happy with that.

I didn't say anything about fixed camera being a negative, especially since REmake is one of my favorite games, if not my overall favorite.

But between the movements of the dinos with likely enclosed environment if following in vain of the first, third person would probably be a better avenue. A few third person games without fixed cameras have nailed suspense, including Resident Evil 4 when it tried and (at risk of another Riposte tantrum) Dark Souls, while Evil Within also seems to be a promising addition.

The fixed camera angles had lead to issues in DC1, and somewhat displayed the limitations of the development at the time. Nothing game breaking, but there were issues.

Let me get this straight, you are complaining about RE6's free-movement rolls while invoking the name of Dark Souls. Dark Souls... rolls. Are you being serious right now? Moreover, RE6 already has a timed counter mechanic that is, if anything, more often relevant than the parry mechanic in Dark Souls outside PvP.

We are truly in the height of the "Make it like Dark Souls"/"The Dark Souls of..."(people pretend to know why Dark Souls is good) era!

What the hell is your problem?

1) I wasn't complaining about RE6 free roll. I was stating that the rest of RE6 unfortunately wasn't designed around that gameplay well at all.

2) IF Dino Crisis is more in vain with the original, again that gameplay in that SPECIFIC form wouldn't mesh well with level design.

3) I didn't mention Dark Souls rolls. I don't want free rolls at all. I specifically mentioned RIPOSTES and PARRYING regarding TIMING and ENVIRONMENT SPECIFIC DODGE RESPONSE. To make it clear, I don't want those in DC either, I just want dodging animation to be formed around the situation and environment. Think it would a cool next gen tech feat, considering Capcom has done great work in animation in the past. I don't count the counter mechanic because, once again, it doesn't fit with DC IMO and also a bit sloppy.

There's something seriously wrong if you can't handle a specific game being mentioned and react like that to what was a rather respectful response to what you had said. Post was totally uncalled for, given I don't think I even finished Dark Souls given I'm not great at those type of games.

Maybe you misread, sick of people trashing RE6 gameplay (which I complemented IIRC and you cut out from that quote) or are just fed up with hearing Dark Souls (I can agree to the latter, but not going to ignore using it as context due to it), but honestly I don't give a shit if that's how you decide to push your view.

Edit: I'm not going to edit all of that, but I shouldn't have taken the bait on that. Plenty of room for multiple opinions here, and don't see how a response that agreed on some levels was taken and twisted to such a manner because there was a slight bit of disagreement and a particular game mentioned.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Doubt it. Dinos were the zombies in the end 80s, begining 90s and DC1 and 2 were products of the mid 90s. I guess Turok was the last game that tried this formula and wasnt very successful.
Actually Turok was quite successful in terms of sales. Disney didn't want to continue on an IP that they didn't own.

Daingurse

As stated a RE4 style game would be awesome. I think dinosaurs may be making a comeback as a popular trend in media

Dino Crisis 2 almost felt like proto Re4. That game was fun as hell. And dinosaurs with the Panta Rhei Engine?

Jizz-in-my-pants.gif

If a new DC is real I hope it isn't exclusive to the XBOne, since then I'll probably never play it. But if the game only existed because of Microsoft's funding there can't really be any hard feelings.

Daingurse

If a new DC is real I hope it isn't exclusive to the XBOne, since then I'll probably never play it. But if the game only existed because of Microsoft's funding there can't really be any hard feelings.

New DC exclusive to Xbox One could possibly be a killer app for me, lol. I would be salty, but I prefer that to not caring about a console at all.

Timmy00

Holy crap, I really want to believe this is true. DC1 and 2 were pretty damn fun. I just hope if this is true, they don't screw it up...can't be worse than dino crisis 3 though >.>

For sure and no Xbox exclusivity

Yeah hopefully it's multiplatform. Either way, I'll get it though :p

Mask

Nah, can't see Capcom making it an exclusive this time, especially now that they've seen how much the PS4 has sold. I bet Capcom will be funding this one theirselves, and are expecting it to become their second Resident Evil. (Coincidentally, that's exactly what it was when the first game released. RE with dinosaurs.)

I hope to god they actually do this. Dino Crisis was like the perfect filling to the PSX survival horror sandwich. Resident Evil and Silent Hill were the bread, Dino Crisis was the delicious filling.

Xpliskin

Will buy an Xbox one if Dino Crisis is exclusive.

Only if it's not in the same vein as Lost Planet 3, RE: ORC or DmC.
RIP lost planet.

KemoSabe

what i hope for:
a new game like the first or second one.
please forget the shitty dc3 with dinosaurs in space...

what we will get:
mobile game or f2p

Assuming this is actually for consoles, it'd be amazing.

