• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Capcom Prepping Dino Crisis Reboot? (OXM UK)

Jawmuncher

The trademark was renewed in 2011 but I doubt that means a damn thing.
Since they would need to do that for rereleases and the like.

So for more serious discussion on a potential Dino Crisis remake:

I don't think it will follow the RE survival horror formula of DC1. Yeah it was pretty sweet for its time but Capcom as a whole has shied away from that style completely. I think it would be a sequel to Dino Crisis 2. I also think that they would try their hardest to sweep DC3 under the rug much like Capcom did with DMC2.

Story wise I think they would have to follow up right after DC2 as it ended on a cliffhanger. It would make the most sense too... maybe Regina goes back in time to get them back or something. Anyway I won't bother with the story details. Level design would be slightly more open with lots of areas to explore in the jungle but should still be a fairly focused game in terms of design.

I am more interested in the game play style. Most likely it would be 3rd person but would it be over the shoulder like RE4/5 or the camera more held back like in Lost Planet 1/2. Either mode is fine with me and certainly LP already had some Dino Crisis like moments. They will probably shy away from tank controls as well.

It might be co-op and I honestly wouldn't mind it. Regina and Dylan paired up together? I would dig it. Lots of weaponry in the game already with an upgrade system. I want to see new mechanics and not fucking QTEs (a few are fine but I don't want RE6 style QTE bombardment). While it wouldn't be a survival horror I would still like some jungle environment survival elements in the game. Stuff like having to kill wildlife to regain health or covering up scent in waters/mud/feces to avoid dino aggro.

Why would they directly continue the story of a 14 year old game? Sure Dino Crisis 1 and 2 were moderate successes back in the day but the audience that intimately knows those characters and plot are likely dwarfed by those who are not familiar with the series in the potential audience of current gamers because they weren't even born or were only a few years old. Also look at recent entries in some of Capcom's other, larger franchises. Both Lost Planet 3 and DmC were pretty much full on reboots and likely indicative of what you can realistically expect from a Dino Crisis revival.

I fell off my chair when I saw this thread. If CapCom can pull it off right they can achieve something good over and redeem themselves, as long as they don't go the action route and fuck it up.

Possible hype?

Rulp

If this is real they will fuck it up. It's just too tempting for them not to fuck it up in classic Capcom style.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I only ever played it at the arcade and not on console, but still. I feel oddly nostalgic about this rumour.

Edit: I have mixed it up with a different game I think. But still I know the name Dino Crisis, it still has a nostalgic air!

orochi91

If MS is smart, they should try to get this as an XB1 exclusive. They'll need a
variety of exclusives (money-hat or otherwise) to take on Sony's WWS.

Anung

Un Rama
I've said before but if they use Resident Evil 6's combat mechanics I'd be all over this.

Knowing Crapcom we'll get f2p dino farm simulator.

If MS is smart, they should try to get this as an XB1 exclusive. They'll need a
variety of exclusives (money-hat or otherwise) to take on Sony's WWS.

I'd rather they fund another Dead Rising.

I've said before but if they use Resident Evil 6's combat mechanics I'd be all over this.

Knowing Crapcom we'll get f2p dino farm simulator.

Nah, that would be too close to the whole dashing around thing that ruined the pacing of DC3. DC:Reboot needs to be a slow, simmering affair. One that doesn't have any fancy move-sets or anything, just someone with a gun trying to survive against a horde of dinosaurs.

-MD-

That'd be a good way to make me never want to play the game.

I'd pick it up for 5 bucks if it had coop like I did with RE5/6 I guess.

Oh god, yes! If they can nail the atmosphere of the first two games...

Yup, which is why they need to make it a slow paced game. One that isn't always ratcheting up the pressure or forcing you into cover or to pull off silly slide moves, but instead one that slowly builds up an oppressive atmosphere and makes each encounter a deadly battle for survival.

Come to think of it, is there any TPS with dinosaurs as enemies ?
Might be a good starting point.

None that I can think of, The last Dino game I played was Carnivores:DH HD on the PS3 and that's a first person hunting game.

monome

as long as the action is competently handled and the setting is crazy tongue-in-cheek, I'm ok with this.

some crazy mix between RE and Dragon's Dogma would be fun.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
What have you done Capcom? My first reaction was "this is going to be shit"and I really hope not since I have fond memories of DC1 and 2.

BadWolf

They should bring RE back closer to its roots and use Dino Crisis to go after the more shooter/action approach.

Here's hoping it isn't some mobile BS.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Capcpom gonna hype this shit up like "FROM THE MAKERS OF LOST PLANET 3..."

Capcpom gonna hype this shit up like "FROM THE MAKERS OF LOST PLANET 3..."

Having now actually played LP3, this isn't nearly as bad as it sounds. It's a solid TPS.

I would be so happy. Lost Planet 3 was way better then it had any right to be.

Yup, I feel Spark got the short end of the stick with LP3. It went completely dark for months and then had a silent release that puts TF on 360 to shame...

Nah, that would be too close to the whole dashing around thing that ruined the pacing of DC3. DC:Reboot needs to be a slow, simmering affair. One that doesn't have any fancy move-sets or anything, just someone with a gun trying to survive against a horde of dinosaurs.

Yeah, but you need something in place of that evasion system. It seems goofy and superfluous in RE because zombies are slow, and having a character with that level of mobility above their enemies isn't really needed unless they're supremely outnumbered(which is why I like Mercenaries). If they plan to make the dinosaurs like....well, dinosaurs, the player needs valid defensive options. Joel couldn't dodge or roll, but he could simply hide, distract his enemies with bricks and bottles, or set traps. Leon's evasive skills were limited to QTE's in RE4, but he could push bookcases in front of windows, knock over ladders, use doors as a barrier, or deflect arrows and such with good aim. There has to be a balance.

sublimit

Banned
Can't allow myself to feel excited about this just yet.This is Capcom we're talking about and they recently spent a lot of money to expand their development buildings for browser and mobile shit .

Liamario

Banned
I have no faith in cacpcom as a publisher. Over the course of one generation of consoles, they for the most part, produced some of the most disappointing games ever released. They consistently neglect to make new iterations in their most popular franchises. When they do release new sequels, they saw it fit to hand them over to the most incompetent developers we've ever seen and then when these titles don't sell, they infer that people just want to play on their touch screen devices.
The golden age of Japanese development seems to have ceased and it's now left to a handful of smaller developers to fly the flag.

Maligna

Banned
If Capcom is hurting for money, I don't think this series is going to save them unfortunately. It's not one of their more well known.
The main character would have been perfect for MVC3 though.

Yeah, but you need something in place of that evasion system. It seems goofy and superfluous in RE because zombies are slow, and having a character with that level of mobility above their enemies isn't really needed unless they're supremely outnumbered(which is why I like Mercenaries). If they plan to make the dinosaurs like....well, dinosaurs, the player needs valid defensive options. Joel couldn't dodge or roll, but he could simply hide, distract his enemies with bricks and bottles, or set traps. Leon's evasive skills were limited to QTE's in RE4, but he could push bookcases in front of windows, knock over ladders, use doors as a barrier, or deflect arrows and such with good aim. There has to be a balance.

I don't disagree, but I'd hate to see it become a fast paced action title. I loved the slow paced nature of the first title. I don't mind if there's a dodge, but no need for a defensive moveset.

After Dead Space 3 no thx.

I don't know, they handled the stalkers pretty well in DS2...

http://a.pomf.se/qvbpob.webm

Jawmuncher

This could possibly be a Capcom Vancouver gig.
Capcom Vancouver – you may know them better under their previous name of Blue Castle Games – has been pretty quiet since they gave us of Dead Rising 2: Off the Record back in October 2011, but that silence has now been broken.

They recently took to their website with a status update that tells us they are working on a zombie-less IP (probably the one hinted at in early 2012) and that they are hiring:
New Game

Capcom has one of the industry’s greatest back catalogs but for our next project we’ve been given the opportunity to create Capcom’s next big game.
New Opportunities

We’re just getting started with the game so this is a great chance to really get your hands deep into the design. It’s your opportunity to put your stamp on a game early in the development process.
New Team

To build the game we’ve assembled a crack team but we’re only halfway through filling the roles We’re looking for a wide range of staff from junior to intermediate to senior so if you’d like to join the team on their great new adventure check out the Careers page.
PS… No zombies

They have a team of 170 though so i'm not quite sure how they would have managed a new game along with Dead Rising 3 unless MS helped out more than I though with that. Though this info was earlier this year and I can't see a game supposedly coming out this year having that little dev time. The only thing I really have of note is the bolded. Since they mention capcoms catalog but didn't exactly say it was a New IP just that it would be capcoms next big game.

ironcreed

Banned
As long as they keep bringing me the games I care about, then they can chase mobile on the side all they want. I just hope that they don't go bankrupt in their attempt. I still love Capcom dearly, I just question their decisions sometimes. But this is great news.

Why would they directly continue the story of a 14 year old game? Sure Dino Crisis 1 and 2 were moderate successes back in the day but the audience that intimately knows those characters and plot are likely dwarfed by those who are not familiar with the series in the potential audience of current gamers because they weren't even born or were only a few years old. Also look at recent entries in some of Capcom's other, larger franchises. Both Lost Planet 3 and DmC were pretty much full on reboots and likely indicative of what you can realistically expect from a Dino Crisis revival.

Seriously. I haven't even considered they'd carry on with whatever plot there was.

Top Bottom