• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Destiny 2 coming to PC

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
a loot based competitive shooter on PC, what could possibly go wrong?

I'll stick with console

Bolivar687

Banned
Destiny's art design with added fluidity and low latency from PC would be amazing. Here's hoping they allow unlocked framerates.

In this case it would be a literal no-brainer. Third party AAA devs have no incentive to do it.

I can't help but believe Microsoft's goal is to convince them it is a good idea. Once this first batch of XPA games are out in the wild, I'm sure they'll have numbers they can spin to show why it is a good option to use.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. Switching from Xbox to PC while playing ReCore is great. And I wish I could do that with all my games.

Yes, it needs to be a new game.

I want new planets. New vehicles. New classes. New space ship levels. Let us fly our damn ships.

I want gorgeous next gen graphics. Their artstyle is great, but we need next gen lighting, next gen foliage, next gen visual effects.

I want more than one raid for a $60 game. At least 10 strikes. People run strikes more than they run single player missions. Make a nice 10 mission 5 hour long campaign with setpieces then move on to 3 player quests for post campaign missions. then turn those into strikes.

this

Detective

Bungie already got people hooked on a game I personally find it shallow. Now imagine what these guys can do if they introduce a great sp experience and an evolution of Destiny 1 MP. A complete game with no rush. It will be amazing. They know how to capture gamers.

Unlike others who takes what amazing and turns it into whatever.

Can't wait ti see what they bring to the table.

zeox

You can already use KB&M on the PS4/X1 with third party tools.

Just have it be cross play on noncompetitive modes. Unless you don't feel like being carried? :p

translating mouse movement to a analog controller is not even remotely close to actual mouse support

Deadstar

Bungie already got people hooked on a game I personally find it shallow. Now imagine what these guys can do if they introduce a great sp experience and an evolution of Destiny 1 MP. A complete game with no rush. It will be amazing. They know how to capture gamers.

Unlike others who takes what amazing and turns it into whatever.

Can't wait ti see what they bring to the table.

I really hate the Destiny competitive multiplayer. It's maybe one of the worst multiplayer experiences I've ever had. It's just not fun. I'm not sure what they could do to improve it but after loving Halo multiplayer, I have absolutely ZERO interest in ever playing competitive again. They should just drop it from the game and focus on PVE.

I don't understand the hate with raid matchmaking. How is going on Bnet and getting a bunch of random strangers ANY different than matchmaking? How could it possibly make the raid worse??

I'm more concerned if adding in a matchmaking will reduce the cooperation difficulty in raids.

I really hate the Destiny competitive multiplayer. It's maybe one of the worst multiplayer experiences I've ever had. It's just not fun. I'm not sure what they could do to improve it but after loving Halo multiplayer, I have absolutely ZERO interest in ever playing competitive again. They should just drop it from the game and focus on PVE.
A good chunk of the Destiny community plays PvP. You can't just scrap it.

jaaz

I have a feeling this means Destiny 2 will be much more like an MMO. With a reportedly 500 people working on the game, it's likely some of those are Blizzard's WoW veterans. Maybe Destiny 2 will be the space MMO everyone thought was coming one day.

molnizzle

Yes, it needs to be a new game.

I want new planets. New vehicles. New classes. New space ship levels. Let us fly our damn ships.

I want gorgeous next gen graphics. Their artstyle is great, but we need next gen lighting, next gen foliage, next gen visual effects.

I want more than one raid for a $60 game. At least 10 strikes. People run strikes more than they run single player missions. Make a nice 10 mission 5 hour long campaign with setpieces then move on to 3 player quests for post campaign missions. then turn those into strikes.

Agree with most of this except the "next gen" graphics part. I really hope they're prioritizing 60fps over that. Do the best graphics you can do for 60fps sure but christ I need 60fps, this is a shooter.

didn't really understand why the first one wasn't there to begin with. like, why not?

I imagine developing and maintaining a 5th SKU on top of PS3, PS4, X360, and X1 was a bit much for a company with no PC release experience making their first new IP in 13 years that happened to be coming in really damn hot.

Detective

PVE could work too. Not everything has to be competitive you know. Most play for the fun factor.

I love it. The one thing they could do to improve it is add more vehicles à la Halo.

Are you one of those guys who kills teammates for the lols?

David___

Banned
I don't understand the hate with raid matchmaking. How is going on Bnet and getting a bunch of random strangers ANY different than matchmaking? How could it possibly make the raid worse??
You dont see the difference between getting specific roles filled with a "LF ____" vs reaching into a hat and randomly grabbing a class you may or may not need?

didn't really understand why the first one wasn't there to begin with. like, why not?

Eh, they always said they wanted to do a "Destiny 2". PC gamers usually like to spend years and years playing the same game, building the same community, especially with MMOs. Launching a "new" MMO so close(4 years or so) to the last release wouldn't be seen with good eyes in the PC community. So using what they've learned from the first release, and releasing a more robust game that I think they'll support for longer than Destiny seems like the best thing to release on PC.

hiryu

I've put a crap load of time into destiny since the original beta and I definitley hope D2 comes to PC as well. I would love cross play with consoles on non-competitive modes. Hell, I would be fine if they disabled mouse and keyboard on pc and made you use a controller.

I want a fresh start as well. Some cool extras for anyone who played the original would be nice but I don't want the old console tech holding the game back. Pretty pumped that Luke Smith is apparently directing the sequel as well.

Doesn't change the fact that enabling raid matchmaking literally in no way impacts your ability to find groups as you probably already have been.

If the raid "matchmaking" works the same as the matchmaking D1 has, I can say it will make the raids worse with zero doubt. The raids in Destiny right now are built upon the idea that everyone on the team will be in communication with one another and will work as a team. If you carry that design philosophy over to raids that can also be played by teams of six that the game just randomly throws together, it makes it very unlikely that random team gets the raid done. So in order to compensate, it's easy to imagine Bungie would change the raid design to less communication based and more firepower based. And that, IMO, would be worse.

Now if they just add an in-game LFG, that's fine and probably wouldn't change much. But straight up "I select an activity and it randomly puts me with people" would not be good for the raids.

martino

i stopped at house of wolves but what the point of 2 without all the content of 1
it's a huge miss on lore. How wil they handle that ?

martino

If it came to MP versus, console players would be demolished by KB+M users. Just saying.

Hey, it's an alternative while waiting for Borderlands 3.

but this game is also a coop raid shooter so ti can work here...seems not to be a problem for the division (it is elsewhere)

Raid matchmaking means communication is not required which means it's dumbed down and not really a raid in the destiny 1 sense.

If you didn't think the raids in Destiny were fun already this is good news. More people can play them hopefully, and they aren't tied to difficulty through obscure mechanics just for obscurity's sake.

keenerz

I'll have to see it, to believe it. They had this lofty plan from the start with Destiny (1) and it just kept getting pushed back till it was just let go. Rumors aside they can have it on their list but whether it actually gets done or not is another story.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Agree with most of this except the "next gen" graphics part. I really hope they're prioritizing 60fps over that. Do the best graphics you can do for 60fps sure but christ I need 60fps, this is a shooter.

i agree. 60 fps is why i bought a pc last gen and why i cried myself to sleep after the pro announcement and their focus on 4k instead of 60 fps.

but DICE and COD have proven you can do 60 fps with pretty graphics even on consoles. beta looked great and these single player missions look even better.

TheseOptimalBittern-size_restricted.gif

CreamyIllIchidna-size_restricted.gif

AliveExcitableGonolek-size_restricted.gif

If it's gonna be a whole new game I hope we can transfer our character and recognize our achievements.

it will be like most RPGs where you can bring over a skeleton of your character but thts about it. think mass effect and witcher.

Kalentan

Any Destiny 2 that gets rid of old content is going to be a very tough sell to me. I want to be able to play any of the previous strikes or raids, patrols, etc.

Yup. I do not trust Bungie to make Destiny 2 have the same content as the game does now in time.

I have also heard that D2 is coming to PC and that Vicarious Visions is working on it. Don't know about raid matchmaking (that'd be dumb imo unless they finally make matchmaking an option rather than a setting).

I expect D2 to feel more like a new game than a continuation of D1. What I heard is that the reason it was rebooted earlier this year (and is now helmed by GAF poster Luke Smith) is because the original version felt too much like an expansion. I'm expecting them to change everything. I don't think Bungie has decided yet what you'll be able to bring over from year 1 or what you'll get as a reward for being a long-term player. But I expect a fresh start.

This is what I want. The old stuff is played out. And PC pls.

Lingitiz

i stopped at house of wolves but what the point of 2 without all the content of 1
it's a huge miss on lore. How wil they handle that ?
The storytelling in Destiny is such a joke that it honestly doesn't matter.

As for those asking for Crossplay, the PC version will probably need to be balanced differently in terms of weapons with certain range stats and things like that which affect aim magnetism.

Gator86

The storytelling in Destiny is such a joke that it honestly doesn't matter.

As for those asking for Crossplay, the PC version will probably need to be balanced differently in terms of weapons with certain range stats and things like that which affect aim magnetism.

Yeah, Destiny has no story basically. It has lore, if you want to spend time on your computer reading about the world.

And Jesus, I can't imagine asking Bungie to balance anything else. They are simply garbage are game balance these days. They will just lump everything that needs to be balanced together (pve/pvp; console/pc; etc.) and say fuck it.

I want a halo like story campaign that can be done in coop the same way Halo was. You can split the chapters into "missions" for replayability but they key is that it needs to feel like a campaign. None of this randomly split stories with a small synopsis in front. Full on cutscenes, giant setpieces, boss battles. We need to have battlefields with vehicle combat, including space craft. It's ridiculous to have a game about the entire galaxy have no space gameplay.

The strikes should be redone so that they play out like mini raids that are run with three people. They need more puzzle oriented team based missions and there should be a bunch of them.

The patrol should be its own MMO like space with random quests. Larger areas to mess around with, tons of secrets to find, different difficulty level areas like have a part of the map filled with super high level enemies so you have some sort of progression.

Raids should keep doing what they are doing as it's the only thing I feel they nailed in destiny 1. Just have more of them.

On top of all there should be real modifiers to all the content so that it feels fresh. Just making it harder and making one weapon type do more damage is not changing things. Have missions go full remix with entirely different enemy load outs. Create boss rush modes. Have speed run events where the community competes in certain mission for the best times and the top half wins something. Create weekly exotic bounty challenges, why the hell is some random dude just standing around giving you exotics every week , turn that into quality content!

We need stuff TO PLAY. The grind sucks, repetition sucks. It shouldn't be that damn hard to constantly create new ways to play old missions, to create events.

Top Bottom