• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New CoD is set in WW1 with alternate realities, has multiplayer, next-gen only

Status
Not open for further replies.
was posted in other thread by Neuromancer.

http://www.bubblews.com/news/3190403-call-of-duty-2014-announcement-call-of-duty-patriots

- The official name of the game is Call of Duty: Patriots.

- The project name is 'BlackSmith' - Smith Black being ONE of the main characters in the game.

- The game is being developed by Sledgehammer - Who intend to do a 3-part series.

- The setting is going back to the roots of CoD and will be set in a fictional version of The Great War (World War I).

- There will be more of a 'Fantasy' element to the game - One example we have been given is the fact that one of the main characters is from a previous CoD game, but in an alternate reality.

- There will be a multiplayer mode in the game as well as a single player mode. The single player mode can be done via Co-Op. However, this can only be done online. There is no Split Screen.

- The main campaign is expected to last just 6 hours. However, there will be TWO Sub-Campaigns. We aren't sure what exactly this means.

- The game will only be developed for PC, PS4 and Xbox One - There is no chance of a WiiU or last-gen version.

- The release data is currently scheduled for November 14th 2014.

highly likely this is false because of no prev gen version but megaton if true as next gen adoption will be way quicker

The tagline is ready: Let's jump the shark all together!

ShinMaruku

No way they're doing next gen only for like 2-3 years, waaaaay too much money being left on the table

As last gen sales tank there is no money being left on the table. There is a window but when the next gen numbers cross 15-20 million that potential money becomes a myth.

It's possible Sledgehammer is only working on XBO/PS4 and another studio is handling the ports.
Which means the game is on last gen too. Doesn't matter who made it.

But anyway that isn't the only alarm bell in this rumour.

And on top of all that Smith Black might just be the worst character name ever.

Fictional World War I with alternate realities? I mean what.

There were rumors that another dev team (High Moon Studios) was making the PS3/360 versions.

Maybe they're pulling an ass creed and allowing them to make different games on top of it.
Switch to 3 year cycle removed time constraints and thus the studios can/should be able to handle both.

Sounds terrible to be honest. If you are going to do a particular period of war then do it properly. This alternate reality shit just sounds like the 'perfect' excuse to throw loads of stupid perks and weaponry where it doesn't belong.

Next gen only sounds a bit off too. That's a lot of money left on the table and Activision love money.

One reality WW1 happens in 1914 the other 2014...

This is what I'm thinking. There's no way they'll have just WW1 weapons because of MP.

Similar to how Black Ops 2 was set in the near future and the cold/vietnam war, but only the modern/future weapons and locations were used for multiplayer.

Every COD switches between 2 story lines, some are concurrent, some aren't.

prag16

Banned
As last gen sales tank there is no money being left on the table. There is a window but when the next gen numbers cross 15-20 million that potential money becomes a myth.

Absolutely. But that last gen money window won't close this year. MAAAAYBE next year.

please be either WW1 or WW2.

im tired of guns that have no recoil.
the earlier COD games are great because none of the guns have laser sights, trackers, foregrips, and fire 1000 rounds per min.

Maybesew

This is all bullshit.

Does this look like WW1 to you?

cod-sledgehammer-ignpng-a29997_610w.png

Also, don't expect a next-gen only COD until 2015 at the earliest.

I don't believe these rumors, but it is possible that image is from a future/present scene that flashes back to where the main game plays. Maybe that guy is the grandson or great-grandson of a protagonist.

tkalamba

How would that even work judging off the recently released image of soldiers wearing modern gear?

I dont think it would at all... the image they already released has a plastic clip for the helmet. Something that I'm pretty confident WWI helmets didn't have. Unless of course this alternate WWI has technology advanced by a few decades.

Alienous

Sounds plausible.

I doubted that Sledgehammer would reveal their time period as candidly as releasing an image during GDC.

Also, Ghosts is very much Infinity Ward's three part series. Perhaps Sledgehammer has the breathing space of being set in the past.

Anyway, a good current gen rendition of WWI sounds interesting.

WW1????

That sounds like it would be lame.

Walk 3 feet out of trench and die? WOW! Such a riveting design!

Plus all the weapons would be one shot, bolt action rifles.

Unless they are going to SERIOUSLY ramp up this fantasy element, this game will be dull.

Aces&Eights

What sucks is that i would totally buy a WWI COD. The games now are an abortion but the older ones were so much fun. If the devs would just take a chance and make one without all the stupid load outs and perks and made the guns realistic they would probably sell a ton. Like a mix of Rainbow 6 and Counterstrike meets World At War.

The_Lump

Banned
Assuming this is nonsense given the picture we've seen (clearly not a helmet from 1914. Edit: oh yeah suppose it could be a flash-forward or something). Plus, WW1 was quite famously a war of attrition. Not exactly standard vidya game fair.

Suppose some flashback missions could be kinda cool, but would have to be handled tastefully/respectfully.

Now that I think about it... I dont think I can stomach a game based on a real war anymore. Seemed fine when I was a kid playing MOH and COH but now it just feels disrespectful.

WW1? Aren't the weapons going to suck shit?

Dont worry, I'm sure they'll figure out how to shoe-horn in lasers, rail-guns, shrink-rays, etc.... This is (another) COD. "Alternate reality" pretty much confirms it. They'll probably have fucking Nazi zombies in it too. Wrong war? No problem, its an alternate reality. Lol

Alternate history WW1 videogame on the 100th anniversary of the War would be the biggest disrespect to all those poor boys that died horrible death in the trenches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom