• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: CD Projekt RED looking to release Cyberpunk 2077 in late 2016

Stiler

This game and Red Dead Redemption 2 are the two main games I want to see.

Really really hope one of them is at least shown off in 2016.

True Fire

Why do publishers keep fooling themselves with optimistic targets? This is a 2017/18 game. Bethesda had the right idea by announcing Fallout 4 when it was already finished.

Falchion

I had no clue they were trying to push for a release so soon after Witcher 3. I need to hurry through Wild Hunt I guess.

tuxfool

Banned
Not happening. One of the directors of W3 said that as of May 2014 Cyberpunk was still a (really thick) pile of design documents.

Bethesda self publishes, and CDPR has to attract a publisher.

CDP self-publishes too, they only need distributors everywhere that's not Central/Eastern Europe.

And that date for Cyberpunk 2077 is obviously the "source's" asspull. We may see the game on E3 if we're lucky, but that's it for 2016.

swit

Bethesda self publishes, and CDPR has to attract a publisher.
untrue. CDPR self publishes too. What you think of is distributing (and particpating in marketing budget - distributors substracts these costs from CDP revenue on retail sales) not actual publishing.

I would love to be wrong, but not a chance CDPR will get this out next year. They have raised the bar so high from what I now expect of RPG's with the Witcher 3, they have a tough act to follow. Good luck CDPR, I can't wait to see what they release.

Mr.Mike

A lot of the work on The Witcher 3 would have been put into the tooling. That's work they won't have to do on Cyberpunk 2077 since a lot of it has already been done. And it seems that a lot of the pre-production and design work would have been done already over the last few years that they were already doing a little bit of work on it.

I don't think a quick turnaround is really that crazy, especially on the same generation.

injurai

Banned
CDP self-publishes too, they only need distributors everywhere that's not Central/Eastern Europe.

And that date for Cyberpunk 2077 is obviously the "source's" asspull. We may see the game on E3 if we're lucky, but that's it for 2016.

Ahh, I was confused about their partner relation, thanks. Yeah I'm not expecting 2016 either. Even if they could squeeze it I'd rather them take the extra time, as they did with TW3.

-MD-

I'm fully expecting it to release in 2017.

If they feel they're ready by next year then go for it, I just want them to take their time.

Daingurse

Hopefully this time you won't ask them to cut a large part of base game and sell it as expansion

tumblr_inline_mi32zuHWHh1qz4rgp.gif

ViciousDS

Banned
No fucking way it hits 2016, especially with it being more ambitious than anticipated. Also witcher 3 is still being supported heavily.

Zukuu

Banned
Doesn't sound likely to me considering that they just finished Witcher 3. Then again, maybe they will increase their workforce even more and I bet the were working on the game, at least partially (like story writers, art assets etc) for a while now. If I trust anyone to pull it off, it is CDPR.

A lot of the work on The Witcher 3 would have been put into the tooling. That's work they won't have to do on Cyberpunk 2077 since a lot of it has already been done. And it seems that a lot of the pre-production and design work would have been done already over the last few years that they were already doing a little bit of work on it.

I don't think a quick turnaround is really that crazy, especially on the same generation.

Toolset may be there, but it's gonna require a lot of asset work to get it to similar levels of detail that the Witcher 3 was. I also remember them pulling people off of 2077 to work on getting W3 out the door. Regardless, I'm excited to see what they bring to the table.

Hopefully this time you won't ask them to cut a large part of base game and sell it as expansion

lol still holding onto that eh?

Witcher 3 is an amazing game whether or not I felt Skellige padded out the games length a little too much. I'm glad they put it in the game so people felt they got their money's worth, but I wouldn't have said no to a slightly tighter 50-60 hour Witcher experience. And I say that after putting in 180 hours into 2 playthroughs.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
If this came out after TW3 Expansion 2 (the bigger one unless I'm mistaken), I'd maybe sorta believe, but I'm thinking Fall 2017, if not later.

Doesn't mean I'd be happy to be proven wrong, though.

Aren't they still hiring people to work on this? Aren't there still open job postings? 2016 would be awesome, but really that early? Figure they would have the marketing machine up and running if its releasing next year.

KorrZ

I'm really not expecting it - but I would totally take it in a damn heartbeat.

After The Witcher 3 I'm in on anything CDPR makes.

GHG

Gold Member
Will PC hardware be ready by 2016 though?

That is the question.

Also didn't they previously state that this game would release on the next generation of consoles (PS5/Xbox One2)?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Clicked on the thread thinking "This is probably some 2013 thread some asshole just revived".
Alright CDP. I'll be there.

Top Bottom