• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Leaked stages/characters from Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale [Updated]

Majority of the fans I have talk to pretty much hate FFVIII. But Squall is a badass. The draw mechanic, the fact that card farming was the way to build up and the convoluted storyline are the major complaints.

Honestly, I would rather take either a FFX rep or a FF6 rep.

And for FF7 I would rather bloody take Sephiroth.

Beth Cyra

How comes the best PSP franchise doesn't count? :p

And I said Cloud was relevant. But I am pretty sure he lost that over the years. SE moved on, and so did Final Fantasy. They used him all they could.

I agree that he is more important for the PS brand than Lightning, but again, since you have Dante in it, you can't expect much, right?

Really Sarcastic? lol Hyperbole there?

No, it isn't even close. Cloud is the single most popular Final Fantasy character.

Also SE and the fanbase hasn't moved on. They answer the Remake question every few months for fun, nor do they talk about their new engine at first with a picture of Cloud, or have Cloud lead off their new products when introducing new figure lines.

Will Cloud be the most popular character forever? Maybe not, but as of now it is without doubt him, and anyone trying to say otherwise is lying to themselves.

I can't believe this game has a ton of actual proven leaks and the thing people most want to do is speculate about which FF character should be in the game even though there may not be one in at all.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Lightning is at least visually interesting. Cloud is mostly "spike hair plus big sword", but Lightning has a nice flair to her. I'd take her over Cloud for that alone.

It's a good enough Point. Lightning doesn't look like... anyone else in this game. Cloud would look like Spike's father. (Thus, the spawn of Fat Princess X Cloud!)

Why does everyone want Cloud over Sephiroth anyway? Sephi LOOKS like a Playstation! Color wise, anywho.

Beth Cyra

Majority of the fans I have talk to pretty much hate FFVIII. But Squall is a badass. The draw mechanic, the fact that card farming was the way to build up and the convoluted storyline are the major complaints.

Honestly, I would rather take either a FFX rep or a FF6 rep.

And for FF7 I would rather bloody take Sephiroth.

Again this "majority" of people you mention are nonsense.

VIII wasn't universally loved, but every indication and source for large scale popularity shows VIII's lovers far out weigh the haters.

k_Reign

Guys, chill. We don't need extremely passionate people butting heads on two opposing subjects that both of you are passionate about. No one is going to budge. So just drop it and let it wait until the official reveal. It's not like you're going to change the lineup, anyway.

Ploid 3.0

Ya'know now that I think about it, this absolutely isn't all the code. Nobody found the code for the boss, after all. Nor the cutscenes, and who knows what else.

You bet it isn't final, it's old, and big daddy isn't there.

Edit: I liked FF8 a lot.

Verendus

Banned
Where did I say she was more liked? I said she was liked by those who PLAYED 13 and beat it. SO learn to read.

Also VIII is considered by the most to be the worst.

Also: My favorite character from 13 was Sazh. My favorite FF was 6 and IV.
I played 13 and beat it. I think Lightning is one of the worst characters to have graced any FF. She's dull. That's the nicest way to describe her.

The problem here is that out of all FF characters that you can pick that are heavily associated with Playstation, we get Lightning.

This isn't about Cloud "fanboys", he's just the most recognisable FF character (him or Sephiroth, take your pick), and happens to be the lead of the most recognisable FF in general. So he's obvious pick number one.

But how many FF's are associated with Playstation heavily? Aside from Cloud, there is Sephiroth, Yuna, Auron, Tifa, Tidus, Vivi, Zidane, Balthier, Squall etc.

There are plenty of other options, and a lot of them happen to be more popular than Lightning. I get it's milking season over at SE these days, but this game isn't going to get much more exposure because Lightning is involved. And I seriously doubt Lightning is going to be helped by being included in it.

There's bigger names in the game already.

That's pretty much the point. Cloud is a huge historic character and was extremely important to PlayStation.

