• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Destiny 2 coming to PC

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I want a halo like story campaign that can be done in coop the same way Halo was. You can split the chapters into "missions" for replayability but they key is that it needs to feel like a campaign. None of this randomly split stories with a small synopsis in front. Full on cutscenes, giant setpieces, boss battles. We need to have battlefields with vehicle combat, including space craft. It's ridiculous to have a game about the entire galaxy have no space gameplay.

The strikes should be redone so that they play out like mini raids that are run with three people. They need more puzzle oriented team based missions and there should be a bunch of them.

The patrol should be its own MMO like space with random quests. Larger areas to mess around with, tons of secrets to find, different difficulty level areas like have a part of the map filled with super high level enemies so you have some sort of progression.

Raids should keep doing what they are doing as it's the only thing I feel they nailed in destiny 1. Just have more of them.

On top of all there should be real modifiers to all the content so that it feels fresh. Just making it harder and making one weapon type do more damage is not changing things. Have missions go full remix with entirely different enemy load outs. Create boss rush modes. Have speed run events where the community competes in certain mission for the best times and the top half wins something. Create weekly exotic bounty challenges, why the hell is some random dude just standing around giving you this crap, turn that into quality content!

We need stuff TO PLAY. The grind sucks, repetition sucks. It shouldn't be that damn hard to constantly create new ways to play old missions, to create events.
Great post. It's bizarre how they barely have any Cutscenes in their games now. no vehicle sections either. Halo 3 chapter four had a massive tank battle, chapter five had a massive air battle. Ten years ago. Reach had a space battle. A very long one at that. This is not the same damn developer.

Characters not carrying over is gonna to be a complete shit show for them. I know if the reward isn't there, I don't know if I'm prepared to just toss everything away after 2000+ hours. One of my biggest issues with them is not respecting your time and making the last couple years irrelevant is the biggest slap in the face.

void666

Banned
If i could play with friends on ps4 and solo on pc using the same account, that would be great.
If not, i'll stick with the console version.

Arrrammis

i stopped at house of wolves but what the point of 2 without all the content of 1
it's a huge miss on lore. How will they handle that ?

TBH, they did a horribly bad job of showing the story in vanilla destiny. They had scraps of 5+ different storylines and jumped back and forth without really explaining anything. I doubt they will do this, but a part of me hopes they retcon out the events of vanilla Destiny and redo those stories as 1-2 small expansions. Maybe an expansion focusing on Rasputin, learning about the collapse, and possibly facing the Cabal while looking for Charlemagne. Then a second expansion focusing on the Vex, highlighting the Stranger, the heart of the black garden, and ending in the Vault of Glass.

I recently cancelled my PS plus as I never used it. Went back to try Destiny this week and saw how hobbled it is without it, so I'd definitely be up for D2 on PC with no stupid multiplayer costs

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'll have to see it, to believe it. They had this lofty plan from the start with Destiny (1) and it just kept getting pushed back till it was just let go. Rumors aside they can have it on their list but whether it actually gets done or not is another story.

The rumor is that Bungie is not actually making it. Vicarious Visions is.

Draft

Characters carrying over is dumb. OK you spent 1,000 hours leveling warlocks and titans and hunters. Great, you want to spend another 1,000 hours playing those characters with their existing subclasses that by the way are already completely maxed out? No.

New character archetypes inspired by the existing ones. New subclasses. Maybe some cosmetic toys for people with Destiny 1 accounts and characters, but carrying over progress? Not a good idea and also not fun!

I want a halo like story campaign that can be done in coop the same way Halo was. You can split the chapters into "missions" for replayability but they key is that it needs to feel like a campaign. None of this randomly split stories with a small synopsis in front. Full on cutscenes, giant setpieces, boss battles. We need to have battlefields with vehicle combat, including space craft. It's ridiculous to have a game about the entire galaxy have no space gameplay.

The strikes should be redone so that they play out like mini raids that are run with three people. They need more puzzle oriented team based missions and there should be a bunch of them.

The patrol should be its own MMO like space with random quests. Larger areas to mess around with, tons of secrets to find, different difficulty level areas like have a part of the map filled with super high level enemies so you have some sort of progression.

Raids should keep doing what they are doing as it's the only thing I feel they nailed in destiny 1. Just have more of them.

On top of all there should be real modifiers to all the content so that it feels fresh. Just making it harder and making one weapon type do more damage is not changing things. Have missions go full remix with entirely different enemy load outs. Create boss rush modes. Have speed run events where the community competes in certain mission for the best times and the top half wins something. Create weekly exotic bounty challenges, why the hell is some random dude just standing around giving you exotics every week , turn that into quality content!

We need stuff TO PLAY. The grind sucks, repetition sucks. It shouldn't be that damn hard to constantly create new ways to play old missions, to create events.
Also, find a way to make all Raids relevant regardless of when they were released. I want to run Crota again but what's the point if I can just solo it?

TBH, they did a horribly bad job of showing the story in vanilla destiny. They had scraps of 5+ different storylines and jumped back and forth without really explaining anything. I doubt they will do this, but a part of me hopes they retcon out the events of vanilla Destiny and redo those stories as 1-2 small expansions. Maybe an expansion focusing on Rasputin, learning about the collapse, and possibly facing the Cabal while looking for Charlemagne. Then a second expansion focusing on the Vex, highlighting the Stranger, the heart of the black garden, and ending in the Vault of Glass.
Those would be pretty shitty expansions to relearn everything that most hardcore Destiny players already know.

It makes sense, they purposely put the first game on Xbox 360 and PS3 for the extra sales, even though it was limiting to the final product. Now they can still get extra sales, plus not have to be limited by last generation hardware, win win.

martino

why not.
Curious to see what it will be if they bring it to pc.

I would demand cross platform play

You get boatloads of aim assist, I get none and a keyboard and mouse. That's gotta balance it out somewhat right?

I would demand cross platform play

You get boatloads of aim assist, I get none and a keyboard and mouse. That's gotta balance it out somewhat right?

As others have noted already, in Destiny aim assist is actually a hidden variable on each gun. It's not the same across the board. Removing it completely for PC would remove one of the most important attributes that differentiates guns from one another.

Characters not carrying over is gonna to be a complete shit show for them. I know if the reward isn't there, I don't know if I'm prepared to just toss everything away after 2000+ hours. One of my biggest issues with them is not respecting your time and making the last couple years irrelevant is the biggest slap in the face.
Exactly. I sincerely hope it's not the route they're planning on taking. If they are, then good luck to them.
Destiny 1: Become Legend
Destiny 2: err, see what had happened was..

As others have noted already, in Destiny aim assist is actually a hidden variable on each gun. It's not the same across the board. Removing it completely for PC would remove one of the most important attributes that differentiates guns from one another.

Honestly, no PC gamer would care if the aim assist was just gone regardless of it its a stat or not. We'd just select perks that don't prioritize aim assist.

Draft

Hilariously, the most game changing thing if Destiny is on PC: a chat box. Channels. Whispers. Party chat. /yell. Really changes the social dynamic in a positive way.

Plasma

Banned
It was one of the more interesting things about Destiny in the first place being able to create a character and have it work across multiple games. Can you imagine if Bioware had turned around and said fuck it we're getting rid of Shepard you have to create a new character in ME2.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm assuming they'll let you import a similar character model and then give you a variety of vanity items and titles to reflect your previous progress.

Maybe something like a 10% experience booster as well.

Your gear would presumably become outdated anyway so...

Plotwise I'm expecting it to basically pick up where Rise of Iron leaves off.

Voho

Hilariously, the most game changing thing if Destiny is on PC: a chat box. Channels. Whispers. Party chat. /yell. Really changes the social dynamic in a positive way.

The same could be said if Destiny 2 had an on-by-default voice proximity chat, as in Halo 2.

Zemm

My only complaint about the console version was having to play an FPS game with thumbsticks, ugh. Having a PC version is perfect.

It was one of the more interesting things about Destiny in the first place being able to create a character and have it work across multiple games. Can you imagine if Bioware had turned around and said fuck it we're getting rid of Shepard you have to create a new character in ME2.
Well technically that did happen.

Gator86

The last couple years have been irrelevant. Destiny is a game, not a career. It's not their fault people decided to spend 1000 hours running the same strikes over and over for years. If they want to make D2 great, breaking with a lot of D1 seems necessary. Maybe dropping existing characters won't be, but if it is, they sure as hell shouldn't hesitate to do it. I think 4 expansions and three years is enough for one game, especially since Destiny players love saying its not an MMO, so there's no expectation for anything to carry over.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Not sure why you're all desperate for characters to carry over into Destiny 2, just limits what they can do...

I'm assuming they'll let you import a similar character model and then give you a variety of vanity items and titles to reflect your previous progress.

Maybe something like a 10% experience booster as well.

Your gear would presumably become outdated anyway so...

Plotwise I'm expecting it to basically pick up where Rise of Iron leaves off.
I think Bungie will release a free small story DLC that will end with the Destiny universe being changed and lead into the sequel.

How many sequels do you transfer from the first game? Barely any. I'd prefer to start fresh if I bought the game.

Exactly. I sincerely hope it's not the route they're planning on taking. If they are, then good luck to them.
Destiny 1: Become Legend
Destiny 2: err, see what had happened was..

I see it now...opening sequence you have all of your gear and quest items and you feel awesome. End of the first mission they kill your character off with a swarm of dregs and your ghost is unable to rez you because reasons. 100 years later you are found again by a different ghost now voiced by Bobcat Golthwait and all your gear has been picked over and you must now destroy The Shank who sold it all for reason only found on Bungie.net.

It's not as if they can't let you import your character but just not give you any of your old items. They could have a tier of tokens based on playing time or achievements that award glimmer, exotic engrams, etc.

jrcbandit

But you did have to create a new character for ME2. None of your levels/development or inventory carried over, other than I think you get a little bit of extra XP to start the game with. You could completely change your look due to the surgery aspects. And I doubt in Destiny anyone actually cares about what they look like without armor, it's all about collecting various overpowered guns plus armor to make you look sexy.

Not sure why you're all desperate for characters to carry over into Destiny 2, just limits what they can do...
We just want our unique looking characters to carry over. It wouldn't feel right if I had to create a new character. It wouldn't limit anything.
But you did have to create a new character for ME2. None of your levels/development or inventory carried over, other than I think you get a little bit of extra XP to start the game with. You could completely change your look due to the surgery aspects. And I doubt in Destiny anyone actually cares about what they look like without armor, it's all about collecting various overpowered guns plus armor to make you look sexy.
You could also have your ME character stay looking the same. Lots of people have attachment to their created characters.

The same could be said if Destiny 2 had an on-by-default voice proximity chat, as in Halo 2.

I've been saying this since before Destiny even launched. Huge mistake to exclude prox voice, at the very least in the Tower and other social spaces.

Makes me think if there's a PC version Bungie will disable text chatting and people will have to use third party apps to talk to each other :p

your argument here is watered down because it did carry over for Mass Effect 3.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Save_File_Transfer#Character_Transfer_2

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think Bungie will release a free small story DLC that will end with the Destiny universe being changed and lead into the sequel.

So admittedly I haven't played Rise of Iron yet or completely exhausted The Taken King's post campaign story content, but where I ended up, the plotline was:

The head of the Cabal Empire had been signaled to come attack our solar system, similar to Oryx. The game also heavily implied that Mara Sov was still alive and had some kind of plan going.

To my knowledge, Rise of Iron is about the Fallen and nanomachines/mutation stuff instead.

Bungie also talked about how Xur and Rahool were going to be major plot characters in an upcoming game. Are they in Rise of Iron?

If not, it would suggest that Destiny 2 is probably taking place pretty close to the current timeline. Maybe a few years later?

I might be misunderstanding you and that's what you meant though, or just completely misunderstanding the current storyline.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I would absolutely buy and play the hell out of a PC version.

Lol this is true. It's amazing how un-social Destiny is for a game that's supposed to be social. In game chat off by default. No proximity chat. No text chat or communication wheel. No matchmaking for most of the activities. No LFG system. I think they only just now added the ability to see if clan members were online.

Adding a run of the mill MMO chat box would fundamentally change/improve the social aspect of the game.

Gator86

I see it now...opening sequence you have all of your gear and quest items and you feel awesome. End of the first mission they kill your character off with a swarm of dregs and your ghost is unable to rez you because reasons. 100 years later you are found again by a different ghost now voiced by Bobcat Golthwait and all your gear has been picked over and you must now destroy The Shank who sold it all for reason only found on Bungie.net.

At least on par with Bungie's efforts. I would be fine with them bringing characters over only to get metroided at the beginning and lose all their stuff.

Deku Tree

So admittedly I haven't played Rise of Iron yet or completely exhausted The Taken King's post campaign story content, but where I ended up, the plotline was:

The head of the Cabal Empire had been signaled to come attack our solar system, similar to Oryx. The game also heavily implied that the Mara Sov was still alive and had some kind of plan going.

To my knowledge, Rise of Iron is about the Fallen and nanomachines/mutation stuff instead.

Bungie also talked about how Xur and the Rahool were going to be major plot characters in an upcoming game. Are they in Rise of Iron?

If not, it would suggest that Destiny 2 is probably taking place pretty close to the current timeline. Maybe a few years later?

I might be misunderstanding you and that's what you meant though, or just completely misunderstanding the current storyline.

No

The head of the Cabal Empire had been signaled to come attack our solar system, similar to Oryx. The game also heavily implied that the Mara Sov was still alive and had some kind of plan going.

Bungie also talked about how Xur and the Rahool were going to be major plot characters in an upcoming game. Are they in Rise of Iron?

You are correct; the story in Rise of Iron is a self-contained distraction from the main story. It's great and a ton of fun, but in no way will lead up to Destiny 2.

I'm 200% on board for the reboot. Flush my characters; that's fine, but let's get it right this time too.

Tell an actual story. Don't bury your expansive lore outside of the game. Provide more varied and interesting things to do. Maintain the strong mechanics.

I wanted to believe in Destiny so badly, and while post TTK Destiny was probably where that game should have launched and was really a pretty solid package by then, there's still plenty of room for improvement. I can't bear to deal with another failed launch product again while they figure it out a second time. Come on guys. I'm rooting for you.

What's going to be the Barrens Chat of Destiny? Or the [Dirge] spam? I kinda want to see a new [Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

Shikoba

I'm all on board for a PC version, provided... it's not a terrible pc port >.>

I'm fine with a reboot. From what I understand the story we got was... well not what was originally planned. And it shows.

I would like Bungie to add a 3rd Person mode to Destiny 2. I like using swords because I can see my character. Would like to be able to do that all the time.

At least a 3rd person pvp mode.

Top Bottom