There are also lots of movies about dinosaurs set to come out from hollywood. If they can time it ride, they should be able to ride that wave.

How are you begging for a new Street Fighter already? Street Fighter IV is still an active game with more to give.

There hasn't been a real Dino Crisis since the PS1.
Personally I hated what SFIV's done to the story. It's a giant Mugen VS. project with no restraint or sensibility for character roster.

It's like one of those Dream Match KOF games, but isn't honest enough to come right out and say it.

And it still isn't as fun as 3rd Strike competitively.

Of all the awesome IPs Capcom have they chose Dino Crisis to be revived? Really? they can't get enough Lost Planet-like bombas, can they?

Riposte

Personally I hated what SFIV's done to the story. It's a giant Mugen VS. project with no restraint or sensibility for character roster.

It's like one of those Dream Match KOF games, but isn't honest enough to come right out and say it.

I agree, but I don't suppose it matters at this point, because so were the later Zero/Alpha games. It also doesn't matter because the Street Fighter story isn't much of a loss.

Dahbomb

Of all the awesome IPs Capcom have they chose Dino Crisis to be revived? Really? they can't get enough Lost Planet-like bombas, can they?
Dino Crisis is an awesome IP. Multi million seller series in the PS1 era.

Also DC2 was very similar to RE4 in terms of set pieces and action. That game was AAA style game before AAA games got popular.

Wait didn't Capcom say not too long ago that Dino Crisis was a franchise that they had no intentions of revisiting. I mean not even the usual PR of "We have no plans at this time" but I could of swore they said that they where done with this and I think Onimusha.

Goliath

Meh, I love the Street Fighter Universe. I am glad they brought back Gouken, maybe it's because I love comics and am used to people never staying dead but I am OK with that.

Besides, if you really wanna dive into the Street Fighter Universe story wise just get the UDON comics. They are amazing to look at with a decent story.

Dino Crisis is an awesome IP. Multi million seller series in the PS1 era.

Also DC2 was very similar to RE4 in terms of set pieces and action. That game was AAA style game before AAA games got popular.

It was pretty crazy how much of those they shoved in there. A few surprises as well, including
the underwater portion and the Giganotosaurus end sequence.

Spaghetti

i have no idea how they'd make a modern dino crisis.

it wouldn't be survival horror, obviously. capcom have long since fucked the ability to do that.

maybe dark souls with guns and dinosaurs. i don't know, i don't mean that literally, but more along the lines of large and open plan level design with a foreboding atmosphere and enemies that will fuck you up

i have no idea how they'd make a modern dino crisis.

it wouldn't be survival horror, obviously. capcom have long since fucked the ability to do that.

maybe dark souls with guns and dinosaurs. i don't know, i don't mean that literally, but more along the lines of large and open plan level design with a foreboding atmosphere and enemies that will fuck you up

it will need to be futuristic. maybe a third person shooter where the main character wears a nano suit like nomad from Crysis.

Dahbomb

So for more serious discussion on a potential Dino Crisis remake:

I don't think it will follow the RE survival horror formula of DC1. Yeah it was pretty sweet for its time but Capcom as a whole has shied away from that style completely. I think it would be a sequel to Dino Crisis 2. I also think that they would try their hardest to sweep DC3 under the rug much like Capcom did with DMC2.

Story wise I think they would have to follow up right after DC2 as it ended on a cliffhanger. It would make the most sense too... maybe Regina goes back in time to get them back or something. Anyway I won't bother with the story details. Level design would be slightly more open with lots of areas to explore in the jungle but should still be a fairly focused game in terms of design.

I am more interested in the game play style. Most likely it would be 3rd person but would it be over the shoulder like RE4/5 or the camera more held back like in Lost Planet 1/2. Either mode is fine with me and certainly LP already had some Dino Crisis like moments. They will probably shy away from tank controls as well.

It might be co-op and I honestly wouldn't mind it. Regina and Dylan paired up together? I would dig it. Lots of weaponry in the game already with an upgrade system. I want to see new mechanics and not fucking QTEs (a few are fine but I don't want RE6 style QTE bombardment). While it wouldn't be a survival horror I would still like some jungle environment survival elements in the game. Stuff like having to kill wildlife to regain health or covering up scent in waters/mud/feces to avoid dino aggro.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
If this is true, and Capcom fucks it up, I will be livid. Make it like Dino Crisis 1 or 2, and for the love of God, don't make it an MMO, a F2P, hell don't even put an online mode in it at all. Just a thrilling single player experience Capcom.

Top Bottom