Lightning is a cool character from the most recent (ill-received) Final Fantasy game; the one that went multiplatform and represents the opposite of a 'PlayStation All-Star' scenario. It doesn't even matter which one is a better character (you're allowed to have bad taste), the fact is that Cloud is more iconic, more popular, and much more associated with PlayStation.

Listen to this man, he's talking sense.

LuuKyK

Right. This is probably derailing the thread at this point. That was my opinion, and I am sure everyone pretty much has its own. So lets call it a day.

I played 13 and beat it. I think Lightning is one of the worst characters to have graced any FF. She's dull. That's the nicest way to describe her.

The problem here is that out of all FF characters that you can pick that are heavily associated with Playstation, we get Lightning.

This isn't about "Cloud" fanboys, he's just the most recognisable FF character, and happens to be the lead of the most recognisable FF in general. So he's obvious pick number one.

But how many FF's are associated with Playstation heavily? Aside from Cloud, there is Sephiroth, Yuna, Auron, Tifa, Tidus, Vivi, Zidane, Balthier, Squall etc.

There are plenty of other options, and a lot of them happen to be more popular than Lightning. I get it's milking season over at SE these days, but this game isn't going to get much more exposure because Lightning is involved.

There's bigger names in the game already.

Its funny that your argument against Light is that she is dull, yet you love Cloud which is probably the dullest character to ever grace the franchise. It's pretty clear to me that you associate your hate to the game to the characters in it.

Guys, chill. We don't need extremely passionate people butting heads on two opposing subjects that both of you are passionate about. No one is going to budge. So just drop it and let it wait until the official reveal. It's not like you're going to change the lineup, anyway.

Arguing is just another form of discussion! RAWR RAWR RABBLE RABBLE!

k_Reign

But it really should be Cloud.

YOU'RE NOT HELPING

tumblr_m2bnfzSZLk1rohw9wo1_500.gif

LET THIS ARGUING DIIIIIIE

come on guys

be nice

Listen to this man, he's talking sense.

No, he's not. When Sony approach SE, SE will look at this as a marketing exercise. It's not about what is historically most important or anything else; it's about what they want to push at the time.

This is the same reason we have 'new' Dante and not old Dante, for instance, and why Big Daddy is being paired with a stage from a Bioshock game he isn't even in.

SE have been pushing Lightning for the past several years now, and a third game with her in a major role is incoming. I'm willing to bet that if there's an FF rep, it'll be her. It would've been Cloud if this had been the start of the gen, when SE was going crazy with Cloud for AC promotion, and it probably would've been Noctis if Versus was being actively promoted at this point.

Boss Man

The arguing is dumb anyway, it should be Cloud but it's not going to be. If we get one at all, it's going to be Lightning. The end, unfortunately.

The Raiden over Snake thing is something we talked about in the big discussion thread a bit. Raiden is a fantastic addition, but no Snake is hard to swallow. Not sure if it's worth it or not. From a roster standpoint, it isn't. From a gameplay standpoint, it probably is.

Beth Cyra

Lets talk about Metal Gear instead. Raiden is a great choice, but no Snake????

Been years since MGS4, Revengance is on it's way and it's very possible that Snake could end up in Smash 4.

Why not promote a major character who has a major title coming out in the near future when the other can be done later?

sn00zer

You can be disappointed in certain character being in or not ....but damn if youve got Jak, Ratchet, Kratos, Spike,Parappa, Dan, Heihachi, Drake, Sly, and Sackboy you have got a goddamn great representation of relevant Sony franchises

Verendus

Banned
Right. This is probably derailing the thread at this point. That was my opinion, and I am sure everyone pretty much has its own. So lets call it a day.

Its funny that your argument against Light is that she is dull, yet you love Cloud which is probably the dullest character to ever grace the franchise. It's pretty clear to me that you associate your hate to the game to the characters in it.
Which part of my post did you not comprehend?

The crux of my argument is to include a character who is actually associated with the Playstation history. In the same post you're quoting, I mentioned several other choices.

I understand why she's being included, I just think she's a shit choice regardless. I'd rather another PS character like Wander than her.

