• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New CoD is set in WW1 with alternate realities, has multiplayer, next-gen only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoday

This is all bullshit.

Does this look like WW1 to you?

cod-sledgehammer-ignpng-a29997_610w.png

Also, don't expect a next-gen only COD until 2015 at the earliest.
Every time I see that screenshot, the guy with the beanie makes me think of Battlefield: Bad Company, and then I remember that this is CoD.

Also, a WWI game with the subtitle of "Patriots" makes zero sense to me and raises a giant red flag.

Pociask

I am sad that the closest we are getting to a big budget WW1 game is a fake internet rumour.

WW1 weapons would also be totally awesome. Machine guns, anti-tank rifles, bullets from standard infantry rifles that could go through brick walls a foot thick, grenades - razor wire, trench digging tools, massive artillery barrages, the birth of aerial combat and bombardment - what's not to like (for a video game)?

Just don't play any of the early battles where the British and French though it'd be a good idea to take heavily fortified positions with full frontal assaults. Read the Storm of Steel for an example of German shock troops. Alternatively, look at fronts that weren't stalemated - the Eastern Front, the battles in Africa, etc.

Also, a WWI game with the subtitle of "Patriots" makes zero sense to me and raises a giant red flag.

I thought that was a little odd too.
Unless it's a Black Ops style, US intelligence angle on WW1. So in all likelihood your right, makes no sense.

Kiant

- The main campaign is expected to last just 6 hours. However, there will be TWO Sub-Campaigns. We aren't sure what exactly this means.
I know what it means, it begins with D at the start, L in the middle and C at the end.

Bandit1

Based on the teaser image I don't believe this is true. Iraq/Afghanistan or a fictional war in the near future seems more likely.

Matriox

I would personally prefer it this way rather than their recent games. I would love it if they would go a silly route much like Farcry Blood Dragon, make it way over the top and rediculous instead of trying to be so serious..

MormaPope

Banned
World At War is one of the best COD. Behind MW1.

I liked CoD4 and Black Ops 1 the most, then CoD2, then the rest all sorta get ranked randomly. World at War to me felt like a huge downgrade from CoD4 when it came to the smoothness of gunplay, map design, and killstreaks.

The best bet for CoD in the future is to make it bigger, more expansive.

Alec

WW1 with fantasy elements and alternate realities?

I am certainly no fan of CoD but this sounds amazing.

Kyzer

Banned
this rumor is weird.

CoD returns to its WWI roots ! in a game called Patriots ! that DOES INDEED HAVE A MULTIPLAYER MODE! (shh its a leak)

-no split screen.

what is this i dont even

DieH@rd

Banned
I dont think this rumor is true...

..but I would like for Acti/EA to go back to WW1/WW2 at least once during this gen with AAA game.

MormaPope

Banned
World War 1 isn't CoD's roots. World War 2 is.

WW2, wide array of vehicles, killstreaks go back to CoD4 simplicity, balance all the perks, huge maps, 48 vs. 48 multiplayer, weapon customization, solider customization. Basically make Battlefield 1942 for the CoD audience.

Shame the subtitle is not Trench Warfare. I guess the alternate history rumor will get around that little problem of WW1. So how did they manage it, no invention of barbed wire or tinned cans?

Seems like too strange a direction to be plausible.

takoyaki

This sounds kinda interesting, any chance they would go the Assassins Creed route and release two different games for last/current gen?

Man, I love WW I history and was discussing to friends how this would be hard to pull off for Call of Duty. Prove me wrong, Sledgehammer.

But it is probably just a fake rumor. :(

I'd love a slower, more deliberately paced World War I shooter but unfortunately I don't think that I'm very representative of the market at large and publishers know that.

Eusis

PS: It's current gen. Get with the times people!
Screw that. I'll call PS3 and 360 last gen but until we're seeing PS4 and XB1 games as the standard I'm not calling this current gen. You all sound ridiculous saying it when we barely have games on the systems and too few exclusives, especially when you turn around and say you don't even have one of the systems.

... Anyways this sounds too bold for Activision. I'll wait on something more solid.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Screw that. I'll call PS3 and 360 last gen but until we're seeing PS4 and XB1 games as the standard I'm not calling this current gen. You all sound ridiculous saying it when we barely have games on the systems and top few exclusives, especially when you turn around and say you don't even have one of the systems.

... Anyways this sounds too bold for Activision. I'll wait on something more solid.

Don't be silky, it's not next gen anymore, as it is not what's coming next, it's what we have been playing for 6 months now.

PS4/XBO are current gen. 360/PS3 are last gen.

This would definitely interest me more than a modern warfare... It would be a good challenge for the developer, how to make pre-WW2 combat engaging for the twitch shooter audience. So far, no developer (major studio, independent mod studio, etc) has really ever been able to make a pre-WW2 game compelling. Sure, there have been attempts, but none have done it really well.

I'd love to see what sort of interesting things they do with weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom