• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Leaked stages/characters from Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale [Updated]

Boss Man

The more I hear about this game the less excited I get for it. I went from "day 1" when it was announced to not even planning on buying it.

The Super-only KO system sounds absolutely terrible, especially since I hated Smash Balls and any other OHKO items in Brawl. And the roster on this game looks mediocre at best. Every third party decision has been awful.

I still look forward to playing a beta or demo eventually before I pass final judgement on it, but it's really disappointing that this doesn't seem anywhere close to the game I wanted.
Definitely do give the demo a shot, because the game is an absolute blast to play. I doubted the mechanics too, but man does it hold up when you're playing it.

I agree with the third party stuff though. I feel like some of this stuff would have been better just not being in the game.

J-Tier

The more I hear about this game the less excited I get for it. I went from "day 1" when it was announced to not even planning on buying it.

The Super-only KO system sounds absolutely terrible, especially since I hated Smash Balls and any other OHKO items in Brawl. And the roster on this game looks mediocre at best. Every third party decision has been awful.

I still look forward to playing a beta or demo eventually before I pass final judgement on it, but it's really disappointing that this doesn't seem anywhere close to the game I wanted.

All that right there, not an issue. Many of us can vouch that it's a really fun and rewarding mechanic.

The only real "issue" is roster inclusions.

Sid

You and me both! I love MGS and would have and still would like to see Snake, but I would pick Raiden over Snake if forced. There I said it. In a fighting game Raiden is just more interesting to me. Same with Dante, could care less how he looked because he too will be an awesome character to play as. Plus Alternate costumes fix this whole original and "Not Playstation" one.

Just for the record i don't hate dino or DMC in fact i think it looks awesome but i really hate his inclusion in the game and don't you think having the OG dante as a costume would make him look like a sidey?i do and i think if the og dante is in he should be his own character and not a costume

Jeels

These posts can't be serious, right? Play the game then form an opinion, there will be a beta and most likely a demo for this game.

Err, if there are not any characters I am interested in, why would I buy a character roster based fighting game?

There is none! :D

Apparently they play very differently though, but I still see it as a waste

And, I'm done.

It's funny really: out of all the third-party additions, the one I'm most enthusiastic about is Dante. I'm really quite excited for DmC. The other characters range from indifference (Big Daddy/Heihachi) to outright revulsion (Raiden/Lightning).

It's the first-party selection that really saves this game's roster.

Ploid 3.0

That raiden gif looks like one of the most violent things I've seen in a game. Side note, I really hate the Saw movies because of their gross body cutting/torture. This reminded me of that kind of thing.

LuuKyK

It's funny really: out of all the third-party additions, the one I'm most enthusiastic about is Dante. I'm really quite excited for DmC. The other characters range from indifference (Big Daddy/Heihachi) to outright revulsion (Raiden/Lightning).

Bad taste confirmed.

How comes you hate the most blessed character you mentioned?

TheMink

That raiden gif looks like one of the most violent things I've seen in a game. Side note, I really hate the Saw movies because of their gross body cutting/torture. This reminded me of that kind of thing.

If it makes you feel better, thats a robot thing hes slicing. Idk why it has blood :p

Mr. Fix

Sir Dan/Spike getting in over Wander. Why?! Aside from that, I'd agree that the first-party really does save it.

Verendus

Banned
Yeah, maybe to you. I know a lot of people that have only played 13 as far as Final Fantasy games go and they would love to see Lightning in the game. There are a lot of people that have a lot of different experiences. No one here can speak for all of them.
Cloud's inclusion would bring far more exposure than Lightnings. Regardless of how many people you know who've only played FF13 and no other FF, of which there are likely little. This is a simple fact. Cloud is a legitimate gaming and Playstation icon. He's by far more recognisable than any FF character. Heck, he's more recognisable than the All Stars roster which has been confirmed so far.

Lightning is a FF lead from one the most ill received FF games. She's not a character western audiences would receive well (she looks like a joke for one) and there are far more popular FF characters for the Eastern audience.

She has her little fanbase. But so do plenty of other trite characters.

What does Lightning's inclusion actually bring? Aside from Lightning finally being part of a good game on a console?

Jeels

???

They could have added Jenifer....... I mean Kat from Gravity daze

Honestly they could have added anyone, I just hate it when slots are wasted on the same character. It'd be an entirely different thing if Cole could switch between his good/evil forms or something, but two versions of the same character in a game whose main selling point is its roster is such a bad decision.

And I don't mean it as a slight to inFamous at all, but let's be honest, it is one of the least popular PS3 IPs, so why exactly is it getting two slots?

Your anectodal evidence means little.

Cloud's inclusion would bring far more exposure than Lightnings. Regardless of how many people you know who've only played FF13, of which there are likely little. This is a simple fact.