Anyhow, I've said my piece.

Drago

TheMink's source said something about Musashi, but he doesn't understand what he meant

He could be in, but everyone is doubting it

Ryce

I love the Sony characters in the game. The selection is fantastic. It's the third party roster that puts a damper on everything.

Lets talk about Metal Gear instead. Raiden is a great choice, but no Snake????

Raiden is fine, he brings a lot more to the table than Snake would. Snake just doesn't work in games like this, even in Brawl they had to give him stupid moves like the CYPHER to make him a viable character.

If Snake wasn't already in Smash Bros. and if PS All Stars wasn't already filled with gun-using characters, then he'd make some sense. But from a gameplay and promotional standpoint, Raiden works for this game.

Enough about the third party let-downs, though. I really, really want to see Ratchet, Sir Daniel, Sackboy and Spike in action. They're going to be amazing additions to the lineup.

HardRojo

Seriously? This has turned into a FF fans argument? If anything I'm not a FF fan but I've played VII, VIII, X and a bit of the first XIII and still find either Cloud or Sephiroth a much better choice than Lightning, for a game that is supposed to be about PlayStation All Stars I feel like Lightning shouldn't be part of at all, Cloud and Sephiroth were huge icons for the PlayStation brand during the PSX era so it makes much more sense to add them to a PS cast oriented game and I still think someone who has a picture of Lightning as their avatar should present better reasons than "Square Enix already moved on, Cloud was a thing of the past right?" because otherwise just makes you look biased.

k_Reign

TheMink's source said something about Musashi, but he doesn't understand what he meant

He could be in, but everyone is doubting it

No, he said that he was a possibility as an alternate costume or something similar.

On another note, all this arguing is ridiculous.

seinfield.gif

LuuKyK

Which part of my post did you not comprehend?

The crux of my argument is to include a character who is actually associated with the Playstation history.

In the same post you're quoting, I mentioned several other choices.

Errr... I got your main point, I was just talking about your Cloud is the best argument. Also, I mentioned it already, but how can you expect that when you have Dino in the game?

Verendus

Banned
I love the Sony characters in the game. The selection is fantastic. It's the third party roster that puts a damper on everything.
Pretty much. The icing on the cake would be to get someone like Tomba in now. But most of the first party picks have been really good. The majority of the PS franchies are represented well.

And it's good they didn't make some mistake like including Sev instead of a Helghan like Radec.

Edit:

Errr... I got your main point, I was just talking about your Cloud is the best argument. Also, I mentioned it already, but how can you expect that when you have Dino in the game?
Clearly, you didn't since you seemed to be under the impression I'm recommeding Cloud because I "love" him rather than because he's the lead of the most recognisable FF game and an iconic video game character. But it's okay. We all make mistakes.

Yeah, having Big Daddy is kind of ok I guess, but Raiden, new Dante, and his minion no one ever heard of. It feels like its promoting those multiplatform games, not celebrating PlayStation.

Hypereides

Gold Member
I hope that those characters that "didnt" make the roster will at least be bosses.

Such as Robbit, Vib Ribbon, Devil Dice devil etc. etc.

Its a shame if Robbit didnt make it, considering he starred in one of the first PS early games in PS history.

Desmond

I still think we'll get Snake as well as Raiden. Maybe MGS5's Big Boss? Kojima loves crossovers

re:FF I'd rather have Lightning, needs more ladies.

Well so far the only character interest me gameplay wise is big daddy and maybe Jak.

With the leaks, I'm only interested in DMC (slightly), and lighting (please be good gameplay wise).

I'm on the fence whether or not I'll buy this day 1 vita/ps3 bundle currently, and the character trailers might push me one way or another.

TheMink

No, he said that he was a possibility as an alternate costume or something similar.

On another note, all this arguing is ridiculous.

seinfield.gif

Both of you are right. Musashi was just barley mentioned by my source in a sort of ethereal way.
He made it seem like an alternate costume, but could be a character too, or it could be nothing at all.

Top Bottom