• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Destiny 2 coming to PC

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Can it be released next year? :D

I need more Destiny. Rise of Iron is fine but I want more-more-more and improoooved. :D

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
On the one hand it's good news for the game but on the other a lot of the people I play with will switch to PC and I'll be all alone.

Would be curious if they cap the PC version at 30fps.

laughing-hyur.gif

would definitely be in for a PC version.

You probably get to keep your cosmetics and things from e-verse.
Yes, exactly - our guardians will carry over. Emblems and emotes would be nice too. I feel like your post above is spreading misinformation just to be provocative. I know you're a regular on DGAF who should know better.

Here's a quote from Luke Timmons:
“We certainly take it seriously that Destiny is a ten-year thing. It’s a long-term thing and with these adventures that we’re adding my contract to you – and any player – is that your Guardian will always be there. We’re going to keep adding new stuff for you to do and I’d hope you’ll look at The Taken King and be like, ‘I’m looking forward to logging on again and hooking [up with] friends online’.”

If I have to trash my character for Destiny 2 to be a better game so be it. My character was a few sliders. I don't feel attached to it. The weapons and gear change all the time because the old stuff becomes obsolete.

Exactly my thoughts as well. It's not like there has been a massive amount of customization to the game. Everyone has been after the same raid armor, and we all know the best weapons (
disclaimer: I haven't played RoI yet
). I'm not attached to my guardian at all. He's a non-character.

LiK

I have also heard that D2 is coming to PC and that Vicarious Visions is working on it. Don't know about raid matchmaking (that'd be dumb imo unless they finally make matchmaking an option rather than a setting).

I expect D2 to feel more like a new game than a continuation of D1. What I heard is that the reason it was rebooted earlier this year (and is now helmed by GAF poster Luke Smith) is because the original version felt too much like an expansion. I'm expecting them to change everything. I don't think Bungie has decided yet what you'll be able to bring over from year 1 or what you'll get as a reward for being a long-term player. But I expect a fresh start.

A shader and emblem is all we'll get.

blamite

This will absolutely never happen but what if Destiny 2 kept literally everything from D1 and in addition to revamping things charater and progression-wise added a bunch of new planets and locations on existing planets that took full advantage of the new game hile still leaving everything e have now still available as like a "legacy mode" or something?

On the one hand it's good news for the game but on the other a lot of the people I play with will switch to PC and I'll be all alone.

Join us.

In Destiny 1 auto aim is one of the key attributes of weapons (handling), they probably going to change that, or have different balance on consoles and PC.

Auto-aim is useless with keyboard and mouse, if they honestly don't let me disable it because of "feel" than I'm gonna have a hearty guffaw.

Deku Tree

Yes, exactly - our guardians will carry over. Emblems and emotes would be nice too. I feel like your post above is spreading misinformation just to be provocative. I know you're a regular on DGAF who should know better.

Here's a quote from Luke Timmons:

On the contrary I am posting what I believe to be true. I don't think your "progress" is going to come with you.

I think you'll get to possibly keep your grimoire, and your cosmetics, and your purchases. I don't think you'll get to keep your gally or your raze-lighter. And I think it should be that way. Bring on a new game. I don't want another expansion pack.

A shader and emblem is all we'll get.

Exactly

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Or maybe Activision is going to try break out from Steam monopoly and start their own system (which might explain why Battle.net is going away)

Battle.net is being rebranded to Blizzard [Something] so that it's aligned with recently-implemented client features (namely Blizzard Streaming and Blizzard Voice), which will all exist under the broader umbrella of Blizzard Tech. If anything, that points to the exact opposite -- Battle.net firmly remaining a service for Blizzard's own games and its own games only.

I admire Bungie's creative integrity and ability to reboot their projects if they are ultimately unsatisfied with it.

But how long is it going to take them to figure out what the hell they want this game to be?

Coolade

I hope but i dont trust the PC community because of cheaters...

I'm not too familiar with PC anti-cheat measures but hasn't Rainbow Six had success with BattleEye? Couldn't Activision just implement that or something similar? (maybe someone can fill me in if it's not that easy)

I admire Bungie's creative integrity and ability to reboot their projects if they are ultimately unsatisfied with it.

But how long is it going to take them to figure out what the hell they want this game to be?

They have been developing it since D1 came out, im sure the vision is fine its just secret right now.

Corpekata

Banned
I'm not too familiar with PC anti-cheat measures but hasn't Rainbow Six had success with BattleEye? Couldn't Activision just implement that or something similar? (maybe someone can fill me in if it's not that easy)

They would just need to keep info server side like every MMO under the sun which I think Destiny already does for console. Always online games on PC like pretty much every Blizzard game have no problems with cheating. The only notable exception was The Division because it store files client side.

On the contrary I am posting what I believe to be true. I don't think your "progress" is going to come with you.

I think you'll get to possibly keep your grimoire, and your cosmetics, and your purchases. I don't think you'll get to keep your gally or your raze-lighter. And I think it should be that way. Bring on a new game. I don't want another expansion pack.
I agree with you that your gear probably isn't carrying over, but you said characters.

I'm expecting something like we saw in Mass Effect 2 where you can choose whether to import any existing characters and change the cosmetics at that time, or just with a clean slate.

You're not getting any first-person shooters with crossplay.
I think the most we can realistically hope for is a unified environment like we used to see with PS3+PS4 where you progress is saved to the cloud and updated when you boot the game regardless of the platform. Hearthstone is a nice example of that right now, where your account remains the same whether you are playing on mobile or PC.

This is good news but I really wish we would get cross platform play for PvE content. I understand fully why you wouldn't allow cross play in PvP as mouse and keyboard would give a massive advantage.

If not I'll for sure still have to pickup the Playstation version instead of PC as I'm not sure I have a single friend on PC that would play regularly with me.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
People saying, "of course it will, it only makes sense", said the same thing about the first Destiny.

coolbrys

I've been cautiously optimistic that D2 will be coming to PC, and this just makes me slightly more confident. It really seems like it's heading that way. I just wanted to make my support known - I have Destiny with all expansions on both consoles and love the game. I have multiple friends without consoles that would buy Destiny day one if it was on PC.

This would be a very good idea on multiple levels! Bring on my PC Destiny!

Cels

wasn't there some podcast or stream or something where someone asked if destiny was coming to pc and the bungie person said "oh the first game? no" or something like that, implying destiny 2 would be headed to pc

Rocket League, Street Fighter.
Rocket League is best played with a controller, and SF is best played with an arcade stick.

I know you were just responding to his post without the intention of suggesting that Destiny wouldn't run into any problems being crossplay, I just think it's worthwhile to note that there's almost absolutely no way a game of a genre which provides those using keyboard and mouse with an advantage is going to be crossplay.

do it like gears 4, cross play on everything besides PvP.
A campaign that really doesn't serve any significance in the long run is rather different from Destiny, where all of its content is competitive.

Battle.net is being rebranded to Blizzard Something so that it's in line with the names of recently-implemented client features. If anything, that points to the exact opposite.

A little off topic but it does seem like there's a missed opportunity there. While it's been great that Activision has seemingly never intruded on what Blizzard does the fact that Activision never stepped in and made Battle.net the home to all things Blizzard AND Activision seems like a missed opportunity for Activision.

I have also heard that D2 is coming to PC and that Vicarious Visions is working on it. Don't know about raid matchmaking (that'd be dumb imo unless they finally make matchmaking an option rather than a setting).

I expect D2 to feel more like a new game than a continuation of D1. What I heard is that the reason it was rebooted earlier this year (and is now helmed by GAF poster Luke Smith) is because the original version felt too much like an expansion. I'm expecting them to change everything. I don't think Bungie has decided yet what you'll be able to bring over from year 1 or what you'll get as a reward for being a long-term player. But I expect a fresh start.

At first I was opposed to a fresh start but after almost three years of this I am ready for something new. I expect a drastic change in Destiny 2.

Tower attack/destroyed by Cabal
Guardian subclasses either evolve or totally change
More open world type shooter (you don't have to go back to the social hub as much)
Collect bounties, missions, quests in the field
Explore the City
Explore other planets/areas
Explain shit

yuraya

I thought this game would just be a never ending expansion after expansion on top of the first game similar to games like WoW. I didn't think there would actually be a Destiny 2.

I keep hearing about 'what do you want for Destiny 2' and other fan-talk about the sequel and I don't get it: isn't Destiny like an MMO in that it will keep expanding for years and not have sequels? Maybe with the the next console generation. It seems really off that they'll split the userbase between to massive games within the same generation.
Also, I am willing to bet they won't call it '2' but use a subtitle- ala MMO style.

I don't know. I'd jump into a 'Destiny 2' because I feel I missed the boat with the current, but I don't see it happening. They spent too much time, effort and money establishing this big new IP that is MMO-ish. Seems too soon for a 'sequel' just yet. I could be wrong, though. it's just a gut feeling.

No this needs the 2. Destiny as fun as it is is basically a game of half baked ideas. It needs a totally fresh start. Just making it look like an expansion will not get that message across, this needs to be a new game entirely.

I am hoping Destiny 2 joins the ranks of the best sequels of all time.

This is the best console game that needs to be on PC.

I have a perfect group of friends that would gel so well with Destiny but they're all PC only.

I know you were just responding to his post without the intention of suggesting that Destiny wouldn't run into any problems being crossplay, I just think it's worthwhile to note that there's almost absolutely no way a game of a genre which provides those using keyboard and mouse with an advantage is going to be crossplay.

It would have no problems being cross play with PvE / Co-op content. Gears 4 is about to implement it.

I don't understand the hate with raid matchmaking. How is going on Bnet and getting a bunch of random strangers ANY different than matchmaking? How could it possibly make the raid worse??

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Any Destiny 2 that gets rid of old content is going to be a very tough sell to me. I want to be able to play any of the previous strikes or raids, patrols, etc.

Top Bottom