Cloud is a legitimate gaming and Playstation icon.

Lightning is a FF lead from one the most ill received FF games. She's not a character western audiences would receive well (she looks like a joke for one) and there are far more popular FF characters for the Eastern audience.

Wait, are they really going with Lightning over Cloud?

KingK

Did you play the beta?

It is one of the most fun I had ever.

Didn't get a code :(

I want to like the game, I'm just extremely skeptical based on everything I've heard and seen. And so far I've only been talking about major problems I have with the game like the roster and combat system. I haven't even talked about the shitty sound effects or mediocre visuals and art style.

Ploid 3.0

The Cole thing could be something like picking alt characters in fighting games (Evil Ryu, Tiger Jackson/Eddie Gordo, etc.).

I remember people saying the graphics were bleh in this game, but I forgot to mention how I thought the graphics were darn good while playing the demo. I especially noticed it because when they start the matches they do a really close up view on things like the environment then the characters. Those Sly, Killzone, and Bioshock stages look even better because of the different art styles and I just know they are going to look awesome on the screen.

LuuKyK

I think we may be alone in this whole wanting Lightning thing :p

lightning_gif___final_fantasy_xiii_2_by_tillia_harvestasya-d4kg1hz.gif

Well, the Farron Godess will remain unbothered by all this hate in here and find her path into this magnificent game.

cyborg009

Banned
Didn't get a code :(

I want to like the game, I'm just extremely skeptical based on everything I've heard and seen. And so far I've only been talking about major problems I have with the game like the roster and combat system. I haven't even talked about the shitty sound effects or mediocre visuals and art style.

Clockw0rk told us that they're working and UI and other stuff but aside that most people who played the game actually likes it.

J-Tier

Other 3rd party studios not cooperating and 1st party ip's not being viable so they need to fill the slots.

It could also be a significant story mode element. Many of us are probably jumping the gun.

And I highly doubt the last bit about 1st party ips not being viable.

Err, if there are not any characters I am interested in, why would I buy a character roster based fighting game?

And, I'm done.

Well it is a Playstation All Stars game so if the only character you were looking forward to was in the hands of a 3rd party publisher to decide, then you should have been prepared for this.

As for Cole, no one from Superbot has commented on any of this leak stuff, for all we know it could all be misinformation. And "Evil Cole" could simply be a stance change they were saving to reveal later.

This whole thread and the reason it still says rumor has all been about embedded files from a beta and all of the data embedded is older than the beta build. So it may be wise to not jump to many conclusions about what any of it means just yet.

KingK

Definitely do give the demo a shot, because the game is an absolute blast to play. I doubted the mechanics too, but man does it hold up when you're playing it.

I agree with the third party stuff though. I feel like some of this stuff would have been better just not being in the game.

Clockw0rk told us that they're working and UI and other stuff but aside that most people who played the game actually likes it.

All that right there, not an issue. Many of us can vouch that it's a really fun and rewarding mechanic.

The only real "issue" is roster inclusions.

This all sounds promising. Hopefully I'm impressed when I actually play it, because I've been wanting to play a Sony Smash Bros. for the better part of 10 years now lol.

Sponge

Banned
I'm still just a tad shocked about Crash, I mean I knew about how Sony doesn't own him anymore. It's just, Activision isn't even doing anything with him. It's makes me just as sad as how I see Microsoft treat Banjo-Kazooie

qrWgB.jpg

In a perfect world, oh hey not all things are perfect I guess <3

Jeels

Well it is a Playstation All Stars game so if the only character you were looking forward to was in the hands of a 3rd party publisher to decide, then you should have been prepared for this.

As for Cole, no one from Superbot has commented on any of this leak stuff, for all we know it could all be misinformation. And "Evil Cole" could simply be a stance change they were saving to reveal later.

This whole thread and the reason it still says rumor has all been about embedded files from a beta and all of the data embedded is older than the beta build. So it may be wise to not jump to many conclusions about what any of it means just yet.

Fair enough. I guess it's just a matter of patience then.

It could also be a significant story mode element. Many of us are probably jumping the gun.

And I highly doubt the last bit about 1st party ips not being viable.

I mean as characters in the game being recognizable/ gameplay opportunities/ sony not wanting them brought back into the limelight for whatever reason.

J-Tier

I'm still just a tad shocked about Crash, I mean I knew about how Sony doesn't own him anymore. It's just, Activision isn't even doing anything with him. It's makes me just as sad as how I see Microsoft treat Banjo-Kazooie

cb3box-europe.jpg

I've always disliked Activision, they seem to be legitimate a-holes. But I shouldn't assume...they can potentially be a part of the "unlockable roster"

Drago

As for my opinions on the roster...

1st Party: Great! :D

3rd Party: Disappointing. :/

I got all three characters I really wanted (Jak, Parappa, Spike) so I'm still in. :)

Sponge

Banned
I've always disliked Activision, they seem to be legitimate a-holes. But I shouldn't assume...they can potentially be a part of the "unlockable roster"

Eh, I'm gonna believe Mink on this one. After how many people are asking, Sony may moneyhat him for DLC.

cyborg009

Banned

qrWgB.jpg

They will probably be DLC. I'm sure of it

KingK

As for my opinions on the roster...

1st Party: Great! :D

3rd Party: Disappointing. :/

I got all three characters I really wanted (Jak, Parappa, Spike) so I'm still in. :)

Yeah, I'm not completely disappointed in the roster, I guess. The first party lineup seems pretty balanced and solid. They just dropped the ball big time on those third party choices.

Also, I would like to have Lightning in if the only other option is no FF character at all, but Cloud is the obvious one that should get in.

DLC is evolving into a really monstrous business strategy. I really hate it. I remember how the idea was so novel, but now it just leaves a bitter aftertaste.
Agreed. I don't really like the idea of DLC characters. I would rather they just launch with a solid roster and save new characters for the sequel. (Unless it sells terribly and doesn't get a sequel. Then have at it with the DLC).

TDLink

Let's be real though, this stuff is all most likely true. There are datamined pictures as well as file names. There could be more to it than just this but this stuff is almost certainly at this point not misinformation.

Lightning is the most popular of the FF13 characters and I kinda am laughing at the Cloud fanboys complaining.

Always showing there immaturity.

Evil Cole will play nothing like good Cole. So please drop the clone argument.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The most obvious stage (Colossus) is nowhere to be found. The roster is disappointing and probably be laden with DLC, so this will be a <$30 purchase.

J-Tier

Evil Cole will play nothing like good Cole. So please drop the clone argument.

In my case, it's not the idea of a clone, but the fact that the roster is supposed to include a variety of characters across Playstation history. The fact that infamous has two (it's not even Nix or Kuo) while everything else has only one rep is kinda odd. We could get Nefarious, Carmelita, Sully, and other supporting cast members that have way more significance than a "non-canon" version of Cole.

Yeah, I'm not completely disappointed in the roster, I guess. The first party lineup seems pretty balanced and solid. They just dropped the ball big time on those third party choices.

Also, I would like to have Lightning in if the only other option is no FF character at all, but Cloud is the obvious one that should get in.

Let me break down the conversation between Sony and every 3rd party publisher for this game.

Sony: Hi, (insert 3rd party here) we would really love to have (insert favorite character here) for our upcoming game as we feel he is an iconic character and celebrates Playstation.

3rd Party: Wow that sounds great but we rather you use this (character in a recent or upcoming release) instead.

Sony: That character though nice is not what our fans think of when they think of Playstation's history, so we would really rather have (original choice)

3rd Party: By rather, we actually meant that's the only character you will get, and screw your history. We got games to sell as well. Goodbye.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Old enough for there to still be surprises, almost certainly.

Yeah, I think so. There is no files on Lightning and Big Daddy

Yeah, the Brawl Dojo was the perfect way to do theses reveals. They just kept things coming everyday. There was no need to have leaks or whatever.

We had a leak but we didn't believe it in first place.

Didn't Paul say the fighting game character hint also hinted at another not-yet-revealed character after the Toro/Heihachi reveal?

I recalled that, so we will see what's happens. He could twisted his words and make sense out of it.

Just remembered that Paul said that there was going to be an RPG character, and I don't really see one here. That gives me hope.

Lol, yeah. Right now I just feel somewhat disappointed, but I'd probably be nerd-raging if Bond was confirmed.

That would be Lightning. I was hoping that it would be dark cloud character.

ibbzL3WPBL4ewE.gif

I see you Mink. Don't think I forgot about Lightning.

Just Chill, and wait until TGS :p

The most obvious stage (Colossus) is nowhere to be found. The roster is disappointing and probably be laden with DLC, so this will be a <$30 purchase.

I dont mind colossus and dark cloud stage cross over.

Ploid 3.0

I was a FF fan (not hardcore but I played 7, 8, 10, 11, 12) and I skipped 13 like the plague, but I have no problem with Lightning over Cloud. Sure as a playstation history character he is more of a Playstation Star than Lightning, but what can you do? We Probably have to think of it as a fight club where only a few know about it, and for game two they call for backup, getting higher ranking characters to help represent their brand (more wooing of the companies that hold the rights to the character).

I still have hopes of a ICO/SOTC character being in in some way, even if it's just a awesome Colossus level.

Top Bottom