• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Destiny 2 coming to PC

Acidote

Yeah, if that happens I'll probably be switching from PS4 to PC. And it would be 100% sure if there was crossplay with PS4.

Deku Tree

MS and Sony are never gonna let you look at your friends list on the other console or on PC. Cross play would only mean in match made activities. And then it's pointless because the game will have a huge population anyway.

BizzyBum

Controllers vs. m+kb is not as huge as a gap as most people think. Maybe for really precise shooters like CS:GO but there are FPS games like Halo where people preferred controller over m+kb back when Halo 2 was on PC and currently in Halo 5. Destiny has a lot of aim assist so just keep that for controllers and remove it for m+kb.

mcrommert

Banned
do it like gears 4, cross play on everything besides PvP.

would buy D2 on PC. Everytime i play D1 on PS4 i wish i could play it on my PC.

Exactly...mutli is garbage anyways...pve is the reason for the game

Thats why i would call out the xbox platform...normal steam to xbox/ps4 crossplay would not solve any issues because they are lacking a friends list in common

MS and Sony are never gonna let you look at your friends list on the other console or on PC. Cross play would only mean in match made activities. And then it's pointless because the game will have a huge population anyway.

Don't they already let you do that today? the pc part

Belakor

Banned
If they want to reach the original hype levels this game had,they need to reboot it and succeed.It's the only way we'll get what Destiny was promised to be

I don't understand the hate with raid matchmaking. How is going on Bnet and getting a bunch of random strangers ANY different than matchmaking? How could it possibly make the raid worse??
Seems that a lot of people in here have gotten really lucky with their raid groups.

A pug is a pug, and whether it's found in-game or from a third-party website, you're still just as likely to run into a bunch of scrubs.

My best groups in WoW were found through dungeon finder. My worst through the manual group finder.

LordRaptor

What are the odds that this would also be an Xbox Play Anywhere title? Seems like a no-brainer to do that.

There aren't any publishers not named Microsoft who have any interest in giving away free builds of games they could otherwise sell in order to prop up a failing and unpopular storefront whose only USP is that MS are in sole control of it.

Noirulus

Not buying unless there's cross-play. I have too many friends established on the PS4 version already.

Are there any games that allow PC/PS4 crossplay? The only one I can think of is Final Fantasy XIV, and I'm not even sure if that's true or something I made up?

FFXIV is 100% crossplay. Me (PC) and my friend (PS4) played the game together on the same server.

Deadbeat

Banned
I've already seen the dlc, micro transactions, and general consumer fuckery with destiny 1. Fat chance I'm going near the second game until it is heavily discounted.

And then it's pointless because the game will have a huge population anyway.

See that's the thing. I'm really not sure how this will do on PC. I would hate to pick up the PC version and then it become a wasteland.

Consoles without a doubt will have massive population for Destiny 2 so without some form of crossplay the PC version is possibly a wait and see

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
What about NX?
This is just purely me, not being informed about this at all but: I don't think so.

But maybe Nintendo can convince Activision like they did with COD on WiiU.

My disposition towards third party partnerships that aren't indies and Nintendo is generally negative though, so take it with a grain of salt.

def sim

I don't understand the hate with raid matchmaking. How is going on Bnet and getting a bunch of random strangers ANY different than matchmaking? How could it possibly make the raid worse??

I get that sense that people are assuming it's an either/or situation.

And a well-implimented in-game group finder can have filters too.

I don't disagree, I'm just saying to do it right would require something beyond the matchmaking systems that are currently in Destiny. Bungie would have to do extra work to implement it successfully and I understand why they decided to just wait for the sequel to do it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A little off topic but it does seem like there's a missed opportunity there. While it's been great that Activision has seemingly never intruded on what Blizzard does the fact that Activision never stepped in and made Battle.net the home to all things Blizzard AND Activision seems like a missed opportunity for Activision.

That was likely the intention (and then some) circa 2010 as the leaked Blizzard roadmap had "Bnet23rdParties" slated for 2012. Why the plan was shelved is anyone's guess.

Uhh, I've played an insane number of hours of Destiny and never touch the PVP. Couldn't give a fuck less about it.
Every aspect of Destiny is competitive. The PvE is competitive. The PvP is competitive. It's an online-only game specifically to prevent people from cheating and gaining an unfair advantage over others.

Deku Tree

See that's the thing. I'm really not sure how this will do on PC. I would hate to pick up the PC version and then it become a wasteland.

Consoles without a doubt will have massive population for Destiny 2 so without some form of crossplay the PC version is possibly a wait and see

Except cross play would means console players will have to deal with KB&M players and aim bots and cheaters. No thanks.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yes, it needs to be a new game.

I want new planets. New vehicles. New classes. New space ship levels. Let us fly our damn ships.

I want gorgeous next gen graphics. Their artstyle is great, but we need next gen lighting, next gen foliage, next gen visual effects.

I want more than one raid for a $60 game. At least 10 strikes. People run strikes more than they run single player missions. Make a nice 10 mission 5 hour long campaign with setpieces then move on to 3 player quests for post campaign missions. then turn those into strikes.

Tagyhag

I really hope so, playing Destiny at 60fps would be amazing (And that's not happening on the Pro because of the parity, apparently). I would even be OK if I had to start a new character rather than be able to transfer the one from my PS4.

Either way, I'll definitely wait a while on Destiny 2 just in case this does happen.

Every aspect of Destiny is competitive. The PvE is competitive. The PvP is competitive. It's an online-only game specifically to prevent people from cheating and gaining an unfair advantage over others.

I don't follow. What's competitive about the PVE like strikes, story missions, and raids?

As much as I would like to have Destiny on PC I won't give up my PS4 progress. If I could transfer, at this point I think I would rather have it for Scorpio actually.

Yes, it needs to be a new game.

I want new planets. New vehicles. New classes. New space ship levels. Let us fly our damn ships.

I want gorgeous next gen graphics. Their artstyle is great, but we need next gen lighting, next gen foliage, next gen visual effects.

I want more than one raid for a $60 game. At least 10 strikes. People run strikes more than they run single player missions. Make a nice 10 mission 5 hour long campaign with setpieces then move on to 3 player quests for post campaign missions. then turn those into strikes.
this guy gets it

I don't follow. What's competitive about the PVE like strikes, story missions, and raids?
PC gamers wouldn't have a reason to include console gamers in their groups. Someone on PC would have significantly higher damage output with less effort, and would serve as a more valuable member in a group.

And yes, as others have pointed out, Bungie has no track record on PC. There will be cheaters. Console gamers don't want to play with them.

As much as I would like to have Destiny on PC I won't give up my PS4 progress. If I could transfer, at this point I think I would rather have it for Scorpio actually.
It depends on what all you're giving up. It's very unlikely they're gonna let everybody who bought their first game and all of its DLC start off with 350+ light level, and leave everybody else at level 1.

Tagyhag

Except cross play would means console players will have to deal with KB&M players and aim bots and cheaters. No thanks.

You can already use KB&M on the PS4/X1 with third party tools.

Just have it be cross play on noncompetitive modes. Unless you don't feel like being carried? :p

jaaz

This is not surprising. Gamers seem to be craving good space games. Just look at the sales of No Man's Sky (no matter what you thought of it, it sold well), the crowdfunding success of Star Citizen, the success of Elite, etc. While Destiny 2 is not expected to be a space sim like the latter two games, if they can keep the Destiny gun play and expand the combat missions and exploration--and maybe add rudimentary ship flight--the game will sell millions upon millions of copies.

Inskipp

Wasn't that the plan from the start?

Talking about their 10 year plan thing that got leaked from the Cod trial.

Here's the document.
It might be fair to assume that this particular document is out of date. For one, the dates mentioned with the line-up do not match with the current reality:

3LGNU2X.png

This bit of the document specifies the first game being initially planned to be released in 2013, with sequels following up after a 2-year window, and with each title receiving DLC spanning through 1 year after initial release.

Also, while the document does mention "Destiny Game #2" being developed for personal computers with Windows-based operating systems, it also makes mention of planned development for 360/PS3 systems, which I don't really see happening, considering the fact that their newer DLC expansions are not supported in previous generation-consoles. Which, to me, states that a lot that is mentioned in this is subject to change, and isn't an actual guarantee of how things will pan out.

Which is a shame, because the notion of a PC Destiny-title could be rather enticing. The success of Warframe, The Division and the likes indicate that there is a potent demand for persistent RPG-products. Whether or not Bungie/Acti decide to tap into it remains to be seen, as they seem rather undecided on the matter atm.

Would totally buy it on PC if it did. Would probably be more playable for me. I'm not awful, but I'm not that good at console shooters lol.

Deku Tree

You can already use KB&M on the PS4/X1 with third party tools.

Just have it be cross play on noncompetitive modes. Unless you don't feel like being carried? :p

Yeah but destiny has some of the strongest auto aim in a shooter on console. I know about the KB&M accessories btw. Sony is also going to start selling an official one for $150 I think. But on console using one is very rare. If you cross play with PC then everyone on PC will be using one.

mcrommert

Banned
It might be fair to assume that this particular document is out of date. For one, the dates mentioned with the line-up do not match with the current reality:

This bit of the document specifies first game being initially planned to be released in 2013, with sequels following up after a 2-year window, and with each title receiving DLC spanning through 1 year after initial release.

Also, while the document does mention "Destiny Game #2" being developed for personal computers with Windows-based operating systems, it also makes mention of planned development for 360/PS3 systems, which I don't really see happening, considering the fact that their newer DLC expansions are not supported in previous generation-consoles. Which, to me, states that a lot that is mentioned in this is subject to change, and isn't an actual guarantee of how things will pan out.

Which is a shame, because the notion of a PC Destiny-title could be rather enticing. The success of Warframe, The Division and the likes indicate that there is a potent demand for persistent RPG-products. Whether or not Bungie/Acti decide to tap into it remains to be seen, as they seem rather undecided on the matter atm.

It is weird that they would choose to not have a pc version for destiny 1 but for #2....its almost if they knew that a certain storefront was coming...and decided to wait till it was ready to release on pc

/s

molnizzle

I wonder how they're going to balance this for M/KB considering that "aim assist" is basically a weapon stat in Destiny. The best guns in the game have high aim assist values and that won't be nearly as important on PC. Will they let PC players turn it off? PC version might have an entirely different meta.

There aren't any publishers not named Microsoft who have any interest in giving away free builds of games they could otherwise sell in order to prop up a failing and unpopular storefront whose only USP is that MS are in sole control of it.

Isn't Ark on XPA? And We Happy Few? And Cuphead? They're not Microsoft published games.

Top Bottom